RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Ever since I read that great book Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, I've kind of really enjoyed watching and observing "cultural crazes".

This Popeyes Chicken Sandwich thing ... all I can tell you is once I finally heard about it and decided to check out what the madness was all about, my local Popeye's had told me they had sold out of them. Sure enough, the website for the national chain also shows the sandwich is sold out. Those of you who can still get them must be lucky. Of course, I can't fathom what they have run out of. Was there a sudden shortage of barrel pickles that struck the country or the company? I sense something along the lines of the Great Taco Bell Nacho Fries Scam :D , where they withdraw the product, only to bring it back and reintroduce it to have a second wave of hype. I can tell you when it comes back, I still ain't waiting 90 minutes to try one. NO chicken sandwich can be that good. Maybe I'll go by the chain at 3 AM. (Doubt they stay open that late.) :D

Anyway ... found this story amusing. Not a real "news" story, so I'll put it in Off the Beaten Path.

Gun Drawn After Disappointed Group Can't Get Hands On Coveted Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
While a group of five stormed a Popeyes in Texas, another person in Tennessee is suing the restaurant, claiming the famed chicken sandwich "just consumes you."
https://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/gun-d ... n-sandwich

Just how good can one sandwich be?
Popeyes released a new chicken sandwich a few weeks ago — made of fried chicken breast and with pickles, spicy mayo optional — and the sandwich has since prompted long lines, a lawsuit, and now, a gun being drawn on Popeyes employees.

A group of six — two women, three men, and a baby — went to one of the chain’s drive-thru locations in Houston, Texas, on September 3, and tried to order the coveted sandwiches... but the chain was all out.

The group apparently didn’t believe it.

The group allegedly charged at the door of the restaurant, one of the men holding a gun, but a quick-thinking restaurant worker locked them out, KTRK in Houston reports.

The baby was allegedly left inside the group’s vehicle during the chicken-inspired confrontation.

"Somebody could have lost their life because they ran out of chicken sandwiches,” local resident Fredrick Taylor told KTRK. :roll: :roll:

[snip]

Over in Tennessee, a Chattanooga man actually filed a lawsuit after a Popeyes ran out of the sandwich.

"I can't get happy; I have this sandwich on my mind. I can't think straight," Craig Barr told the Chattanooga Times Free Press."It just consumes you."

His suit claims the company has hurt him with false advertising and deceptive business practices. It also blames Popeyes for causing him to waste "countless time driving" seeking out the sandwich.

Wanda Lavender, a 38-year-old manager at a Popeyes in Milwaukee, told Vox her legs went numb from standing 10 to 12 hours dealing with the long lines the sandwich has inspired. She said one customer threatened to shoot her staff over the food craze.

[snip][end]

C'mon people ... I mean, what are they putting in this damn sandwich? Crack? Gold? Pressed Ladanum? Yes, I've yet to try one, but sheesh.

I definitely am not going to wait till my legs get numb. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:13 am 
Board Emeritus

I was about to say I hadn't ever seen a Popeye's store. But I looked and there is one in Merced and two in Fresno. Soon as I saw them located on the map I understood the story. i understood why there's been all those reports of the violence and threats nationwide. They set up their stores where the land is really really cheap.

I have more sense than to go where I would have to go to get one of those sandwiches. I sure as hell wouldn't go to those places after the sun sets and it grows dark outside.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

It just goes to show you how stupid people can be. It's only a chicken sandwich!

A year from now, I doubt anyone will care if Popeyes has a chicken sandwich.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Advertisers try to create a buzz. Occasionally due to probability theory or chaos math or sunspots or secret Russian brain rays, one of them gets too buzzy. When we read about guns being drawn, court cases, etc, we know that the threshold for what one writer called "the madness of crowds" has been exceeded.

It's not unlike the apparently now abated Thing for lining up three days to get the new iPhone version. Not waiting until the bugs are found and swatted, but grabbing one THE VERY FIRST DAY, and then doing the whole thing all over again in 6-12 months. It became a life style.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ever since I read that great book Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, I've kind of really enjoyed watching and observing "cultural crazes".

This Popeyes Chicken Sandwich thing ... all I can tell you is once I finally heard about it and decided to check out what the madness was all about, my local Popeye's had told me they had sold out of them. Sure enough, the website for the national chain also shows the sandwich is sold out. Those of you who can still get them must be lucky. Of course, I can't fathom what they have run out of. Was there a sudden shortage of barrel pickles that struck the country or the company? I sense something along the lines of the Great Taco Bell Nacho Fries Scam :D , where they withdraw the product, only to bring it back and reintroduce it to have a second wave of hype. I can tell you when it comes back, I still ain't waiting 90 minutes to try one. NO chicken sandwich can be that good. Maybe I'll go by the chain at 3 AM. (Doubt they stay open that late.) :D

Anyway ... found this story amusing. Not a real "news" story, so I'll put it in Off the Beaten Path.

