RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Happy New Year Guys.

Today is Tuesday January 1, 2019. No time like the present to start a thread about the Democrats will announce their intention to run for White House.

First Up - Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA). She announced yesterday she is forming an Exploratory Committee to see if there is sufficient support for her to run. Such a Committee allows Ms. Warren to start raising money and creating staff for a run at the White House. Ms. Warren is a two-term Senator and a very vocal critic of 45 and his policies.

Also to remind members of RFL, the California Primary will be moved to Tuesday March 3, 2020. There has been a lot belly aching by California Democrats (Myself included) that the formerly June Primary in California made our state an also ran. By moving the Primary up to "Super Tuesday", California will become player in Primary Sweepstakes. It also means by the end of March, the Nominee could be a settled deal...

Warren is the first one out of gate....who will be next?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

She's only formed an exploratory committee, she hasn't actually announced she's running. That said, people who form exploratory committees usually announce they are running with 99% probability. :D

Julian Castro also has an exploratory committee. Note Kamala Harris fans: she hasn't done that - yet.

The two (notable*) people who have filed paperwork saying they are running in 2020 (besides Trump, of course) are Richard "Major Dick" Ojeda, and John Delaney. So far, that's it.

Delaney is a Congressperson from Maryland. Have you heard of him? Me neither. As to how excited I am over Major Dick, see previous posts.

BTW, Donald Trump may have been the first POTUS ever to file re-election paperwork a day after taking office. MHO? He's less certain he will win again in 2020 then that he's been using this "re-election campaign" to self-deal himself all kinds of money through his businesses. Plus he seems to prefer campaigning to that annoying stuff of actually governing.

BTW2, 436 people have already filed to run for POTUS in 2020. Not a typo. They've done the FEC paperwork. If you've never heard of them, well, you also probably never will.
https://ballotpedia.org/List_of_registe ... candidates

131 are Democrats. 59 Republicans. No, there is no one noteworthy in the 2nd group as a potential primary challenge for Trump, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Julian Castro also has an exploratory committee. Note Kamala Harris fans: she hasn't done that - yet.

An exploratory committee is a pretty good sign that a would be candidate wants to tap some givers for some political cash. I don't look upon it as being all that relevant with respect to what a viable candidate needs to do.

A viable candidate needs a Wikipedia page which reflects their Presidential relevance. Here's an example of such a page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris

A viable candidate needs to have a book going on the shelves, and be going on a book tour which shows their Presidential relevance about now. Here's an example of such a book, one which will be available starting on January 8, 2019.

And a viable candidate need her home state to move the state's primary date clear to the forefront to give her a tail wind going into the primary. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, Sam, I am also a fan. Whether I'll vote for her in the primary depends on whether she's in it and the other choices. (I know, that was almost a tautology. :D )

A lot of candidates never form an exploratory committee. She may never. I'm also basically seen her say, despite repeated questioning, she hasn't decided to run.

That does not mean she won't. It doesn't mean also I wouldn't be happy to see her do it.

Kamala Harris Will Make 2020 Decision ‘Over the Holiday’
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... nt-762375/

She commented on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and President Donald Trump’s reluctance to act, saying, “First of all, let’s be clear about the fact Russia did interfere in the [2016] election of the president of the United States. Flawed though it may be, we designed a beautiful system of democracy, and one symbol of that is that we have free and open elections.”
Harris added, “When a foreign government chooses to manipulate our democracy knowing that would compromise our strength and our perception of our strength, you would think leaders would say, ‘No, we are going to do everything we can to strengthen and to give ourselves the immunity we need to be free from that kind of manipulation.’ Yet, it’s not happening.”

[snip][end]

Yeah, I like her. I hope she decides to do it. "The holidays" technically end tomorrow, though I'll throw in Dia de Los Reyes Magos, Jan. 6th. Later in January, I expect she will keep getting asked. Given what she's already said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Kamala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

I disagree on Senator Harris, she is still in her first term and not quite ready to have a run at the Oval Office.

