The Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

News and events of the day
Libertas

Re: The Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:20 pm CNN is reporting they're worried about another major outbreak in January.

Of course, here's how the conservatives will react: Well, this variant isn't as deadly, even though it's more contagious, so, we should...

...do nothing.

Just as they've wanted to do from the beginning.

Here's the problem: Making sure the virus keeps spreading means that new variants can spring up. The next variant could be 10 times as deadly, and can be completely resistant to the current vaccine.

Then they'd say "who could have foreseen that?"

EVERYONE could have foreseen that!

Life in conservative dystopia.
At the end of the day cons are just killers.
I sigh in your general direction.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

NFL changes postseason roster rule as COVID-19 cases increase around league

The NFL wants to make sure teams are not shorthanded in the postseason due to COVID-19. The league altered a playoff rule Wednesday to allow unlimited promotions from the practice squad during the 2021 NFL playoffs, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

The previous rule allowed practice squad players to be elevated to the 53-man roster twice a year. Once a team elevated a player from a practice squad a third time, the team had to terminate the player's practice squad contract and give him an NFL player contract. If the team wanted to send that player back down to the practice squad, that player had to pass through waivers, exposing him to the rest of the NFL.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-changes-po ... 08261.html
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Today marked the first day California's indoor mask mandate went back into effect until January 15th. I went to Costco early this afternoon and everyone, and I mean everyone, was wearing a mask. The local new talked about the mask mandate and our city's mayor, Richard Bailey who is running for Congress against Democrat Scott Peters, said he's directed the city not to enforce indoor mask mandate. Typical republican, instead of encouraging people to help reduce the spread of COVID and it's variants he's encouraging people to help spread it.

BTW, when he ran for mayor five years ago and his having lived here for less than two years I told people that he was going to run for Congress at some point. He's a member of the County republican Central Committee I think he's positioned himself to eliminate other republicans from running.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Former Biden COVID-19 adviser: 'Viral blizzard' about to hit the US

A former COVID-19 adviser for President Biden's transition on Thursday warned of a “viral blizzard” that is about to hit the U.S. as COVID-19 cases rise and concerns about the omicron variant continue to fester.

Michael Osterholm, who served on Biden’s coronavirus advisory team during the transition, said in an appearance on CNN that the health care system could be overwhelmed as omicron becomes more prevalent in the U.S.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... hit-the-us
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

State requires schools that want bond deals to comply with COVID ruling
A Missouri official is requiring school districts that want state bond deals to comply with a court ruling last month stripping local health authorities' discretionary powers to combat diseases like COVID-19.

Treasurer Scott Fizpatrick said districts that want to participate in the bond direct deposit program, designed to provide them lower interest rates, must certify that they're in compliance with the ruling from Cole County Circuit Judge Daniel Green, who invalidated state regulations allowing the state or local health directors to make orders affecting schools, businesses, other organizations and individuals, according to a report from the Missouri Independent, a nonprofit news outlet.

Since the ruling, Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt has demanded districts drop mask mandates and quarantine orders. He has also urged parents to report districts that were still enforcing them. Some districts have pushed back, saying Schmitt's demands have "no legal authority."..........
ap215

Post by ap215 »

How will the world decide when the COVID pandemic is over?

ATLANTA -- How will the world decide when the pandemic is over?

There's no clear-cut definition for when a pandemic starts and ends, and how much of a threat a global outbreak is posing can vary by country.

https://abc7ny.com/will-pandemic-end-co ... ce=twitter
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Washington State RePug and Anti-Vaxer Dies From....COVID.

https://komonews.com/news/local/washing ... dies-at-52.

He got what he deserved. No mercy for the Anti-Vaxer/Anti-Masker/COVID-IDIOTS.

Better they die now and decrease the surplus population (apologies to Charles Dickens).
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

marindem01 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:52 pm Washington State RePug and Anti-Vaxer Dies From....COVID.

https://komonews.com/news/local/washing ... dies-at-52.

