RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:46 am 
Board Emeritus

EARLY VOTING OPEN AS OF 7 AM THIS MORNING IN FLORIDA

https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/for ... ly-voting/

BTW, the best source of info is to find your county Election Supervisor's site, which will have all the best and most up-to-date Early Voting location information for your county.

As of this year, almost all community colleges and state universities are now early voting locations, but again, check the above to be sure.

Lines tend not to be as long for midterm elections, but why take the chance your precinct will have a long line when you do go on the 6th? You may go on your lunch hour, but so will everybody else :D ... save yourself potential hassle, VOTE EARLY!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Jared Golden - Main Deserves Better

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Civiqs Poll Democratic Party: Favorable Rating

https://civiqs.com/results/favorable_de ... ainty=true

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Civiqs Poll Democratic Party: Favorable Rating

https://civiqs.com/results/favorable_de ... ainty=true

I am not sure I understand, why are you showing only democrats when they have a higher rating than republicans?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrats See Strong Enthusiasm As Nevada Early Voting Begins

LAS VEGAS ― Gary Witt is standing in the blinding desert sun trying to convince a tattooed ex-felon with a ZZ-Top beard that the government is not trying to take away his guns like Nazi Germany, a task he gives up after realizing some minds can’t be changed.

“I have a real hard time with that bullshit,” Witt remarks before crossing another name off his list of eligible voters in this precinct north of the Las Vegas strip, part of a Democratic stronghold known as Clark County, Nevada.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ne ... 8b58798107

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Shocking turnout for first day of early voting in Houston

Thousands of people were already camped out at a key early voting location in Houston on Monday morning, hours before voting was even set to begin.

Nearly 2,000 people stood in line outside of the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center on West Gray near River Oaks in a scene that looked more like a Black Friday shopping morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am not sure I understand, why are you showing only democrats when they have a higher rating than republicans?

The unfavorable rating just like the GOP the voters aren't impressed with us either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

The unfavorable rating just like the GOP the voters aren't impressed with us either.

That is negative talk, anti DNC talk, anti Democrats talk.

Not interested in that.

I do however understand why it is important to some to point out only the disfavor for dems and not repubs. Sadly I know why.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

New Hampshire court strikes down GOP's law that aimed to suppress Dem-leaning college student voters

In a victory against Republican-backed voter suppression in a key swing state, a New Hampshire state court struck down a law the GOP had passed in 2017 to impose additional residency restrictions on voters that was crafted to suppress the votes of Democratic-leaning college students after Republicans narrowly lost the 2016 presidential and Senate races yet gained full control of state government. This law had required voters who had registered within 30 days of an election to show additional documentation that they indeed lived day-to-day at the residence they claimed as their “domicile" and intended to do so long-term.

​Voters who had lacked suitable documentation would have been be able to cast provisional ballots, but they’d still have had to provide documents proving their residency meets the state’s new requirements at a later date. If they hadn’t, this law would’ve empowered state election officials to visit their homes and refer them to the office of Secretary of State Bill Gardner, who has had no qualms about backing these restrictions, for potential investigation, which many voters may have found intimidating.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1 ... ent-voters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I finished early voting earlier today. I would say the campus site was quiet. There were about 2 or 3 students voting at the same time as me.

I will say earlier in the day, before it started to rain, there was quite a bit of activity near the polling place, with various student groups advocating various stuff, of course the required distance from the actual polls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I finished early voting earlier today. I would say the campus site was quiet. There were about 2 or 3 students voting at the same time as me.

I will say earlier in the day, before it started to rain, there was quite a bit of activity near the polling place, with various student groups advocating various stuff, of course the required distance from the actual polls.

I am going to be curious to see what the millienials do.

What possibly could you say to them if they STILL wont vote?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

As you might expect, I tell all my students not how to vote, but I do tell them this.

a) If you 18-24 guys don't vote, and you let older people dominate elections (which they will), don't be upset if you get gerontocracy. (By that, I mean, not necessarily just very old politicians, but politicians that reflect the conservative viewpoints of older people).
b) If you don't vote, don't bitch to me about the outcome.
c) Gov. Skeletor is undead, and don't let this creature escape to Washington DC.

OK. Maybe not c. I did tell them why they should support Amendment 4.