She would receive favored status in the March California Primary, but does not mean she can win the Wite House.

I do admit that I want to see more than just White Males over 60-Running. A more diverse field of of Candidates only serves the Democrats in the long run. Julian Castro would rock the State of Texas to its Republican Core. He would bring a very heavy Hispanic turn out...

I'm hoping Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) announces, she is smart and she is tough. Both of which we will need next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Klobuchar Castro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Klobuchar Castro

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

I disagree on Senator Harris, she is still in her first term and not quite ready to have a run at the Oval Office.

She would receive favored status in the March California Primary, but does not mean she can win the Wite House.

I do admit that I want to see more than just White Males over 60-Running. A more diverse field of of Candidates only serves the Democrats in the long run. Julian Castro would rock the State of Texas to its Republican Core. He would bring a very heavy Hispanic turn out...

I'm hoping Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) announces, she is smart and she is tough. Both of which we will need next year.

When do you think that up and coming Barack Obama fellow will have finished enough Senate terms, and as thus be ready to run for President???

Harris is both older and has had more experience than Obama had at this stage. She's won three huge statewide elections. Obama had just won one, and it not even being that large a state.

So when Marindem, when???

Julian Castro has only been the mayor of San Antonio, and has been an appointed cabinet secretary for 2 1/2 years under that fellow who had less experience than Harris has.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

I just want the candidate with the best chance at defeating Donald Trump to win. A candidate
who will project a measure of calm after four years of Trump, who will listen more than tweet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Adam, this is what a Twitter account authored by a person who is running for President looks like:

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris?ref_sr ... r%5Eauthor

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

Assuming she runs for the Presidency, let's see how she conducts her campaign for the
candidate with the most organized campaign, with a clear and consistent message gets
elected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh deer, Elizabeth Warren made this Instagram video last night. The Right wing press has it and they are passing it around with delight.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

After chugging at a beer she leans into the screen reading the Instagram comments and says, "who we got here so far, Skyler and fourteen others. Hello Denise, Hi!" Then she keeps on reading the names of her fourteen. Gets to Greene Goddess and say's "wow, that's a name I would like to have."

:|

That video was edited by Jake's Political Edits, a guy who likes Trump.

I would assume her video ran a lot longer. I don't think more, the stuff Jake thought was boring, would improve it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 pm 
Policy Wonk

Hey, I like that video! "I still like beer!" After Kavenaugh, how can the Trumpublicans complain about Sen. Warren having some?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 am 
Board Emeritus

I believe we've heard this before...

That said. I am a fan of anybody who will win.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:08 am 
Policy Wonk

Ol' Uncle Joe hasn't ruled it out yet...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/us/p ... -2020.html

Bernie was polling !3% awhile back. Uncle Joe was kickin' his ass and leading the pack at 33%. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I believe we've heard this before...

That said. I am a fan of anybody who will win.

Oh Please, like I did not see this coming. No She Is Not Ready. I am saying this a Voting Supporter of Senator Harris and have sat down and talked with Senator Harris. I want her to be President, but not this time out. The Republican Party of 2008 is not like the Republican Party in 2018 or 2020 for that matter.

Do I want to see a White Male over 60-Democrat in the White House...No. We have some very strong Women out there to choose from. I sure as hell do not Bernie anywhere near the Oval Office. But I do not want Senator Harris offered up as a sacrificial lamb on the alter Presidential Politics.

I will not play with Bright Shiny Object, not into that. Nor will I follow the herd.

I will let the process play out. I'm fairly certain that Senator Harris will address the CADEM Convention in May, she has attended every Convention I've been to since 2008. How she positions herself going into 2020 will depend in small way depend on how the Voters of California feel about her running for the White House. Ms. Harris is a smart Woman, she knows her future in the Party is not based on running for President, it is her ability to represent the People of California...that will effect her decision to run in 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do I want to see a White Male over 60-Democrat in the White House...No.