He got what he deserved. No mercy for the Anti-Vaxer/Anti-Masker/COVID-IDIOTS.

Better they die now and decrease the surplus population (apologies to Charles Dickens).
He probably thought all the time he took his anti-vaccine and anti-mandate stances he was" owning the libs." Now that can be engraved on his tombstone.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

And there are a lot of points in time the past 5 yrs when people could have accepted just how bad this was gonna get and took action based on that.

It might be too late now especially given how many cons (like the ones on this board) who will support the fascist takeover, but if it is NOT too late then lets hope the American people and the DOJ and the media really REALLY Understand where we are now and just how BAD it is.
I sigh in your general direction.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

SNL removes live audience, loses musical guest for Saturday as omicron spreads

"Saturday Night Live" (SNL) announced that it is removing its live audience and limiting cast and crew for Saturday's episode amid the spread of the omicron variant.

“Due to the recent spike in the Omicron variant and out of an abundance of caution, there will be no live audience for tonight’s taping of 'Saturday Night Live' and the show will have limited cast and crew,” SNL said in a tweet.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... d-crew-for
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Omicron found in 89 countries, WHO says

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Saturday that the omicron variant has been detected in 89 countries, including South Africa, where it was first detected last month, The Associated Press reported.

In areas that are seeing community transmission, cases are doubling every 1 ½ to three days.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... s-who-says
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Biden to give omicron-focused speech on Tuesday

President Biden is slated to make an omicron-focused speech next week as the variant continues to circulate in the U.S. and elsewhere, the White House announced on Saturday.

"On Tuesday, the President will deliver remarks on the status of the country's fight against COVID-19, as the country sees rising cases amid the growing Omicron variant," White House press secretary Jen Psaki tweeted on Saturday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ay-reports
ap215

Post by ap215 »

CNN closes U.S. offices to most workers as COVID-19 cases spike - memo

Dec 18 (Reuters) - CNN is closing its offices in the United States to all nonessential employees as COVID-19 cases increase, the network said on Saturday in an internal memo to staff seen by Reuters.

CNN, part of AT&T Inc's WarnerMedia division, will close its offices to all employees who do not have work in the office, the memo said.

https://www.aol.com/entertainment/1-cnn ... 01845.html
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ap215 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:10 am Biden to give omicron-focused speech on Tuesday

President Biden is slated to make an omicron-focused speech next week as the variant continues to circulate in the U.S. and elsewhere, the White House announced on Saturday.

"On Tuesday, the President will deliver remarks on the status of the country's fight against COVID-19, as the country sees rising cases amid the growing Omicron variant," White House press secretary Jen Psaki tweeted on Saturday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ay-reports
The reality is that a major mobilization of resources will be needed by mid-January, and that all the solutions are expensive and partial at best. All signs point to the fifth major wave of what was supposed to be a three wave pandemic.

Given that so far covid has proven impossible to prevent, and that large segments of the population refuse to take even the most basic precautions, all I can think is that the National Guard had best be on standby, and we may have to start setting up field hospitals again.

Biden's problem right now is largely about retaining any credibility at all. I think if he does what he can to create a sense of urgency, and then backs it up with real measures such as mass distribution of tests and Omicron specific vaccine, he can retain legitimacy and save his presidency. Otherwise, get ready for the Republicans to absolutely devour Congress this November.

In general, we'd do a lot better were we to consider covid to be an emergency as serious as any war we've ever been in, and then to essentially declare war on it. Americans relate to war rhetoric better than to statistics and medical jargon. Americans, by and large, like war, even when they say they don't. It is one of the few things that has ever created a sense of purpose in all parts of a culture that is otherwise designed to be antithetical to same.

"There's a war on, you know." That's the kind of urgency that offers even a minimal hope of coping with covid in 2022.
Last edited by ZoWie on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Drak

Post by Drak »

It's not Biden's fault the GOP is spreading constant disinformation about covid. The Dems need to pummel this messaging. There's ample evidence.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

You raise a very salient and valid point.

