Talk about it here.

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ap215
Board Emeritus

Verizon Fios Breaks Cable Rules With 'Mix & Match'

Post by ap215 »

More Media Consolidation Swindling

Verizon Fios Breaks Cable Rules With 'Mix & Match'

Saying it wants to disrupt the cable industry, Verizon announced that it will be selling its Fios service a new way, offering subscribers more choices and eliminating contracts, hidden fees and forced bundling.

Verizon is promoting its new way of doing business as Mix & Match. Consumers start by picking an internet speed, with 100 Mbps, 300 Mbps and gigabit connections available for $39.99, $59.99 and $79.99 a month, respectively.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/ ... -mix-match" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Re: Verizon Fios Breaks Cable Rules With 'Mix & Match'

Post by ZoWie »

Interesting, though. The bundling thing is pretty much the problem with cable. You can't pick your channels. They hold hostage one or two of the ones that people really want to see, unless you sign up for a more expensive plan and a bunch of shit you don't want.

Spectrum brags that it has no contracts. This is true. It lets them raise your rates any time they feel like it. And they still have bundles.

Cord cutting is not just to be hip.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

It's not just to be hip, but the weird thing is I'm not so sure at the end of the day it will slay the cable beast, either.

The cool thing is you're pretty much free and clear to pick your streaming channels/networks a la carte. Cord cutters love that. But, add up the totals for a la carte Nutflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Disney+, Apple+, CBS All Access, Crunchyroll, SlingTV, Tidal, Epix, whatever, I could keep going for a long time.

Add up everything you want, and even though you're not being forced to bundle it, ... it ain't that much cheaper than cable.

And I sure wish I was somewhere on the planet where streaming doesn't still mean moments of rebuffering, pixellation, and times where it looks like the entire cast of Friends is melting, but ... I'm not. I stream a lot, but I'm not ready to totally cut the cord. Those glitches happen occasionally when watching regular cable programming, but usually only when somebody has died over at the cable distribution office and is lying prone on the console. :mrgreen:

If there was a way I could get fiber where I live in Miami, I'd consider opting for it. My brother has FiOS in New Jersey. That's awesome. That's the way you should stream. But I can't.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

The fiber optic system they had a few years ago, my son in SC had it and I had DTV where I lived and his picture BLEW mine out of the window, way better.

I would like to look at this but they dont have it where I am I think.
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

I noticed Verizon promoting a new way of doing business today over my phone. Today I saw an alert appear which was suggesting that I allow Verizon to use my home WiFi to carry my phone calls when I'm at home.

That's nifty, they're offering me the chance to shove their contracted traffic onto my ISP's system, that ought to free up their over loaded towers quite nicely.

They indicated it would improve my service if I allow it. I know how slow my ISP is, it could not possibly improve my service.

I wonder if they've made a deal with my ISP to pay them for carrying Verizon's traffic?

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Sam Lefthand » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 pm wrote:I noticed Verizon promoting a new way of doing business today over my phone. Today I saw an alert appear which was suggesting that I allow Verizon to use my home WiFi to carry my phone calls when I'm at home.

That's nifty, they're offering me the chance to shove their contracted traffic onto my ISP's system, that ought to free up their over loaded towers quite nicely.

They indicated it would improve my service if I allow it. I know how slow my ISP is, it could not possibly improve my service.

I wonder if they've made a deal with my ISP to pay them for carrying Verizon's traffic?
WiFi calling is vital in our case, we are surrounded by too many towers apparently so we have almost no cell coverage at all and we are practically downtown in a pretty big city.

We even have the $300 Verizon network extender that sort of works but with 4 bars we still drop calls all the time...WiFi calling is a simple click on with your phone, I suggest anyone do it anywhere they are as it will make the call work better...go to settings, phone, enable WiFi calling
...put it in airplane mode to force it into wifi calling and leave it there while you are using that WiFi

The only reason you would use WiFi calling is if your signal is bad and you have access to WiFi...
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

We have towers every few blocks around here, in LA. Not 5G, that's still building out. 4G LTE microcells really. And millions of people are sitting in LA traffic yakking on their phones. We haven't had a dropped call in years. This is straight Verizon Wireless. They sold the landlines to Frontier Telecom a couple of years ago, and those suck.

Right now the whole subscription model depends on people not adding up how much all these things cost when agreed to separately. Yes, at some point a lot of people are going to have sudden sticker shock.