Do I want to see us win another popular presidential vote but lose another presidential election because we were so focused on making sure we get the candidate of the preferred age, preferred gender, and preferred skin tone and dont get the candidate that will win? No.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do I want to see us win another popular presidential vote but lose another presidential election because we were so focused on making sure we get the candidate of the preferred age, preferred gender, and preferred skin tone and dont get the candidate that will win? No.

It's called diversity. the White Male Over 60-is over. We have strong bench and for once I would love to see a Non-White Male be nominated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's called diversity. the White Male Over 60-is over. We have strong bench and for once I would love to see a Non-White Male be nominated.

:lol:

You want a Non-White Male. "It's called diversity."

A female would be diversity.

:|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

On this so-called identity politics issue, I think we need candidates who will tackle the problems of sexism and racism in this country.

BTW, I have no problem if the best candidate to tackle those problems in 2020 winds up being a white male.

That said, I sharply disagree with no-longer-a-candidate Msr. Avenatti that we'd be "better off " nominating one, as well. If the best person for us in 2020 is a black female, or an Asian transgendered person, ... or ... well, whoever is best.

On the issue of age, I just want to repeat my point that unlike other ageists on this board, I think the decline of physical and cognitive potential depends on the individual, and needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. However, younger people tend to be able to bring fresh perspectives to things - a simple reality.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Of the Progressives whose names have been bantered about I personally like Sherrod Brown the most. Primarily because of a close friend from High School who prior to his death was heavily involved in Democratic Party politics in the state of Ohio. He always spoke very highly of Sen Brown.

But, of course he being a dreaded white male his chances are very slim. But, he would be a very good balance on a ticket as VP.

As for the rest I believe a Warren/Booker ticket would be very hard to beat and could be successful in getting progressive legislation passed. Warren like Reagan is a very good communicator and would be much harder for the GOP in general and the Tea Party types in particular to demonize. When compared to Sen Harris.

So while I am sure other than Healthcare I would be politically opposed to the majority of her agenda. From what I see as a progressive perspective, you folks should not only be focused on who can win. But, who can move your political agenda forward once in office.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am 
Policy Wonk

It's called diversity. the White Male Over 60-is over.

:shock: That's age discrimination. :(

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) is a federal law that protects workers and job applicants age 40 and over from age-based discrimination in all aspects of employment.
https://www.aarp.org/work/employee-rights/info-02-2009/age_discrimination_fact_sheet.html

Where do i file my complaint?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Of the Progressives whose names have been bantered about I personally like Sherrod Brown the most. Primarily because of a close friend from High School who prior to his death was heavily involved in Democratic Party politics in the state of Ohio. He always spoke very highly of Sen Brown.

But, of course he being a dreaded white male his chances are very slim. But, he would be a very good balance on a ticket as VP.

As for the rest I believe a Warren/Booker ticket would be very hard to beat and could be successful in getting progressive legislation passed. Warren like Reagan is a very good communicator and would be much harder for the GOP in general and the Tea Party types in particular to demonize. When compared to Sen Harris.

So while I am sure other than Healthcare I would be politically opposed to the majority of her agenda. From what I see as a progressive perspective, you folks should not only be focused on who can win. But, who can move your political agenda forward once in office.

OK...does anybody here give a shit in their asshole next door neighbor's MAGA hat what this cheesedick thinks the Democrats should do? Anybody here give a shit what this cheesedick thinks about anything?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 am 
Board Emeritus

It's called diversity. the White Male Over 60-is over.

:shock: That's age discrimination. :(

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) is a federal law that protects workers and job applicants age 40 and over from age-based discrimination in all aspects of employment.
https://www.aarp.org/work/employee-rights/info-02-2009/age_discrimination_fact_sheet.html

Where do i file my complaint?

Where do I file my complaint about how completely ignorant this is? If this is the sort of inane nonsense we are going to be facing in the 2020 Democratic primary contest, it's more reason for me to find a decent country to go live in than Donald Trump. Apparently certain ages and certain races are not part of the issue of diversity. If you're white and over 60 you are now disqualified from being a member of this country's diverse population. Fucking brilliant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next