The fix is in, Rittenhouse case...

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: The fix is in, Rittenhouse case...

Post by gounion »

Ted wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:21 pm The Mulford Act was signed into law before I was born so my memory on that one is a bit fuzzy. But I did read up on it a bit and the Mulford Act did not ban long guns. It banned the carrying of loaded firearms in public.
You are correct. I misspoke, my apologies. But that is my point - I find the current arguments about the 2nd Amendment fallacious.
Regarding the second amendment - we can argue about what it meant a couple hundred years ago but what matters today is the current interpretation of the law by the SCOTUS. Simple version goes something like this: the people have the right to keep and bear arms and the government has the authority to impose reasonable restrictions on the keeping and bearing of arms.
Well, it looks like the current SCOUTUS may knock down all restrictions on carrying guns. What if the next white supremacist protest at the Capitol has everyone coming fully armed?

Is that the country YOU want?
And we have lawmakers constantly proposing or passing laws designed to test those limits. We had a discussion not too long ago about lawmakers being held personally responsible for passing laws that are later declared unconstitutional. Do you think we should hold those people personally responsible for the laws they pass?

I do not.
What, jailing lawmakers? No, I don't see that. I just wish your side would hold your lawmakers responsible at the ballot box.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:00 amWell, it looks like the current SCOUTUS may knock down all restrictions on carrying guns. What if the next white supremacist protest at the Capitol has everyone coming fully armed?

Is that the country YOU want?
Yes that is exactly the country conservative whites want, the country that has handed them everything and never denied them anything, as they disenfranchise everyone else and complain about being deprived. The country that gave a free pass to murderous white-conservative vigilantism beginning in the 1600s.

Whites rule, whites first, white sovereignty. That is what white conservatives are still after today, by any means necessary.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:19 am Yes that is exactly the country conservative whites want, the country that has handed them everything and never denied them anything, as they disenfranchise everyone else and complain about being deprived. The country that gave a free pass to murderous white-conservative vigilantism beginning in the 1600s.

Whites rule, whites first, white sovereignty. That is what white conservatives are still after today, by any means necessary.
Been telling Randi Rhodes chatters for 4 yrs to buy guns. That there will be no alternative even if owning one just means you live an extra day after MAGA starts executing us rounding us up for deportation or imprisonment.. Not saying it is a certainty, I am saying it is what they want. Have said that for years now.

The ONLY way MAGA doesn't do violence is if they get what they want. What they want is stolen elections and the end of democracy, which is why I say violence is inevitable.

The other reason violence is so likely is SPECIFICALLY the behavior of the cons like those here. They will tell you what I just said is ludicrous, insane, couldn't ever happen, which is EXACTLY why it can happen.
I sigh in your general direction.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Ted wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:48 pm I don't think you have that one correct Bradman.

Here's an explanation of why the gun charges were dropped.....

https://apnews.com/article/why-did-judg ... 5b74e691fb
You are correct Ted. Thanks for the lead.

The gun charges being dropped was disappointing and confusing as to why. i've been more interested in the timeline of events that led up to the shooting and had not done much reading on the gun charges. It's why i had used question marks in that post. i was not quite sure. Having now read about it a bit i'm still a bit confused but i'll give it another try......

So, if Rittenhouse had been caught in possession of brass knuckles that night he could have been charge and prosecuted?
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Libertas wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 pm Been telling Randi Rhodes chatters for 4 yrs to buy guns.
I think this country has way too many guns as it is.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Ted

Post by Ted »

bradman wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:25 am You are correct Ted. Thanks for the lead.

The gun charges being dropped was disappointing and confusing as to why. i've been more interested in the timeline of events that led up to the shooting and had not done much reading on the gun charges. It's why i had used question marks in that post. i was not quite sure. Having now read about it a bit i'm still a bit confused but i'll give it another try......

So, if Rittenhouse had been caught in possession of brass knuckles that night he could have been charge and prosecuted?
I don't know about the brass knuckles but I believe he could have been charged and prosecuted if he had a handgun or a long gun with a barrel shorter than 16 inches.

