The Woman King

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
gounion

The Woman King

Post by gounion »

YouTube Reviewer Grace Randolph gives a GREAT review and recommendation for the new movie The Woman King. I will be going to see this and will give my thoughts after I do.
The Woman King is the remarkable story of the Agojie, the all-female unit of warriors who protected the African Kingdom of Dahomey in the 1800s with skills and a fierceness unlike anything the world has ever seen. Inspired by true events, The Woman King follows the emotionally epic journey of General Nanisca (Oscar®-winner Viola Davis) as she trains the next generation of recruits and readies them for battle against an enemy determined to destroy their way of life. Some things are worth fighting for.
ProfX

Re: The Woman King

Post by ProfX »

Huh. So basically, real-life Dora Milaje. :D

Yeah, this one looks real interesting.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Drak

Post by Drak »

This peaks my interest. Looks like it will be good.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Saw it last night!

Highly recommended.

I'll stay away from spoilers for now, except to say that I ALSO avoided the OP video.

Ana Lucia Araujo is one of the top experts in the world on this topic. She's been publishing this week. Check this out: The Woman King Reader (in progress)

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells