Elon Musk, rip-off King!

News and events of the day
Bludogdem

Re: Elon Musk, rip-off King!

Post by Bludogdem »

“ByMaria MeranoPosted on December 30, 2022
Tesla Energy does not get as much attention as the company’s electric vehicles, but it has achieved its own fair share of milestones over the course of 2022. And thanks to the Lathrop Megafactory, which produces Megapack batteries, Tesla Energy could very well achieve even more milestones in the coming years.

Tesla recently listed a summary of its most important accomplishments in 2022. Among these was the opening of the Megafactory, which is located in Lathrop, California. The Megafactory is quite unique in the way that it specifically produces the company’s Megapack batteries, which are designed for commercial use. And as per Tesla’s recent Twitter posts, the Megafactory can produce 10,000 Megapack units per year. “

“ That’s a substantial number of Megapacks from the Lathrop Megafactory alone. At over $2 million each, a production of 10,000 Megapacks per year could provide Tesla with sales of over $20 billion. Provided that Tesla’s gross profit per Megapack is significant, the company could start to see Tesla Energy’s contributions to its bottom line grow substantially in the coming years. ”

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-lathrop ... -per-year/
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Anything Tesla does is because of superior engineering. They are capable of that. Their vehicles don't have it, but some of their other schemes might. The specs, prices, and market will decide.

At this point, in view of twitter's sickening and precipitous decline, it's fairly safe to conclude that whatever Tesla does to improve the general level of technology is in spite of Musk, not because of him. So far, his crowning achievements there are to let drumpf back on while censoring people he disagrees with in the name of free speech. Oh, and of course creating a situation where employees have to bring their own TP to work, and possibly allowing one of the biggest hacks in the history of online interaction.

For the most part, twitter was a lot less broken under Jack Dorsey, no Einstein either, than it is now.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:56 am Anything Tesla does is because of superior engineering. They are capable of that. Their vehicles don't have it, but some of their other schemes might. The specs, prices, and market will decide.

At this point, in view of twitter's sickening and precipitous decline, it's fairly safe to conclude that whatever Tesla does to improve the general level of technology is in spite of Musk, not because of him. So far, his crowning achievements there are to let drumpf back on while censoring people he disagrees with in the name of free speech. Oh, and of course creating a situation where employees have to bring their own TP to work, and possibly allowing one of the biggest hacks in the history of online interaction.

For the most part, twitter was a lot less broken under Jack Dorsey, no Einstein either, than it is now.
I don’t remember our other great visionary, Steve Jobs, becoming a complete and total waste of space asshole, but I wasn’t paying that close attention either so I don’t know.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I think he's still not an asshole. He just became a rich guy who didn't have to try as hard any more. I vaguely recall the period when every 5 years or so he'd invent something new that would transform the culture, but that's a bygone era.

I think the next round of revolutions will come from the ecology/climate science field, but then what do I know? I'm just some movie guy who switched to steadier work.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

https://news.yahoo.com/twitter-sued-non ... 11999.html

Twitter Sued for Nonpayment of Rent on San Francisco Office

He and trump have so much in common.

Makes one wonder, did he under orders or a partnership with putin buy twitter to destroy it to isolate people here in the US?

Or is he just a complete and total idiot when it comes to actually running a business?
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I think the Saudis are involved somehow. I don't have enough evidence to argue for Russian involvement, not yet anyway. We've pretty well proven, though, that international actors make all kinds of attacks on our election system, usually with information weapons.

At Musk's level, it transcends nation-states anyway. We're fighting a global oligarchy.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

“ Tesla starts hiring for its ‘license to print money,’ aka lithium refinery”

https://electrek.co/2023/01/09/tesla-st ... -refinery/

Certainly a move in the right direction to secure in country production.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Musk: I'm a lying sack of shit. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elon-mus ... e3fc775a77
Twitter CEO Elon Musk testified Friday that his tweets aren’t that big a deal as he made an attempt to defend himself against a class-action lawsuit claiming investors lost billions of dollars over one of his posted messages about taking Tesla private.

