Elon Musk Income Taxes

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Elon Musk Income Taxes

Post by carmenjonze »

Through a Computer Screen Darkly: A Conversation with Meghan O’Gieblyn - LA Review of Books
NO BOOK THAT I’m aware of is quite like Meghan O’Gieblyn’s God, Human, Animal, Machine. Her omnivorous interests range over philosophy of mind, historical accounts of religious disenchantment, and the theological basis of transhumanist ideology, all in the service of analyzing how cultural metaphors for individuality have evolved over the centuries. Human beings have been described as both clocks and computers, and O’Gieblyn performs an examination of the perils in this thinking. Readers never lose sight of O’Gieblyn herself as a personality, even as she brings to bear subjects as diverse as quantum mechanics, Calvinism, and Dostoyevsky’s existentialism. Throughout the book, she is a brilliant interlocutor who presents complex theories, disciplines, arguments, and ideas with seeming ease.
ED SIMON: Much of God, Human, Animal, Machine deals with the contested historical hypothesis that modernity is a long account of disenchantment. How useful do you still find that concept to be? Is there a model to move beyond contemporary secularity? Is re-enchantment or neo-enchantment even possible? Would we want those things even if they were?

MEGHAN O’GIEBLYN: I’m interested in how disenchantment narratives function as modern mythology — a kind of origin story of how we came to occupy the present, or as an explanation (maybe even a theodicy) of what went wrong with modernity, which usually has something to do with the dominance of science and technology. We often think about the longing for re-enchantment as an eschewal of science and reason, which is to say a form of nostalgia or regression. What I end up exploring in the book, though, is how science and technology are often drawn into the project of re-enchantment. In the philosophy of mind, there’s been a lot of enthusiasm lately for panpsychism — the idea that all matter is conscious — which was for a long time on the fringe of consciousness studies. Or you could look to the rise of social AI, like Alexa or Siri, and the pervasiveness of smart technologies. The fact that we’re increasingly interacting socially with inanimate objects recalls an animist cosmology where ordinary tools are inhabited by spirits and humans maintain reciprocal relationships with them.

I think all of us are exhausted by anthropocentrism. It’s nice to envision a world where we aren’t the only conscious beings lording over a world of dead matter. And there’s a very simplistic critique of the disenchantment thesis that argues that science and technology are just as awe-inspiring as the spiritual doctrines they’ve displaced. Bruno Latour said something along these lines, in the early ’90s: “Is Boyle’s air pump any less strange than the Arapesh spirit houses?” But the trauma of disenchantment isn’t just the lack of magic or wonder in the world. What’s so destabilizing about disenchantment — and I say this as someone who experienced it very acutely in my own deconversion — is the fact that the world, without a religious framework, is devoid of intrinsic purpose and meaning. And that’s something that can’t (or rather shouldn’t) be addressed by technical and scientific disciplines.
Lots in here. O'Gieblyn went to Moody Bible Institute, one of the Harvards of American Fundamentalism, ironic as that sounds. I went to a friendly competitor out of high school but ended up studying American religion. I understand this analysis very well.

Lots of aspects of our society with a façade of so-called secularism are deeply infused with religion. O'Gieblyn may be on to something. This is why I make claims like, "religion is not the problem. Conservatism is the problem."

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

White conservatism is destroying this country.
_________

Kate Aronoff
@KateAronoff
not a cell phone in site. just the person of the year living in the moment

https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/ ... 6786159624

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:39 pm Lots of aspects of our society with a façade of so-called secularism are deeply infused with religion.
Yes, I know why you posted that here. There is a kind of almost religious attitude toward technology and its potential for salvation that Erik Davis calls "Techgnosis". Also, I'm not shocked that Elon Musk is interested in Transhumanism. People involved in its more kind of edgy variant Extropianism are sometimes explicitly identified or described in religious terms. Essentially, some Transhumanists and Extropians think it is almost a kind of religious duty to use technology to transcend the limitations of the human condition. Their religion is that humans should become gods and through technology we can do it.

Look ... for everybody freezing their brain in a jar, in the hope that in the future technology will be able to reconstruct their body, reattach it, and they will live again in the future (made fun of in a Futurama episode) ... that is a kind of "faith" also, isn't it?

