RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

DNC punts on measure to reduce role of corporate PAC money

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) has punted on a resolution that would have created a task force to reduce the role of corporate political action committees (PACs) in party fundraising.

At a general meeting of DNC members in Washington, D.C., on Saturday, party officials said that they would instead refer the matter to the party's Platform Committee in 2020, giving the Democratic National Convention final say on the measure next year.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... -pac-money

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

Allright!!!!! someone stepping up to represent the poor, the impoverished, the marginalized, and working people.

Bernie Sanders announces 2020 presidential campaign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, that is why he is risking another con in the WH
sigh

Make you all a deal, he can show me his tax returns for as many years as Hillary did, explain why he NEVER votes for sanctions on Russia, and I will reconsider.

I will NEVER understand how the same person can criticize anyone , rump or anyone, for refusing to show tax returns, surely we know why, but not say a WORD when their guy does it...Cant wrap my head around it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, he's the only Democrat who cares about those things. :roll:

Next question: what has he DONE legislatively to author and get legislation passed that helps those groups?

OK. I'm done. As Stan the Man always said, Nuff Said, Tony Stank.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, he's the only Democrat who cares about those things. :roll:

Next question: what has he DONE legislatively to author and get legislation passed that helps those groups?

OK. I'm done. As Stan the Man always said, Nuff Said, Tony Stank.

Nothing, in fact over 30 years he has ONE achievement of note, maybe two.

There is a REASON for that. There is a REASON he wont release tax returns. There is a REASON he wont sanction Russia.

FUCK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

DNC's debate plans diminish party's 2020 prospects

Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez has triumphantly announced the party’s plans for 12 presidential primary “debates” in advance of the 2020 general election. The first event will be broadcast on NBC-MSNBC-Telemundo in June, with the second of the series to be shown by CNN in July. Perez says these campaign spectacles will provide “unprecedented opportunity for candidates and voters to get to know each other.”

The only thing that will be unprecedented about these events is the shallowness and sensationalism of having 20 candidates verbally brawl in fake, soundbite exchanges.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/43 ... -prospects

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:18 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah. Well, are we going to blame this on the DNC? If they said they would limit the number of candidates running, people would cry foul. But then you have to figure out a debate format when you have (say) 20 participants. It will be exactly like the Republicans' early debates in 2016 when they had 16 candidates.

You could let everybody on stage have 5 minutes to answer every question. Then it would go till 3 in the morning. Nobody wants that. It's a no win situation.

Anyway, statement from Kamala Harris on "identity politics". Bravo.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/kamala-harr ... ut-you-up/

“They bring this term up when you talk about issues that are about race, about sexual orientation, about religion. They’ll bring it up when we are talking about civil rights issues as a way to marginalize the issue, as a way to frankly try to silence you or shut you up,” Harris said.

“We need to call it what it is, which is to try and divert away from a conversation that needs to happen in America,” she continued. “Why? One, because we must speak truth. Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, anti-Semitism are all real in this country, so we need to have that conversation and address it.”

“Two, and this is equally important,” Harris added, “how America deals with the issues and the disparities, and also the hate that can be — that causes these issues to become lethal in proportion — how America deals with these issues is a matter of American identity. This is not about identity politics, and if it is, it’s about the identity of the United States of America. How we handle the issues will be about our collective identity.”

[snip][end]

Nailed it, Sen. Harris.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

ATTACK democrats any chance they get

get used to it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Tulsi, Tulsi ...

Tulsi Gabbard’s Financial Disclosures Leave Out Ties To Koch-Funded Think Tank
The Hawaii congresswoman, who’s running as a Democrat for president, sits on a foreign policy advisory council for the Catholic University of America.
https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/03/tulsi ... hink-tank/

WASHINGTON — Here’s something you might not know about U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard: She’s an advisor to a Charles Koch-funded foreign policy think tank based at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.

One of the reasons that’s a surprise is because it’s nowhere to be found on her latest financial disclosure form.

The revelation comes in a new report from Sludge, an investigative news site that tracks money in politics, that highlights the Koch connection to the university’s Center for the Study of Statesmanship. The center was founded in 2017 through a $2.35 million grant from the billionaire’s foundation.

Gabbard, who’s running for president in the Democratic primary, is one of a dozen advisors to the center with strong ties to the Charles and David Koch network — which the author calls “The Kochtopus.”