Gun Drawn After Disappointed Group Can't Get Hands On Coveted Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
While a group of five stormed a Popeyes in Texas, another person in Tennessee is suing the restaurant, claiming the famed chicken sandwich "just consumes you."
https://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/gun-d ... n-sandwich

Just how good can one sandwich be?
Popeyes released a new chicken sandwich a few weeks ago — made of fried chicken breast and with pickles, spicy mayo optional — and the sandwich has since prompted long lines, a lawsuit, and now, a gun being drawn on Popeyes employees.

A group of six — two women, three men, and a baby — went to one of the chain’s drive-thru locations in Houston, Texas, on September 3, and tried to order the coveted sandwiches... but the chain was all out.

The group apparently didn’t believe it.

The group allegedly charged at the door of the restaurant, one of the men holding a gun, but a quick-thinking restaurant worker locked them out, KTRK in Houston reports.

The baby was allegedly left inside the group’s vehicle during the chicken-inspired confrontation.

"Somebody could have lost their life because they ran out of chicken sandwiches,” local resident Fredrick Taylor told KTRK. :roll: :roll:

[snip]

Over in Tennessee, a Chattanooga man actually filed a lawsuit after a Popeyes ran out of the sandwich.

"I can't get happy; I have this sandwich on my mind. I can't think straight," Craig Barr told the Chattanooga Times Free Press."It just consumes you."

His suit claims the company has hurt him with false advertising and deceptive business practices. It also blames Popeyes for causing him to waste "countless time driving" seeking out the sandwich.

Wanda Lavender, a 38-year-old manager at a Popeyes in Milwaukee, told Vox her legs went numb from standing 10 to 12 hours dealing with the long lines the sandwich has inspired. She said one customer threatened to shoot her staff over the food craze.

[snip][end]

C'mon people ... I mean, what are they putting in this damn sandwich? Crack? Gold? Pressed Ladanum? Yes, I've yet to try one, but sheesh.

I definitely am not going to wait till my legs get numb. :roll:

Popeyes proves what P.T. Barnum supposedly said: "There's a sucker born every minute."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Popeyes proves what P.T. Barnum supposedly said: "There's a sucker born every minute."

Yes but have you tried one? I am going to get one today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Let me know what you think...if I ask you now what did you think of A or B it will ruin it

so AFTER you have one we must discuss...

:rw)

So little in life anymore that is fun, this is fun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Let me know what you think...if I ask you now what did you think of A or B it will ruin it

so AFTER you have one we must discuss...

:rw)

So little in life anymore that is fun, this is fun.

Yes I think this is exactly why this is happening, too.

It's like, I can leave the house and 15 minutes later have some dumb bigot call the cops on me, the cops come, I get Sandra Blanded or Oscar Granted in a second, and that's it. So yeah why shouldn't I enjoy a Popey's sandwich, cripes. lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Lib, I'd try one, but all the Popeye's in my area say it's out of stock.

Not just as in "we sold all our sandwiches for the day" but as in "we're not selling it anymore."

Go to the main Popeye's site ... it shows an empty sandwich wrapper and "be right back".
https://www.popeyes.com

That same sign is on the door, of the empty wrapper, of my local Popeye's. Anyway, there was no line when I got there, so I went up to the counter and figured I'd ask. Couldn't hurt. "Got the famous sandwich?" The lady at the counter smiled and pointed at the sign on the door. "Any idea when you'll have the sandwich again?" A smile and still no answer. OK, time to order something else on the menu. They DO still have the Po'Boy sandwich made from tenders, but that's nothing new.

At least now they have one now that's within 5 miles of me on 36th street, as opposed to when I used to have to drive down to Perrine and Richmond Heights. Shall we not be obvious? Both of those are primarily African-American neighborhoods, don't know about land or property values. :D

Incidentally, I first tried Popeye's because my brother lived in New Orleans, at the time, when he was in med school, and it was just getting started there. I happen to love their spicy chicken, so I can understand why the sandwich would be good. Not like waiting till my legs get numb good, but good.

We had another similar chain in Miami called Bojangle's Chicken. It was spicy and tasted very similar. All of those are gone, have been for years. We also have Church's Chicken, but I can tell you none of those are remotely nearby to me. OTOH, it's worth the drive, because their honey butter biscuits are like little discs of crack.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not just as in "we sold all our sandwiches for the day" but as in "we're not selling it anymore."

