Rand Paul wants federal tornado aid

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Rand Paul wants federal tornado aid

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:15 am He very specifically cited Afghanistan and Iraq.
Sock.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by marindem01 »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:19 amSock.
New Green, same as the Old Green.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Feeding trolls, socks, infiltrators, hackers, and thrill seekers only makes them stronger. It's what they're after. They go away to better feeding grounds if they are ignored/ snubbed/ shunned.

---

Republicans reveal their hypocrisy on a daily basis. We see the same thing after hurricanes. They scream and yell that Democrats are giving our money away to people who weren't ready for a disaster, as if anyone's ever ready for the worst ones, then when it's their turn to get hit they want their Federal aid prontito.

LA Times today was all over the Democrats for not stopping the pandemic, as if the anti-vax anti-mask anti-science Republicans were any better at it, and that's leaving out their fearless leader who said to inject bleach and then secretly got the vaccine himself.

An asteroid the size of North America hitting the Earth would stop the pandemic, as would an intense gamma ray burst from a close supernova, but that's about all.

This gets old.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bradman

Post by bradman »

To me, the interesting question is how well did Kentucky cooperate with with FEMA up until now. IOW, Has Kentucky actually followed through with planning/training previously offered by FEMA?

https://kyem.ky.gov/Who%20We%20Are/Pages/default.aspx
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am To me, the interesting question is how well did Kentucky cooperate with with FEMA up until now. IOW, Has Kentucky actually followed through with planning/training previously offered by FEMA?

https://kyem.ky.gov/Who%20We%20Are/Pages/default.aspx
Well, the good news is that at the moment Kentucky has a sane democrat as Governor, so the state administration may be functional.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:16 am Feeding trolls, socks, infiltrators, hackers, and thrill seekers only makes them stronger. It's what they're after. They go away to better feeding grounds if they are ignored/ snubbed/ shunned.

---

Republicans reveal their hypocrisy on a daily basis. We see the same thing after hurricanes. They scream and yell that Democrats are giving our money away to people who weren't ready for a disaster, as if anyone's ever ready for the worst ones, then when it's their turn to get hit they want their Federal aid prontito.

LA Times today was all over the Democrats for not stopping the pandemic, as if the anti-vax anti-mask anti-science Republicans were any better at it, and that's leaving out their fearless leader who said to inject bleach and then secretly got the vaccine himself.

An asteroid the size of North America hitting the Earth would stop the pandemic, as would an intense gamma ray burst from a close supernova, but that's about all.

This gets old.
MSM knows the dems are the adults and the cons are the criminals, liars and mostly children as far as maturity goes. So the dems are held to a near impossible standard where cons can execute insurrection and it is OK.

I noticed you assured me there is no way America will end, I admire that positivity, but it is pre trump thinking (with all due respect and you know I mean that, and trust me I want to be wrong and I want you to be right.) We must accept that this is a very real possibility and not assume otherwise, not sure what the answer is, but by now we must all realize there is NOTHING they wont do, and I mean nothing.

I see HRC agrees with me

https://crooksandliars.com/2021/12/hill ... warn-about
On Donald Trump:

"If I were a betting person right now, I’d say Trump is going to run again. He seems to be setting himself up to do that. And if he’s not held accountable, then he gets to do it again. I think that could be the end of our democracy. Not to be too pointed about it, but I want people to understand that this is a make-or-break point. If he were, or someone of his ilk were once again to be elected president, and if especially he had a Congress that would do his bidding, you will not recognize our country."
Actually I am saying Nov 2022 is when most of the damage is gonna happen if we dont do something, and I dont know what that something is.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ProfX wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:40 am Mr. Blu, you seem like someone who has been dealing with GoU for a long time, possibly on previous boards to this one.

Perhaps you would like to discuss your previous experience with him? If you are a newcomer to this board, it doesn't seem like you'd have a long enough experience to reach that judgement.

That was purely rhetorical: I know why you won't.

Incidentally, I don't necessarily think he was reducing your argument to an absurdity, though you can feel free to suggest why it's an incorrect inference. It wouldn't be absurd for someone to defend Trump. Whether or not it would be absurd for YOU to do so requires me to know more about you than your username and vague statements. There most definitely have been Blue Dogs who defended Trump.
According to the commercial, socks are the most requested item in homeless shelters. Bluedogdem is the most request person in homeless shelters which is why I refer to him as Bombas. I.e., he's a sock.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:25 pm According to the commercial, socks are the most requested item in homeless shelters. Bluedogdem is the most request person in homeless shelters which is why I refer to him as Bombas. I.e., he's a sock.
I bought some of board con socks socks, Bombas. I think because Stephanie Miller advertised for them and I like to support her.

REAL good but you dont want to wear them in the summer.