I think it was correct to dismiss the charge because the law clearly requires that a firearm has to have a barrel shorter than 16 inches for a violation to have occurred.

I expect revisions to this language to be proposed as soon as possible.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:00 am I just wish your side would hold your lawmakers responsible at the ballot box.
But why would they, ever? They agree with it.

Look at this guy's avatar.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:31 am I think this country has way too many guns as it is.
Of course it does, and the vast majority are owned by righty.

You know me, you know I believe and the constitution clearly says the 2nd amendment does NOT give a right to own any gun outside of a "well regulated milita" which these days would be locked buildings where ALL guns would be stored unless during a war or insurrection. But that isnt our reality.

The GOP no longer believes in the rule of law, at all. In ANY way, so I dont know what happens if we dont prepare ourselves.

Prof, ALL the rules we used to play by are gone. We could not buy guns and assume the system would protect us, we cant assume that anymore.

The old fashioned way of just hoping it all works out, no longer works for me but I am only one person so I cant do anything. I believe they will do violence anywhere and everywhere and on top of that I believe they are going to refuse to certify elections, ignore courts or find MAGA judges and that it will all happen in 11 months, long before 2024.

If the decent people wont or cant prepare for this somehow, sure hope our govt and party and DOJ are.

I have not gone out and bought gun and my relative assures me that if I dont have certain types of guns, I am useless anyway, as in NOT hand guns, that they are useless. Too bad we have to go this far. That if I had a handgun, for instance, he assures me it s next to useless compared to what righty has.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I think I've told you this story before. When I was living in DC a while ago, back during the Upper Paleolithic, I remember running into a guy who was there from "JfPFO" (Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership) at a table. He recognized I was Jewish and beckoned me over.

He said "If this were 1938, in Poland, wouldn't you want to have a gun?" I said back to him: "If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle. This isn't Poland, it isn't 1938, and have a nice day." Now I will confess this: it's closer to 1938 now then when I talked to that guy so many geological epochs ago. The Tree of Life synagogue shooting is there in my mind. I still don't think we're there yet.

When we get there, I'll meet you in the woods for partisan training. In the meantime, Professor X does not fight enemies with guns, he fights with his mind. I know the tools and weapons I can use best, and that's what I intend to fight with, until it's no longer possible.

And I have to say, if this ends up being a world in which reason no longer matters, I'm not sure how much longer I would want to continue living, anyway.

Cheers. Do as you wish. If you get a gun, please be careful, as I know the stats on how the most likely person you'll injure or kill is someone you love.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Drak

Post by Drak »

Hey look, if you're a white supremacist and you get away with murdering protesters, you become an instant conservative hero and you start to make the big money.

"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:22 pm Hey look, if you're a white supremacist and you get away with murdering protesters, you become an instant conservative hero and you start to make the big money.

I hope people are getting real angry.
When I think of the Woman denied a post under Biden because the vile fuck Kennedy (what a terrible person to have that name) calling her a commie, I get real fucking mad.

I hope everybody does. Cuz I am.

Adam Schiff just said in an interview that the GOP is putting into place a system that will overturn the 2024 election. Yep
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

TPUSA is a white-supremacist organization.

WS beta males like bradman and greengrass openly support this Proud Boy Jack Posobiec protegé WN.. Sam Lefthand, another WS beta, dutifully runs behind them both, sweeping up heir sh#t into the bucket toilet of unity and civility.

Vishal P. Singh (they/he)
@VPS_Reports

News that Kyle Rittenhouse will be speaking at Turning Point USA is exciting white supremacists nationwide.

Here's Louis Uridel— excited at a chance to meet Rittenhouse.

Uridel has a Three Percenters tattoo, an armed, Nazi-allied hate group designated as terrorists in Canada.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Robo'd-up blond dreadlocks anti-mask guy Uridel has a 3-percenter tattoo.

Parents group, residents bring mask debate to Oceanside school board meeting - The Coast News
Like McKeeman, Uridel also currently doesn’t have any children in the school district but has a child on the way.
Yuck. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells