RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

[url]=https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/starbucks-apologizes-black-men-handcuffed-hustled-philadelphia-location-viral-video/Sitting while black, of course[/url]:

“The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything,” DePino reported. “They were waiting for a friend to show up, who did as they were taken out in handcuffs for doing nothing.”

The racial implications of the arrest was apparent to the eyewitness.

“All the other white ppl are wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing,” DePino continued.

glen tries to tell me that not only is there no racism today, it's actually BETTER to be black, because they are the ones treated better in today's world.

Not bloody likely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

[url]=https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/starbucks-apologizes-black-men-handcuffed-hustled-philadelphia-location-viral-video/Sitting while black, of course[/url]:

“The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything,” DePino reported. “They were waiting for a friend to show up, who did as they were taken out in handcuffs for doing nothing.”

The racial implications of the arrest was apparent to the eyewitness.

“All the other white ppl are wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing,” DePino continued.

glen tries to tell me that not only is there no racism today, it's actually BETTER to be black, because they are the ones treated better in today's world.

Not bloody likely.

Yeah and ask them if they could turn Black and be perceived as such tomorrow morning, watch them walk that garbage right back.

Conservative whites really do think that the only treatment we should receive is enslavement by God's Favorites.

Anything else is racist against poor, victimized whites.

:problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:47 pm 
Policy Wonk

Arrested While Being Black.

Cons love this shit.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

They like for blacks to be reminded of their "place".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

police and business partnering up to defeat taxpayers with their own resources.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Waiting to meet your business contact at Starbucks when white...a daily occurence. Waiting to meet yiur business contact at Starbucks when you're black...a fucking felony.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

The right will run away from this, because they think there was nothing wrong with this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:51 am 
Board Emeritus

I've had extensive contact with the Starbucks company. For several years I was in and out of their shops doing service work in the bay area, where their regional corporate office is.

For starters Starbucks is a gay company. By that I mean almost all of their upper executive persons are gay men or lesbian women. It is a gay culture.

Trying to make this event which happened at one of their shops into a left/right issue is not on the mark. They have thousands of shops and this happened at one of them. It doesn't mean it is the way they are. It means someone interacted poorly with another, and someone else took a video of that interaction.

With the number of shops they have and the thousands of employees they have interacting with millions of customers things like this statistically will happen.

They are one of the least discriminatory companies I know of. One of the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Starbucks is not a gay company or a gay culture, any more than Target is.

I would not want to be Rosalind Brewer right now, though.

Brewer, ha. I bet she's never heard that clever little joke before. Anyway...

New Starbucks COO Rosalind Brewer Is First Woman to Hold Position - NBC

She also happens to be from my mother's sorority.

Quote:
Former Sam’s Club executive Rosalind Brewer has been named the new chief operating officer and group president of Starbucks, the company announced Wednesday. Brewer is the first woman and African-American to hold the position.

Brewer joined Starbucks in March as part of the 14-member of the board of directors. She served in several executive leadership positions at Walmart and is a former Sam’s Club CEO and president, where she became the first woman and African-American to lead a division of the Walmart brand.

Brewer, a “passionate customer” of Starbucks with a name one could say is destiny, is excited about her new role.

“I am so honored to have the pleasure of working with the Starbucks leadership team to realize our highest of aspirations for the company and I look forward to working closely with the astute and talented leaders across the enterprise,” Brewer said in a statement.

From Walmart to Starbuck's. Well, good on her, I guess. I bet she endured a ton of headaches this weekend, tho.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 am 
Board Emeritus

The important lesson here is to never confuse a corporation with our commons. Unlike a public library or a public square, Starbucks exists for one reason: To make the maxim profit possible. Starbucks isn't a public commons, it's a private business that will allow you in it as long as it makes money for them. The point that the bathrooms are for paying customers only is important. They have no problem with withholding a human being's basic needs as they see fit. It doesn't matter if there isn't another bathroom for miles, or if there are no public facilities.

As a teen, I spent a lot of time in the public library. There were people that spent their days in the library, reading and learning, even if they weren't wealthy enough to buy their own books.