Anyway, personally, I proudly voted for Andrew Gillum, and #4. I necessarily voted for Bill Nelson. Never been my favorite Senator, but I considered the undead alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

As you might expect, I tell all my students not how to vote, but I do tell them this.

a) If you 18-24 guys don't vote, and you let older people dominate elections (which they will), don't be upset if you get gerontocracy. (By that, I mean, not necessarily just very old politicians, but politicians that reflect the conservative viewpoints of older people).
b) If you don't vote, don't bitch to me about the outcome.
c) Gov. Skeletor is undead, and don't let this creature escape to Washington DC.

OK. Maybe not c. I did tell them why they should support Amendment 4.

I like A

If I had a billion I would find out how to get to millenials on the internet and spend maybe 400 or 500 million doing that. If I win the MEGA this week, i will go to a bank and ask for a 300 million loan based on the money I will get and use that to try and help get people to vote in a few weeks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:01 am 
Policy Wonk

Rep. John Lewis: 'I have been beaten, my skull fractured' for right to vote

Quote:
Rep. John Lewis, a civil rights hero who volunteered with the Freedom Riders and who led the marchers who were attacked by Alabama state troopers on "Bloody Sunday" in 1965, invoked his sacrifices and struggles in an appeal Monday to get people out to vote in the midterm elections.

"I have been beaten, my skull fractured, and arrested more than forty times so that each and every person has the right to register and vote," Lewis said in a tweet. "Friends of my gave their lives. Do your part. Get out there and vote like you’ve never voted before. #vote #goodtrouble"

The images of peaceful protesters like Lewis being assaulted by angry white mobs and policemen enforcing Jim Crow laws helped bring about the passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Act...............

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Poor NBC News. They put up one of those oozing analysis "be very afraid" articles with the title: Republicans outpacing Democrats in early voting in key states, NBC News finds

They linked as their source to https://targetsmart.com/uptick-in-youth ... nd-states/ Which is the current headlining article at their site. Apparently the article NBC was linking to has been moved to archives.

Anyway instead of reading some from on the fly turnout numbers which would tend to be kind of as hard to measure as gusting winds, I read a solid article about something which would be measurable with study and it appears they've done the study carfully over a long period of time going back to the Parkland Shooting. It completely up ended NBC News's feeble attempt to present massaged numbers to create a knuckle of fear to increase their readership, boo hiss hiss.

The solid article is good news about the youth vote. :D

The link is above, here's some teaser quotes to get you to go there and read the good news:

"A new TargetSmart analysis shows that a previously reported uptick in voter registration for young people aged 18-29 is a sustained trend, and turnout by young people has increased as well. A previous TargetSmart analysis released in July showed that youth voter registration rates had significantly increased nationwide and in key battleground states following the shooting in Parkland, FL."

"The state-by-state analysis shows that younger voters are poised to have an outsized impact in key battleground races. Pennsylvania – which has November elections for U.S. Senator, Governor, and many critical House races – has seen youth voter registration surge by 10 points after the February 14th Parkland shooting. Youth voters make up nearly 60 percent of all new Pennsylvania registrants."

"Other states with critical elections that may decide control of the U.S. Senate and House also showed large increases in youth registration, including Arizona (+7.6 point increase), Florida (+7.9), Indiana (+6.8), Michigan (+7.5), Wisconsin (+5.7), and New York (+10.7). The increase in new youth voter registrants in North Carolina is 8 points higher in 2018 than in 2014; a majority of states have seen at least modest, if not significant, increases in youth voter registration rates compared to 2014. This spike in voter registration activity comes on the heels of the grassroots movement to address gun violence issues."

Change in Share of New Voter Registrations Among 18-29 Year-Olds since February 14, 2018

Seventeen, almost eighteen percent, do you suppose Oklahoma is turning blue? :shock: I wouldn't know what to say.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Electoral-Vote

https://electoral-vote.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Missouri voters without IDs won't have to sign an affidavit to cast a ballot, judge rules

JEFFERSON CITY • Missouri voters who do not have a photo ID when they arrive at the polls will no longer have to sign a sworn statement to cast a ballot.

