Hello

News and events of the day
ap215

Re: Hello

Post by ap215 »

Senate confirms Park Service director after years of acting heads

The Senate late Thursday confirmed Charles Sams III to lead the National Park Service, making him the first Senate-confirmed director since the Obama administration.

Sams most recently served on the Northwest Power and Conservation Council. He is an enrolled member of the Cayuse and Walla Walla of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation and the first Native American to lead the National Park Service.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ting-heads
ap215

Post by ap215 »

WNBA introduces new playoff format abolishing single-elimination games, top-seeded byes

The WNBA Board of Governors voted to change its playoff format to eliminate single-elimination games and top-seeded byes beginning with the 2022 postseason, the league announced Thursday.

The new format will be three rounds of series play that uses a best-of-3-5-5 format.

https://www.aol.com/sports/wnba-introdu ... 28302.html
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Mexico's president appoints first woman to lead central bank

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador on Wednesday nominated the first woman to serve as governor of Mexico's central bank.

As Forbes Mexico reported, López Obrador chose Mexican Deputy Finance Minister Victoria Rodríguez Ceja to be in charge of the Bank of Mexico, or Banxico.

https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... ntral-bank
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Federal judge changes his mind about stepping down, eliminating vacancy for Biden to fill

A federal judge who announced in August that he would step down from active service has informed the White House he changed his mind, eliminating a vacancy on the bench President Biden could fill.

Robert King, 81, who serves with the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va., told Biden he would not be taking senior status after all in a letter obtained by Reuters.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... liminating
ap215

Post by ap215 »

'We won': Howard University protests inspire student activists across the U.S.

After 34 consecutive days of rallying, sleeping in tents and occupying a central campus building, Howard University students declared victory last week in their battle against a school administration they claimed had not been fulfilling its responsibility to its students. Students accused school leaders of ignoring dangerous campus housing conditions and other safety issues.

Following weeks of negotiations, university officials and the students announced last week that they had come to an undisclosed agreement, ending the dramatic standoff that chronicled the power of student-led protests.

https://www.aol.com/news/won-howard-uni ... 21087.html
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Kidnappers release 2 of 17 missionaries abducted in Haiti

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Two of 17 members of a missionary group who were kidnapped more than a month ago are safe and “in good spirits” after being freed in Haiti, their U.S..-based church organization announced.

Christian Aid Ministries issued a statement Sunday saying it could not give the names of those released, why they were freed or other information.

https://www.aol.com/news/kidnappers-rel ... irculation
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Josephine Baker, 1st Black woman honored in French Pantheon

PARIS (AP) — France is inducting Josephine Baker — Missouri-born cabaret dancer, French World War II spy and civil rights activist — into its Pantheon, the first Black woman honored in the final resting place of France’s most revered luminaries.

On Tuesday, a coffin carrying soils from the U.S., France and Monaco — places where Baker made her mark — will be deposited inside the domed Pantheon monument overlooking the Left Bank of Paris. Her body will stay in Monaco, at the request of her family.

https://apnews.com/article/entertainmen ... 9ef418bad6
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Stop Watching and Reading the Pundit Boobery

Upending some current myths and half-truths

Look — what’s the problem here? Do I have to explain everything? I don’t want to! Stop watching and reading the pundit boobery! Unbelievable! I’m trying to get through the last of my Thanksgiving day leftovers and I now have to stop and summon all my Marvel superpowers to turn the Speeding False Train of Knuckleheads around and shoot bolts of facts and wisdom into everyone’s heads. I didn’t ask for this job. If you’ve noticed lately I will actually wait for weeks now as I listen to bullshit piled on bullshit before I step in and try to straighten things out. So here I go:

1. Biden’s approval ratings are at an historic low!

No, they’re not! The polls say 52% of us disapprove. That’s because when they call me or you and ask us if we approve we say ”No!” We don’t approve of the human infrastructure bill being chopped down. We don’t approve that there’s still no voting rights bill. We disapprove of Biden not getting Manchin and Sinema in line to vote for these bills. We disapprove of him pulling OSHA back from forcing companies to require employees be vaccinated as a workplace safety issue!

https://www.michaelmoore.com/p/stop-wat ... the-pundit
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Thomas Daigle
@thomasdaigle

It’s official, it’s past midnight in Barbados. The country has become the world’s newest republic. Sandra Mason is sworn in as the first Barbadian president and the country’s first Black head of state.

[VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/thomasdaigle/status ... 2676279297

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

That's nice. :)
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Pearl Harbor survivor, now 99, one of few returning to Hawaii for 80th anniversary. He still remembers the moment he learned Japanese planes were coming

Dick Schimmel likes to say he was the fifth person to know about the planes heading for Pearl Harbor. Rousted from sleep early Sunday, Dec. 7, 1941, he heard about urgent calls from fellow soldiers in the Army’s new radar unit.

Then he heard explosions.