I saw that one should never think for a moment that Barnes and Nobel was any substitute for a public library. Sure, you could set and read for a while, but after a while, if you weren't a paying customer, you would be removed.

Starbucks isn't the commons. If you don't fit into their business model, out you go. Since I have no interest in overpriced coffee, I am rarely in one. They can keep it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 am 
Board Emeritus

The important lesson here is to never confuse a corporation with our commons. Unlike a public library or a public square, Starbucks exists for one reason: To make the maxim profit possible. Starbucks isn't a public commons, it's a private business that will allow you in it as long as it makes money for them. The point that the bathrooms are for paying customers only is important. They have no problem with withholding a human being's basic needs as they see fit. It doesn't matter if there isn't another bathroom for miles, or if there are no public facilities.

As a teen, I spent a lot of time in the public library. There were people that spent their days in the library, reading and learning, even if they weren't wealthy enough to buy their own books.

I saw that one should never think for a moment that Barnes and Nobel was any substitute for a public library. Sure, you could set and read for a while, but after a while, if you weren't a paying customer, you would be removed.

Starbucks isn't the commons. If you don't fit into their business model, out you go. Since I have no interest in overpriced coffee, I am rarely in one. They can keep it.

Yeah but in handcuffs by the cops?? This is classic Neighborhood Welcome stuff. :problem:

I have held many a client meeting at Starbucks, where I'm also known to work out of. Same for Whole Foods cafe. (Besides, you can't drink coffee in the library. And who can afford office/storefront space here? :problem: ) The tables are never sticky, the restrooms are somewhat decent, the wifi is stable enough to talk to clients about internet work, plus, I don't mind their coffee and some of the things on the menu. So corporate coffee, it is.

I do understand that Starbuck's -- any cafe -- is a retail space, and not one that's providing public services. And a real loiterer just makes it a PITB for the kids behind the counter.

Thing is, I could very easily see this happening to me if I don't have a sufficient number of empty Starbucks cups. Every other Black professional in America is likely saying the same thing, probably like every Black suburban parent is wondering how it came to be that that lady never taught her son never to go up to white people's houses that you don't know. You could end up dead as a doornail. #neighborhoodwelcome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:26 am 
Board Emeritus

I've had extensive contact with the Starbucks company. For several years I was in and out of their shops doing service work in the bay area, where their regional corporate office is.

For starters Starbucks is a gay company. By that I mean almost all of their upper executive persons are gay men or lesbian women. It is a gay culture.

Trying to make this event which happened at one of their shops into a left/right issue is not on the mark. They have thousands of shops and this happened at one of them. It doesn't mean it is the way they are. It means someone interacted poorly with another, and someone else took a video of that interaction.

With the number of shops they have and the thousands of employees they have interacting with millions of customers things like this statistically will happen.

They are one of the least discriminatory companies I know of. One of the best.

Sam would make excuses for Ted Bundy. Oh, I knew Ted...he was such a nice guy until he killed you. And like there aren't any gay racists. :roll:

The people in your company who have contact with the public are the people responsible for your company's reputation. There are a number of companies that I will no longer do business with because they had some asshole who wasn't screened properly, trained properly, or managed properly working in their customer service department.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:54 am 
Policy Wonk

Three Different Video Responses
Philadelphia Police Chief Statement
[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHkAXiqfVQ&feature=youtu.be[/BBvideo]
(sorry, not loading, but this is link to it)

Starbucks Statement
Starbucks Statement

Black Lives Matters "activists"
ImageActivists began to gather late Sunday morning by the entrance to the 18th and Spruce streets location.
Quote:
Some held signs saying "Too little, too latte" and "Shame on you Starbucks."
Standing outside the Starbucks with a megaphone, Asa Khalif of Black Lives Matter called it the "People's Protest."

"Black and brown people deserve to have a safe space without being profiled. Shoutout to the white allies who stood up and saw injustice and fought against it challenging the police. That's what this is about," Khalif said.