BTW, I agree with you that the belief that technological inventors should be free to tinker and do as they wish, and everybody should just sit back and wait for them to ship the product ... is also a kind of faith. Very naive faith. Also, I have this great book Vinyl Leaves about the message that Disney's EPCOT sends. Every ride in Epcot in Orlando is sponsored by a corporation. The Spaceship Earth ride, the first one you see as you enter the park, is sponsored by AT & T and actually looks like their corporate logo, though the name comes from Buckminster Fuller. But what's the message of the ride? That people should simply sit back, let tech corporations build the future, and just enjoy what they bring us. Everything is getting better and better all the time, sit back and enjoy the ride.

I very much enjoy the fact that you are posting Timnit Gebru's contrary point of view on this - not Luddism, but the idea that we can't just let corporations dictate how technology should be developed, or utilized. The people need to have a say in how technology is made and used. Some might call that communism, some might see some isometry to the Open Source viewpoint on software development, some might say it's necessary to safeguard the human future. Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein definitely felt that way about nuclear energy/atomic power.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Elon Musk is Looking to Kickstart Transhuman Evolution With “Brain Hacking” Tech
Elon Musk is working to jump-start the next stage of human evolution.
https://futurism.com/elon-musk-is-looki ... cking-tech

Yep, Elon is planning out the next phase of human evolution. Just sit back, and enjoy the ride ... letting one eccentric plan the future of the human race, what could possibly go wrong? :roll:

A lot of people think he's just overhyping what "neural lace" technology could do. Probably. And again to be clear, DBI (direct brain implant) technology already exists and has medical applications. But no, Elon wants to do more than that, he wants to neurally integrate your brain with AI systems. So far Neuralink has only been tested on animals, but he wants to move on to humans.

It probably won't work, what I'm more worried about is all the possible ways that could go horribly wrong.

Also, BTW, interesting photo. I know why Elon & Jeffrey Epstein's worlds overlapped. This is a little discussed aspect of Epstein, besides him of course molesting young girls and financially scamming people.

Jeffrey Epstein reportedly wanted to 'seed the human race with his DNA' as part of his fascination with transhumanism. Here’s what that means.
https://www.businessinsider.com/jeffrey ... ans-2019-7

Convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein reportedly told scientists he wanted to "seed the human race" with his DNA by impregnating 20 women at a time at his New Mexico ranch, according to The New York Times.

The idea may be connected to Epstein's interest in transhumanism: the belief that the human brain and body can and should be artificially enhanced using modern science and technology.

[snip][end]

Oh yes, imagine how much the world would be improved if we all had Epstein's DNA in us ... :roll:
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:18 am Elon Musk faces a $15 billion tax bill, which is likely the real reason he’s selling stock

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/07/elon-mu ... stock.html

Elon Musk exercises options, sells another $930 million in Tesla stock

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon- ... 1637034597

How about that. The rich do pay taxes. And in the 50% range.
So this is the opening post. BBD, of course, doesn't mention that in previous years, Musk wasn't paying any income taxes. But we need to be thankful to him THIS year, by GOD!
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:22 pm So this is the opening post. BBD, of course, doesn't mention that in previous years, Musk wasn't paying any income taxes. But we need to be thankful to him THIS year, by GOD!
Where do you get the idea that in previous years he hasn’t paid any income taxes.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Arguing with people who wont loudly denounce trump and the entire GOP for committing insurrection and about to do it again...sigh
I sigh in your general direction.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

This warren v musk thing could be fun.

You’d think she would know he paid $455 million in income taxes on $1.52 billion in income from 2014 to 2018.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the- ... income-tax

You’d also think she’d know a wealth tax is unconstitutional, what , her being a senator and lawyer and all.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:11 pm This warren v musk thing could be fun.

You’d think she would know he paid $455 million in income taxes on $1.52 billion in income from 2014 to 2018.

You’d also think she’d know a wealth tax is unconstitutional, what , her being a senator and lawyer and all.
Pro-Publica articles I reference in this thread.

Educate yourself.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 pm Where do you get the idea that in previous years he hasn’t paid any income taxes.
https://www.apartheidmuseum.org/permanent-exhibition

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:11 pm This warren v musk thing could be fun.

pocahontas

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Via Propublica, Musk didn't pay any taxes in 2018, and between 2014 and 2018 he had an effective rate of about 3%.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

BTW, I guess it's possible the ABA doesn't know the law either, but ...

ABA Policy Report:
A Wealth Tax Is Constitutional
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/taxa ... itutional/
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:11 am BTW, I guess it's possible the ABA doesn't know the law either, but ...

