Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Then and now...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Blazing Saddles could be done today, provided it were the Wayan Brothers making the film.

Whites are not victims of African Americans.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 am 
Board Emeritus

Some of the Maher clip was funny but I'm not really with him on this one. Mainly because I don't care about being perceived by certain elements as "political correct" and also, classic movies is my thing. Especially African Americans in entertainment in the 10s-60s. So that's right in the era of the WORST anti-Black propaganda, ever.

Thus, the screen name.

The clothes/fashion thing was pretty funny, but criticisms of sexism as comedy and racial stereotypes as if they're rooted in something other than propaganda are not about being "woke". "Woke" didn't take long to calcify into more rigid orthodoxy, anyway, and a lot of people who consider themselves "woke" sound to me just like the people bellyaching about "political correctness".

One thing that's helpful is criticism of the time, because people pretend that in the 120 year history of the film industry, nobody said anything about Apu until a couple years ago, or that nobody protested limited roles for nonwhites until Get Out and Guillermo del Toro came along, or that nobody ever said anything about sexual harassment, rape, abuse, and other "misconduct" until last September. :problem:

And personally, I couldn't stand those Molly Ringwald movies about suburban whites and their petty problems. And I detested the character of "The Asian Guy" (Long Duck Dong) at the time, too.

They were hits but not everybody enjoyed them. Some of us even said so at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm ambivalent about Tarantino -- can't stand the person and like some of his movies -- but the fact that he makes these 70s homage films packed to gills with whites saying "nigger" is part of his success.

Yeah, on the one hand, I love Inglorious Basterds. On the other, of course, it would be magnificent if Hitler and the entire Nazi command died in a theatre fire (and we get the bonus points of the Jew hunter getting a swastika carved into his forehead) ... but it's just a gigantic revenge fantasy. And like every Tarantino film, there has to be a shootout that either kills everybody or almost everybody.

Tarantino's supposedly making a Star Trek. Be interesting to see where that will go. My guess is there will be a scene where 8 people get into a phaser shootout, and only 1 survives.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, on the one hand, I love Inglorious Basterds. On the other, of course, it would be magnificent if Hitler and the entire Nazi command died in a theatre fire (and we get the bonus points of the Jew hunter getting a swastika carved into his forehead) ... but it's just a gigantic revenge fantasy. And like every Tarantino film, there has to be a shootout that either kills everybody or almost everybody.

Tarantino's supposedly making a Star Trek. Be interesting to see where that will go. My guess is there will be a scene where 8 people get into a phaser shootout, and only 1 survives.

Yes I loved Inglorious Basterds. That and Jackie Brown are my favorites of his - Pam Grier looked so wonderful.

Especially that nitrate film is a character :) I also kind of feel bad for Samuel L. Jackson that he's mostly famous for playing the ridiculous, unhinged black guy in Tarantino films. Kind of. But not really. His role in Django Unchained was supposed to be making some kind of point, I guess, but IMO, Tarantino is not in a credible position to be making those kind of points. And again, in the larger culture, Jackie Brown was a backslapping moment for Tarantino, who was largely seen as the benevolent white reviving Pam Grier's career, when in fact she is the person who made that movie was it was. :problem:

Didn't know that about Star Trek! Well, guess I'll be seeing another Tarantino film. :/ . There are worse things, but meh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:21 pm 

Blazing Saddles could be done today, provided it were the Wayan Brothers making the film.

Blazing Saddles is a timeless satire assaulting racism, sexism, and maybe a few other ism's. It could be made at any time. It is PC immune.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 am 
Board Emeritus

It is PC immune.

PC...the all time right wingjob meme. That's me in spades, so proudly politically correct. Dumb-ass.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tarantino shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Star Trek universe, but since they hosed the timeline a couple of movies back, I've stopped caring about that one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

https://www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/legal-fight-escalates-over-aaron-sorkin-adaptation-of-to-kill-a-mockingbird

Quote:
Legal fight escalates over Aaron Sorkin adaptation of 'To Kill a Mockingbird'

The producer of Aaron Sorkin's upcoming Broadway adaptation of "To Kill A Mockingbird" has a message for the estate of author Harper Lee.

We'll see you in court. You might even get a show out of it.

The head of Rudinplay, the production company, filed a federal lawsuit Monday in New York, defending the adaptation as an "extraordinary creative work" that is true to the spirit of the classic novel.