Khalif and other protesters then entered the Starbucks where the demonstration continued inside.

They chanted "Power to the people."
The group was then approached by Camille Hymes the Regional Vice President of Operations at Starbucks.

Hymes told the group, "Based on the activities that have occurred in the store in the past, we instituted a practice of what we call 'safe and welcoming.' For all of the non-customers, we've asked for them not to use our restrooms. That is for all customers."

Hymes said the company takes full responsibility for what happened. She said the company put the manager of the store and the two men in a position that did not allow them to be set up for success.

I did read in another article that the men were waiting for a business associate. If accurate, I have to wonder why they didn't indicated that to either Starbucks employees or police.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Three Different Video Responses
Philadelphia Police Chief Statement
[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRHkAXiqfVQ&feature=youtu.be[/BBvideo]
(sorry, not loading, but this is link to it)

Starbucks Statement
Starbucks Statement

Black Lives Matters "activists"
ImageActivists began to gather late Sunday morning by the entrance to the 18th and Spruce streets location.

I did read in another article that the men were waiting for a business associate. If accurate, I have to wonder why they didn't indicated that to either Starbucks employees or police.

This would have not happened to white male realtors waiting on clients to arrive at a meeting at Starbucks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Really GoU? You think this would have happened to a white woman who was waiting for her girlfriend to arrive before she ordered, and had to use the restroom.

"No...you haven't ordered Mrs. Gates, you cannot use the restroom if you are not a paying customer. Get the out or I will call the police."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

This would have not happened to white male realtors waiting on clients to arrive at a meeting at Starbucks.
Probably....it certainly would have been more unusual. That said (this is not to defend the action), I do think sometimes we have a responsibility to avoid conflict. And (assuming the Starbucks employee wasn't a complete asshole in how they acted...which may not be be a fair assumption) simply saying they were waiting for their associate may (I emphasize may, as opposed to would) have alleviated the situation.

Here's a reddit post from seven months ago
Quote:
So in my district we have a new directive from our DM where the shifts are supposed to go around the lobby every few hours and kick out people who are loitering (basically, everyone who hangs out for a few hours studying or working in the lobby) or those who are relaxing in-store but who haven't bought anything. I can see why corporate doesn't want non-paying people using the store's resources, but I feel like this is a really bad look for Starbucks and the "welcoming" brand image that we are supposedly about.

Any other districts doing this, or have rolled it out? What exactly do you say to the customers? I was at a different starbucks the other day and the customer getting kicked out was like, "this is ridiculous, I spend money here almost every day, I just didn't buy anything today!"

I feel like our DM is having us move farther and further away from our core values, but they are on the fast track to regional manager so it also seems like this is the direction the company wants to go in. It hasn't been about the partners for a while, but now it seems it's no longer about the customers either. I also feel like it's a very short sighted strategy and once the next backlash hits and business drops it will be the front-line partners who will be thrown under the bus again https://www.reddit.com/r/starbucks/comments/6yhtu0/kicking_out_the_noncustomers/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

From my understand of the situation at Starbucks is the two men were waiting in the Starbucks for a third man. While there, they had bought nothing and wanted to use the restroom. The manager confronted them and determined they weren't paying customers and asked them to leave. When they wouldn't the manager called the police.

From what is known the manager had a legal right to ask them to leave and when they refused to have police remove them. What doesn't make sense is why it took six policemen to respond to the call when a pair of policemen should have been able to handle it by themselves.

I'm not going to lay the blame solely on the manager, the black men, or the police but say they all own an equal share of the blame. The manager for not handling the situation properly; the black men for not leaving when asked to; the police for over-responding to what should have been a routine call.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

Here in Marin City a drive through Starbuck's opened a few months ago. Marin City is Black Majority Community.

Yet, if you go in there, you a lot of white faces. Marin City is where the worker's for MarinShip lived during WWII. After the war, Marin City became the home for the Projects that designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Starbuck's does get a lot on and off the freeway business (101 North and South). African-Americans are on the whole about 25%-335% of the population in Marin County, Hispanics are even less.

