Labor/Economics

News and events of the day
Libertas

Re: Labor/Economics

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:28 pm I love the personal stories, but the societal question is whose children are doing most of this child labor?

Hundreds of migrant children work long hours in jobs that violate child labor laws
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/05/11611923 ... d-labor-la

Hundreds of migrant children are working long hours under grueling conditions in the U.S. Most of them come into the country alone in need of ways to support themselves and their families back home. But overnight shifts and dangerous work violate long-standing child labor laws. Brandeis professor David Weil has worked as a senior official in the U.S. Labor Department under then-President Obama. He joins me now. Welcome to the program.

[snip]

RASCOE: Reuters and the New York Times have recently published investigations about how children as young as 13 are working full-time jobs, like in factories and at construction sites, which is against the law. Has this practice grown in the past several years? Because it just - it feels so shocking to even state that.

WEIL: It really is shocking, and it has really exploded in the last few years. There's always been problems of child labor in different sectors, but we haven't seen such widespread numbers of children working in meatpacking and in auto manufacturing and food production since really the 1930s.

[snip]

RASCOE: Some 130,000 unaccompanied minors came into the U.S. last year. The media investigation suggests that the federal government is giving at least some of these children to sponsors who then end up sending the kids to work instead of sending them to school, and that those sponsors then take the children's wages. Like, why is this happening?

[snip][end]

At 16, I was flipping burgers at a fast food joint I think is now defunct called Rudy's Burgers. I used my hands, after all I had to butter the buns, take out the fries, make the shakes, and assemble the burgers.

But anyhoo, the problem is larger than our personal experiences - increasingly it's unaccompanied minors being put into very dangerous work, and being exploited, because the employers can. As a progressive, I don't think we should be regressing to the 30s.
But I want my son to be able to get a paper route at age 13 like I did. What is the big deal? You libs, always whining about something.

This is what the assholes say KNOWING god damn well what the real issue is.

Your research is amazing. Your students are lucky to have you.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Been an interesting week. Monday our university had a conference on global democracy, Tuesday a workshop on student free speech rights, yesterday a seminar on environmental justice, today I attended a presentation on George Orwell. The Humanities prof discussed how Orwell was cited by the judge who blocked the "Stop Woke" law in Florida.

I love my job. :mrgreen:
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:36 pm Been an interesting week. Monday our university had a conference on global democracy, Tuesday a workshop on student free speech rights, yesterday a seminar on environmental justice, today I attended a presentation on George Orwell. The Humanities prof discussed how Orwell was cited by the judge who blocked the "Stop Woke" law in Florida.

I love my job. :mrgreen:
Wow.

Btw are you familiar with

https://www.instagram.com/vonnegut_library/?hl=en

or

https://www.vonnegutlibrary.org/

I have not been. I am a big fan.
bradman

Post by bradman »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:32 am Arkansas Gov. Sanders signs measure rolling back child labor protections
The bill eliminates a requirement that the state verify the age of children under 16 before companies can hire them.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna73977

Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed a measure this week loosening child labor protections in the state.

Under the law, the Youth Hiring Act of 2023, children under 16 do not have to obtain permission from the Division of Labor to get a job. They will no longer need to get an employment certificate, which verified their age, described their work and work schedule, and included written consent from a parent or guardian. Sanders signed the bill into law on Tuesday.

[snip]

Last month, the Labor Department announced it had found more than 3,800 children working at U.S. companies in violation of federal law. More than 100 children, some as young as 13, were working hazardous overnight jobs cleaning slaughterhouses for Packers Sanitation Services Inc., one of the country's largest food sanitation companies, the Labor Department said. Some of them used "caustic chemicals to clean razor-sharp saws," the department said. Ten of the violations occurred in Arkansas.

[snip]

Other states are also considering legislation to unravel child labor protections. One bill advancing in the Iowa legislature would allow 14-year-olds to perform some work in freezers and meat coolers and would allow children under 16 to work up to six hours a day while school is in session. It would also exempt businesses from civil liability if a student in a work-based study program is sickened, injured or killed because of the company’s negligence. The Minnesota bill would let 16- and 17-year-olds work construction jobs.

