RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

FedEx worker found frozen to death outside Illinois delivery hub

A FedEx worker was found dead in the bitter cold outside an Illinois delivery hub.

The 69-year-old victim’s body was discovered by another employee about 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning between two semi-trailers outside the East Moline freight facility, reported WQAD-TV.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/fedex- ... ifications

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Apparent meteorite impacts western Cuba

The National Weather Service in Key West reported that a meteor was seen in the sky over the Florida Keys.

"It appears that a meteorite impact occurred in western Cuba, near the town of Vinales, Pinar del Rio, earlier this afternoon," the NWS said on Twitter.

https://www.local10.com/news/cuba/pinar ... -meteorite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's two things in Weather i don't believe Groundhogs Day & Farmers Almanac

Groundhog Day results 2019: No shadow! Phil predicts early spring is coming

he results are in: On Groundhog Day 2019, Punxsutawney Phil could not find his shadow. And as the legend goes, this means we're in for an early spring.

The Pennsylvania groundhog isn't the only weather-predicting rodent in this quirky American tradition, but he is the most famous.

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2019/02/ ... 743608002/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Groundhog Day sounds like this silly thing, but it's a survival from some important Pagan holiday. I can't remember anything about the Pagan thing except that it did have divination to predict the coming of spring.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Candlemas. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

The Pennsylvania Dutch were immigrants from German-speaking areas of Europe. The Germans already had a tradition of marking Candlemas (February 2) as "Badger Day" (Dachstag), where if a badger emerging found it to be a sunny day thereby casting a shadow, it foreboded the prolonging of winter by four more weeks.

[snip]

In fact, the Christian Candlemas itself was an assimilation of the Roman rite for the goddess Februa with a procession on February 2, to honor her, according to Yoder. The Roman calendar, in turn, had Celtic origins. Candlemas concurs with Imbolc, one of the Celtic 'cross-quarter days', the four days which marked the midpoints between solstice and equinox.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hundreds of Inmates Sick and 'Frantic' in Brooklyn Prison Without Heat in Extreme Cold

A Brooklyn jail that houses more than 1,500 inmates has had limited heat and hot water during some of the coldest weather of the year, and the jail’s warden refuses to admit it’s an issue, the New York Times reported on Friday.

The Metropolitan Detention Center sits in Brooklyn’s Sunset Park neighborhood, and like the rest of the Northeast, temperatures in the area have been brutally frigid this week. After a power outage and an electrical fire over the weekend, a stream of complaints and horror stories have come out of the federal prison. Per the Times:

https://splinternews.com/hundreds-of-in ... 1832274382

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've been following this Metropolitan Detention Center story for a while. It's a federal joint, which is all you have to know. The people who run it might have had problems with drumpf's shutdown, dunno, and then it got cold and the power blew out, taking the heat with it.

For sure the feds are acting like MAGAts. There was at least one protest there, and people could hear inmates banging on the (opaque) windows. They are locked down, and incommunicado, because when the electric panel went kaflooey, it took out the power to the computers and phone system. The only lighting is a few increasingly feeble emergency lights. You can guess where those are, and aren't.

In other words, the normal functioning of the federal government in drumpf AmeriKKKa.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

California Digs Out After Intense Storm That Killed One Person, Closed Highways

A few California highways reopened and some residents were allowed to return home Sunday after the state was slammed by the first of two storm systems.

Winter storm warnings and winter weather advisories already have been issued for the second system, which is expected to bring snow into the Sierra Nevada and the mountains of Southern California later Sunday and Monday, weather.com meteorologist Christopher Dolce says.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-02-0 ... high-winds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Looks like the predicted El Nino might be delivering. I have to check the ocean temperatures and see if it's really the first time in record keeping that two of these happened in four years, without a La Nina oscillation in the middle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

It has rained 3 inches a day for the last three days. I'm assuming today will round out at three, it's at two inches now and it's still morning. Leading into that there was another couple inches. With heavy snow forecast for tonight this might be a foot of rain week long storm.

I don't feel the snow coming, I think it will be more rain and cold slushy globs.

I got out about sun up because I saw my driveway washing away too much just before dark last night. Pulling the side ditches with a rake was what was needed. I've got a 14 inch culvert not quite handing the flow and some if it is still flowing across the road. I found some leaves under a tree and used them to slow that flow across the road down and prevent it from cutting into the road, as much.

