The issue that will define the 2024 election

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: The issue that will define the 2024 election

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:50 am Let’s be clear: It’s Republican laws they are being jailed under. Period.

Take responsibility. This didn’t “just happen”. You’re lying when you pretend it did.

Yes, this is an organized effort by the Republican Party. They want to ban abortion across the nation - for any reason.

And you’re lying when you say they aren’t.
Some people in the Republican Party want to ban abortion. Some people in the Democrat Party want no restrictions at all. I don’t agree with either position. I don’t believe most Americans agree with either position. I believe most Americans are somewhere in the middle. Bottomline, as Nikki Haley has pointed out, the party extremes don’t have the votes in the Senate. I tend to agree with her position that we need a policy that addresses the rights of the unborn while also addressing the rights of the mother in consultation with her medical professionals to make decisions and control her own body. That’s going to be a tough issue to resolve and the extremes on both sides of this issue won’t be satisfied. We have been struggling with this issue for more than 50 years. Nobody has an answer that will satisfy everyone.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:07 am Some people in the Republican Party want to ban abortion. Some people in the Democrat Party want no restrictions at all. I don’t agree with either position. I don’t believe most Americans agree with either position. I believe most Americans are somewhere in the middle. Bottomline, as Nikki Haley has pointed out, the party extremes don’t have the votes in the Senate. I tend to agree with her position that we need a policy that addresses the rights of the unborn while also addressing the rights of the mother in consultation with her medical professionals to make decisions and control her own body. That’s going to be a tough issue to resolve and the extremes on both sides of this issue won’t be satisfied. We have been struggling with this issue for more than 50 years. Nobody has an answer that will satisfy everyone.
Wrong. It’s been the policy and platform of the Republican Party for over 50 years to ban abortion. It’s not “some people”.

“No restrictions” - how about the restrictions of doctors and hospitals? You want the government involved? Why? Why should a politician decide what’s right for a woman?

The extreme CONTROLS the GOP, and has for a long time. You’re dishonest when you say otherwise.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:17 am Wrong. It’s been the policy and platform of the Republican Party for over 50 years to ban abortion. It’s not “some people”.

“No restrictions” - how about the restrictions of doctors and hospitals? You want the government involved? Why? Why should a politician decide what’s right for a woman?

The extreme CONTROLS the GOP, and has for a long time. You’re dishonest when you say otherwise.
Why should a politician decide what’s right for anyone? But politicians decide that kind of stuff all the time. Why should a politician care about the car I drive, the appliances in my home, etc. There are politicians attempting to limit or influence our lives and our choices every single day.

Again, the laws we pass in theory should reflect our shared values. Clearly as it pertains to abortion, we are not there yet. Most Americans are in the middle on this issue and that pisses off those at the extremes in both parties.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:23 am Why should a politician decide what’s right for anyone? But politicians decide that kind of stuff all the time. Why should a politician care about the car I drive, the appliances in my home, etc. There are politicians attempting to limit or influence our lives and our choices every single day.
Wow. Equating a woman’s right to decide for her body is the same as a car or an appliance.

Just like a conservative.
Again, the laws we pass in theory should reflect our shared values. Clearly as it pertains to abortion, we are not there yet. Most Americans are in the middle on this issue and that pisses off those at the extremes in both parties.
I’m sorry, but the entire GOP is the extreme. You are dishonest to pretend otherwise. They have been for banning abortion across the land, and then criminalizing it for decades. Don’t pretend otherwise.

That’s what you vote for. And that’s the position of the people you vote for.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:35 am Wow. Equating a woman’s right to decide for her body is the same as a car or an appliance.

Just like a conservative.

I’m sorry, but the entire GOP is the extreme. You are dishonest to pretend otherwise. They have been for banning abortion across the land, and then criminalizing it for decades. Don’t pretend otherwise.

That’s what you vote for. And that’s the position of the people you vote for.
Obviously I don’t share your opinion. I don’t believe most Americans share your opinion. So maybe you are one of the “extremes”.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Three branches of government, all broken in different ways.

