RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I've had some health issues crop up that have really, really, beat me down. I've never felt so mortal in my entire life.

On top of this I've been piled on at work (not a bad thing, but a bit too much at this time (example: you just come out of anasthesia to discover you've recently been made chair of a search comittee)).

If I survive the next couple of months, I'll try to be around a bit more. But the caveat is that I am also writing an intro chemistry lab manual (I'm starting small), and that will be my time to write it. Next is the the full text-book, but I need to convince a certain person to help me on that, since it's more than one person should do.

I hope to see you all more in the near future! I haven't forgotten ANY of you.

Keep fighting the clown dictator!

-P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 pm 

Writing a lab manual I understand. Teaching a lab using your own material makes a world of sense.

Penning a textbook strikes me as odd. What's the impetus behind this idea?

And - best wishes on your recovery.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Writing a lab manual I understand. Teaching a lab using your own material makes a world of sense.

Penning a textbook strikes me as odd. What's the impetus behind this idea?

And - best wishes on your recovery.

Most freshman texts are a dime a dozen, but I've still never seen one that actually made any sense. I'm getting tired of modifying my lesson plans so some other idiot (who can't write or organize thoughts properly) gets rich.

-P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:15 pm 

Most freshman texts are a dime a dozen, but I've still never seen one that actually made any sense. I'm getting tired of modifying my lesson plans so some other idiot (who can't write or organize thoughts properly) gets rich.

-P

This makes sense.

Been 20+ years since I finished undergrad work. I didn't buy textbooks until after 2-3 weeks of class my final year. Some weren't used, some weren't useful, and only one was actually needed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've had some health issues crop up that have really, really, beat me down. I've never felt so mortal in my entire life.

On top of this I've been piled on at work (not a bad thing, but a bit too much at this time (example: you just come out of anasthesia to discover you've recently been made chair of a search comittee)).

If I survive the next couple of months, I'll try to be around a bit more. But the caveat is that I am also writing an intro chemistry lab manual (I'm starting small), and that will be my time to write it. Next is the the full text-book, but I need to convince a certain person to help me on that, since it's more than one person should do.

I hope to see you all more in the near future! I haven't forgotten ANY of you.

Keep fighting the clown dictator!

-P

Sorry to hear about your health problems but it sounds like you're much better.

I hope when you write you'll use the principle of KISS so everyone will understand it. I remember taking chemistry in high school and the teacher began by balancing an equation on the blackboard and a lot of us couldn't figure out where he was getting the numbers from. I asked him to explain the numbers and from the look on his face he realized we weren't all math geniuses and took five minutes to explain which then made sense.

I love instructional books that are easy to read and understand because it makes learning, for me, easier. In the lat 80s I took a college statistics course and was lost in it so I dropped the class. I ried again and the instruction told us the book we'd use simplified statistics to the point he really didn't need to be in class and he was right. I got an "A" in the course because the book's author understood who his audience was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

No prob, Plunderer, do what you have to do for yourself. We'll keep the fort staffed and the powder dry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you need any help writing it or with the big words, don't forget I am a graduate of truck driving school.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

-P

There's a web service a number of the Professors my law school use where the instructors assemble their own material - cases and the like - that they want us to read and use that in place of a casebook. I like it because it's $49 for each course instead of a couple hundred dollars. Plus I can read the materials on my laptop or iPad instead of a big thick book like my Con Law I book from last semester.

My Con Law II professor didn't have us get any casebooks. He just posts PDF files of cases he wants us to read. Which is nice after that big ass brick I had to lug around for Con Law I.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

HI, P, good to see you.

remember many of us saying we prefer message boards to "FB"?
see?...FB is the exact problem many of us didnt want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 pm 

There's a web service a number of the Professors my law school use where the instructors assemble their own material - cases and the like - that they want us to read and use that in place of a casebook. I like it because it's $49 for each course instead of a couple hundred dollars. Plus I can read the materials on my laptop or iPad instead of a big thick book like my Con Law I book from last semester.

My Con Law II professor didn't have us get any casebooks. He just posts PDF files of cases he wants us to read. Which is nice after that big ass brick I had to lug around for Con Law I.

I remember reading your posts when you started law school. Have you finished?