ABA Policy Report:
Well. Was ABA a beta tester for LexisNexis in the 80s??

I think not!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:11 am BTW, I guess it's possible the ABA doesn't know the law either, but ...

ABA Policy Report:
It’s an opinion piece. I can easily find opposing views. Plus, no way the current court would buy it.

The 16th says it all:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

If you want a wealth tax you need an amendment.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:29 pm Pro-Publica articles I reference in this thread.

Educate yourself.
That’s just stupid. Unrealized gain is not income.

$455 million on $1.52 billion is an effective rate of 29%.

Plus all the stupid claims musk doesn’t pay taxes are lies. Same for Bezos and others.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:35 pm It’s an opinion piece. I can easily find opposing views. Plus, no way the current court would buy it.
Oh I understand. In weighting opinions, though, there's anonymous people who golf with lawyers, and then there's the ABA. I know who I weight.

I remember somebody else who was an excellent Oracle at knowing what the SCOTUS would do before they did it. This strange odor of familiarity.

But I digress.

BTW, for another interesting perspective on this issue, I recommend:
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019 ... titutional

In particular, there, the views of Prof. Ackerman at Yale Law School. Now, I don't know if he's golfing with all the right lawyers, but ...
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:41 pm Oh I understand. In weighting opinions, though, there's anonymous people who golf with lawyers, and then there's the ABA. I know who I weight.

I remember somebody else who was an excellent Oracle at knowing what the SCOTUS would do before they did it. This strange odor of familiarity.

But I digress.

BTW, for another interesting perspective on this issue, I recommend:
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019 ... titutional

In particular, there, the views of Prof. Ackerman at Yale Law School. Now, I don't know if he's golfing with all the right lawyers, but ...
From the ABA

“An Unapportioned Wealth Tax Has Constitutional Problems”

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/taxa ... ealth-tax/
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:35 pm It’s an opinion piece. I can easily find opposing views. Plus, no way the current court would buy it.

The 16th says it all:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

If you want a wealth tax you need an amendment.
terrorist fist jab?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:59 pm From the ABA

make apartheid great again

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:40 pm That’s just stupid. Unrealized gain is not income.

$455 million on $1.52 billion is an effective rate of 29%.

Plus all the stupid claims musk doesn’t pay taxes are lies. Same for Bezos and others.
it's ok to be white

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:59 pm From the ABA

Good. You now found the counterpoint to my point. BTW, we call this with the people I golf with, citing sources.

So to go back to your original statement, what I think Prof. Warren should know is that whether or not a wealth tax is unconstitutional is a subject of debate even among Ivy League legal/constitutional scholars ... and has not yet been resolved by SCOTUS, assuming it goes there.

Of course, in your usual style, why do I feel the need to bring up the subject of emoluments here, you put forth the position you hold as somehow axiomatic and unopposed by anyone in the legal field?

If everything in law was self-evident, we wouldn't need justices and courts to sort it all out. "It's complicated".

I understand Prof. Jensen's view, but Prof. Ackerman is not wrong that some definite precedent is on his side, too.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:55 pm Good. You now found the counterpoint to my point. BTW, we call this with the people I golf with, citing sources.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

ABA Policy Report:
One thing is for sure it would be much easier to legitimately find a reason to call it constitutional far more than to reverse Roe v. Wade.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019 ... x-the-rich

Instead of just straight up taxing people's wealth, Batchelder says, the government could instead be more aggressive in taxing the gains from wealth. What she proposes is known as an accrual tax.
Obviously all sane and decent people want to tax the rich more than they already are because of how insanely unbalanced everything is so we need to find a way to do it.
I sigh in your general direction.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:55 pm Good. You now found the counterpoint to my point. BTW, we call this with the people I golf with, citing sources.

So to go back to your original statement, what I think Prof. Warren should know is that whether or not a wealth tax is unconstitutional is a subject of debate even among Ivy League legal/constitutional scholars ... and has not yet been resolved by SCOTUS, assuming it goes there.

Of course, in your usual style, why do I feel the need to bring up the subject of emoluments here, you put forth the position you hold as somehow axiomatic and unopposed by anyone in the legal field?

If everything in law was self-evident, we wouldn't need justices and courts to sort it all out. "It's complicated".

I understand Prof. Jensen's view, but Prof. Ackerman is not wrong that some definite precedent is on his side, too.
It’s unconstitutional by way of Supreme Court precedent.

Emoluments?