All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Avengers: Infinity War
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Shall we get this hype train started? :D

Where is the orange soul stone?
What IS the title of Avengers 4? Is it a sequel to this film or not?
Who dies in this movie?
Does Josh Brolin look awesome in purple?
Does Cap look awesome dressed in black? Is he fighting with not one but two mini shields these days? Has he gone Full Nomad? Will he & Tony kiss & make up? Winter Soldier/Bucky/White Wolf has been cured, but will Tony forgive him?

We know the title of Thor's new weapon already! "Stormbreaker!" Thanks Hasbro! Hammer in the back, axe in the front, party all around!

Is Hulk in the Hulkbuster armor?
Why has Widow gone blond?
Where is Hawkeye? (He's not in any trailers.) Really decide to retire this time?
Does Wakanda get destroyed? What does "ebobey" mean? :D (Dunno, but they keep yelling it in the trailer.)

Are all the Asgardians besides Thor & Loki dead? Did they kill Valkyrie also? (Would suck, she was awesome!)

Is Captain Marvel going to be in this one, or 4? Silver Surfer? Is Spider Man in the Iron Spider suit?

Am I ever going to stop asking pointless questions? :D

(Just see the movie, X, see the movie.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Alright - just saw it - let's tackle these. Some infinity boxes might be needed. :D

All fan theories to date have been wrong. :mrgreen:

Gamora knew where it was all along. BTW, was the guardian of it supposed to be the Red Skull? He sure looked like it. Anyway, Thanos sacrifices her to gain it.

Quote:

Well, they definitely set up the sequel. :D

There's a rumor the film next year will be called Avengers 4: Endgame. If so - well, a line from Dr. Strange definitely sets that up. :D

Quote:
Who dies in this movie?

Hooboy. Who doesn't? :mrgreen: OK, spoiler box below.

Quote:

Well ...

Yes, because Banner seems to be having trouble convincing the Big Guy to come back out. Could be because Thanos whupped the Big Guy's ass and he's scared now. Who knows.

There's a scene in the trailer with Banner having turned into the Hulk ... it's not in the movie because it never happens.

Quote:
Where is Hawkeye? (He's not in any trailers.) Really decide to retire this time?

Dunno. Were there contract issues with Jeremy Renner? I can say neither Hawkeye nor Ant-Man are in the film. Are they in 4?

Quote:
Are all the Asgardians besides Thor & Loki dead? Did they kill Valkyrie also? (Would suck, she was awesome!)

Oh yeah. Loki's dead. So may be the Valkyrie, but if so, you never see her die. So is Heimdall, all the rest of the Asgardians.

Quote:
Is Captain Marvel going to be in this one, or 4? Silver Surfer? Is Spider Man in the Iron Spider suit?

Um .... after credits scene pretty strongly hints at her being in 4. :D

Silver Surfer isn't in it. That rumor's quashed.

Yes, he was in the suit, and it appears to have mechanical spider arms. It's whack.

OK ... now we gotta deal with the ending. Cosmic infinity spoiler box below.

So ... Thanos did kill some folks the conventional killing way, like Gamora, Vision, Loki, and some others. But he assembles the infinity gauntlet with all 6 stones at the end, and does what he promised to do at the beginning of the film. Wipe out half the universe. BTW, he wipes out half of humanity, and that appears to include ... Nick Fury, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, Dr. Strange, and Star-Lord, (and a bunch of others) ... they don't "die" conventionally, they literally fade out of existence (as apparently half the universe did, not just half of humanity).

Interestingly, other than Hawkeye who's never seen, the entire original team was not in that half. And obviously, what the gauntlet does ... can be undone? Right? I mean, come on, they can't off Spider-Man, dude hasn't even finished his junior year of high school. :mrgreen: But how are they going to stop Thanos now that he DOES have the full power of all six stones? Captain Marvel is supposed to be one of the most powerful in the MCU, but I think they need Dark Phoenix, they better call Sony. :D

Boy, there's never been an ending so deliberately set up for the sequel than this, that's all I can say. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

The thing is estimated at the record first weekend global gross.

There are a LOT of superhero movies in our future.

I hope they don't kill the goose on this genre, the way This Town tends to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:16 pm 

This was my favorite comic book movie to date.

Saw it in a crowded theater and the crowd reactions added greatly to the experience.

I'll see it again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, there were the usual Marvel funny bits, some of the characters are meeting for the first time, at least in the MCU, and their interactions are hilarious.

I have to say in my theatre audience emotions were high, except for the ending. And of course everybody waited for the famed after credits scene, but it really didn't do much to clarify the odd and seemingly sad ending. People just sort of ... walked out.

Gonna spoiler box a big post movie theory that's out there.