[snip][end]

Republicans ... all about protecting children, except from exploitation by various industries, I guess.
This is the Mn. bill.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.p ... nstruction
A bill for an act
relating to youth employment; modifying requirements for 16- and 17-year-olds
working in or about a constructionNext or building project; authorizing rulemaking.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:

Section 1. TITLE.
This act shall be known as the "Paid Youth Trades Employment Opportunity Act."
Sec. 2. 16- AND 17-YEAR-OLDS PERMITTED TO WORK IN OR ABOUT
PreviousCONSTRUCTIONNext OR BUILDING PROJECTS.
(a) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, 16- and 17-year-olds may lawfully work
in or about a PreviousconstructionNext or building project.
(b) The commissioner of labor and industry must amend Minnesota Rules, part 5200.0910,
to remove the prohibition of employment of 16- and 17-year-olds in or about a PreviousconstructionNext
or building project under Minnesota Rules, part 5200.0910, item F. The commissioner must
also amend Minnesota Rules, part 5200.0920, to clarify that employment of individuals
under age 16 in or about PreviousconstructionNext sites remains prohibited. The commissioner may use
the good cause exemption under Minnesota Statutes, section 14.388, subdivision 1, to amend
Minnesota Rules, parts 5200.0910 and 5200.0920.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect any existing law or rule regarding
work by 16- and 17-year-olds other than the general prohibition under Minnesota Rules,
part 5200.0910, item F. These existing rules include but are not limited to the remainder of
Minnesota Rules, part 5200.0910, and the Code of Federal Regulations, title 29, sections
570.50 to 570.68.
(d) Any 16- or 17-year-old must, at a minimum, satisfactorily complete OSHA 10 training
before beginning employment in or about a Previousconstruction or building project.
It allows 16-17 year kids to apply for a construction job but are required to first finish osha safety courses.

Here's a Ramsey County (which i live in.) program...
https://www.ramseycounty.us/YoungAdultEmploymentProgram
Young Adult Employment Program
The young adult program provides employment and training opportunities to low-income and/or at-risk young adults. Services provided by vendors include career planning, job search assistance, paid work experience and assistance with tuition costs.

Eligibility
The young adult program is open to individuals who:

Are 14-24 years old.
Live in Ramsey County.
Have a challenge to overcome to complete their education and/or obtain employment.
Services
Explore your future career opportunities.
Learn about potential employment trainings.
Experience work in a setting of your choice while getting paid.
Job search help (resumes, interviews, networking, etc.).
Earn your High School Diploma or GED.
Attend free workshops.
Plan out your educational pathway.
High risk kids that are struggling. Probably like me and not doing well in school.

And then from the U.S. department of labor....

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/youth/wioa-formula
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) of 2014 enacted a comprehensive youth employment program for serving eligible youth, ages 14-24, who face barriers to education, training, and employment.

Funds for youth services are allocated to states and local areas based on a formula. The WIOA Youth Program focuses primarily on out-of-school youth, requiring local areas to expend a minimum of 75% of WIOA youth funds on them. The program includes 14 program elements that are required to be made available to youth participants. WIOA prioritizes work experience through a 20% minimum expenditure rate for the work experience program element.

Local programs provide youth services in partnership with American Job Centers and under the direction of local Workforce Development Boards.

Find your nearest American Job Center
WIOA Youth Program Fact Sheet
Join the Youth Connections Community of Practice to learn more and sign up for the Youth Resource Connections Newsletter
Questions or comments should be sent to youth.services@dol.gov

WIOA Youth Program Guidance
It's the basically the same conversation as before. Votech, on the job training, or something like it would suit some better. Proper training can start as early as junior high. Add even more training through work programs in high school, to now what would be osha training in Mn., and i really don't see a problem. As long as their are rules.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Well, I'm quite familiar with Kurt Vonnegut's work (and views), though I have never been to that museum.

True story: it was a long time ago, but my Pop, brothers and I, ran into Kurt Vonnegut near the UN in NYC. We took a photo of him. This was long before the digital photo era. But anyway, Pop threw away that picture because he didn't recognize the person we took the photo with (and there was no digital original) ... ah well, in all seriousness, his senility got worse in later years, but ... sheesh.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:54 pm Well, I'm quite familiar with Kurt Vonnegut's work (and views), though I have never been to that museum.

