RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:12 am 
Board Emeritus

All true, bird. But more and more, as I see it anyway, there will always be some bigot somewhere who will be creating this sort of shit, but what we are dealing with in this country now is that there's a huge audience for it. An audience big enough that the re-election of Donald Trump is a real possibility. I have yet to see any evidence that Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania won't go for Trump again. And Texas could see a five point shift and he would still win in Texas. He could lose the popular vote by 5 million votes this time and still win.

I would include where I live, Ohio, in that sentiment. I have stated that Trump will win. Imo he will. He may win the popular vote this time as well but that is less likely. I think the electoral vote may already be baked in. If all of NY and CA vote Democratic that only impacts the electoral votes for those two states.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:19 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes, Ike, but this is why it's relevant who has power, where, to use it against whom, how. Humans are barbarous. We get it. Who's doing what to whom? Depends on where we're talking about.

When you have power in your society, you are the dominant or the majority group. Here in the U.S. those are WASPs. If you are not a member of that group, you are a member of one or more minority groups. Ethnic, racial, religious, sexual orientation, linguistic, etc. That includes, but is not limited to, Jews, Muslims, Hispanics, and heck, technically, Irish and Italians, though they haven't had it so bad since the 1920s.

Majorities can discriminate against minorities, but not vice versa. Discrimination has a variety of levels, genocide of course being the worst form, denial of life and existence.

Thus ended Sociology 101, usually get to that on the first day.

BTW, yes, of course, members of minority groups can commit mass murder, terrorist bombings, arsons, mass killings, not denying that. Yes, they can possess bigotry and irrational hatred toward majority groups. Minister Farrakhan appears to believe white people were created by some mad scientist out of a wheel in the sky, which is a load of shit as well as bigotry. They just don't have the power to carry out systematic genocide. Nor, not holding societal power, can they control immigration or exclude people from "macro level" social institutions. (Clubs and organizations, yes.)

Both the Klan and the NOI suck. But, the NOI has never kept a white person from holding a government position. Not because they might not want to try and prevent it; they just can't do it.

BTW, in Israel, Palestinians are the minority, and will continue to be, until they have their own state. Within their own "autonomous region" on the West Bank right now they are still subject to Israeli military control.

Do SOME Muslims do awful shit elsewhere? Sure. Here in the U.S., they are a religious minority. Looks like BTW according to data white nationalist extremists IN THIS COUNTRY are committing more mass violence and terrorism.

As far as religious violence, it seems largely conducted by the extremists who want theocratic states (Islamists, Christian Reconstructionists/Dominionists, ultra-Haredi zealots, etc.) and fundamentalists.

Bottom line: if you don't talk about power, then the discussion is in a vacuum. Yes, humans are barbarous and doing all kinds of awful shit to each other. But generally, sadly, it's usually the powerful doing it to the powerless, all over the planet. That includes Myanmar Buddhists persecuting Rohingya Muslims, even if Buddhists are supposed to renounce violence and hatred.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes, Ike, but this is why it's relevant who has power, where, to use it against whom, how. Humans are barbarous. We get it. Who's doing what to whom? Depends on where we're talking about.

When you have power in your society, you are the dominant or the majority group. Here in the U.S. those are WASPs. If you are not a member of that group, you are a member of one or more minority groups. Ethnic, racial, religious, sexual orientation, linguistic, etc. That includes, but is not limited to, Jews, Muslims, Hispanics, and heck, technically, Irish and Italians, though they haven't had it so bad since the 1920s.

Majorities can discriminate against minorities, but not vice versa. Discrimination has a variety of levels, genocide of course being the worst form, denial of life and existence.

BTW, yes, of course, members of minority groups can commit mass murder, terrorist bombings, arsons, mass killings, not denying that. Yes, they can possess bigotry and irrational hatred toward majority groups. Minister Farrakhan appears to believe white people were created by some mad scientist out of a wheel in the sky, which is a load of shit as well as bigotry. They just don't have the power to carry out systematic genocide. Nor, not holding societal power, can they control immigration or exclude people from "macro level" social institutions. (Clubs and organizations, yes.)

Both the Klan and the NOI suck. But, the NOI has never kept a white person from holding a government position. Not because they might not want to try and prevent it; they just can't do it.

BTW, in Israel, Palestinians are the minority, and will continue to be, until they have their own state. Within their own "autonomous region" on the West Bank right now they are still subject to Israeli military control.