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc- ... story.html
ap215

Post by ap215 »

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ap215 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:02 am Image

:) :) :)

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

Toys R Us is opening a flagship store at American Dream later this month, marking its return to malls

Toys R Us is taking another shot at opening up a store in the United States after its comeback plans were thwarted earlier this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The toy retailer’s parent company, WHP Global, said Wednesday that it will open a two-level, 20,000-square-foot Toys R Us location at the American Dream megamall in New Jersey in the middle of this month, which will operate on extended hours for the remainder of the holiday season.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/01/toys-r- ... amall.html
Number6

Post by Number6 »

The new stadium for San Diego State University football team, the Aztecs, is scheduled for opening in September 2022 on the old site where the former San Diego Chargers played. The naming rights for the new stadium were bought and will the stadium will be known as Snapdragon Stadium.
Officials from SDSU made the announcement on Monday that the 35,000-capacity venue will be christened after its title sponsor, Snapdragon, with the site officially being called Snapdragon Stadium.

If the name Snapdragon is familiar, it's because Qualcomm — one of the county's largest employers — is a high tech creator of computer chips, including Snapdragon, which powers many a cell phone.

Qualcomm paid a nice chunk of change for the naming rights for the new stadium, with officials describing it as a 15-year $45 million deal.
MSN
When you vote left, you vote right.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:34 pm The new stadium for San Diego State University football team, the Aztecs, is scheduled for opening in September 2022 on the old site where the former San Diego Chargers played. The naming rights for the new stadium were bought and will the stadium will be known as Snapdragon Stadium.
The Aztecs is another team which is going to need to change their name.

:|

There isn't a blasted bit of difference between a team named The Indians and another team named The Aztecs.

I would suggest they rename themselves The Supplanters. That's what Diego means.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm The Aztecs is another team which is going to need to change their name.
Fine with me
I would suggest they rename themselves The Supplanters. That's what Diego means.
San Diego is a reference to St. James.

St. James: Apostle, son of Zebedee - Britannica

More on St. James, Iago, Santiago, San Diego

‘James’ and ‘Diego’ May Share Common Origin - Thought Co.
Key Takeaways

• A common explanation of the origin of the Spanish name Diego is that it is derived from the Hebrew name Ya'acov, which is also the source of English names including Jacob and James.

• An alternative theory is that Diego came indirectly from the Greek didache, whose meaning is related to learning.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:06 pm Fine with me

San Diego is a reference to St. James.

St. James: Apostle, son of Zebedee - Britannica

More on St. James, Iago, Santiago, San Diego

‘James’ and ‘Diego’ May Share Common Origin - Thought Co.
And here I thought it was a Zorro reference. I LOVE that Disney TV show - still!
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm The Aztecs is another team which is going to need to change their name.

:|

There isn't a blasted bit of difference between a team named The Indians and another team named The Aztecs.

There's been discussion about that for years. I don't have a source to link but I remember a within the last 10 years a poll was conducted of Mexican-American and Native American SDSU students about the name Aztecs and a slight majority of them weren't in favor of changing it. I have no problem if they want to change the teams name and I'd like to see it reflective of the area. If they want to reflect the area's Native-Americans they could call themselves the San Diego State Kumeyaay provide the Kumeyaay nation approves.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Haiti kidnappers release three more missionaries after abduction

Three people who were among a group of US and Canadian missionaries kidnapped by an armed gang in Haiti have been released, according to their organization.

Christian Aid Ministries said the three were safe and seemed in good spirits.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-59554201
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Jack-in-the-Box buys Del Taco for $575 million.
Three years after ditching Qdoba Mexican Eats, Jack in the Box is scooping up Del Taco in a $575 million deal.

The deal, which is expected to close early next year, doubles down on Jack in the Box's success with tacos. Jack in the Box serves an eclectic array of food from burgers to egg rolls, but the chain has made something of a name for itself with its tacos — and despite getting mixed reviews, they've long been a top-selling item for the brand.

Together, the California-based brands will have over 2,800 restaurants in 25 states and will be better positioned to compete with large quick-service restaurants, the companies said.

Del Taco (TACO) will be a better fit, said Harris on Monday, because it attracts customers similar to those who already shop at Jack in the Box, operates in the same markets and has a similarly hefty drive-thru business: 99% of Del Taco restaurants have a drive-thru, compared with about 90% Jack in the Box locations.
CNN
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:40 pm Jack-in-the-Box buys Del Taco for $575 million.
Jack in the Box tacos are indeed terrible but I love them because they are a one-of-a-kind taste. Haven't had one in years becaust JoB's in this area are a little hard to come by. Haha now I want one.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:08 pm Jack in the Box tacos are indeed terrible but I love them because they are a one-of-a-kind taste. Haven't had one in years becaust JoB's in this area are a little hard to come by. Haha now I want one.
I can't recall the last time I've been to a Jack-in-the-Box even though they're headquartered about 20 minutes away.
IIRC, they were small, limpy, and greasy which only made them better.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:25 pm I can't recall the last time I've been to a Jack-in-the-Box even though they're headquartered about 20 minutes away.
IIRC, they were small, limpy, and greasy which only made them better.
Beef-style filling, fake cheese, with lettuce, under the heatlamps all day... haha they are awful but so delicious.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

Lawmakers reach compromise on annual defense policy bill

Lawmakers released the text of the compromise reached on the annual defense policy bill on Tuesday in a new effort to get the sweeping bill across the finish line.

The compromise on the 2022 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), released by the House and Senate armed services panels, includes a $768.2 billion top line for discretionary funds and addresses a wide range of issues, from the U.S.’s withdrawal from Afghanistan to military justice reform.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/5847 ... omise-bill