Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Randy Newman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

performing at the Luther Burbank theater in Santa Rosa, the theater that didnt burn but everything around it did.

This is where I saw Carlin, twice.

I will now see Randy, again... Saw him in the 780's

August 4

fun fun fun

insert politically incorrect short people joke here

Post subject: Re: Randy Newman
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:23 pm 
Policy Wonk

Oh, wow. I saw Randy Newman in concert in the 70s, at the old Paramount here in Portland before it was renamed for some rich woman who donated a bunch of money to renovate the place. One of the most entertaining concerts I've been to. Newman is more than a musician, he's also a very funny man--funny comments between songs.

Only other concert I've been to that was similar in that way was Leo Kottke, who I've seen several times.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, wow. I saw Randy Newman in concert in the 70s, at the old Paramount here in Portland before it was renamed for some rich woman who donated a bunch of money to renovate the place. One of the most entertaining concerts I've been to. Newman is more than a musician, he's also a very funny man--funny comments between songs.

Only other concert I've been to that was similar in that way was Leo Kottke, who I've seen several times.

We may have seen the same tour. Cant remember what song was a hit of his at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

We may have seen the same tour. Cant remember what song was a hit of his at the time.

In a way, his only big hit was "Short People." Although Sail Away May have been a hit album. Still, I'd never call him a one hit wonder--because his body of work was always popular.

Speaking of one hit...remember Dead Skunk? It was probably the only really popular song by Louden Wainwright III. Although they played his other songs on my local station.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

In a way, his only big hit was "Short People." Although Sail Away May have been a hit album. Still, I'd never call him a one hit wonder--because his body of work was always popular.

Speaking of one hit...remember Dead Skunk? It was probably the only really popular song by Louden Wainwright III. Although they played his other songs on my local station.

I remember him on the TV version of MASH...not that song

I have a chance to see T Bone Burnett also at the same venue later in the year