Do SOME Muslims do awful shit elsewhere? Sure. Here in the U.S., they are a religious minority. Looks like BTW according to data white nationalist extremists IN THIS COUNTRY are committing more mass violence and terrorism.

As far as religious violence, it seems largely conducted by the extremists who want theocratic states (Islamists, Christian Reconstructionists/Dominionists, ultra-Haredi zealots, etc.) and fundamentalists.

Bottom line: if you don't talk about power, then the discussion is in a vacuum. Yes, humans are barbarous and doing all kinds of awful shit to each other. But generally, sadly, it's usually the powerful doing it to the powerless, all over the planet. That includes Myanmar Buddhists persecuting Rohingya Muslims, even if Buddhists are supposed to renounce violence and hatred.

Not gonna argue any of this, perfesser. Obviously white extremists are commiting more bad acts than Muslim extremists since 9/11. But we want to include 9/11 though, white extremists are nowhere near the body count of Islamic extremists. And I'm also talking about worldwide bad acts going back into history. So...propaganda? Bullshit, my post is not propaganda.

So carmen's propaganda comment? Bullshit. If there's a propaganda monger around here it's carmen. I have a whole list of new names that would be more appropriate for this forum these days than RFL.

Reckon what the 63% of LA cops who are black or Latino, or the half of the Chicago PD who are black or Latino think of carmen's nazi thin blue line flag, eh? These people depend on each other, regardless of color to keep each other from ending up shot in the back of the head by some poor innocent asshole like Chicago streetgang thug Ronald "Ronnieboy" Johnson. And fucking propagandists like carmen think nothing of it.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:48 am 
Board Emeritus

Propaganda my ass.

We already had this conversation, Ike Bana. You're not going to rehash it again, with me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Not gonna argue any of this, perfesser. Obviously white extremists are commiting more bad acts than Muslim extremists since 9/11. But we want to include 9/11 though, white extremists are nowhere near the body count of Islamic extremists. And I'm also talking about worldwide bad acts going back into history. So...propaganda? Bullshit, my post is not propaganda.

So carmen's propaganda comment? Bullshit. If there's a propaganda monger around here it's carmen. I have a whole list of new names that would be more appropriate for this forum these days than RFL.

Reckon what the 63% of LA cops who are black or Latino, or the half of the Chicago PD who are black or Latino think of carmen's nazi thin blue line flag, eh? These people depend on each other, regardless of color to keep each other from ending up shot in the back of the head by some poor innocent asshole like Chicago streetgang thug Ronald "Ronnieboy" Johnson. And fucking propagandists like carmen think nothing of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:59 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes and meanwhile this country OTOH has seen Klan cops, Klan sheriffs, Klan senators, Klan governors, and Klan Presidents, and white complicity with all of it.

That's not even getting into uptown Klan/White Citizens Councils.

There is NO NOI or any other minority hate-equivalent of the Klan, White Citizens Councils, or state power in federal redlining and blockbusting; federal, state, and municipal educational segregation, or "NOI"/whatever in the cops or sheriff. Not historical or theoretical.

None.

Quote:

And some of them go run and join the cops which have a thin blue line, so-called. This has been going on for several generations.

Quote:

Bottom line: if you don't talk about power, then the discussion is in a vacuum. Yes, humans are barbarous and doing all kinds of awful shit to each other. But generally, sadly, it's usually the powerful doing it to the powerless, all over the planet.

And also, there's power and then there's taxpayer-funded state power.

E.g., Latino and Vietnamese-American and Cambodian-American taxes are underwriting brutal immigration policies against Latino, Vietnamese- and Cambodian-American communities and people in various stages of getting their immigration status in order.

It was the exact same setup with Black taxes paying for Jim Crow and the law enforcement gang members to keep it intact. But then, authoritarian whites think of themselves as the only citizens and thus the only taxpayers. They NEVER consider that minority taxes pay for cops and ICE and CPB bashing in our childrens' heads. And if they ever do, they revel in the idea.

These facile, morally-lazy "everybody does it" or "humanity is brutal" canards Ike Bana prattles on about deliberately gloss over these realities, and end up just being fake equivalencies to rationalize their continued existence.

Quote:
That includes Myanmar Buddhists persecuting Rohingya Muslims, even if Buddhists are supposed to renounce violence and hatred.