As to people who lie about who they are, nothing new about cons. Basically cons lie about everything all the time.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Congress is already worthless. Don't expect miracles from Congress. It doesn't initiate change any more, if it ever did. It ratifies whatever the working agreement is among the leading class, which of course changes every 10-15 years. In other words, Congress doesn't lead. It wasn't designed to lead.

What we see right now is democracy working. It's malfunctioning, but that happens. It's messy, and until we get more media savvy it's going to be bad-messy.

I think the rain storm in LA put me over the edge. I just spent a bundle on my car, and now I'll have to spend even more on the damage to our house. Such is the way of rain in LA. Nothing happens for 3 years, then it comes all at once, then you're another year getting all the damage fixed. Merry frickin Christmas indeed.

I'm out of nice guy mode. We fight.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:13 am Congress is already worthless. Don't expect miracles from Congress. It doesn't initiate change any more, if it ever did. It ratifies whatever the working agreement is among the leading class, which of course changes every 10-15 years. In other words, Congress doesn't lead. It wasn't designed to lead.

What we see right now is democracy working. It's malfunctioning, but that happens. It's messy, and until we get more media savvy it's going to be bad-messy.

I think the rain storm in LA put me over the edge. I just spent a bundle on my car, and now I'll have to spend even more on the damage to our house. Such is the way of rain in LA. Nothing happens for 3 years, then it comes all at once, then you're another year getting all the damage fixed. Merry frickin Christmas indeed.

What water damage did you get? Remember homeowners insurance.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We have insurance. You have to in a place where it doesn't rain for 2 years, then it comes all at once and everything goes to shit.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:13 am Congress is already worthless. Don't expect miracles from Congress. It doesn't initiate change any more, if it ever did. It ratifies whatever the working agreement is among the leading class, which of course changes every 10-15 years. In other words, Congress doesn't lead. It wasn't designed to lead.

I read that as your roof started leaking.

:(

We have some snow now. And three trees in a bunch fell down. Most of the night it sounded like a river in flood stage, it was loud.

Maybe that's why they call them atmospheric rivers, because they sound like rivers. Rumbling all night long.

Our power will most likely go out in the next hour or two and not be restored for two or three days.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Actually the roof is fine, so far, but usually the leaks are small and don't show up until a month later when something on some wall or floor turns brown.

They don't build for weather in LA. Never have, and never will, apparently.

The rain gutters are hopeless. I'm losing patience. We'll have to spring for the good kind that keep leaves and pine needles from washing in and clogging everything up no matter how many times you clean them out.

Amazingly, the power stayed on here, which never happens. Of course, usually the strongest wind is after the rain, not during it. The generator is tested and ready.
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:25 am I read that as your roof started leaking.

:(

We have some snow now. And three trees in a bunch fell down. Most of the night it sounded like a river in flood stage, it was loud.

Maybe that's why they call them atmospheric rivers, because they sound like rivers. Rumbling all night long.

Our power will most likely go out in the next hour or two and not be restored for two or three days.
That’s always a bummer. Good luck.
gounion

Post by gounion »

I’m in the air, flying to Wichita for a reunion with some guys I worked with in the 80s. A toolmaker conclave.

But the forecast for Wichita is crazy. 40-50 MPH winds, with gusts over 70 tomorrow! No winds today, no winds Friday when I return.

Just a reminder, 70 MPH winds are hurricane force. Jeesh.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:41 pm I’m in the air, flying to Wichita for a reunion with some guys I worked with in the 80s. A toolmaker conclave.

But the forecast for Wichita is crazy. 40-50 MPH winds, with gusts over 70 tomorrow! No winds today, no winds Friday when I return.

Just a reminder, 70 MPH winds are hurricane force. Jeesh.
Where I live, we're starting to get the wind and rain Zowie has. The wind is gusty at 25 mph and higher. I was surprised we haven't have much rain yet. I drained our four rain barrels, to ease the flooding rain in our complex's courtyard and washing away of wood chips, on Sunday. I expected them to be full this morning but when I checked them they were only about 20% full so we haven't received much rain, yet. Usually, it takes no more than 1/4 inch of rain to fill one of our rain barrels. We're expecting about 1.3 inches of rain from this storm and according to The Weather Channel We should be getting the heavies rains any time now for the next three hours.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Radar up here shows the front on the way through, and now the wind is picking up. We're past the heaviest warm sector stuff, but Coronado is in the cross hairs, all right. It would be easier to see the weather if the Santa Ana weather radar hadn't picked yesterday to stop working. Murphy strikes again.

You guys have your own radar down there. It's showing that the front is pretty much right there.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Conspiracy Nut Case Alex Jones Is Accusing President Biden of "Using A Weather Weapon" To Create Lethal Kentucky Tornado.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/al ... ar-AARMAGr.
Last edited by marindem01 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:02 pm Radar up here shows the front on the way through, and now the wind is picking up. We're past the heaviest warm sector stuff, but Coronado is in the cross hairs, all right. It would be easier to see the weather if the Santa Ana weather radar hadn't picked yesterday to stop working. Murphy strikes again.

