Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

New York City could ban work emails outside office hours

New York could be latest city to ban work emails outside of office hours, to improve work-life balance.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/92577/new-york ... fice-hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

problem is there are precious few hours outside work anymore for people who have work. if ever there was a crisis that needed to be attended to its the work schedule crises.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

I agree that there should be more of a division between work and life in the US, but this seems about as enforceable as Bloomberg's Large Sugary Drink Ban.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

New York City could ban work emails outside office hours

New York could be latest city to ban work emails outside of office hours, to improve work-life balance.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/92577/new-york ... fice-hours

The key paragraph in the article is this:
Quote:
Company bosses would still be able to contact employees outside working hours, but would not be allowed to fire or discipline them for failing to respond. Businesses would also face fines for failing to abide by the rule.

I don't think this law would effect many people but for the few it does it would be good. There are some people who may have to be exempted from the law such as law enforcement, fire departments, and others who are first responders. For companies, it should cause them to look at their policies and revamp them to ensure they aren't overly interrupting employees off-time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thank you Big Brother, I love Big Brother

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thank you Big Brother, I love Big Brother

The only Big Brother glen wants is the company, who glen believes has the right to do whatever it wants to you, wake you in the middle of the night, refuse to let you have any private life at all...

He doesn't think the worker should have any rights at all.

"You would think that after 8 years of hearing allegations against Bill C and another 8 against President Obama you people would have learned that 90% of those types of allegations just aren't true."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

The only Big Brother glen wants is the company, who glen believes has the right to do whatever it wants to you, wake you in the middle of the night, refuse to let you have any private life at all...

He doesn't think the worker should have any rights at all.

Plus, I don't think this applies to gig economy and freelancers.

For all glen's prattling on, we are one contingent that is completely under the radar for conservatives. We're just a step above journaleros, to them. And for all people who do the *actual work* conservatives will continue to throw us to the wolves every second they get.

Punching down, a lot like defending rapists and grifters, is endemic to white conservatism. Always has been: it's who they are.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now, none of this applies to professional salaried workers. When I worked in the plant, I worked the hours I was paid, took my lunch and breaks. If you were called back to work, even for ten minutes, you were guaranteed 4 hours of overtime pay, usually at time and a half.

So, to me, if you're hourly, and you're expected to deal with emails away from your shift and reply to them on off-shift, then you should get a minimum of 1 hour at time and a half to deal with the email.

"You would think that after 8 years of hearing allegations against Bill C and another 8 against President Obama you people would have learned that 90% of those types of allegations just aren't true."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now, none of this applies to professional salaried workers. When I worked in the plant, I worked the hours I was paid, took my lunch and breaks. If you were called back to work, even for ten minutes, you were guaranteed 4 hours of overtime pay, usually at time and a half.

So, to me, if you're hourly, and you're expected to deal with emails away from your shift and reply to them on off-shift, then you should get a minimum of 1 hour at time and a half to deal with the email.

10 minutes work for 6 hours pay....Hmmmm.........little wonder so many Union shops have closed or moved. My friends who worked at allsides spent 3 to 4 hours a night playing euchre. I used to play poker in Milwaulkee with a bunch of retired brewery workers. They would sit and talk all day about how much work they didn't do.

I once had a load I was suppose to pick up at American Can in Pevely Mo. They only had to load so many trucks per shift which they did in under 4 hours. Making the other trucks wait. I arrived before 11am and would have been the first truck loaded on the night shift. I left much to the brokers displeasure.

That place is no longer there and I am sure every worker knows it is because of that GD Reagan. When I was a teenager me and my grandfather used to take a couple of skids of motor mounts to various car plants. This was when the union was at the height of their power. The foreman couldn't even pick up a piece of trash, empty a waste basket or even tamp a waste basket down. If he did and one of the Union Brothers saw him they would file a grievance for him not calling maintenance to do it.

That was then and it is very true that now the power has swung back way to far in the other direction. I am quite sure at some point in the future the power will be back with the Union and they will be just as power hungry and stupid as they were back then and management is today.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

10 minutes work for 6 hours pay....

Funny how y'all wannabe slavedrivers bellyache about 10 minutes work for 6 hours pay, when that Marxist revolutionary publication Bloomberg states:

First Data CEO Pay Ratio Is 2,028 Times the Median Worker’s

Don't be lazy; set aside your hatred of people who do actual work and the AFL-CIO, and read the article before commenting.

This is a really good one for the Redisribution of Wealth thread. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

10 minutes work for 6 hours pay....Hmmmm.........little wonder so many Union shops have closed or moved. My friends who worked at allsides spent 3 to 4 hours a night playing euchre. I used to play poker in Milwaulkee with a bunch of retired brewery workers. They would sit and talk all day about how much work they didn't do.

I once had a load I was suppose to pick up at American Can in Pevely Mo. They only had to load so many trucks per shift which they did in under 4 hours. Making the other trucks wait. I arrived before 11am and would have been the first truck loaded on the night shift. I left much to the brokers displeasure.

That place is no longer there and I am sure every worker knows it is because of that GD Reagan. When I was a teenager me and my grandfather used to take a couple of skids of motor mounts to various car plants. This was when the union was at the height of their power. The foreman couldn't even pick up a piece of trash, empty a waste basket or even tamp a waste basket down. If he did and one of the Union Brothers saw him they would file a grievance for him not calling maintenance to do it.

That was then and it is very true that now the power has swung back way to far in the other direction. I am quite sure at some point in the future the power will be back with the Union and they will be just as power hungry and stupid as they were back then and management is today.