Some folks are suggesting the "vanished" folks are actually not dead, dead, per se, but are in the Soul World of the Soul Stone. Thanos appears to even enter it at the end of the film, where he sees Gamora as a child inside of it. It may be possible to undo what Thanos did, but the Infinity Gauntlet seems to have melted after this final use ... although the stones still exist. The "dwarf"/Dinkage character hints it might be possible to forge a 2nd gauntlet. I've got a feeling this will be the focus of the 2nd film.

We don't know if Ant Man or Hawkeye are among the vanished, but since we didn't see this onscreen ... perhaps the answer is no, and they will play a role in 4, along with Captain Marvel.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:42 am 
Policy Wonk

Black Panther, Spider Man, Guardians, etc have sequels so by all means those characters are not
dead. We just have to wait until next May to see how it all ends.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Havent' see it yet. Not sure I will (at least in the theater). Something about Captain America in a beard doesn't sell it for me. And does Loki die? Say it ain't so!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 am 
Board Emeritus

And does Loki die? Say it ain't so!!

I guess I could answer this without a spoiler box, but ...

Yep. He hands Thanos the tesseract (you can see that in trailers) but BTW tries to shiv him right after he takes it. .... big mistake.

You never see him kill Valkyrie ... or see her at all ... BTW.

Of course, he's died and come back before. :D And while the Russos make certain noises about perma-death, a lot of Marvel characters just can't seem to stay dead. See: Phil Coulson. Who, BTW, may have to die again in Agents of Shield because the fate of the world appears to depend on it. :o

They actually mentioned Thanos in the last AoS episode.

Plus, it's not clear that everybody who "vanished" at the end of the movie technically "died" ... it's more that they ceased to exist. :twisted:

This stuff is just incidental detail ...

I should add ... Hemsworth/Thor notes Cap's decision to rock a beard in the movie. :D

It's clear he's gone "Nomad" with the outfit change ... no longer wearing the red white and blue and he obviously did not go back for his shield once he dropped it in Civil War ... they don't really go into it, comics fans will recognize the new look, but with a movie this packed with characters, there's no time for much backstory for any of them. BTW, Vision can somehow make himself look like a normal human (i.e. Paul Bettany) and is now in love with Scarlet Witch (just like the comics) ... that backstory also had about a minute of screen time, or so. :D

Also, there is some mocking of the weight Star Lord/Chris Pratt has gained, too. :mrgreen:

I keep wondering why since he's half-Celestial, he didn't tap into those powers and use them against Thanos. Somehow he can't now that his father died, but I don't completely understand why.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 am 
Board Emeritus

My sister asked me if I wanted to go see this tomorrow. I said yes, but I'm thinking I might not like it. Loki is my favorite villain and I was sort of thrilled to see him at the end of the second Thor film. But him being gone for good...I dunno. But I think Hiddleston is thrilled :rw)

Is it just me, or does season 5 of Agents of SHIELD really suck?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

The season finale is designed to work as a series finale ... because they're not sure if there will be a Season 6.

Spoilers? (Is anybody still watching?)

I think the world won't end.
I think Coulson will die (again). (He has to, to prevent that future?)

I have no idea what the hell else will be in the finale. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

The season finale is designed to work as a series finale ... because they're not sure if there will be a Season 6.

Spoilers? (Is anybody still watching?)

I think the world won't end.
I think Coulson will die (again). (He has to, to prevent that future?)

I have no idea what the hell else will be in the finale. :D

At this point, I dont care if the world ends (regarding the series anyway). Last season's saving grace was the Framework. I almost gave up on it before that. I was hoping things would improve once they landed back on present day Earth. Nope. Just as ridiculous but more confusing.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

I guess I could answer this without a spoiler box, but ...

Yep. He hands Thanos the tesseract (you can see that in trailers) but BTW tries to shiv him right after he takes it. .... big mistake.

You never see him kill Valkyrie ... or see her at all ... BTW.

Of course, he's died and come back before. :D And while the Russos make certain noises about perma-death, a lot of Marvel characters just can't seem to stay dead. See: Phil Coulson. Who, BTW, may have to die again in Agents of Shield because the fate of the world appears to depend on it. :o

They actually mentioned Thanos in the last AoS episode.

Plus, it's not clear that everybody who "vanished" at the end of the movie technically "died" ... it's more that they ceased to exist. :twisted:

This stuff is just incidental detail ...

I should add ... Hemsworth/Thor notes Cap's decision to rock a beard in the movie. :D

It's clear he's gone "Nomad" with the outfit change ... no longer wearing the red white and blue and he obviously did not go back for his shield once he dropped it in Civil War ... they don't really go into it, comics fans will recognize the new look, but with a movie this packed with characters, there's no time for much backstory for any of them. BTW, Vision can somehow make himself look like a normal human (i.e. Paul Bettany) and is now in love with Scarlet Witch (just like the comics) ... that backstory also had about a minute of screen time, or so. :D

Also, there is some mocking of the weight Star Lord/Chris Pratt has gained, too. :mrgreen:

I keep wondering why since he's half-Celestial, he didn't tap into those powers and use them against Thanos. Somehow he can't now that his father died, but I don't completely understand why.