You guys have your own radar down there. It's showing that the front is pretty much right there.
The radar for here show’s the storm is passing with the heavy rain already over. We’ll probably be getting some very light rain over the next couple of hours. The storm isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Normally, I get the rain totals from measuring stations at North Island and from the San Diego airport which is next to the bay. There is no report from North Island or the airport but Point Loma, which is at the entrance to San Diego Bay, reported 1.10 inches of rain so more than likely that’s how much we got.

As I mentioned earlier, our rain barrels didn’t fill up this morning but now they’re overflowing causing minor flooding in some of the flower beds in our courtyard but nothing that would high or deep enough to cause flooding into our units. I had to go outside to bring in our green and three blue bins I put out yesterday in our alley since Tuesday is our scheduled pickup day. I got out my old AF Gortex BDU parka with hood and headed outside to return the bins to their normal spots. The three blue bins were in the alley blocking traffic. The alley from the street to the rear of our complex was flooded with about three inches of water so there was very little traffic. Two of the blue bins were toppled and had about a gallon of water in each of them which I drained before putting they away. I checked our security video recorder to see when they blew over and it was about an hour before I went outside. A strong gust of wind blew them over, the green one was about 29 feet away protected by the building and stayed in place. The video showed some of the neighbors, condos across the alley, blue bins getting toppled by the same gust of wind.

I’m glad the storm is nearly over and now all that’s left is to do some sweeping of the wood chips and and debris from the trees along the street. Last week, the city trimmed the palm trees along our street, which was scheduled last for last month, and had they not done that a lot of palm fronds would have hit cars parked on the street causing damage.

I know we need the rain but I hate it when we get a big storm. I’d prefer if we’d get a rain show every couple of days dropping about .10 inches of rain each time and have it do it at night. Of course, nature never listens to me but I can still wish for it.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

marindem01 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:31 pm Conspiracy Nut Case Alex Jones Is Accusing President Biden of "Using Weapon" To Create Lethal Kentucky Tornado.

Nothing is too over-the-top once you’ve convinced people that Trump is God like and everyone else is scum
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

marindem01 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:31 pm Conspiracy Nut Case Alex Jones Is Accusing President Biden of "Using A Weather Weapon" To Create Lethal Kentucky Tornado.

Biden has one of these. Just bigger.

"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

Folks, this is just plain not normal weather. The cons want to scream that there's nothing wrong, there's no climate change, but this is bad. I grew up in Kansas. Once November gets here, you are wearing some kind of coat until March. It was seventy degrees yesterday! Today there's 70 MPH wind gusts. Now, Kansas is windy, but not like this, not in the winter. The crazy weather is in the spring, and sometimes in September and October.

Yes, in the heartland, you CAN get tornadoes in the fall, but they're rarely monster tornadoes. That's reserved for the spring. And NEVER in December!

But the oil companies are telling them it's all bogus, so they believe it.

But our military knows better, and they're making plans for when shit falls apart globally.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So here's a fun fact. It looks like Kentucky may have gotten hit by an EF5.

https://www.fox19.com/2021/12/13/mayfie ... are-event/

If true (I recognize it's still being debated) ... it would be the 3rd EF5 to hit the U.S. in December, in its entire history (ok, I'll also grant records aren't very good in early 19th cent., but still).

Ya know, it's like they say: how many "once in a century" floods do you have before you start smelling something isn't right.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:34 pm So here's a fun fact. It looks like Kentucky may have gotten hit by an EF5.

https://www.fox19.com/2021/12/13/mayfie ... are-event/

If true (I recognize it's still being debated) ... it would be the 3rd EF5 to hit the U.S. in December, in its entire history (ok, I'll also grant records aren't very good in early 19th cent., but still).

Ya know, it's like they say: how many "once in a century" floods do you have before you start smelling something isn't right.
Yep. Look I grew up terrified and fascinated with tornadoes. I've also seen too damn many with my own eyes. And these monster tornadoes - especially one that travels 200 miles is ridiculously rare, and usually only happens in the spring, when the conditions are right.

Fall tornadoes are usually weak events. In Wichita back in the nineties, a tornado hit on September 5, 1993. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-j8i_CifeY

No deaths, and this tornado came down in Wichita's main east-west artery, Kellogg ave. It was a weak EF2 and didn't last long, it took out trees and damaged businesses. It' wasn't a mile-wide monster that would have killed hundreds if not more.

But our winters are getting warmer and warmer, punctuated with BIG cold snaps that are far colder than normal. Like what happened in Texas last year.

Our idiot conservatives say that these extreme cold snaps shows that there is no climate change (of course, they always use the term "global warming" - which isn't the correct term), when these extreme events are exactly what climate change models show will happen.