The complaint counters a federal suit filed last month in Alabama by Lee's estate, which claimed the play deviates too far from the original.

Rudinplay is asking for at least $10 million for breach of contract.

In the legal filing, Rudinplay chief Scott Rudin offered to put on a performance of the show for the court — with its full cast. He argued that by watching the play, a judge would see that it doesn't "impermissibly depart" from the essence of the book.

The new complaint, which was first reported by The NEW YORK Times, adds another twist to a months-long spat between Rudinplay and Tonja Carter, the lawyer who represents Lee's estate. Lee, who signed off on the production in 2015, died less than a year later.

Carter said in court documents last month that she takes objection to Sorkin's portrayal of Atticus Finch, the heroic and principled lawyer who defends a black man falsely accused of rape in 1930s Alabama.

That lawsuit cited an interview that Sorkin, the Academy Award-winning screenwriter and creator of TV's "The West Wing," gave to Vulture about his depiction of the character.

Finch is at first "in denial" about racism in his community, but eventually "becomes Atticus Finch by the end of the play," Sorkin said. The Finch of the novel is morally unambiguous........

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

I have seen plenty of Democrats debate these issues at plenty of debates. I have also seen them offer solutions. In the case of the minimum wage, very specific ones, which I've mentioned twice in this thread.

You might be referring to the presidential debates. While I will agree with you I also did not like the way the presidential debates of 2016 ignored certain topics (including climate change), it isn't the parties themselves that set the agenda of what questions will be asked.

Again, on the issue of voter caging and suppression, there's one party fighting it, and one party supporting it.

Amid Trump’s Election Fraud Claims, Democrats Take Aim at GOP Voter Suppression—Again
It's not the first time that Democrats have gone to court alleging that the Republican National Committee has made a practice of intimidating voters. In 1982, Democratic pressure resulted in Republicans agreeing to stop "ballot security" measures used to deter qualified people from voting.
https://rewire.news/ablc/2016/11/02/ele ... ppression/

Democratic Party on Voter Rights
https://www.democrats.org/issues/voting-rights

Dunno, Motor. The Republicans continue to argue for an agenda of voter caging, suppression, etc. (plus gerrymandering, whether glen wants to accepts its existence or not, I've shown its reality many times) and the Democrats want to make it easier for more people to vote. The Republicans basically struck down enforcement of parts of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, Democrats have fought to restore it.

The point is I think Democrats could be better party than it is, and its shortcomings, that are reckoned in suffering and harm to their constituents, cant be made better by comparing the 2 parties or being defensive about criticism because the other party is awful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

The point is I think Democrats could be better party than it is, and its shortcomings, that are reckoned in suffering and harm to their constituents, cant be made better by comparing the 2 parties or being defensive about criticism because the other party is awful.

No, I'm just a realist that knows the score. The Dem party could always be better, but for the most part they aren't out to hurt people, they're out to help them.

I think the important thing for ALL of us is to be part of the solution - be like Marindem, be active in the party. Be a strong voice. It's easy to sit on the outside and just throw rocks. It's another thing to visit your lawmakers, and go campaign for good candidates, and be part of the solution.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Made my point better than I could do it myself, GoU. Thanks.

1) of course anything can always be better.
2) it will happen faster if you take part in changing it rather than just whine.
3) there's lots of things I would criticize the party over. What I just can't stand is denying reality I've seen with my own eyes. "The party doesn't care about X!" Even though I was just at an event where X was what the party was talking about last night. I know they care, because I've seen it with my own eyes.
4) failing to achieve X doesn't mean they didn't try. Just be aware of the fact that they face obstacles. Mostly, the other party in opposition.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 pm 
Policy Wonk

You have my vote Motor City.

As has been pointed out on more than one occasion, i'm also a person that supposedly bitches from afar :roll: ...(how would anyone here know how involved any of us are for sure)....i remember shaking Wellstone's hand at the Mn. State Fair. Told him it was an honor, and asked if the Dems would please quit paying lip service to the unions.

i guess i was out of line with my criticism, eh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

duplicate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

No, I'm just a realist that knows the score. The Dem party could always be better, but for the most part they aren't out to hurt people, they're out to help them.