An agenda decided by TV ratings.

A Supreme Court that is as close to a titled aristocracy as the Constitution will allow.

A House where three bozos with the temporary favor of media gatekeepers can stop all business indefinitely. A Senate where one bozo can kill anything.

A President who sells face time for twenty grand. Doesn't matter which party. They both govern that way. Expensive whores, and not even very good ones. Nothing matters except who's got the scratch. Policy made at island soirees.

Fifty little elections (or is it more?), all carefully gerrymandered and manipulated in their own homespun manners, passing for one big one.

Apparently, with a largely apathetic and disillusioned population of voters, that's considered enough.
Last edited by ZoWie on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:45 am Obviously I don’t share your opinion. I don’t believe most Americans share your opinion. So maybe you are one of the “extremes”.
Actually, seven out of ten Americans share my opinion. They believe abortion should be safe and legal.

You’re the one that votes for those who want to ban abortion, and put women in jail for having miscarriages.

Don’t see any Republicans coming forward and saying it’s wrong to indict a woman for having a miscarriage. Not you, that’s for sure. You call me a liar for pointing it out. You can’t even admit it’s happening. Not surprised.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:48 am Three branches of government, all broken in different ways.

An agenda decided by TV ratings.

A Supreme Court that is as close to a titled aristocracy as the Constitution will allow.

A House where three bozos with the temporary favor of media gatekeepers can stop all business indefinitely. A Senate where one bozo can kill anything.

A President who sells face time for twenty grand. Doesn't matter which party. They both govern that way. Nothing matters except who's got the scratch. Policy made at island soirees.

Fifty little elections (or is it more?), all carefully gerrymandered and manipulated in their own homespun manners, passing for one big one.

Apparently, with a largely apathetic and disillusioned population of voters, that's considered enough.
And yet everyone wants to come here. Go figure.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It's economic.

The "figures" that matter are on computer screens or tax returns. The industrial age has trashed the climate, encouraged organized crime, and displaced millions.

Go figure, indeed.
Last edited by ZoWie on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:51 am And yet everyone wants to come here. Go figure.
Translation: “I’ve got nothin’!”
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:50 am Actually, seven out of ten Americans share my opinion. They believe abortion should be safe and legal.

You’re the one that votes for those who want to ban abortion, and put women in jail for having miscarriages.

Don’t see any Republicans coming forward and saying it’s wrong to indict a woman for having a miscarriage. Not you, that’s for sure. You call me a liar for pointing it out. You can’t even admit it’s happening. Not surprised.
You are in fact a serial liar. I wouldn’t believe a single thing you say. However, I didn’t dispute this woman was indicted for “abuse of a corpse”. Not having a miscarriage. You left that part out. Although the case itself is sad as this woman lost her child. And it was a child to her. A fetus to you I guess and just “tissue”.

If your party wants to run on abortion, go for it. As far as I can tell it’s about all you got going for you at the moment. The GOP can run on its record. The voters will decide. That’s as it should be.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:52 am Translation: “I’ve got nothin’!”
You never have. Never will. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Let's have the presidency be a referendum on abortion. It is not an ideal situation, but it beats having a referendum on how to stop an unstoppable worldwide migration caused by bad policy.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:57 am You never have. Never will. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Again, you're too stupid to understand what quotation marks are for. You still belong at the kiddie table.

In this century, Republican Presidents have been among the worst in our history. The most popular President was Obama, and he ranks just behind Ronald Reagan. Biden will certainly be higher than either Bush II or Trump.

And there's no reason to think that any other Republican running would be any improvement over either Bush or Trump.

And you can't make the case that they can be. In fact, you run away from them, just like you run away from Trump. You pretend they don't exist.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:01 pm Again, you're too stupid to understand what quotation marks are for. You still belong at the kiddie table.

In this century, Republican Presidents have been among the worst in our history. The most popular President was Obama, and he ranks just behind Ronald Reagan. Biden will certainly be higher than either Bush II or Trump.

