Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Getting A New Dog
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Our dog passed tragically last November, but we're getting a new family member at the end of the Summer.

Nothing will replace our pup, but it's been pretty lonely around these parts without a furry friend to hang with. Although Maggie was adopted from the Humane Society, this time round we went with a breeder.

We wanted a dog that was similar to Maggie. We found a Coton De Tulear breeder in the province. The breeder is highly reputable, does genetic testing. Only breeds Cotons.

We'd like two dogs eventually though. So after things settle in with the puppy, we'll adopt another from the Humane Society.

Coton's look like this

Post subject: Re: Getting A New Dog
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

We had a border collie from a breeder to compete in agility. For a companion we got a mixed border collie from the pound. Please consider that option for your 2nd dog. There are way to many dogs in shelters that need a family. I believe they make the best pets. Finally dont forget to spay and neuter

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Always with spay and neuter. In fact, with this breeder you have to. That's the agreement. With the local Humane society, it's done before you get the dog.

Now as far as animal shelters go, there is never a problem adopting out dogs where I am. The dogs always go, really fast. And it's a no kill shelter. They have an in depth screening process and an application that's a few pages long. They come to your house to inspect it as well, and check the yards for safety. It's almost harder to adopt a dog around here than a child (not really, but still very hard).

We are in their database already so for us it's easier. They already know us.

But honestly, our dog was taken from way us too soon. She never got to live a full life and we wanted a dog that was similar to her. We're pretty sure she was part Coton.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:10 am 
Board Emeritus

We had a border collie from a breeder to compete in agility. For a companion we got a mixed border collie from the pound. Please consider that option for your 2nd dog. There are way to many dogs in shelters that need a family. I believe they make the best pets. Finally dont forget to spay and neuter

While border collies are great dogs, they can be troublesome as pets unless you have a lot of room for them to roam and expend their boundless energy. They aren't a house dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

While border collies are great dogs, they can be troublesome as pets unless you have a lot of room for them to roam and expend their boundless energy. They aren't a house dog.

You are 100pct correct. They are only good for people like my wife who messes with them everyday 2 to 3 times. While they are probably the smartest dog I wouldn't recommend them as a family house pet.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:47 am 
Board Emeritus

You are 100pct correct. They are only good for people like my wife who messes with them everyday 2 to 3 times. While they are probably the smartest dog I wouldn't recommend them as a family house pet.

I've give it to Labs for the smartest dog, if you've ever spent time around a fully-trained guild dog for the blind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am 
Board Emeritus

We have a house but bigger active dogs don't work. Husky's are cool too, and we see lots of husky cross sled rescues that come into the shelter, but they'd bound right over our fence.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am 
Board Emeritus

I've give it to Labs for the smartest dog, if you've ever spent time around a fully-trained guild dog for the blind.

My mom's neighbor has a black lab assistance dog. Labs are great.