Starbuck's hardly a "Gay Business", whatever that may or may not be. It is for profit organization, people just don't sit there without ordering. Selling coffee is what they do, you don't buy coffee, you can't take up space.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

According to the police, the officers asked that Supervisors be brought in supervisors so as not to overreact. Sounds like the original policemen realized what this could become.

That said, the store manager has been removed. As of now, Starbucks wont say whether they have fired, suspended or reassigned him/her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 pm 
Policy Wonk

[quote="marindem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 pm"Marin City is Black Majority Community. [/quote]Your discription of Marin City in some ways, provides the wrong impression. While it is almost 1/3 black (larger ethnic groups are white and hispanic) it is also surrounded by very wealthy relatively non-diverse communities. This might/would have a significant impact on the clientele.

However, I do agree with you general point about Starbucks being a business. The question is whether they treat all their customers in a similar fashion. With thousands of locations, I suspect you might see some differences.
-----------------

Marin City, CA is home to a population of 3,048 people, from which 85.6% are citizens. The ethnic composition of the population of Marin City, CA is composed of 942 White residents (30.9%), 864 Hispanic residents (28.3%), 800 Black residents (26.2%), 255 Asian residents (8.37%), and 82 Other residents (2.69%). The most common foreign languages in Marin City, CA are Spanish (453 speakers), Vietnamese (112 speakers), and Persian (49 speakers), but compared to other places, Marin City, CA has a relative high number of Urdu (48 speakers), Other West Germanic (16 speakers), and Persian (49 speakers).

The economy of Marin City, CA employs 1,261 people.
have a median annual income of $40,321,
Poverty Rate 33.4%
The median property value in Marin City, CA is $513,700, and the homeownership rate is 27%.

Located in one of the least diverse, diverse sections of the Bay Area

Marin County, CA i
s home to a population of 261,221 people, from which 90.9% are citizens. The ethnic composition of the population of Marin County, CA is composed of 186,350 White residents (71.3%), 41,891 Hispanic residents (16%), 14,533 Asian residents (5.56%), 8,979 Two+ residents (3.44%), and 6,800 Black residents (2.6%). The most common foreign languages in Marin County, CA are Spanish (31,865 speakers), French (2,901 speakers), and German (2,425 speakers), but compared to other places, Marin County, CA has a relative high number of Scandinavian (1,185 speakers), Persian (1,447 speakers), and German (2,425 speakers).

The economy of Marin County, CA employs 130,11 people.
median annual household income $100,662
Poverty Rate 7.07%
The median property value in Marin County, CA is $906,500, and the homeownership rate is 63.6%.

source: datausa.io
----------

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

[quote="marindem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 pm"Marin City is Black Majority Community.
Your discription of Marin City in some ways, provides the wrong impression. While it is almost 1/3 black (larger ethnic groups are white and hispanic) it is also surrounded by very wealthy relatively non-diverse communities. This might/would have a significant impact on the clientele.

However, I do agree with you general point about Starbucks being a business. The question is whether they treat all their customers in a similar fashion. With thousands of locations, I suspect you might see some differences.
-----------------

Marin City, CA is home to a population of 3,048 people, from which 85.6% are citizens. The ethnic composition of the population of Marin City, CA is composed of 942 White residents (30.9%), 864 Hispanic residents (28.3%), 800 Black residents (26.2%), 255 Asian residents (8.37%), and 82 Other residents (2.69%). The most common foreign languages in Marin City, CA are Spanish (453 speakers), Vietnamese (112 speakers), and Persian (49 speakers), but compared to other places, Marin City, CA has a relative high number of Urdu (48 speakers), Other West Germanic (16 speakers), and Persian (49 speakers).

The economy of Marin City, CA employs 1,261 people.
have a median annual income of $40,321,
Poverty Rate 33.4%
The median property value in Marin City, CA is $513,700, and the homeownership rate is 27%.