And their head of state, whose backing and complicity with genocide have seen her stripped of awards and recognitions she's earned since the 80s.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:09 am 
Board Emeritus

I would include where I live, Ohio, in that sentiment. I have stated that Trump will win. Imo he will. He may win the popular vote this time as well but that is less likely. I think the electoral vote may already be baked in. If all of NY and CA vote Democratic that only impacts the electoral votes for those two states.

I agree and also believe Donald Trump will again win every white demographic because these appeals to white-racist resentments and insecurities have a long history, and history of working. Southern Strategy 3.0.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 am 
Board Emeritus

oooo....where can I get this for my facebook and twitter background?

It should work to just rightclick and download

Quote:
and why is this thread 5 pages?

Dunno..it started out as one thing but quickly morphed because President Backlash tweeted against AOC, Ilhan, Rashida, etc., telling them to go back to their broken countries or whatever. As he steadily breaks this country right in half.

Then you get conservative whites that make "Jihad squad" posters and the geniuses that put it up on Illinois state GOP official social media.. :roll:

So two weeks later, the country or at least the media is still arguing whether the tweets are racist, knowing full well that old saw is held over the heads of every wave of despised immigrants that come here. :problem:

They'd rather ponder tweets than that rapist's racist policies. To me it's like the people who get all bent out of shape at being called racists -- even when they haven't been, even when they wear it as a badge of honor when bestowed by an African American or Latino -- than at actual racism. Same dishonesty, same self-gaslighting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yup. The tweets are a distraction, and one calculated to manipulate news media depiction of outrage in a manner that controls it and renders it safe. I stopped reading them a long time ago. I just don't care what some asshole thinks up on the can while he's taking a trump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yup. The tweets are a distraction, and one calculated to manipulate news media depiction of outrage in a manner that controls it and renders it safe. I stopped reading them a long time ago. I just don't care what some asshole thinks up on the can while he's taking a trump.

Yes let's take 2 weeks in the case of Donald Trump or two days for a tweet by Bette Middler to see if those are racist. :problem:

Meanwhile, we've got this happening.

Immigration Officials Snatch 9-Year-Old U.S. Citizen Heading To School, Hold Her For 2 Days - HP

This latest ICE blitz keeps yielding these stories about "citizens" and we see how this administration treats Puerto Rican citizens. It's like you suggested in another post, the time for "it can't happen here" (or "it's happening to those other ppl so it can't happen to me") is way over. I mean, African Americans have been legit birthright citizens since 1870, look what's gone on with us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:08 am 
Policy Wonk

i'd love ta tell ya what i think of the little nazi flag posted recently but then i'd be stooping to a level that i've been trying to avoid for for some time now.

Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way.

Being somewhere between lead and follow......Carry on Dad.

Prof, ya may have a sentimental attachment here.......But ya might want think about cutting strings.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am 
Board Emeritus

I agree and also believe Donald Trump will again win every white demographic because these appeals to white-racist resentments and insecurities have a long history, and history of working. Southern Strategy 3.0.

And he will win unless every person in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin who sat at home on their ass in November 2016 because the Democratic candidate was a woman, was Hillary, wasn't Bernie, wasn't black (since we're making this about race), wasn't liberal enough, wasn't...wasn't...wasn't. He can't win those three states if every alleged liberal/progressive/Democrat/decent fucking human being drags their ass out of the barcalounger and votes for somebody else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Prof, ya may have a sentimental attachment here.......But ya might want think about cutting strings.

What does that flag mean? If it means all cops are Nazis ... well, obviously, I don't think that.

Does it mean some neo-Nazis might be joining both the police and the military to give 'cover' or 'legitimacy' to their beliefs ... well, that is happening.

FBI warned of white supremacists in law enforcement 10 years ago. Has anything changed?
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/fbi ... nforcement

[snip]

But even if there aren’t hard statistics, the problem of racial bias among police isn’t new. In fact, it’s been a concern of the FBI for at least a decade. Exactly 10 years ago this week, the FBI warned of the potential consequences — including bias — of white supremacist groups infiltrating local and state law enforcement, indicating it was a significant threat to national security.

In the 2006 bulletin, the FBI detailed the threat of white nationalists and skinheads infiltrating police in order to disrupt investigations against fellow members and recruit other supremacists. The bulletin was released during a period of scandal for many law enforcement agencies throughout the country, including a neo-Nazi gang formed by members of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department who harassed black and Latino communities. Similar investigations revealed officers and entire agencies with hate group ties in Illinois, Ohio and Texas.

