White House sparks primary firestorm by pushing South Carolina for top spot

News and events of the day
ap215

Post by ap215 »

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden is recommending that South Carolina, the state that lifted him to frontrunner status in the 2020 primary, kickoff the 2024 presidential nominating contest for Democrats, according to a top Democratic source familiar with the plan.

In doing so, he has set off a frenzied scramble among competing early states that are apoplectic over the move.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... -rcna59449
gounion

Re: White House sparks primary firestorm by pushing South Carolina for top spot

Post by gounion »

WHEEEEEE!
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Do it!

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

There's no iron clad law that says it must be Iowa and New Hampshire who have this outsize role in primaries every 4 years. It's not impossible to grab the ring if you lose those 2 states, but ... it sure gets harder.

Do these states really adequately represent the rest of the nation? I don't think so.

There was a time where I hoped Florida could be moved up (if not to the first primaries). Not now. Keep us penned down. :lol:

I personally think this constant jockeying for early position could be resolved if they just set up a rotating primary system. Fairest for everybody.

We'll see.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Or have one national primary day. Much better for a lot of reasons than drawing it out over a months-long series of campaigns. The only advantage of the current system is that largely inconsequential states get more press coverage when they're the only ones voting. The disadvantage is that, starting on January 2nd, we start hearing about waves and stuff and it rarely means anything in the end.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:22 pm Or have one national primary day. Much better for a lot of reasons than drawing it out over a months-long series of campaigns. The only advantage of the current system is that largely inconsequential states get more press coverage when they're the only ones voting. The disadvantage is that, starting on January 2nd, we start hearing about waves and stuff and it rarely means anything in the end.
Well, on one hand, I agree - but there's something about having it drawn out to show what the candidate is made of. I mean, if there were just ONE national primary, heck, Rudy would have been the GOP nominee for President.

And the contest between Hillary and Obama wouldn't have happened like it did. So I see big strengths of the system we have now. But having small states that aren't indicative of the nation as a whole is a problem. I mean, Biden wants to make South Carolina the first - but there's no chance in hell that South Carolina will ever vote for a Dem in the November elections.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ProfX wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:53 am There's no iron clad law that says it must be Iowa and New Hampshire who have this outsize role in primaries every 4 years. It's not impossible to grab the ring if you lose those 2 states, but ... it sure gets harder.

Do these states really adequately represent the rest of the nation? I don't think so.

There was a time where I hoped Florida could be moved up (if not to the first primaries). Not now. Keep us penned down. :lol:

I personally think this constant jockeying for early position could be resolved if they just set up a rotating primary system. Fairest for everybody.

We'll see.
I think there should be a date when the first and last primaries are held and the states can determine the date of their primary election. If a state wants and early primary date then they can make it early. California used to have their presidential and state primary in June and moved it up to March because in most cases the party's nominee was determined before June and California wants to have a bigger influence on who the nominee would be.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:22 pm Or have one national primary day. Much better for a lot of reasons than drawing it out over a months-long series of campaigns. The only advantage of the current system is that largely inconsequential states get more press coverage when they're the only ones voting. The disadvantage is that, starting on January 2nd, we start hearing about waves and stuff and it rarely means anything in the end.
While on a gut-level that seems reasonable I suggest everyone remember John Edwards. During the 2008 primary, he was running third behind Clinton and Obama and Edwards portrayed himself as a "family-man" standing with his wife while she battled cancer. It turned out Edwards was having an affair during this time and when it came out it ended his run for the party's nomination.

Had there been a one-day national primary day and Edwards won it would have sunk his chances to win the presidency and probably the Democrat's chances for taking Congress when the news of his affair broke. A protracted primary gives voters a chance to see and know the candidates over a period of time.

I wouldn't object to having a set time period for primaries such as March - June.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

What you suggest sounds like a reasonable compromise. A primary season, so our perception of the candidates can develop and evolve, but not one that lasts six months, keeping candidates on the stump for too long.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:24 pm What you suggest sounds like a reasonable compromise. A primary season, so our perception of the candidates can develop and evolve, but not one that lasts six months, keeping candidates on the stump for too long.
The 2024 presidential primary season has already started. It's just the "potential" candidates are lining up political endorsements which helps them in lining up deep-pocket donors. Most of this will be unnoticed by the voters because they have their lives to live and the actual primary campaigns will start in the Fall of 2023.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Yep! And they drop out if they can't raise money and lose support long before the primaries start.