[snip]

As the article points out, Gabbard’s affiliation with the Koch-funded Center for the Study of Statesmanship might seem odd given her public pronouncements about swearing off donations from political action committees and the need to overturn Citizens United.

[snip]

“But for a Democrat — especially a 2016 Bernie Sanders surrogate who has progressive views on campaign finance reform and single-payer health care — to accept a position at a think tank funded by Koch and staffed with several Koch-linked individuals is unusual.”

[snip]

According to the House Committee on Ethics financial disclosure guideline, members must report any positions they held with organizations, including educational institutions, regardless of whether they received compensation. The guidelines, however, do provide an exemption for honorary positions.

Civil Beat asked Gabbard’s office for an explanation as to why the congresswoman didn’t include the position on her 2017 financial disclosure, but did not receive a response.

This wouldn’t be the first time Gabbard has been caught for not filling out her forms correctly.

In January 2017, Gabbard and her husband, Abraham Williams, travelled to Lebanon and Syria as part of what she described as a secret “fact-finding” mission.

While in Syria she met with the country’s president, Bashar al-Assad, a dictator who has been accused by both the U.S. and others in the international community of using chemical weapons against his own people.

The congresswoman was harshly rebuked when she returned by both the left and the right for meeting with Assad. She also initially refused to disclose who paid for her visit.

It was later revealed that Gabbard travelled to Syria with Dennis Kucinich, a former congressman from Ohio, and two brothers, Elie and Bassam Khawam, who said they funded the trip even though it was officially sponsored by the nonprofit, AACCESS-Ohio.

The Khawams have been described in various news articles as supporters of the Assad regime.

Gabbard did not initially disclose to the House Ethics Committee details of her trip to Syria, and after the controversy became public, amended her official travel disclosures. Amid the backlash, Gabbard also said she would reimburse all the costs of her visit.

Like Gabbard, Kucinich is also a member of the Center for the Study of Statesmanship Council of Advisors.

[snip][end]

Funny, that. The horseshit, err horseshoe, bends again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:20 am 
Board Emeritus

Jay Inslee's in.

I appreciate his focus on what should be a central issue of our time. Once again, though, however much emphasis he's putting on it, I don't think he's the only candidate pledging to act on it. Also, let's be real, his chances are not very good. He can't, unlike protest candidate Andrew Yang, say he's raising something other D candidates are ignoring. (However, our Presidunce is.)

Jay Inslee Officially Launches Historic 2020 Bid Centered On Climate Change
“I’m running for president because I’m the only candidate who will make defeating climate change our nation’s No. 1 priority.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jay-insl ... c2f294b12e

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee on Friday became the first major candidate in history to officially launch a White House bid centered entirely on combating climate change, entering a crowded field of Democrats vying to challenge President Donald Trump in 2020.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

And to the ranks of an Inslee and a Buttigieg, we've now added a Hickenlooper.

Well, look, Democrats are definitely competing in the interesting last names contest. :D

Former Democratic Colorado Governor Hickenlooper joins presidential race
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1QL12Z

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper joined the growing field of Democratic presidential candidates on Monday, hoping to position himself as a centrist and an experienced officeholder who is best poised to defeat President Donald Trump in 2020.

[snip][end]

Doesn't seem like my cup of tea for the primaries, but if through some warp of space and time he gets to be the nominee ... of course he's better than Trump.

Maybe he can get campaign music by Engelbart Humperdinck. :D

In other 2020 news this morning, Eric Holder is not running. Oh, and Joe Biden still hasn't made up his mind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:55 am 
Board Emeritus

Holder wouldn't stand a chance with this group it's better he sticks with his NDRC group i think Biden will be the last candidate for our side to enter the race.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bloomberg is out and not going to run. Sorry, all you Hillbots (I loved getting called one in 2016, though I never was one), HRC is also not running this year.

Howard Schultz has still not officially dropped out, but I also think he hasn't officially gotten in entirely, either. Keep writing nasty notes on those Starbucks cups. :rw)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mark Cuban Considering Run For President In 2020 As Independent

Mark Cuban is strongly considering a run for President of the United States in 2020 as a third party candidate.

“I haven’t decided anything yet. We’ll see what happens. It all comes down to how things play out,” Cuban said. “It’s not something I feel like I have to do.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... ndependent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fuck him. Let him and Howard Schultz form a ticket ... a ticket for a ride to Mars.

