Republicans playing doctor, from DU...

News and events of the day
Libertas

Republicans playing doctor, from DU...

Post by Libertas »

Ohio Republican, Skeptical of the U.S. Maternal Mortality Rate, Blames It on 'Obesity'
Well, here’s someone whom I wish would shut up about reproductive health: Ohio state Rep. Bill Dean (R), who is doubling down on his recent comments calling skyrocketing U.S. maternal mortality rates a “myth” by blaming high maternal mortality on… “obese people.”

“I’m not a physician. But I would imagine, a lot of times, it’s the lifestyle of the lady that’s having the pregnancy,” he told the Dayton Daily News. “We also have the most obese people in the whole world. It’s just individual cases.”

Dean first told the outlet earlier in October that “there’s no great risk of dying from pregnancy,” and, further, that ectopic pregnancy—which occurs when the fertilized egg implants outside the uterus—“doesn’t count.” Ectopic pregnancies account for about 2% of pregnancies, and are the leading cause of maternal mortality during the first trimester—but sure, buddy!

Contrary to Dean’s claims about the supposed safety of pregnancy, the U.S. has the highest maternal mortality rate among wealthy nations, per statistics provided by the CDC. This ranking is rendered even more shameful by additional CDC research that found more than 80% of pregnancy-related deaths in the U.S. are preventable, ultimately stemming from high costs and limited access to the full range of health care—particularly along lines of race and class. Black pregnant people are three to four times more likely to die of pregnancy-related causes than their white counterparts, and a 2017 study found the maternal mortality rate is disproportionately higher in states where abortion access is more restricted, which surely bodes well for post-Roe times.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-republi ... 00505.html

Don't we also have the most profit-driven healthcare system in the whole world?

Anyway, Republicans playing doctor... always a bad idea.

I sigh in your general direction.