It's how it is, flooding. I live on the side of a steep hill almost at the top and I have flooding. I sure would hate to be down there. Down there is just about every direction from here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 am 
Board Emeritus

‘Rain Tax’ Likely To Become Reality In New Jersey

ELIZABETH, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — New Jersey is one of the highest taxed states in the country.

Now, residents and businesses could be taxed extra … when it rains.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02/04 ... ew-jersey/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sam's story is a common one up there. It's really doing the California thing where it doesn't rain and then it rains all at once.

Down here, the L.A. River filled up. You know, that huge concrete flood channel with the (usually) one inch of polluted water in a little ditch at the bottom. The one where the giant ants met their doom in that old THEM movie. The one that looks like it could handle the full flow of the Mississippi. Full. To the top. Almost flood stage. 30 MPH current. It's like watching the spillway of Oroville Dam, only without those cool energy dissipating teeth at the bottom.

That's a lot of water, and it all goes into the Pacific Ocean. Nobody can agree if that's good or bad. I don't know how you'd retain that much storm water.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Pelosi names Dems to new climate panel — but not AOC

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday named eight Democrats to the new special climate change committee, but freshman lawmaker Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.) was not among them.

The panel, which is charged with examining climate change and steps to mitigate it, will include lawmakers with a wide range of tenures. Three of those Democratic members will be freshmen, and Ocasio-Cortez said she turned down an offer from Pelosi to be on the committee.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ut-not-aoc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Weekend storm to deliver waves up to 60 feet, coastal flooding, damaging wind to Hawaii

An “unusually strong” storm system is bearing down on the Hawaiian islands from the north, promising life-threatening surf as high 60 feet, “unprecedented” coastal flooding, damaging winds, and heavy showers this weekend, forecasters warned today.

“Overall, this low is shaping up to be a high-impact event, bringing multiple weather hazards, and significant threats to life and property,” said forecasters with the National Weather Service in Honolulu, which has issued a host of warnings and advisories.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/ ... ii-friday/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Snow closes highways, cancels flights and continues to fall in the Tri-Cities

KENNEWICK, WA A winter storm left two to six inches of snow in the Tri-Cities and blanketing roads and closing government facilities.

Local reports to the National Weather Service measured the snowfall over night at a low of two inches in Pasco and a high of six inches in Richland, and it’s continuing to come down. The service issued a winter storm warning for the area until 10 a.m. Sunday.

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/loc ... 34705.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seattle's calling it a snowmageddon.

60 feet... get the board. Cue the Dick Dale music.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seattle's calling it a snowmageddon.

60 feet... get the board. Cue the Dick Dale music.

About 30 years ago I was living and working in Montana and my boss called me to ask me to help him. He'd seen the TV news and out in Seattle at the marina where his boat was, the canopy had collapsed under snow load. They weren't answering their phone.

So we piled into his pickup and made a high speed run to the coast to see what had happened with our shipyard tools in the back just in case they were needed.

It was a 50 foot aluminium hull, two thousand horsepower. An ocean going craft. And we had the ship yard tools because we'd built it in Missoula along with doing day to day mechanical contracting we were doing.

It turned out the boat wasn't under that covering, they hadn't got around to moving it there from the open to the sky dock. But they had charged him for having done it. Both good and bad news.

The roads down there were hell. It's a wonder we survived.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 am 
Policy Wonk

Here in the Portland, OR area, we're having mild snow, but I can't remember seeing snow at all this late in the season. In fact we haven't had any snow at all for at least five years.

From my living room....

Attachments:
Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg [ 90.96 KiB | Viewed 860 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Near WV mountaintop removal mines, the water is orange and kills you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47165522

Quote:
She pours a glass of water from her kitchen tap and lets it rest on a table. It has a strange smell and a sticky texture and within minutes begins to turn dark orange. A layer of black sediment soon sinks to the bottom of the glass.

"This is what we have to live with," Casey says. "We don't bathe in the water and we don't cook with it. It stains our fingernails, our knuckles, and our clothes. It's really, really difficult living like this."

Casey and her husband Jack (not his real name), have two young children and drive for more than an hour to stock up on bottled water to drink and cook with. So who do they hold responsible?

"I've been here all my life, but when the surface [coal] mine came in that's when the water started changing," says Jack, who, despite being a miner himself, believes the industry is accountable for his family's water problems.