[from Wiki]
Cuban is an admirer of author and philosopher Ayn Rand.[132] About Rand's novel The Fountainhead, he said, "[It] was incredibly motivating to me. It encouraged me to think as an individual, take risks to reach my goals, and responsibility for my successes and failures. I loved it."[133] His political views have leaned toward libertarianism.[134] He held a position on the centrist Unity08 political organization's advisory council.[135]

[snip]

On February 8, 2008, Cuban voiced his support for the draft Bloomberg movement attempting to convince New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to run in the U.S. presidential election of 2008 on his blog. Cuban concluded a post lamenting the current state of U.S. politics: "Are you listening, Mayor Bloomberg? For less than the cost of opening a tent pole movie, you can change the status quo."[138]

[snip]

At the Code/Media conference in February 2015, Cuban said of net neutrality that "having [the FCC] overseeing the Internet scares the shit out of me".[142]

[snip]

On November 22, 2016 Cuban met with the then President-elect Trump's key advisor Steve Bannon, according to reports.

[snip][end]

Boy, I would love more details on that last meeting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:36 am 
Policy Wonk

wow thats a lot of Chicago people

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1102394668002803712

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Quite a few.

I watched some of the rally at YouTube. The part which began at 55 minuets when Sanders came on the stage. It was billed as being his actual campaign launch.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 am 
Board Emeritus

I think he's going to join the 2020 Democratic Primary crowd.

A ‘big announcement’ from Beto O’Rourke is on the horizon

All signs indicate Beto O’Rourke will run for president in 2020.

“A ‘big announcement’ from Beto O’Rourke is on the horizon” was first published by The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues.

https://www.alternet.org/2019/03/a-big- ... ifications

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 am 
Board Emeritus

I think he's going to join the 2020 Democratic Primary crowd.

A ‘big announcement’ from Beto O’Rourke is on the horizon

All signs indicate Beto O’Rourke will run for president in 2020.

“A ‘big announcement’ from Beto O’Rourke is on the horizon” was first published by The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues.

https://www.alternet.org/2019/03/a-big- ... ifications

Another opinion source was of the opinion was that he was doing another tease. In my opinion most of these teases are done for the purpose of being able to continue to raise money. Which they'll use to do something else. I don't think they pocket it, I think they use it to influence politics.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Congratulations Milwaukee.

Dems pick Milwaukee for 2020 convention over Miami, Houston

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Democrats picked Milwaukee on Monday to host their 2020 national convention, setting up the party's standard-bearer to accept the presidential nomination in the heart of the old industrial belt that delivered Donald Trump to the White House.

Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez chose Milwaukee over Houston and Miami after deliberations lingered longer than party leaders or officials from the three finalist cities had expected.

https://news.yahoo.com/democrats-turn-b ... on-brknews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Takeaways from CNN's 2020 town halls at South by Southwest

Austin, Texas (CNN) Pete Buttigieg on Sunday made the case for generational change in the Oval Office. Tulsi Gabbard advocated against US military intervention. And John Delaney dove deep into policy specifics.

Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Gabbard, a US congresswoman from Hawaii, and Delaney, a former US congressman from Maryland, participated in back-to-back-to-back CNN town halls at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, on Sunday night.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/10/politics ... index.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Stacey Abrams says 2020 presidential bid is "definitely on the table"

Stacey Abrams, the Democratic candidate who narrowly lost her race for Georgia governor in 2018, said she isn't ruling out a run for president in 2020.

Speaking at the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival Monday, Abrams said she had previously considered 2028 to be the earliest she would run for president, but later tweeted she's now considering a 2020 run.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stacey-abr ... 019-03-11/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

:lol:

I can't help it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Beto O’Rourke announces he’s running for president — in text message to local news station

Following months of intense speculation, Democrat Beto O’Rourke told El Paso television station KTSM via text Wednesday that he is running for president in 2020, the station reported.

O’Rourke gained national attention in 2018, when he challenged U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. He campaigned relentlessly, visiting all of the state’s 254 counties, and shattered Senate campaign fundraising records while building an army of small-dollar donors and eschewing PAC money.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/beto-o ... ifications

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Massachusetts Rep. Seth Moulton will travel to Iowa as he considers 2020 run

Massachusetts U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton will travel to Iowa later this month to meet with Democratic activists and leaders as he considers a run for president.

Moulton, a Democrat, told BuzzFeed News that he's weighing a possible 2020 run.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 155846002/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next