[snip][end]

One of the things you study in semiotics is that symbols are multi vocalic .... they can carry multiple meanings. I interpret that symbol to mean SOME neo-Nazis are hiding behind badges and uniforms ... happens to be a fact.

Yeah, I have my sentimental attachments. I may not always follow Libby on his trips into spasm :D , but I still think he's a decent person. Of course, we've never met in person. In the end, you just have to trust your judgement about who you think people to be.

I don't dislike Ike ... he also has a strange kind of zealotry for someone who says he dislikes it ... on certain things, he definitely has the zeal of the true believer (*) ... not always a bad thing, of course ... we happen to disagree on a judgement. So it goes.

(*) Here would be my example: he and I apparently agree very much on gun control ... though I'm not sure I would ban all handguns. That is a different thread, of course. Where I don't think I would follow him is calling everybody whose views are different scum, reprobates, etc., etc. Sounds too zealous to me. ;)

Also, of course, he apparently thinks people should seek out places where there are fewer scum and reprobates. But since all human beings are locusts with technology ... without qualification ... since the entire world is barbarous and apparently filled with different shades and hues of barbarians ... where would you find any?

Interstellar travel, I suppose.

BTW, I happen to think that since there is no fundamental human nature, it's wrong to say humans are fundamentally good or fundamentally evil. And I'm not saying this explains ALL of human behavior, but just a lot ... humans are products of their environment. If you want better behaving human beings, raise them in better environments. I only point to a century of research in sociology for this, and again I'm not saying the sociobiologists are totally wrong in looking at our genetic endowments and evolutionary history ... I just think they overstate what they can prove.

Why are people liberals if they don't think this? Why do we support social programs like Head Start, etc.? Because we know this to be true ... a society that provides its members with a nurturing social environment gets better, pro-social citizens. It's why I am a liberal. I think it works better than focusing solely on punishing, scapegoating, and incarcerating them. (Not that I'm saying we won't have to, of course. I am not for the abolition of prison.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:52 am 

WOW.

Did carmen wake up breathing and piss off Ike again for being alive?

You persecution complex is in over drive there Ike.

On July 2, 2019 Ike Wrote, "I know quite a few Jew hating alleged Democrats who would never vote for a Jew socialist for President." When asked for proof, Ike failed to provide it. Proof Ike.....Proof.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well...since it was mentioned in this thread I need to post a brief reply...

If I'm a zealot on outlawing handguns and assault weapons, it's probably because of that warm summer night in July 1962 when I walked into my frend's kitchen and found him lying in his blood and brains on the kitchen floor.

So it's pretty personal for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

And he will win unless every person in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin who sat at home on their ass in November 2016 because the Democratic candidate was a woman, was Hillary, wasn't Bernie, black (since we're making this about race) wasn't liberal enough, wasn't...wasn't...wasn't. He can't win those three states if every alleged liberal/progressive/Democrat/decent fucking human being drags their ass out of the barcalounger and votes for somebody else.

Already had this conversation about this as-yet-unfounded assertion, Ike Bana. You’re not rehashing it again with me.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

WOW.

Did carmen wake up breathing and piss off Ike again for being alive?

You persecution complex is in over drive there Ike.

Guys like that get very angry and nervous when they sense that their cultural and social authority has been decentered and displaced. It’s why the GOP is in the state it’s in and why the alt-right has been so successful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

What does that flag mean? If it means all cops are Nazis ... well, obviously, I don't think that.

To me, it means the "thin blue line" concept has very serious implications for fascist and authoritarian state policies, such as what Jim Crow policing was for example. So it also has a grave history behind it that's not just confined to a few headlines about KKK/Confederate cops in the past few years (see below). African Americans and Latinos know this history intimately. So do white authoritarians, since they plan to keep benefitting from it.

Quote:
Does it mean some neo-Nazis might be joining both the police and the military to give 'cover' or 'legitimacy' to their beliefs ... well, that is happening.

FBI warned of white supremacists in law enforcement 10 years ago. Has anything changed?
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/fbi ... nforcement

[snip]

Also:

The Epidemic of White Supremacist Police - The Appeal

Florida town stunned by news of police department's KKK ties - Tampa Bay Times

Photos surface of Philly police officer with Nazi tattoo - Philadelphia Voice

Racist texts sent by San Francisco police officer - (guy is Asian American), CNN

13 Philadelphia police officers who made racist, offensive Facebook posts to be fired - NBC News

Russians’ Biggest Facebook Ad Promoted ‘Blue Lives Matter’ - Daily Beast

Quote:
One of the things you study in semiotics is that symbols are multi vocalic .... they can carry multiple meanings. I interpret that symbol to mean SOME neo-Nazis are hiding behind badges and uniforms ... happens to be a fact.

