Civil Rights Progress

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Civil Rights Progress

Post by carmenjonze »

Beinecke Library
@BeineckeLibrary

Sugg and McDonald Family Papers

This collection documents the Sugg and McDonald family of Sonora, California, circa 1850-1964.

https://twitter.com/BeineckeLibrary/sta ... 4063711233

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Sometimes it's not just what's said, it's also who's invited.

8-year-old transgender activist invited to State of the Union
https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... the-union/
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:36 pm Sometimes it's not just what's said, it's also who's invited.

hell yes

I am ready to physically defend trans children or adults from Republicans who are out to get them, we need to all dedicate ourselves to actually defending them physically
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:36 pm Sometimes it's not just what's said, it's also who's invited.

Cute little person

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:20 pm hell yes

I am ready to physically defend trans children or adults from Republicans who are out to get them, we need to all dedicate ourselves to actually defending them physically
Same here.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

NEH Pres Access
@NEH_PresAccess

Hot off the press! @ChronAmLOC just added 1,224 pages from 103 African American newspapers from 28 states/DC. For some, only a single issue is extant/available, showing the collection's uniqueness & significance https://bit.ly/AfAmPapers #BHM #PresAccessFunded #HistoricalNewspapers

https://twitter.com/NEH_PresAccess/stat ... 0630584321

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

That's pretty cool, Carmen. History is so damned important.

ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Thanks for explaining why people who studied history have so much trouble with media "analyses" of current affairs. The Nooz acts as if we've never seen such a dire situation, ever, then makes cases for "solutions" that haven't ever worked.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:17 pm Thanks for explaining why people who studied history have so much trouble with media "analyses" of current affairs. They act as if we've never seen such a dire situation, ever, then make cases for "solutions" that haven't ever worked.
Well, they act like they don't have any long-term memory at all. I mean, besides being a big fan of history, I can remember back to the sixties, and what the GOP was like then. They HATED communism, wouldn't have anything to do with it. Now this KGB thug has been their hero for years now. I keep thinking, WTF?

I also remember how they would always bring up Neville Chamberlain. How he sold out for "peace in our time". And then you watch Tucker Carlson on Fox News.

But then, this is nothing new. Again, if you know your history, you know the conservative right were big fans of Adolf Hitler, and how he "made the trains run on time" and how popular the Nazi party was in America in the thirties.

Now we have the new Brownshirts, known today as the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers.

I think our conservatives really need to decide what side they are on, and if they love this country or not.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

^true

One tiny quibble. It was Mussolini who "made the trains run on time," or so it was chanted mantra style by the right wing of the era.

Our trains ran on time, for the most part, until the conservatives decided rail transport was old hat and gave the show away to the airlines. Now you're lucky if you arrive even close to scheduled. North-south runs aren't so bad, just annoying. East-west runs, well, don't be in a hurry.

Europe now has great trains. It's the only way to do short trips. Even London-Paris is best by train, and people do it every day. Here, the Acela up the NE coast is fast but expensive, and it's generally on time and an OK way to go. Otherwise, eeeeehhhhhh...............
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:29 pm ^true

One tiny quibble. It was Mussolini who "made the trains run on time," or so it was chanted mantra style by the right wing of the era.

Our trains ran on time, for the most part, until the conservatives decided rail transport was old hat and gave the show away to the airlines. Now you're lucky if you arrive even close to scheduled. North-south runs aren't so bad, just annoying. East-west runs, well, don't be in a hurry.

Europe now has great trains. It's the only way to do short trips. Even London-Paris is best by train, and people do it every day. Here, the Acela up the NE coast is fast but expensive, and it's generally on time and an OK way to go. Otherwise, eeeeehhhhhh...............
I rode the Acela several times. Great union-built and operated train. If we had the Acela everywhere, I wouldn't have stepped on an airplane again. It was truly a pleasure.

But I do stand corrected on the Mussolini point. Thanks.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Also Amtrak owns some of the roadbed, which they have upgraded for higher speeds. South of New York, it's like a European train. It's electric, and fast. It's also expensive if you want the real first class treatment, but otherwise it's IMHO a better way to do these short trips up and down the corridor than flying. I think it has flying beat by a mile. Also NYC has recently done a very impressive upgrade of Penn Station, restoring at least some of its former glory. Good for them.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:53 pm Also Amtrak owns some of the roadbed, which they have upgraded for higher speeds. South of New York, it's like a European train. It's electric, and fast. It's also expensive if you want the real first class treatment, but otherwise it's IMHO a better way to do these short trips up and down the corridor than flying. I think it has flying beat by a mile. Also NYC has recently done a very impressive upgrade of Penn Station, restoring at least some of its former glory. Good for them.
I've taken it to NY, Philly and all the way to Boston, Biz Class. You just walk onto the train, stops take about 10 minutes, nice seats and tables. And the internet is... okay. No streaming. Of course, that was a couple of years ago.

But train travel just makes so much more sense than air travel. And why can China have high-speed rail but we can't? It's because the GOP has turned our nation into the "we can't" nation. Ask the right why we can't have high-speed rail and they'll give you all kinds of reasons. They can ALWAYS tell you why we can't do anything.