Located in one of the least diverse, diverse sections of the Bay Area

Marin County, CA i
s home to a population of 261,221 people, from which 90.9% are citizens. The ethnic composition of the population of Marin County, CA is composed of 186,350 White residents (71.3%), 41,891 Hispanic residents (16%), 14,533 Asian residents (5.56%), 8,979 Two+ residents (3.44%), and 6,800 Black residents (2.6%). The most common foreign languages in Marin County, CA are Spanish (31,865 speakers), French (2,901 speakers), and German (2,425 speakers), but compared to other places, Marin County, CA has a relative high number of Scandinavian (1,185 speakers), Persian (1,447 speakers), and German (2,425 speakers).

The economy of Marin County, CA employs 130,11 people.
median annual household income $100,662
Poverty Rate 7.07%
The median property value in Marin County, CA is $906,500, and the homeownership rate is 63.6%.

source: datausa.io
----------[/quote]

I live here, you do not. I know the population because in 5-Separate Election I walked Marin City. The more expensive town home's on Donahue, Bay Vista Circle and Valley View Drive are White Owned.

The Mariner Ridge development where I live was originally a HUD/State/Local Development. There are both Market Rate Homes (Mine is one of them) and the rest of housing Section 8. There are apartments, Caucasian/Black/Hispanic.

With Projects there is a strong African-American Majority.

Also, bear in mind when talking about Marin City, you are also to certain degree talking about Golden Gate National Recreation Area (G.G.N.R.A.), which borders my home on Drake Avenue.

Density is one thing, population is another.

The history of Marin City is very simple. Within 3-Months of Pearl Harbor housing for workers at what was then MarinShip (Liberty Ships were built there). The workers were mixed Black and White. After the war African-Americans remained in Marin City. When the projects were built, they were designed with the African-American population in mind. By the mid-1960's Marin City was a Black Centric Community. Later addition of Homes on Stilts were built (here we call them Stick Houses).

Those homes were open to families in the Projects and others were market rate. For many years there was a Flea Market where my home is now. In the 1990's, Mariner Ridge was developed. As said before it was joint venture the Feds, State of California and Marin County doing the development. Homes were both Market Rate and Low Income Housing with families living in the projects getting to buy a home.

As far as I know, no White Families lived in the Projects when I moved in (1997). African-Americans represent a majority of the population in Marin City and they always have.

My previous post stands.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Probably....it certainly would have been more unusual. That said (this is not to defend the action), I do think sometimes we have a responsibility to avoid conflict. And (assuming the Starbucks employee wasn't a complete asshole in how they acted...which may not be be a fair assumption) simply saying they were waiting for their associate may (I emphasize may, as opposed to would) have alleviated the situation.

Here's a reddit post from seven months ago

:problem:

"WE" includes store managers like the ones who call the cops on Black real estate guys.

When you are African American, however, sometimes literally walking through the door is perceived as a hostile act of rebellious conflict.

The United States has a very, very VERY long history of this behavior.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

From my understand of the situation at Starbucks is the two men were waiting in the Starbucks for a third man. While there, they had bought nothing and wanted to use the restroom. The manager confronted them and determined they weren't paying customers and asked them to leave. When they wouldn't the manager called the police.

From what is known the manager had a legal right to ask them to leave and when they refused to have police remove them. What doesn't make sense is why it took six policemen to respond to the call when a pair of policemen should have been able to handle it by themselves.

I'm not going to lay the blame solely on the manager, the black men, or the police but say they all own an equal share of the blame. The manager for not handling the situation properly; the black men for not leaving when asked to; the police for over-responding to what should have been a routine call.

The black men committed no crime but were taken away in handcuffs by police and held for 8 hours.

This would never happen to white realtors waiting in Starbucks for a client meeting.

So no, the blame share is not equal; never was.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

the manager has been fired.

as whoopi said....she has sat in one of those places and Never ordered or bought a thing.
many people do that, they use the wifi, they wait on shit to come in via fancy-phones.

sorry...this was a Totally fucked thing to do.

Last edited by rainwater on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nothing to do with pol affiliations. dont waste energy even going there.

this is a rude behavior from an ignorant human who is paying way too much attention to the fucked up
shit on the fucking news.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next