True story: it was a long time ago, but my Pop, brothers and I, ran into Kurt Vonnegut near the UN in NYC. We took a photo of him. This was long before the digital photo era. But anyway, Pop threw away that picture because he didn't recognize the person we took the photo with (and there was no digital original) ... ah well, in all seriousness, his senility got worse in later years, but ... sheesh.
Cool story

I just came across this, sounds sad and I didnt know about this part of Kurt.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/ ... -biography
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

bradman wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:53 pm As long as there are rules.
That is the rub, isn't it? Nowhere have I said I have any problem with any vocational training programs or youth internships, including in construction, or with kids doing yard work, paper routes, or lifeguarding for the summer.

I do have a problem with employers putting young children into hazardous work like slaughterhouses without proper safety or other training. I do have a problem with them using unaccompanied migrant kids who are vulnerable to exploitation.

Minnesota's bill is fine.

I posted about the Sanders AK bill because it removes the requirement for permitting young people to work in those jobs. And that's my problem, it's during permitting you can find out and determine if rules and regulations are being followed.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

A lot of good artists and authors were very flawed people.

Just the other day I was discussing Dr. Seuss with a colleague ... another complicated man. As we've posted here, Seuss exposed the "America First" movement of this country (in the 30s) for what it was. And of course there are great environmental themes in the Lorax.

But, he also did extremely racist cartoons of Japanese people, and cartoons that showed all kinds of stereotypes of African people, ...

Like I say, "people are complicated," and artists and authors are people, too.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:06 pm A lot of good artists and authors were very flawed people.

Just the other day I was discussing Dr. Seuss with a colleague ... another complicated man. As we've posted here, Seuss exposed the "America First" movement of this country (in the 30s) for what it was. And of course there are great environmental themes in the Lorax.

But, he also did extremely racist cartoons of Japanese people, and cartoons that showed all kinds of stereotypes of African people, ...

Like I say, "people are complicated," and artists and authors are people, too.
Yeah, and given what Kurt went thru, you can excuse or explain a lot of it I suppose.

The Seuss thing, you want to believe were they alive today they would be "woke" which wasnt really possible back then, or not easy anyway.
bradman

Post by bradman »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:02 pm That is the rub, isn't it? Nowhere have I said I have any problem with any vocational training programs or youth internships, including in construction, or with kids doing yard work, paper routes, or lifeguarding for the summer.

I do have a problem with employers putting young children into hazardous work like slaughterhouses without proper safety or other training. I do have a problem with them using unaccompanied migrant kids who are vulnerable to exploitation.

Minnesota's bill is fine.

I posted about the Sanders AK bill because it removes the requirement for permitting young people to work in those jobs. And that's my problem, it's during permitting you can find out and determine if rules and regulations are being followed.
Agreed. From your article.....
Alexa Henning, Sanders' communication director, said that the permit requirement had placed an "arbitrary burden on parents" who needed government permission for their child to get a job.
Sorry Alexa, i don't see the burden. Your kid wants to work at the age of14? Fill out a couple forms, add a couple signatures and you're on your way.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
bradman

Post by bradman »

Better yet 8-) ......

https://local49.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... -FAQ-1.pdf
Operating Engineers Pathway
• The Operating Engineers Pathway program offers high school students online courses to prepare for a
career as a heavy equipment operator. The program also provides hands-on learning opportunities.
• The courses are offered through Minnesota Virtual Academy’s digital platform and are available to any
high school student in grades 9-12 enrolled in a Minnesota public school.
• Classes are eligible for high school credit, college credit with North Hennepin Community College and
apprenticeship credit with the International Union of Operating Engineers’ apprenticeship program.
Go Union. :D
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:32 am Arkansas Gov. Sanders signs measure rolling back child labor protections
The bill eliminates a requirement that the state verify the age of children under 16 before companies can hire them.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna73977

Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed a measure this week loosening child labor protections in the state.

Under the law, the Youth Hiring Act of 2023, children under 16 do not have to obtain permission from the Division of Labor to get a job. They will no longer need to get an employment certificate, which verified their age, described their work and work schedule, and included written consent from a parent or guardian. Sanders signed the bill into law on Tuesday.

[snip]

Last month, the Labor Department announced it had found more than 3,800 children working at U.S. companies in violation of federal law. More than 100 children, some as young as 13, were working hazardous overnight jobs cleaning slaughterhouses for Packers Sanitation Services Inc., one of the country's largest food sanitation companies, the Labor Department said. Some of them used "caustic chemicals to clean razor-sharp saws," the department said. Ten of the violations occurred in Arkansas.