As usual ,you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. The reason for those rules is so that managers don't ruin a person's evening for 10 minutes of work. Making them come all the way back to work, then go home. Of course, the company doesn't pay for their gas or time in transit, now, do they? So, the company either decides it can wait, or they have four hours work for them when they show up. It's pretty simple.

It just shows how you worship the company and think they must have total power over worker's lives. A manager might have screwed something up, but he's more than happy to waste the evening of a worker and pay him for ten minutes work, and then laugh about it. Such rules make them think twice. We had it in our contract, but I don't think it ever was used. Not in the 25 years I was there. When you went home, you didn't have to worry about work until the next day. You could spend your time with your children, coaching baseball, or being active in the church.

Talk about the union at the height of their power. Just fucking remember that you were raised on those union wages, and your mother still is drawing your dad's pension and you don't have to pay out of YOUR pocket to care for her - the pension and the government support her, NOT YOU.

Let's remember that the Apollo Program was a union effort. Everyone involved in building and launching were union. Union workers put a man on the moon, something that was deemed impossible. You want something done right, you get it done UNION.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now we have non-union labor and "flexible" hours.

Now Teslas on auto kill people.

Now bridges collapse onto traffic.

Last add "flexible" hours... some study or other showed that store clerks who worked set hours and then went home and had lives without wondering about the next day's schedule sold a lot more merchandise. Put another one up to common sense.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:17 am 
Political Junkie

When I was a teenager me and my grandfather used to take a couple of skids of motor mounts to various car plants. This was when the union was at the height of their power. The foreman couldn't even pick up a piece of trash, empty a waste basket or even tamp a waste basket down. If he did and one of the Union Brothers saw him they would file a grievance for him not calling maintenance to do it.

Glen, have you ever worked, for an extended period of time, on the line? On the floor? Inside? Ya know, in a place where every second of every minute of every hour of every 8 hour day of every 40 hour work week are accounted for by someone looking over your shoulder?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:11 am 
Board Emeritus

As usual ,you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. The reason for those rules is so that managers don't ruin a person's evening for 10 minutes of work. Making them come all the way back to work, then go home. Of course, the company doesn't pay for their gas or time in transit, now, do they? So, the company either decides it can wait, or they have four hours work for them when they show up. It's pretty simple.

It just shows how you worship the company and think they must have total power over worker's lives. A manager might have screwed something up, but he's more than happy to waste the evening of a worker and pay him for ten minutes work, and then laugh about it. Such rules make them think twice. We had it in our contract, but I don't think it ever was used. Not in the 25 years I was there. When you went home, you didn't have to worry about work until the next day. You could spend your time with your children, coaching baseball, or being active in the church.

Talk about the union at the height of their power. Just fucking remember that you were raised on those union wages, and your mother still is drawing your dad's pension and you don't have to pay out of YOUR pocket to care for her - the pension and the government support her, NOT YOU.

Let's remember that the Apollo Program was a union effort. Everyone involved in building and launching were union. Union workers put a man on the moon, something that was deemed impossible. You want something done right, you get it done UNION.

My father-in-law worked at NASA Lewis (now Glenn) Research Center for many years as a rigger/welder. He was involved in the union (AFGE iirc) and was president of the local for a while. A more honest man I don’t think I have met. And my mother-in-law still gets his pension after his death 21 years ago. He was proud to work on the space program.

I am tired of the anti-union bullshit. The safeguards we have today, the improved conditions, the overtime, the holidays, the life in general enjoyed by millions is directly traceable to the impact of unions. The right lies continuously, contemptuously about labor. And how many that are labor support the lying politicians, policies and failed economic theology of the right? Are unions perfect? Hell, no. Nothing is. But they are a helluva lot better than the alternative.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Thank you, bird.

We have to remember that glen doesn't LIKE the idea of not being able to work "off the clock" - for free, because that's one tactic glen uses to get ahead at work, working for the company for free, so that he'll get preferential treatment.

That's one big reason people will form unions, when the company starts demanding that EVERYONE perform portions of their job off the clock, like Walmart giving people more work than can be done in eight hours, then demanding that they clock out and finish it while not being paid. guys like glen think that is perfectly acceptable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:00 am 
Board Emeritus

Glen, have you ever worked, for an extended period of time, on the line? On the floor? Inside? Ya know, in a place where every second of every minute of every hour of every 8 hour day of every 40 hour work week are accounted for by someone looking over your shoulder?

Twice it gave me the incentive to better myself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most creative people have had jobs like that to eat. Present company included.

Best I can say is that they remind you to get off your ass creatively and sell something.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thank you, bird.

We have to remember that glen doesn't LIKE the idea of not being able to work "off the clock" - for free, because that's one tactic glen uses to get ahead at work, working for the company for free, so that he'll get preferential treatment.

That's one big reason people will form unions, when the company starts demanding that EVERYONE perform portions of their job off the clock, like Walmart giving people more work than can be done in eight hours, then demanding that they clock out and finish it while not being paid. guys like glen think that is perfectly acceptable.

It is not for free if you receive something in return.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most creative people have had jobs like that to eat. Present company included.

Best I can say is that they remind you to get off your ass creatively and sell something.

Amen to that

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is not for free if you receive something in return.

Yeah, a brown nose.

Forcing people to work off the clock should be a jailing offense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:04 am 
Political Junkie

Twice it gave me the incentive to better myself.

Well then, you know why the foreman can't take out the garbage.

Odd that too. While the Ford plant wasn't for me, i have half a dozen relatives that retired comfortably from there. Never really considered myself better than them though.