Glad Kennedy didn't listen to them. But then, when Nixon took over they shut down the space program, and it was a shell of it's former self. Because we can't.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

They're the party of "can't" until the richest 0.5% want something, then they're the party of "now."
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Somehow I thought I'd posted this but looks like I didn't.

F. you, dirty cons. We're not going to let you force Russia-type antigay laws on our children, or us. (Which they copied from your nonprofits and your churches, anyway.)

Erin, Trail Mom
@ErinInTheMorn

Huge response from the Biden administration on Texas taking trans kids from supportive parents. There's too much for one tweet but...

• Office of Civl Rights will make contact with parents/defend them

• Children's Bureau contradicts Texas CPS

• HHS demands HIPAA be followed

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

gounion wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:23 pm Well, they act like they don't have any long-term memory at all. I mean, besides being a big fan of history, I can remember back to the sixties, and what the GOP was like then. They HATED communism, wouldn't have anything to do with it. Now this KGB thug has been their hero for years now. I keep thinking, WTF?

I also remember how they would always bring up Neville Chamberlain. How he sold out for "peace in our time". And then you watch Tucker Carlson on Fox News.

But then, this is nothing new. Again, if you know your history, you know the conservative right were big fans of Adolf Hitler, and how he "made the trains run on time" and how popular the Nazi party was in America in the thirties.

Now we have the new Brownshirts, known today as the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers.

I think our conservatives really need to decide what side they are on, and if they love this country or not.
They are attracted to the authoritarianism of that era and the current business communism is logical conclusion to that. Americas wealthy but in all the wrong places now, its wealth is burdensome and adversarial, corrosive, corrupting. It attacks civil and human rights, impoverishes families in an instant and binds people to labor for no gain. Remakes technology in its image to be burdensome and adversarial and all those other things.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:01 pm And why can China have high-speed rail but we can't?
Because China is a brutal authoritarian regime unconstrained by property rights or government regulations.

Contrast that with California’s attempt at L.A. TO S.F. high speed rail that started 12-13 years ago and remains mired in red tape and the court house.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:42 pm Because China is a brutal authoritarian regime unconstrained by property rights or government regulations.

Contrast that with California’s attempt at L.A. TO S.F. high speed rail that started 12-13 years ago and remains mired in red tape and the court house.
Japan and Europe has high speed rail out the wazoo.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1jMJgeZvmRMKL
WATCH: #MoralMonday Selma-to-Montgomery March with the #PoorPeoplesCampaign! #Selma57
live
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Motor City wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:43 am https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1jMJgeZvmRMKL

live
This is great! Thanks!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

Motor City wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:43 am https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1jMJgeZvmRMKL

live
cool
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

live
I’ve done the Sema-to-Montgomery March twice. It’s wild.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:12 pm Japan and Europe has high speed rail out the wazoo.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017 ... 7d3e29c080
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

The heck does this have to do with civil rights progress?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Thank you for the article! It proves EVERYTHING I've been saying. And ultimately, it even says this:
Last but not least, I am a natural optimist and I believe that America will ultimately figure out how to utilize certain emerging technologies to overcome the obstacles to implementing efficient, environmentally friendly and safe transportation for the masses. I do believe high-speed rail in some form will ultimately be part of this solution.
Not if conservatives have their way. The logic of the article does fall apart. For instance, it says, well, we love our cars too much! We like to drive, so we'll never take a train.

Oh? Then why are the 50,000 airline flights EVERY DAY in America just by the top three airlines? Looks to me like there's lots of people flying instead of driving. My flight yesterday was certainly full, as was the flight I took out on Friday!

And YOUR argument, that we can't get any land to build high-speed rail on, it's too expensive and people are too litigious.

Oh? Then how can we get the land to build highways and roads on, and even land for new airports? Somehow THAT happens!

Green, you're part of the "We Can't" America. When liberals were in the majority, there was nothing we couldn't do. We won a world war, we helped rebuild after that war, we won the space race. Now that you conservatives are in charge, we can't even build windmills or solar panels - we've left that up to China to do.

To get on the Acela, I took the DC Metro to Union Station, got there twenty minutes ahead, walked down the track a short ways, got on the train and took off. Got to Philly, and in five minutes from arrival I was in a cab to the hotel. Big comfortable seat, fast internet. You didn't feel like you were in a cattle car crammed together. If the Acela went everywhere, I'd never get on an airplane again.

And that's what you guys are scared of. So I had to leave for the airport 3 hours early, then it took over an hour after landing to get to the hotel. The airports were crammed with people. Flying is such a damned chore.

OF COURSE we could catch and surpass the rest of the world with rail. But not with you "we can't" naysayers who will always be here to tell us what we CAN'T do.

When I was growing up, we didn't listen to you assholes. But now you're in charge, telling us that the USA is a backwater country who must just let other, more savvy countries do everything we can't do.

You're the "expert" that tells us what we can't do and why. We need to tell you to shut the fuck up and go ahead and have the vision to do it. I don't argue for our nation's limitations. You are the one doing that.