And there's no reason to think that any other Republican running would be any improvement over either Bush or Trump.

And you can't make the case that they can be. In fact, you run away from them, just like you run away from Trump. You pretend they don't exist.
I’m not selling a Trump presidency. No need for me to run from it.

I’m simply making the point that as far a Presidential candidates are concerned, we are scrapping the bottom of the outhouse shithole with the current front runners. Do Inthink both parties can and should do better. Yes. Most certainly. They cannot do much worse.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:10 pm I’m not selling a Trump presidency. No need for me to run from it.

I’m simply making the point that as far a Presidential candidates are concerned, we are scrapping the bottom of the outhouse shithole with the current front runners. Do Inthink both parties can and should do better. Yes. Most certainly. They cannot do much worse.
So you admit the others running for the GOP nomination are also the bottom of the outhouse shithole, right? Including the man you vote for and support for the Governor of your state, right?

Obama was the best President of this century, with Biden running in second place. They other two Presidents of this century are among the worst in history.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The situation on the ground is that neither party has anyone. Biden is actually one of the better presidents, but he has the charisma of a wet noodle. He's only three years older than drumpf, and drumpf presently starts to look old, but everyone comments on how old Biden looks. drumpf, of course, is all the Republicans have, and he already has a record of four years of bad government, telling people that bleach was the cure for Covid, building a flimsy wall along a small portion of the border and sticking us with the tab, and revealing key military secrets to Putin. No one can say we weren't warned.

Mostly right now, we're proving that government by media charisma scores (they still use TVQ?) combined with ineffective self-promoting posturing in Congress, has replaced democracy. Having been manipulated into considering the best leaders to be the ones that lead the least, the country is drifting rudderless into an ice field.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:21 pm The situation on the ground is that neither party has anyone. Biden is actually one of the better presidents, but he has the charisma of a wet noodle. He's only three years older than drumpf, and drumpf presently starts to look old, but everyone comments on how old Biden looks. drumpf, of course, is all the Republicans have, and he already has a record of four years of bad government, telling people that bleach was the cure for Covid, building a flimsy wall along a small portion of the border and sticking us with the tab, and revealing key military secrets to Putin. No one can say we weren't warned.

Mostly right now, we're proving that government by media charisma scores (they still use TVQ?) and posturing in Congress instead of compromising on legislation has replaced democracy.
In today's world, why would ANYONE in their right mind want to run for the Presidency? I mean, you'd just about have to be insane wanting to put your family through such a thing, especially a dem, because the right will always do everything they can to destroy you and everyone that is anywhere near to you.

And yes, this is a problem mostly with the GOP. No one on the left has went after Trump's youngest son, nor Tiffany, who hasn't been involved. The other three kids are part of his administration and campaign, so they are fair game.

But the right wants to destroy Biden's son and his brother, and even started such false rumors like Biden had sex with his current wife when she was the family babysitter when she was underage.

Which is completely false. But they GOP doesn't care, right, Glenn? :lol: :lol: :lol: (that's because Glenn pushed this false rumor)

But there's no way that a smart and sane person would want to go into politics these days. The right has worked to destroy public service.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The right couldn't have gotten away with it without a sympathetic media elite controlled by billionaires after the Republicans repealed most media ownership laws. They jumped on a post-Vietnam post-Watergate leadership vacuum to give the whole show (literally) away to the most unrepentant robber barons in the world. The Democratic Party never really recovered from its heroic stand on Jim Crow losing the Solid South, but what really did it in was the fact that getting Democrats to unite behind a charismatic candidate is like that proverbial herding of cats.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:30 pm The right couldn't have gotten away with it without a sympathetic media elite controlled by billionaires after the Republicans repealed most media ownership laws.
Yes, for sure, the beginning was doing away with the fairness doctrine. And media honchos on the right worked to destroy the very idea of a fair media.