It strongly appears that the president is orange and kills you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hawaii storm brings 60-foot waves, damaging winds, power outages

A winter storm reached Hawaii over the weekend, bringing dangerous surf conditions and damaging winds.

Waves near Waimea Bay on the north shore of Oahu surpassed 60 feet Sunday afternoon, meteorologist Gavin Shigesato with the National Weather Service Honolulu Forecast Office told USA TODAY. Surf heights hit 45 feet on another part of the island, according to observation reports.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 832866002/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just read, "California lost 18 million trees in 2018."

NBC: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... es-n970366

They say it is encouraging because it has been so much more in past years. I agree with it having been more in past years. A tree that is already dead can't die again, so I don't agree it's encouraging.

:|

I wonder what layer of thin air they got that 18 million figure from. The fires this summer most certainly killed more trees than that. Then there were the trees which just died. Many of the trees I've seen which died, died this winter. With flooding the ground got too soft and high winds blew them down. Drought and floods are not mutually exclusive.

18 million is less than half our population of people. I think we lost a lot more trees than that this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

our last summer...their winter...
https://phys.org/news/2018-08-despair-c ... rmers.html
Despair as crippling drought hammers Australian farmers
August 8, 2018
...the extreme conditions across swathes of Australia's east are the worst in more than 50 years.
A smattering of rain earlier this week did little to ease one of the driest starts to the year on record,
turning pastures to dust and destroying huge areas of grazing and crop lands.

Some exhausted graziers spend hours each day hand-feeding their stock because the ground is too dry for grass to grow. Others have been forced to shoot starving cattle.

"They are shooting their stock because they don't want them to suffer. They are shooting them because they just can't afford to feed them anymore," Tash Johnston, co-founder of charity Drought Angels, told AFP.

this summer in Aus...
https://www.ecowatch.com/about-500-000- ... 62464.html
About 500,000 Cattle Feared Dead After Historic Queensland Floods
Lorraine Chow
Feb. 11, 2019
Local farmers expressed heartbreak at the sheer scale of destruction caused by the floods, not just for cattle but to other native wildlife and to infrastructure.

"As we begin to access our paddocks we are being confronted with death and devastation at every turn," Kate Hunter, who works at the Gipsy Plains Brahmans farm, wrote in a widely shared Facebook post. "There are kangaroos dead in trees and fences, birds drowned in drifts of silt and debris and our beloved bovine family lay perished in piles where they have been huddling for protection and warmth. This scene is mirrored across the entire region, it is absolutely soul destroying to think our animals suffered like this."

"The true scale of destruction this disaster has left in its wake we are only just beginning to discover," she continued. "The sheer amount of water that engulfed the region has demolished fences, exposed pipelines, destroyed water infrastructure, created huge gullies that were once only small seasonal streams, turned roads into rivers and completely washed dam banks away."

Hunter wrote that graziers around the district are "working tirelessly" to save all the animals they can and also to humanely euthanize the ones that are "sadly beyond saving."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

California Has Received 18-Trillion-Gallon Soaking This Month, and More Rain Is on the Way

California has already received an 18-trillion-gallon soaking this month — enough water to fill 27 million Olympic-sized pools — and the state’s wild winter isn’t over yet.

A series of storms, including a moisture-packed atmospheric river that slammed the state last week, has brought consistent rainfall in February that has reached nearly half the volume of Lake Tahoe.

https://ktla.com/2019/02/19/california- ... n-the-way/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

California Has Received 18-Trillion-Gallon Soaking This Month, and More Rain Is on the Way

California has already received an 18-trillion-gallon soaking this month — enough water to fill 27 million Olympic-sized pools — and the state’s wild winter isn’t over yet.

A series of storms, including a moisture-packed atmospheric river that slammed the state last week, has brought consistent rainfall in February that has reached nearly half the volume of Lake Tahoe.

https://ktla.com/2019/02/19/california- ... n-the-way/

I found an 18 million dead trees article, now you've found an 18 trillion gallon soaking to water the poor dead trees.

I drove through a half hour of rain which was falling at a six inches an hour rate on Thursday. The car would only go about 45 mph. I didn't want to go that fast.

It was worse last year, last March. That time the car wouldn't go more than about 30 mph. I wanted to stop but didn't dare. Two of our people washed away that time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next