I think the important thing for ALL of us is to be part of the solution - be like Marindem, be active in the party. Be a strong voice. It's easy to sit on the outside and just throw rocks. It's another thing to visit your lawmakers, and go campaign for good candidates, and be part of the solution.

nobody is sitting on the outside throwing rocks, Minimum wage is starving people, work hours are strangling the life out of them, being expelled from the political process is robbing them of having a say. the party is not superior to anyone, its not a victim, its just a means of helping people in these type conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

You have my vote Motor City.

As has been pointed out on more than one occasion, i'm also a person that supposedly bitches from afar :roll: ...(how would anyone here know how involved any of us are for sure)....i remember shaking Wellstone's hand at the Mn. State Fair. Told him it was an honor, and asked if the Dems would please quit paying lip service to the unions.

i guess i was out of line with my criticism, eh.

yea what we dont know is a lot, we do know everyone has a unique life experience and something to contribute.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

nobody is sitting on the outside throwing rocks, Minimum wage is starving people, work hours are strangling the life out of them, being expelled from the political process is robbing them of having a say. the party is not superior to anyone, its not a victim, its just a means of helping people in these type conditions.

Well, please tell me how the Dem Party is at fault when the Republicans control all three branches of government.

And you look at any raise in the minimum wage, who led the way, Republicans or Democrats?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah. It's just weird, I happen to know some of the folks in the party who care deeply about what people say they don't care about.

I'm not saying anybody's superior. I'm just saying don't tell me they're not trying, when I've seen they are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

Well, please tell me how the Dem Party is at fault when the Republicans control all three branches of government.

And you look at any raise in the minimum wage, who led the way, Republicans or Democrats?

think of Puerto Rico they need the aid that they need, preaching party superiority instead of rendering aid is a lot like offering up thoughts and prayers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

think of Puerto Rico they need the aid that they need, preaching party superiority instead of rendering aid is a lot like offering up thoughts and prayers.

Not sure how you think they can force the Republicans to do anything when they don't control the Congress, the Senate and the Presidency.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not sure how you think they can force the Republicans to do anything when they don't control the Congress, the Senate and the Presidency.

You blamed Republicans when Democrats controlled the House, Senate and the Presidency. You blame Republicans when you are in the minority in both the House and the Senate and you do not control the White House. It's a pretty safe bet that no matter what happens or who is in power, you are going to blame the Republicans.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 am 
Board Emeritus

You blamed Republicans when Democrats controlled the House, Senate and the Presidency. You blame Republicans when you are in the minority in both the House and the Senate and you do not control the White House. It's a pretty safe bet that no matter what happens or who is in power, you are going to blame the Republicans.

When it comes to supporting the poor, the Republicans are always on the wrong side of history. When it comes to enriching the already rich and the corporations, you know where the Republicans are too. If Congress ends Social Security and Medicare, it will be the Republicans that do so.

It wasn't the Democrats that put Betsy DeVose in office to try to destroy our public school system. It was Republicans.

This is what you vote for. Admit it and own it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:01 am 
Policy Wonk

Weird is Bernie's popularity. Even more weird are those that write that popularity off on the grounds that everything that can be done is being done.

Apparently some are tired of the lesser of two evils.

Signed,
a staunch member of the DFL.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 am 
Board Emeritus

Weird is Bernie's popularity. Even more weird are those that write that popularity off on the grounds that everything that can be done is being done.

Apparently some are tired of the lesser of two evils.

Signed,
a staunch member of the DFL.

If Bernie had been elected, with Republicans controlling the Congress and Senate, then you could complain that Bernie is just another Dem that doesn't care and won't get anything done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:41 am 
Policy Wonk

If Bernie had been elected, with Republicans controlling the Congress and Senate, then you could complain that Bernie is just another Dem that doesn't care and won't get anything done.

i voted for Hillary, Comrade. ;)

'Complain'. Is that like bitching?

Gounion, i've always had more questions than answers.

You seem to be good at answers. Why did so many of our union brothers and sisters bail on Hillary? Why did they vote against their own self-interest?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am 
Board Emeritus

i voted for Hillary, Comrade. ;)

'Complain'. Is that like bitching?

Gounion, i've always had more questions than answers.

You seem to be good at answers. Why did so many of our union brothers and sisters bail on Hillary? Why did they vote against their own self-interest?

Because hate sells. Republicans have always worked to use hatred, racial and otherwise, to divide the working class.

So, answer me please. Why did you vote for the lesser of evils? Because that's what you're insinuating Hillary was.