Having actually stopped reading comics back when I was in my twenties I don't know some of the stories. However, I have the feeling that big changes are coming with the next Avengers and Captain Marvel. I have no knowledge of the story line but I have feeling that Marvel is going to show up and she will be PISSED. I also think that there will be definite time line mucking about and that Thanos will be in for a world of hurt. I wonder if Captain Marvel is going to be one of those characters whose power becomes too large to be contained.

I would love to see them do an Adam Warlock movie as I get the feeling that he will be introduced in the next Guardians of the Galaxy.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Shall we get this hype train started? :D

Who dies in this movie?
Does Josh Brolin look awesome in purple?
Does Cap look awesome dressed in black? Is he fighting with not one but two mini shields these days? Has he gone Full Nomad? Will he & Tony kiss & make up? Winter Soldier/Bucky/White Wolf has been cured, but will Tony forgive him?

We know the title of Thor's new weapon already! "Stormbreaker!" Thanks Hasbro! Hammer in the back, axe in the front, party all around!

Why has Widow gone blond?
Does Wakanda get destroyed? What does "ebobey" mean? :D (Dunno, but they keep yelling it in the trailer.)

Am I ever going to stop asking pointless questions? :D

(Just see the movie, X, see the movie.)

I heard someone say Jeremy Renner was on Broadway or something. They wrote him out of this one as well as Ant-Man. Looking forward to Deadpool 2 and Ant-man and Wasp.

Infinity War was like Empire Strikes Back. Still it was cool. There was some humor as well.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

However, I have the feeling that big changes are coming with the next Avengers and Captain Marvel. I have no knowledge of the story line but I have feeling that Marvel is going to show up and she will be PISSED. I also think that there will be definite time line mucking about and that Thanos will be in for a world of hurt. I wonder if Captain Marvel is going to be one of those characters whose power becomes too large to be contained.

So, there originally was a male Captain Marvel, and Carol Danvers was Ms. Marvel, and got her powers from him. I suspect they're going to retcon this. BTW, in the comics, Rogue stole her powers permanently, which is why Rogue could fly and had her strength.

Anyway, I think the MCU Captain Marvel will be female, and they're retconning the male predecessor out of existence. Supposedly, Captain Marvel - no relation to the DC Shazam, of course, who goes by that same name occasionally - is pretty much the Marvel Superwoman ... flight, super strength, energy absorption. I don't think she's invulnerable. :D

My guess is them bringing her in against Thanos is kinda like Justice League resurrecting Superman. A Hail Mary touchdown pass. :mrgreen: She may be stronger than the Hulk or Thor in the MCU, I guess we'll see.

The green Time Stone is in play, so at least one fan theory is there may be some timey-wimey stuff going on in the sequel. Essentially an effort to prevent the ending we already saw. I guess we'll find out.

I understand the Captain Marvel movie will be set in the 90s. Why is Nick Fury sending out her "bat signal" at the end? She got her powers from the Kree, the enemies of the Skrulls, and is probably, I suspect, after the end of her solo film, out in space.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

[
I heard someone say Jeremy Renner was on Broadway or something.

BTW, there is some brief dialogue in the movie addressing this I probably wasn't paying attention to. Apparently, at one point, some character says Hawkeye and Ant-Man have agreed to "house arrest" after the Civil War/Segovia Accords, that's why they're not onscreen.

The Russos seem to be hinting they will be back for the sequel. Hawkeye may go Ronin. Ant-Man may have survived Thanos' cosmic eradication crap by entering the Quantum Realm. I suspect, again, we'll find out. :mrgreen:

Quote:
Looking forward to Deadpool 2 and Ant-man and Wasp.

I can already see from the trailer, Wade/Deadpool is riding around the X-Mansion in a wheelchair like ... you know who. Yeah, comedy gold. Also, at one point, he says to Cable, "Oh! So Dark! You must be from the DC Universe!"

That fourth wall breaking is why I love the Deadpool movies. Plus, you cannot beat a character like "Negasonic Teenage Warhead." They've also finally given Colossus some screen time, and restored his Russian accent. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

QUESTION:

I saw it this evening.

You may have answered the Nick Fury question I had about who he was signaling. Hey, what the, MotherF.... :rw)

Okay, the scientists on Wakanda were working to remove Vision's stone. I assumed she was successful when Thanos army arrived, but then Scarlet Witch attempts to remove it from Vision later on. How far did they get and what did she use to thwart the army when they entered?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's Captain Marvel's logo on Nick Fury's cosmic pager. :D

So, BTW, some fan speculation on this. Shall I stick to spoiler tags? Nah, this is just speculation.