[snip]

Other states are also considering legislation to unravel child labor protections. One bill advancing in the Iowa legislature would allow 14-year-olds to perform some work in freezers and meat coolers and would allow children under 16 to work up to six hours a day while school is in session. It would also exempt businesses from civil liability if a student in a work-based study program is sickened, injured or killed because of the company’s negligence. The Minnesota bill would let 16- and 17-year-olds work construction jobs.

[snip][end]

Republicans ... all about protecting children, except from exploitation by various industries, I guess.
They seem to be at war with workers and families and vulnerable people.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Cons hate children, they hate everybody.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

bradman wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:17 pm Sorry Alexa, i don't see the burden. Your kid wants to work at the age of14? Fill out a couple forms, add a couple signatures and you're on your way.
I find it kind of fascinating they insist parents be told about anything the child is interested in. Talks to a school counselor about gender identity, wants to take out a 'forbidden' book by Toni Morrison, heck needs to go on a field trip ... gets parental consent.

But ... if they want to take a job in a slaughterhouse or operating dangerous equipment ... no parents don't need to be told, that is a "burden". :roll:
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:31 pm I find it kind of fascinating they insist parents be told about anything the child is interested in. Talks to a school counselor about gender identity, wants to take out a 'forbidden' book by Toni Morrison, heck needs to go on a field trip ... gets parental consent.

But ... if they want to take a job in a slaughterhouse or operating dangerous equipment ... no parents don't need to be told, that is a "burden". :roll:
You make a good point. So the law should stay in place and parents should be informed about things that affect their children. Maybe we can agree on this. No one should pass laws that circumvent parental knowledge or consent when it comes to their children.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:35 am You make a good point. So the law should stay in place and parents should be informed about things that affect their children. Maybe we can agree on this. No one should pass laws that circumvent parental knowledge or consent when it comes to their children.
I know that the right believes that parents should be the owners of their children, and the children should have no rights whatsoever, but children ARE human beings. They are not to be owned.

For instance, I'm not interested in giving parents the right to put their gay children through conversion therapy. Children should have human rights too.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Economy adds 311K jobs in February, unemployment rises to 3.6 percent

The U.S. economy added 311,000 jobs in February and the unemployment rate rose to 3.6 percent, according to data released Friday by the Labor Department.

Economists had been expecting around 225,000 jobs to be added in February and for the unemployment rate to remain at 3.4 percent. Despite the strong headline jobs gain, the report showed signs labor market may finally be buckling under the pressure of eight consecutive interest rate hikes by the Federal Reserve.

https://thehill.com/business/economy/38 ... mployment/
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:35 am You make a good point. So the law should stay in place and parents should be informed about things that affect their children. Maybe we can agree on this. No one should pass laws that circumvent parental knowledge or consent when it comes to their children.
[bold]Shall we mandate it?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:56 am [bold]Shall we mandate it?
We really shouldn’t have to should we?
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 am We really shouldn’t have to should we?
Consider it an attempted ribbing. i know how much you love government mandates.

Like it or not the present attempt to ban some books is a mandated assault on a minorities liberties.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:26 am Consider it an attempted ribbing. i know how much you love government mandates.

Like it or not the present attempt to ban some books is a mandated assault on a minorities liberties.
I’m not exactly sure what books and what districts to which you refer. I am aware of what has been reported but after digging into some of the details, I am not sure I would agree in all cases.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:35 am I’m not exactly sure what books and what districts to which you refer. I am aware of what has been reported but after digging into some of the details, I am not sure I would agree in all cases.
Come on man. The overhyped anti-woke messaging is a mandate.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:35 am I’m not exactly sure what books and what districts to which you refer. I am aware of what has been reported but after digging into some of the details, I am not sure I would agree in all cases.
Ah yes, arguing from ignorance again. It's all happening in your state, by your Governor that you'll happily vote for President, but you just don't know what's going on, do you?

That's because you can't defend what you support.

And children are people, not chattel. They are also citizens, and have rights under the Constitution.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:47 am Come on man. The overhyped anti-woke messaging is a mandate.
He knows what's going on. He just don't know how to defend it, even though he supports it. So he claims ignorance. He's done that forever.
gounion

Post by gounion »

What's funny about people like Joe and Glenn is they are ALL about parent's rights over the government, and demanding that they know everything from the schools about their kids - even if it would put the child in danger (they don't care) - but when that parent is SUPPORTIVE of their child's trans journey, they would have the government interfere in those parent's rights.

They only believe in parent's rights if the parents think like they do.