Now how do we fight disinfo? So far, we've failed miserably. Do we make it subversive? Do we seize the means of communication? Do we spend money and hire experts to beat the Internet at its own game?

These are real questions that I have. I don't have the answers, short of a de facto state of war, with wartime measures up to and including public condemnation of disinfo spreaders, or even silencing their public personae. I am open to any suggestions that might seem effective.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Drak

Post by Drak »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:13 pm You raise a very salient and valid point.

Now how do we fight disinfo? So far, we've failed miserably. Do we make it subversive? Do we seize the means of communication? Do we spend money and hire experts to beat the Internet at its own game?

These are real questions that I have. I don't have the answers, short of a de facto state of war, with wartime measures up to and including censorship. I am open to any suggestions that might seem effective.
Money seems to be a problem. Otherwise they could be pummeling the airwaves easily proving that the GOP is pushing purposeful disinformation. But the Dems don't have the capital or the networks to do so. While the GOP has 3 network channels in Fox, Newsmax and OAN and most of the media under their belt, as well as huge corporate backing.

Drak

Post by Drak »

I mean, this is just a small example, or Sarah Palin telling an audience this morning that she'll take the vaccine over her dead body, when a few months ago she stated people needed to take the virus seriously and she's probably already vaccinated.

ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The military has the money, and Biden is still its commander in chief. Just saying.

Palin isn't taken seriously any more, but plenty of Internet influencers are. If they can convince a visible number of people that the Kennedys are returning from the dead to install drumpf as the second coming of Jesus, anything is possible.

Obviously covid requires thinking way, way outside the box, and I don't have any good answers any more than anyone else does. Absent higher compliance with public health measures, nothing works. I can't give you a solution, so I'm throwing out what are granted to be provocative ideas in hope that someone can think of something that would work without losing America. Seems as if temporary wartime measures might be something that everyday Americans would understand, since in my past experience they seem to relate to war better than other concepts.

But I don't have the answer either.

A media blitz is a part of any war, and a wartime media blitz would be nice right now. I'm sick of all the US vs THEM rah-rah crap that takes over the media every time we place large troop contingents into harms way, but I also know that it's been the only thing that gets the media into line with government policy. Also, I don't support censoring the Internet or even know how that would be possible, since the net treats censorship as another routing failure to be compensated for. Therefore the key seems to be a better attempt to change public opinion.

Tell you one thing. As long as everyone is treating this holiday as just another one where everyone gets together, it will by nature get a lot worse first. Better be ready for a very bad winter.
Drak

Post by Drak »

You're right. This is a war. Time to enact war time measures.

ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Also, I watched that airline hearing. The two CEOs did say that masks were not required on planes, but the head of the fight attendants' association said that not all aircraft have HEPA filters and masking is still a good idea when passengers aren't eating, and any time they're out of their seats. I still tend to believe unions which want to keep members healthy more than CEOs who only want to sell more tickets.

I personally won't fly unless masks are required on planes.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So two things I can say:

1. The Internet is a big amorphous net of things all over the planet. You can't regulate "the Internet" and it's not possible. That said, until Mark declares that Metabook or whatever he's gonna call it is now headquartered in Tanzania, it's an American company, subject to American regulations.

1a. Mark has been doing a somewhat decent effort of removing medical disinformation from the platform, he took down everybody sharing "Plandemic" publicly for example, but then there are at this moment hundreds of "private groups" privately sharing with their members as much bullshit as they can handle. And then some, especially if they want more.

