$600,00 Found Joel Osteen's Bathroom Walled Tied To 2014 Mega Church Theft.

News and events of the day
sam lefthand

Re: $600,00 Found Joel Osteen's Bathroom Walled Tied To 2014 Mega Church Theft.

Post by sam lefthand »

What makes someone a liberal?

My opinion is that it would be easier to write the essay on the topic: What makes someone a Conservative?

My opinion is that which makes a Liberal is that which a Conservative is not. So define a conservative to define a liberal.

My opinion is that Conservatives are exclusive, so Liberals are inclusive.

My opinion is that Conservative are established, so Liberals are ideal.

Conservatives are definite, finite, circumscribed, narrow, restricted, and settled. So liberals are boundless, circuitous, infinite, tolerant, plenitudinous, and vexed.

:|

Yes vexed!
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

The one thing I always admired about Rev. Ike was the fact he was always upfront on taking money.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:34 pm No human being is trash.

:shock:
I didn’t call a human being trash, but do write your president to remind him to tell that to ICE.

ICE treats immigrants, asylum seekers, and other migrants as trash. You support it, and make excuses for it.

You also defend a trash lifestyle and this cult leader.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:36 pm My opinion is …
Not interested in watercarrier opinions on anything.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:25 pm Joel Osteen weighs in on Obama
"Osteen says he thinks Obama is 'great.'" Mega-preacher and best-selling author Joel Osteen is putting his faith in Barack Obama.

https://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2 ... -on-obama/
This is nothing but bandwagon-jumping in order to get ratings in order to make more money. Saying great things about Obama was a calculated thing.

He also works at being friends with the right.

He's a charlatan and nothing more. He also said nice things about Trump on, of course, a right-wing radio show. Prosperity gospel is about one thing: Prosperity for the preacher, taking money from people who then go hungry because they think God told them to.

In my book, there's NOTHING lower than bastards like him.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Basic stuff at Wikipedia:

1. he preaches the Prosperity Gospel, which many other Christian theologians think is a load of crap.
2. during Hurricane Harvey, he refused allowing his mega cathedral to be used as a shelter.

Also:
Osteen is estimated to have a net worth of over $50 million, with his church taking in $43 million a year in collections,
Osteen lives with his family in a 17,000 square-foot mansion in River Oaks, with an estimated value of $10.5 million.

Now, who knows. Not saying a Christian minister must take a vow of poverty and live like a Franciscan friar, but ... well, you decide, if someone who is a minister got that wealthy without a bit of fleecing of the flock.

He reminds me a lot of what Michael Jordan once said: "Even Republicans buy underwear and shoes" (or something to that effect). He tries to appear bipartisan, hangs out with and praises folks from both parties, makes sure he doesn't take any strongly controversial social issue stances, I think it would interfere with his "brand name appearance" of a guy who just wants everybody of all parties to know G-d loves them, and loves them even more if they would donate to his church or buy his books.

I do agree if it was Osteen who hid away that stash, would not make sense why he would hide away uncashed checks. Those are now long since void.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:16 am Basic stuff at Wikipedia:

1. he preaches the Prosperity Gospel, which many other Christian theologians think is a load of crap.
Heck, a ton of conservative Protestant Christian theologians think it is a load of crap. My own ticket out of prosperity gospel that my parents got our family into was from reading mostly conservative Christian critiques of prosperity gospel. It helped save my life and I'm not exaggerating about that.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

I’m of the school that you throw your money into the air, and what God wants, he keeps.

Any God that requires money is a false one.

The only thing the Christian Right worships is guns and money.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:21 pm I’m of the school that you throw your money into the air, and what God wants, he keeps.
:lol: good one!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

The problem with these ripoff artists is that they don't care about the horrid reputation they give people of faith who are legit. It takes money to run any orgainzation, including ministry. Even for types who take vows of poverty, there needs to be institutional support.

For denominations that pay salaries, if it's not a rich denomination -- and that includes a lot of denominations -- the salary typically is not a living wage and pastors have to have day jobs in addition to congregational care.

These prosperity pimps tell people God want everybody to be rich and that they can get that way by donating to THEIR ripoff organization, which is typically conservative and in bed with the RNC, GOP, etc. Those people are already prone to believing that through merit they, too, can get rich quick.

The prosperity minister's riches are supposed to be proof and measure of their superior faith. You, too, can be like me if you believe what I say!

Thing is, they think everybody wants to be like them, emulate them, and imitate their clownery.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:42 pm The problem with these ripoff artists is that they don't care about the horrid reputation they give people of faith who are legit. It takes money to run any orgainzation, including ministry. Even for types who take vows of poverty, there needs to be institutional support.

For denominations that pay salaries, if it's not a rich denomination -- and that includes a lot of denominations -- the salary typically is not a living wage and pastors have to have day jobs in addition to congregational care.

These prosperity pimps tell people God want everybody to be rich and that they can get that way by donating to THEIR ripoff organization, which is typically conservative and in bed with the RNC, GOP, etc. Those people are already prone to believing that through merit they, too, can get rich quick.

The prosperity minister's riches are supposed to be proof and measure of their superior faith. You, too, can be like me if you believe what I say!

Thing is, they think everybody wants to be like them, emulate them, and imitate their clownery.
People like Osteen remind me of people who run a foundation or charity and they are the only employees. Their administrative costs are extremely high because they pay themselves high salaries and very little towards the goals of their foundation or charity. The convince people their foundation or charity does good work and gets them to donate money but little of that money goes to where the donors think it's going. In short, they're really scams allowed to exist under the law.
When you vote left, you vote right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:22 pm People like Osteen remind me of people who run a foundation or charity and they are the only employees. Their administrative costs are extremely high because they pay themselves high salaries and very little towards the goals of their foundation or charity. The convince people their foundation or charity does good work and gets them to donate money but little of that money goes to where the donors think it's going. In short, they're really scams allowed to exist under the law.
Another good comparison, yes.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:28 pm Another good comparison, yes.
I give only to foundations and charities I'm familiar with and trust. I donated the two COVID stimulus checks I received to the San Diego Food Bank, Mama's Kitchen (delivers meals to AIDS patients and others), San Diego Meals on Wheels for Seniors, and Brady Children's Hospital.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

The Salvation Army bucket is one I walk right past every time. I'll never put so much as a plug nickle in their hands.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:40 pm The Salvation Army bucket is one I walk right past every time. I'll never put so much as a plug nickle in their hands.
Buncha bigots.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:40 pm The Salvation Army bucket is one I walk right past every time. I'll never put so much as a plug nickle in their hands.
Hard for me because I love putting money in stuff like that but I learned about them long ago from the media and a family member.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:42 pm You, too, can be like me if you believe what I say!
Same line often used by the con men running pyramid schemes.

Yes, they have lives of extreme wealth, because they've figured out how to scam people just like you.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D