Yes and imagine being a Black, Latino, Native, Jewish, or Asian-American cop having to protect these assholes in the name of some stupid "thin blue line."

These two clown car passengers around here are WAY more upset about a flag meme than this reality.

Quote:
BTW, I happen to think that since there is no fundamental human nature, it's wrong to say humans are fundamentally good or fundamentally evil.

The very idea of this absolutist "fundamental human nature" is exactly what gave rise to eugenics boards and their taxpayer-funded abuses. But it's an easy, lazy copout that's designed to allow authoritarians and nihilistic determinists to brusquely wave away due process, and civil/human rights of fellow citizens.

According to this worldview, some people are just "naturally" irrational and out of control, and "naturally" incapable of change. So why would commie pinko socialist sjw activist concepts like civil and human rights even matter. It's in the state's best interest to crack down on them, lock them up for crimes they did not commit, and take away their ability to reproduce.

AFAIC, this misanthropic worldview stems from their own deep self-loathing.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well...since it was mentioned in this thread I need to post a brief reply...

If I'm a zealot on outlawing handguns and assault weapons, it's probably because of that warm summer night in July 1962 when I walked into my frend's kitchen and found him lying in his blood and brains on the kitchen floor.

So it's pretty personal for me.

There are all kinds of personal stories. I could go into the time a friend and I found a guy lying in a pool of blood in Georgetown ... I know he was shot because he was moaning about it. We quickly went to find a nearby cop who summoned rescue personnel. To date, I don't know if he lived or died ... I obviously hope it was the former.

Then there's the close friend whose father was shot dead over a fairly low value coin collection.

My father owned three handguns and a rifle. Once he started to suffer from severe dementia, he started making odd threats toward my stepmother ... ones you never could be sure about taking seriously. But she and I both agreed. After that point, we made sure all three were locked away where he no longer had access to them.

Also, BTW, I could talk about the time my brother (the other one, the MD) worked trauma ward during his residency, and all the gunshot victims in VA he had to treat.

Last edited by ProfessorX on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

ya might want think about cutting strings.

You are indeed known by the company you keep.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

See..this is where carmen exposes herself. "Trump will again win every white demographic..." , because we are all racists. Well...Trump won't win my white demographic, and he didnt win it in 2016 either.

I got mad at glen when he called carmen a racist. With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy an apology.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

See..this is where carmen exposes herself. "Trump will again win every white demographic..." , because we are all racists.

This is an addition by you, not something I've ever said.

Your own behavior and social resentments demonstrate exactly how every white demographic will vote majority-Trump, and why alt-right recruitment over the past 3 years has worked so well.

You don't even trouble yourself to vote in primaires.

Quote:
I got mad at glen when he called carmen a racist. With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy an apology.

Of course you would go groveling to glenfs if he were here, because you two are deeply aligned.

"... because we're all racists" is the race-baiting comment.

Guys like you have been trained to buy into Southern Strategy 3.0, and it will work, unfortunately.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ike Bana to me:

pot/fucking kettle carmen

Ike Bana to JoeMemphis:

I always felt that pot/kettle had an ugly racist connotation, but I am not surprised that as a smartass southern whiteboy, you wouldn't get that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:09 am 
Board Emeritus

This is an addition by you, not something I've ever said.

Well of course you're so clever, carmen. You say every but you don't mean every. And when you're called on it, you say you've never said it. You're worse than Donald.

It's like your, "Conservative males are perverts." Clearly implied is that if one is a conservative male, one is a pervert. But you never said that. And you permanently left whatever integrity you might have ever had, in your other pants.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 am 
Board Emeritus

You say every but you don't mean every. And when you're called on it, you say you've never said it.

Goalpost shift.

While it's true that every white demographic did vote majority-Trump in 2016 and I believe the same will happen in 2020, I didn't say it's "because [they're] all racists."

In fact, what I meant is exacty what I said, as written. The quote you tried to distort is:

That's very different from "because [they're] all racists." If I thought they're all racists, I wouldn't have anything to do with online spaces like RFL.

And say, aren't you the guy that's always thought pot/kettle has an ugly, racist connotation yet told me pot/fucking kettle in a reply? Men like you have been primed for Southern Strategy 3.0. I hope you guys don't fall for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next