2. Should Facebook be regulated? a) Yesterday and b) this seems to be a weird area where I and conservatives agree: it needs to be more regulated. Of course, they seem to believe Mark discriminates against conservatives, which I think is a load of bullshit. What is not is that, as I've said, Mark allows a lot of things to flourish there - Holocaust denial, hate speech, election denialism, etc. - and is only BARELY tackling the problem of medical disinformation, the only one he really took any weak effort against. But he could really start on doing a better job on the latter, and maybe, just maybe, as I recall he even said he's be "open" to Congress shoving him a little harder into doing it. So maybe they should.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Senator Elizabeth Warren has tested positive for COVID-19. Fortunately, her symptoms are mild.
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., announced Sunday that she has tested positive for COVID-19.

Warren, who said she is vaccinated against the virus, shared that she tested positive for a "breakthrough case" on Sunday after testing negative earlier in the week as she is subjected to regular testing.

"Thankfully, I am only experiencing mild symptoms and am grateful for the protection provided against serious illness that comes from being vaccinated and boosted," she said.
UPI
Get well soon Senator Warren.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ProfX wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:12 pm 2. Should Facebook be regulated? a) Yesterday and b) this seems to be a weird area where I and conservatives agree: it needs to be more regulated. Of course, they seem to believe Mark discriminates against conservatives, which I think is a load of bullshit. What is not is that, as I've said, Mark allows a lot of things to flourish there - Holocaust denial, hate speech, election denialism, etc. - and is only BARELY tackling the problem of medical disinformation, the only one he really took any weak effort against. But he could really start on doing a better job on the latter, and maybe, just maybe, as I recall he even said he's be "open" to Congress shoving him a little harder into doing it. So maybe they should.
1. Facebook is a truly reprehensible institution by and for one guy who only seeks to amass an ever larger personal fortune. The biggest problem for sites owned by whatever Zuckerberg is calling his company this year is their exploitation of the insecurities faced by teenage girls. The meta empire has been busted on this, big time, by Congress, to the point where legislation to rein in the more egregious practices is one of the few things that House Republicans and Democrats agree on.

2. Medical disinfo/misinfo is a clear and present danger to the public health. Free speech only goes so far. The intent to deceive, when present, is unlawful. Most of the time, it's just people in denial repeating any crap that supports or plays into their distrust of doctors and medical practice in general. A lot of Blacks are conscious of past racist atrocities, and of course we have a lot of cultural and economic baggage here that occupies the area where race and class overlap.

-------

We'll never stop people from repeating crap that they may even actually believe is valid information. Vaccines causing autism has been debunked, but ideas like that die hard. What we can do is fight them with all means at our disposal, including legal proceedings where applicable. In a war, which this is, information becomes every bit as much a weapon as things that go bang. We should be a lot more aware of the process by which bad information spreads, to the point of fighting it as an integral part of the fight against the virus itself. It's really kind of the same thing, only on a psychological rather than cellular level. Bad information is a memetic virus.

We need to inoculate more of the public against the sheer nonsense out there, and we also need to move against media outlets that spread it as a means of increasing their revenue, with none of the usual fact checking, telling both sides, or other such responsible practices. This kind of thing used to be in the fairness doctrine, to give one example, but this and other such regulations and/or strong suggestions went away in the ronnie ray gun era.

There needs to be a comprehensive and compelling information warfare program of the sort that was so effective in building public support for military actions in the Middle East. As much as I despised that, and still do, I have to admit that it works. If it takes a war to get americans to act in the public interest, then war it is. Turn on the noise machine, for once for the right reasons. Make it patriotic to mask up, get shots if safe, and avoid superspreaders. It needs to become something that Americans do for their country and their future. Hence my likening it to the kind of organized government rah-rah that happens in war time.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Dan Crenshaw Tells Americans Not To Comply With Court Mandate Ruling

On Friday, a federal appeals court reinstated the Biden administration’s vaccine and testing requirement for private businesses, which affects about 80 million American workers.

CNBC reports, "The ruling by the 6th U.S. Court of Appeals in Cincinnati lifted a November injunction that had blocked the rule from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which applies to businesses with at least 100 workers."

https://crooksandliars.com/2021/12/dan- ... not-comply