So.... did Shuri succeed? She seems to have failed. But we know Shuri never fails. :D

One fan theory: though she couldn't disconnect the Mind Stone from Vision before they got to her, she might have downloaded Vision's "Jarvis"/mind matrix, so perhaps even without the Mind Stone, he might be able to be restored ...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's Captain Marvel's logo on Nick Fury's cosmic pager. :D

So, BTW, some fan speculation on this. Shall I stick to spoiler tags? Nah, this is just speculation.

So.... did Shuri succeed? She seems to have failed. But we know Shuri never fails. :D

One fan theory: though she couldn't disconnect the Mind Stone from Vision before they got to her, she might have downloaded Vision's "Jarvis"/mind matrix, so perhaps even without the Mind Stone, he might be able to be restored ...

Thanks.

We also know Dr. Strange said this was the end game and he saw thousands of alternate realities, so I'm assuming this was all part of the plan. My sister suggested maybe the studio just wanted to eliminate too many super-heroes and this was the best way to do it. :rw) NOT.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ehhhh..... I'd better spoiler box this.

So: bear in mind earlier on, Dr. Strange tells Stark & Spider-Man if the chips are down, when it comes to saving the universe, they are expendable.

Isn't it weird later on that Dr. Strange gives up the Time Stone if Thanos will spare Stark's life? This completely reverses what he said earlier.

Thus ... is Tony somehow part of the only possible future he saw ... in which Thanos is defeated? :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am 
Board Emeritus

Ehhhh..... I'd better spoiler box this.

Yes, I think this is so. Strange knew and saw this future and this is the best scenario to defeat Thanos. The only one according to him.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, there originally was a male Captain Marvel, and Carol Danvers was Ms. Marvel, and got her powers from him. I suspect they're going to retcon this. BTW, in the comics, Rogue stole her powers permanently, which is why Rogue could fly and had her strength.

Anyway, I think the MCU Captain Marvel will be female, and they're retconning the male predecessor out of existence. Supposedly, Captain Marvel - no relation to the DC Shazam, of course, who goes by that same name occasionally - is pretty much the Marvel Superwoman ... flight, super strength, energy absorption. I don't think she's invulnerable. :D

My guess is them bringing her in against Thanos is kinda like Justice League resurrecting Superman. A Hail Mary touchdown pass. :mrgreen: She may be stronger than the Hulk or Thor in the MCU, I guess we'll see.

The green Time Stone is in play, so at least one fan theory is there may be some timey-wimey stuff going on in the sequel. Essentially an effort to prevent the ending we already saw. I guess we'll find out.

I understand the Captain Marvel movie will be set in the 90s. Why is Nick Fury sending out her "bat signal" at the end? She got her powers from the Kree, the enemies of the Skrulls, and is probably, I suspect, after the end of her solo film, out in space.

Yeah, I remember the Marvel Captain Marvel. Originally a green and white costume and then a red and blue one with a sunburst thingy on his chest. Irc, he was Kree. Also Iirc the Kree/Skrull war wherein at the end Mantis married The Swordman who was a reincarnation of a super-intelligent plant species. The Krees/Skrulls also came to realize that humans were the superior species. Carol Danvers becoming Capt. marvel was about the time I became less interested in comic books.

When I first saw Thanos at the end of the first Avengers movie I thought he was a Skrull.

I think Captain Marvel was also involved, along with Rick Jones, with the Matriarch/Universal Church of Truth/Adam Warlock stuff.

man, my brain is a junkyard full of useless crap.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno. There are Trek fans that can tell you exactly in every episode the minute and second when the first red shirt dies. :D

There's the one and only one episode where the Enterprise orbits a planet in the opposite direction. Trek geeks can buzz in on this is about 0.05 microseconds. :D

You know, I find that information useless, but I've also decided not my place to judge. :mrgreen: Live and let live ...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Watch Mojo's top 5 unanswered questions regarding Infinity War. This was the first film I saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm going to have to check out the other two films.

And yeah, whatever happened to Sif and Valkyrie?

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 am 
Board Emeritus

And yeah, whatever happened to Sif and Valkyrie?

So, the Russos are claiming that half of the Asgardians are still alive. They're NOT all gone. We know they can survive adrift in space for a while, Thor did. Did that ship have escape pods?

We never saw Valkyrie die. Who knows?

I agree with Mojo it's a puzzle - Lady Sif wasn't even in Ragnarok - either. Where's she been?

If there's still some surviving Asgardian race, and Thor is their new king, I think there's going to be increasing pressure to drop that Jane Foster dalliance, and marry a proper Asgardian queen ... ;)

At least we know the answer to the puzzle of why he loses his eyepatch. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Finally saw it. Liked it a lot.