“It’s difficult to say the stock price is linked to [a] tweet,” he told jurors in San Francisco federal court. “Just because I tweet about something doesn’t mean people believe it or will act accordingly,” he added, Reuters reported.

Musk is being sued for alleged fraud over the fortunes that were lost when he tweeted in August 2018 that he was taking his car company private and had “funding secured.”

The deal never happened, and investors who scooped up stock in a bid to profit from the plan lost money when it simply evaporated.

Musk insisted on the witness stand that his tweets “are truthful — just simply short,” even though he never took Tesla private and there was no evidence that he had secured funding.

He wasn’t asked specifically about the Tesla tweet, Reuters noted, but is expected to on Monday when he returns to the stand.

*snip*

Musk is now also under fire for reportedly supervising the creation of a misleading video exaggerating the self-driving capabilities of Teslas, Bloomberg reported Thursday. “The car is driving itself,” says the intro to a video on Tesla’s “autopilot system.”

The video shows a driver tooling around town with his fingers just barely touching — or not touching at all — the steering wheel. Yet Tesla’s own website warns Autopilot drivers to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.”

The car company is under increasing scrutiny for a series of accidents that occurred in vehicles while they were in the Autopilot mode.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

And he's sad because the trial didn't move to Texas where he could've gotten a favorable ruling poor him not.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Tweets are supposed to be short. It's the basic concept of twitter. When that platform started, a tweet was the same length as the first SMS text messages, with the first 20 or whatever characters reserved for the @username. That left 140 characters, I believe.

Musk has made them much longer, though fortunately people still don't write long tweets, or at least the ones I'm still following don't.

Right. I didn't nuke my account on twitter. I just don't tweet even 1% as much as I used to. It's just a good way to keep tabs on what LA media are covering and where the mayhem is in this city tonight. It's also useful for discovering which helicopters are rattling our windows on a given evening. When and if that information moves, I go too.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Elon Musk doesn’t really believe in freedom of speech. He kisses world dictators’ asses.

Ryan Grim @ryangrim
🚨🚨
@ElonMusk
complied when India’s right-wing prime minister asked him to block a BBC documentary critical of him, and even deleted MP tweets https://interc.pt/3XsVHyN by me &
@mazmhussain

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/24/twi ... india-bbc/
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Twitter to end free access to its API in Elon Musk’s latest monetization push

Twitter will discontinue offering free access to the Twitter API starting February 9 and will launch a paid version, the Elon Musk-owned microblogging website said as it looks for more avenues to monetize the platform.

In a series of tweets, the Twitter Developer account said the firm will be ending support for both legacy v1.1 and the new v2 of its Twitter APIs. It did not immediately say how much it plans to charge for API usage.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/02/01/twitt ... o-its-api/
Drak

Post by Drak »

I think it's time for the US to step in and seize Musk's Starlink system. He's very obviously a Putin asset. Between this and what he's doing on Twitter. He constantly pushes pro Russia propaganda.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/politics ... _term=link

CNN

The president of SpaceX revealed the company has taken active steps to prevent Ukrainian forces from using the critical Starlink satellite technology with Ukrainian drones that are a key component of their fight against Russia.

“There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that,” Gwynne Shotwell told reporters on Wednesday, referencing reports on Starlink and drone use. “There are things that we can do, and have done.”

Starlink was never meant to be used militarily in the way that it has, Shotwell argued, saying the company didn’t foresee how profoundly – and creatively – Ukrainian forces would rely on the technology.

“It was never intended to be weaponized,” Shotwell told an audience at a space conference. “However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement.”

Shotwell’s admission that SpaceX, which was founded by Elon Musk, has prevented Ukrainian soldiers from fully using the technology confirms the long-standing belief that Musk and the company are uneasy with Ukraine’s military use of Starlink.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ap215

Post by ap215 »

I'm not surprised by this Congressman Moskowitz i saw this coming Musk & Deregulation are a joke.

House Democrat presses Musk on rise of antisemitism on Twitter

Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Fla.) penned a letter to Twitter CEO Elon Musk on Thursday asking how he plans to combat the rise of antisemitism on the social media platform after the congressman was the target of a barrage of antisemitic comments this week.