Now, there was going to be a problem anyway, because if the rise of cable TV and then the internet, because the fairness doctrine applied to only broadcast media that was regulated by the government. It wouldn't apply to other media.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Technology is, at its base, the apolitical development of tools. There is some crossover into politics because in the past century or so the influence of technology has been to widen who has the ear of the electorate.

At least when the Democrats lost the Solid South, they gained the respect of everyone who wanted the country to put its policy where its rhetoric was, and that's a lot of people. What went wrong after that will be debated forever, but for me indeed it was the supposed democratization of media which was the cover story for the takeover of the mike by the billionaires. It's still too soon to write the definitive narrative on where Internet fits in, but given the timing it should have been evident that one side was better equipped to effectively use the newer better shinier soap box than the other.

Hint: we lost.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:13 pm So you admit the others running for the GOP nomination are also the bottom of the outhouse shithole, right? Including the man you vote for and support for the Governor of your state, right?

Obama was the best President of this century, with Biden running in second place. They other two Presidents of this century are among the worst in history.
I said “front runners”. Do learn to read.
Glennfs

Post by Glennfs »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:13 pm So you admit the others running for the GOP nomination are also the bottom of the outhouse shithole, right? Including the man you vote for and support for the Governor of your state, right?

We have only had 4 and of them was Trump. As for your constant praise of Biden whatever.

In the last 100 years who in your opinion was the best republican president and was he better than any of the democrats who served in the last 100 years.
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
gounion

Post by gounion »

Glennfs wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:26 pm We have only had 4 and of them was Trump. As for your constant praise of Biden whatever.

In the last 100 years who in your opinion was the best republican president and was he better than any of the democrats who served in the last 100 years.
The first Bush was a decent President. Better than Carter. He did a great job with the Iraq war, and refused to go into Iraq which would have broken his coalition.

Again both Trump and the Bush Jr. were complete failures and will alway be at the bottom of the list for Presidents. There’s few dems that can match how horrible they both were. Makes it hard to argue for another round for the GOP. The entire party is a dumpster fire.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Of course, the GOP will not work with Biden to do anything about the border - but it's all Biden's fault, right, Joe and Glenn? https://www.rawstory.com/i-will-not-hel ... den-a-win/
A major criticism that Never Trump conservatives have of MAGA Republicans is that they are more interested in "owning the Democrats" than making strong policy decisions.

And they typically cite President Ronald Reagan's relationships with House Speaker Tip O'Neill during the 1980s or Joe Biden's alliances with Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and Sen. Bob Dole (R-KS) as examples of Republicans and Democrats — disagreements and all — being able to find common ground and get things done.

In 2024, Republicans and Democrats have a mutual interest in security on the U.S./Mexico border. But in an article published this week, Rolling Stone's Nikki McCann Ramirez describes Rep. Troy Nehls (R-TX) as a Republican who has "made clear" that his motives are "purely political" when it comes to a possible Biden and GOP deal on border policy.

Nehls, Ramirez observes, "said the quiet part out loud" when he told CNN, "Let me tell you, I'm not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden's approval rating.

“I will not help the Democrats try to improve this man's dismal approval ratings. I'm not going to do it. Why would I? (Senate Majority Leader) Chuck Schumer has had HR 2 on his desk since July, and he did nothing with it.”

Nehls' comments, according to Ramirez, "Lay bare House Republicans' ultimate guiding light in their governance strategy: helping Trump defeat President Joe Biden."

"For weeks now," Ramirez reports, "a bipartisan group of senators has been working to craft a deal that would tie increased border security measures to emergency military aid for Israel and Ukraine.

“On Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer told reporters that lawmakers in the upper chamber are 'closer than we have been' to finalizing an agreement. … While Republicans like Nehls have made clear they won't give an inch on immigration if it means handing even the smallest of victories to President Biden, they're prepared to make the border a center-stage 2024 issue in other ways."

Ramirez adds, "On Wednesday, the House Homeland Security Committee announced its intent to move forward with impeachment proceedings against Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas — a showdown long sought by far-right representatives like Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA)."