In a ruling issued Tuesday, Cole County Senior Judge Richard Callahan clarified an earlier decision that jettisoned the sworn statement as a requirement for voting on Nov. 6 without a photo ID.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/gov ... 7455a.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Someone find it, robocall of someone sounding like minstrel

Gillum race

The real America is coming out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

i don't want to listen to it.

I've already read a description of it. Once it's been disseminated as a described by creditable sources as having been a racist robocall, finding out who placed it, and making sure people get that news seems the thing to me.

Maybe someone has said who placed it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Someone has. BTW, I haven't gotten this call. Probably a good thing, I'd swear at the person at the other end, and there's no person, just a robot.

Extremist website once again runs racist robocalls in campaign for Florida governor
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 90950.html

On Tuesday, voters began receiving phone calls with a pre-recorded message from a narrator pretending to be Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum and speaking with intentionally poor and offensive grammar. “Well, hello there. I is the negro Andrew Gillum and I be aksin you to make me governor of this here state of Florida.”

The message, which is laid over background audio of a choir singing harmonies, goes on to mock Gillum’s healthcare plan by claiming he’d give “chicken feet” to everyone in Florida to place under their pillows rather than provide “the white man’s” science-based, medicine. The message also makes derogatory statements about Jews and references to slavery.

[snip]

The Road to Power, the podcast claiming credit for the message, is called a “right wing extremist website” by the Anti-Defamation League. The site has reportedly been behind a series of offensive automated calls around the country during the mid-term elections.

[snip][end]

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/tag/road-to-power

Scott Rhodes, the podcaster behind the Road to Power website, made national headlines and briefly took over the dialogue in Florida’s gubernatorial contest by funding robocalls belittling Gillum, Florida’s first black major party nominee for governor

The robocalls feature a narrator — supposedly Gillum — speaking in a thick accent, espousing “I’s be the mayor of Tallahassee” and proposing houses be replaced with mud huts after hurricanes. The robocalls also make mention of Republican Ron DeSantis’ recent “monkey this up” gaffe, with the narrator saying “he ignorant.”

But as racially charged as the language on the audio recording sounds, it’s neither the first nor necessarily the vilest rhetoric released by Road to Power. In fact, Rhodes has increasingly found ways to inject white nationalist rhetoric into the mainstream political conversation.

Rhodes’ group came out in favor of white nationalist Patrick Little’s U.S. Senate campaign in California by funding robocalls calling incumbent Feinstein a “traitorous Jew” and an “Israeli citizen pretending to be an American,” which earned the group international attention and condemnation.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

i don't want to listen to it.

I've already read a description of it. Once it's been disseminated as a described by creditable sources as having been a racist robocall, finding out who placed it, and making sure people get that news seems the thing to me.

Maybe someone has said who placed it.

Same people who keep doing it.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

Unions protest outside WDIV in Detroit ahead of governor's debate

Quote:
Nearly 100 people gathered outside of WDIV in downtown Detroit in protest ahead of the governor's debate tonight. Many of those protesting are from local unions, including Fight for 15 and Unite Here — unions representing fast food and hotel workers.

Ultimately, the protest and impromptu rally was to encourage voting in the upcoming midterm elections this November. Yet many, if not most, of those outside the debate's location said they are voting for Democratic Candidate Gretchen Whitmer.

"Everyone is here for her," said Wendell Williams of Detroit. "That's a no-brainer."

Protesters held signs that said "Vote", "Planned Parenthood for Whitmer", and "Yes on Prop 3" — platforms local unions here align with...................

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Democrats Hold Big Lead In Most Competitive Districts

A new Cook Political Report/LSU poll finds Democrats hold a nine point lead over Republicans in the 72 most competitive House races, as rated by the Cook Political Report.

“Among voters who say President Trump will be a factor in their choice, more plan to use their vote so to show opposition to the President than to show support for the President, especially in competitive districts.”

https://politicalwire.com/2018/10/25/de ... districts/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Black Voter Group Wins In Voter Registration Case In Memphis

A state court judge in Tennessee ruled Thursday that Shelby County, which contains Memphis, must let voters whose registrations were stalled due to incomplete information to vote with regular ballots on Election Day, once the deficiencies are corrected.

The ruling came in a case brought by the Tennessee Black Voter Project, which saw thousands of registrations forms it turned in deemed incomplete by the Shelby County Elections Commission.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... in-memphis

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 26  Next