Go to the main Popeye's site ... it shows an empty sandwich wrapper and "be right back".

That same sign is on the door, of the empty wrapper, of my local Popeye's. Anyway, there was no line when I got there, so I went up to the counter and figured I'd ask. Couldn't hurt. "Got the famous sandwich?" The lady at the counter smiled and pointed at the sign on the door. "Any idea when you'll have the sandwich again?" A smile and still no answer. OK, time to order something else on the menu. They DO still have the Po'Boy sandwich made from tenders, but that's nothing new.

At least now they have one now that's within 5 miles of me on 36th street, as opposed to when I used to have to drive down to Perrine and Richmond Heights. Shall we not be obvious? Both of those are primarily African-American neighborhoods, don't know about land or property values. :D

Incidentally, I first tried Popeye's because my brother lived in New Orleans, at the time, when he was in med school, and it was just getting started there. I happen to love their spicy chicken, so I can understand why the sandwich would be good. Not like waiting till my legs get numb good, but good.

We had another similar chain in Miami called Bojangle's Chicken. It was spicy and tasted very similar. All of those are gone, have been for years. We also have Church's Chicken, but I can tell you none of those are remotely nearby to me. OTOH, it's worth the drive, because their honey butter biscuits are like little discs of crack.

Oh, Church's is the bessssttttt. That's one drawback (of many) living in the foodie capital of Planet Earth, the lack of fast food and chain restaurants here. I've learned a lot from the foodies, but they are either too dense or too wrapped up in their status-seeking pretentions to get it: they're actually creating a market for fast food as a sought-after delicacy. Dorks.

I do want to try the Burger King Impossible Burger, the KFC vegetarian nuggets, and the so-called vegan McDonald's burger that's rumored to be coming out soon. I am a big fan of TVP and tofu and not as a meat substitute, I love it on its own, so usually these things wouldn't appeal to me. But I'm curious whether they can duplicate the signature flavors of these chains with meat substitutes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK, and you mentioned "spicy", you have the choice at Popeye's, regular or spicy. I dont do spicy so the two I have had are regular, but next time I might go spicy...

AND as to why the sandwich is good almost has more to do with A and B than the chicken, I am not saying what A and B are in this thread because I dont want CJ to be thinking about that when she eats it, if she comes up with A and B on her own that will be fun.

I may have mentioned already what A and B are but, lets wait till she gets back.

So glad you are safe, while we have never met (you werent at that RRMB meet up in Santa Monica at that sports bar, right?) you know I love you and after losing Will, well dont wanna go thru that again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know I wasn't at that meetup, cuz I've been to California, but never set foot in Santa Monica. :D

I wish I had met Will before he died. I have a mental picture, of course, and I always wondered if he would be like it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Santa Monica seems an odd place for an RRMB meetup. Was Randi there or something?

I love that madness of crowds stuff. It's remarkable some of the things that go viral and cause these superfads. Or people invest in whacko ideas like balancing Manhattan before it falls into the river.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, and I have no intention of going to one just to try their chicken sandwich. When I was stationed in Germany in the 90s, the nearest Popeye's was at Ramstein AB so whenever someone from our shop had to go to Ramstein they'd take orders for Popeye's Cajun Rice. Other than their rice, they were pretty much like any other fast food restaurant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Santa Monica seems an odd place for an RRMB meetup. Was Randi there or something?

I love that madness of crowds stuff. It's remarkable some of the things that go viral and cause these superfads. Or people invest in whacko ideas like balancing Manhattan before it falls into the river.

NO of course she was NOT there, she is very demeaning to her fans.

I dont remember why, the person who organized it lived in So Cal and that is where it was, a sports bar, Irish maybe. Maybe someone here mentioned it already. Or British? I remember soccer being a theme.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

That sounds right. Lots of British in Santa Monica, when they can afford it. They like the climate. It's a slightly warmer and considerably drier version of home, as opposed to the rest of L.A., which is more like a desert. Of course we drive on the wrong side, and we've mucked about with their language quite a bit, but they get used to it.

Point being that there have been two British expat pubs in SM for as long as I can remember, and given where I grew up, that's a long, long time. Ye Mucky Duck is long gone, and last time I checked the pub of choice was Ye Olde King's Head. I don't know what happened to the Tudor House, which also had a grocery where you could get mushy peas and spotted dick. But there is another pub in that part of SM somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

NO of course she was NOT there, she is very demeaning to her fans.

Oh I dunno. It is true she won't participate in her chats or MBs ... Nicole Sandler does.

I dunno if she's demeaning to her fans ... she likes it when they call in.