Mowkositz, who is Jewish, said his official Twitter account received “hundreds of hateful, divisive comments” after he posted a video clip of himself pointing out the spread of antisemitism on the platform during a congressional hearing the day before.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3853 ... n-twitter/
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://twitter.com/RealDanODowd/status ... 6973179905
Watch The Dawn Project’s #SuperBowl ad demonstrate critical safety defects in @Tesla Full Self-Driving.

6 months ago we reported FSD would run down a child.

Tesla hasn't even fixed that!

To focus their attention, @NHTSAgov must turn off FSD until Tesla fixes all safety defects.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Indeed. All the evidence that I see is that the Tesla is kind of a shitty car. You can make a safe and reliable electric vehicle, but the Tesla isn't it.

Ever see one crash and burn? There are pictures all over the Internet. Those lithium batteries can really do a kerflooey in an accident. That guy who survived after driving his whole family off a cliff in one got lucky he didn't end up as a pot roast.

Still, after I said here that, "You can't go a block in LA without seeing a Tesla," I decided to check it out. I started looking for the damn things. It's true. The place is lousy with them.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Well now.

U.S. investigating Elon Musk's Neuralink over hazardous pathogens

Feb 9 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Transportation said on Thursday it is investigating Elon Musk's brain-implant company Neuralink over the potentially illegal movement of hazardous pathogens.

A Department of Transportation spokesperson told Reuters about the probe after the Physicians Committee of Responsible Medicine (PCRM), an animal-welfare advocacy group, wrote to Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg earlier on Thursday to alert it of records it obtained on the matter.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/elon ... 023-02-09/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Of course he would.

Yes, Elon Musk created a special system for showing you all his tweets first

At 2:36 on Monday morning, James Musk sent an urgent message to Twitter engineers.

“We are debugging an issue with engagement across the platform,” wrote Musk, a cousin of the Twitter CEO, tagging “@here” in Slack to ensure that anyone online would see it. “Any people who can make dashboards and write software please can you help solve this problem. This is high urgency. If you are willing to help out please thumbs up this post.”

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/14/2360 ... es-twitter
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Twitter is becoming incoherent. It puts little one liners up at the top and tweets links to people it has been programmed to cram down our throats. Every three days there's a new button to push that either does nothing or does something completely over the edge. The choice for your feed seems to limited to people you follow vs people the algorithm "thinks" you should follow, most of whom are dweebs.

It's brain damaged.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Sure Elon sure.

Elon Musk aiming to appoint his successor as Twitter CEO by the end of 2023

Elon Musk said Wednesday that he might be able to appoint his successor as Twitter CEO by the end of 2023 but first needs to “stabilize” his social media company.

“I think I need to stabilize the organization and just make sure it’s in a financially healthy place and that the product roadmap is clearly laid out,” Musk said at the World Government Summit in Dubai.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/15/elon-mu ... -2023.html
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Right now the road map has a fractal dimension.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Tesla is recalling 362,758 vehicles and warns that its experimental driver-assistance software, marketed as Full Self-Driving Beta, may cause crashes.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/16/tesla-r ... ashes.html

-----

Context appears to indicate that the word "crash" means something quite a bit more serious than an error message. Blue screen of death, indeed.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

It's best they pick another option it's not worth staying there anymore.

Twitter can’t protect you from trolls any more, insiders say

Twitter insiders have told the BBC that the company is no longer able to protect users from trolling, state-co-ordinated disinformation and child sexual exploitation, following lay-offs and changes under owner Elon Musk.

Exclusive academic data plus testimony from Twitter users backs up their allegations, suggesting hate is thriving under Mr Musk's leadership, with trolls emboldened, harassment intensifying and a spike in accounts following misogynistic and abusive profiles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64804007
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Elon Musk Laughs at Twitter Worker Who Asked If He Still Had a Job

Twitter CEO Elon Musk sank to a new low on Monday night when he laughed at employee Haraldur Thorleifsson, who tweeted at him to ask whether he had been affected by the company’s recent layoffs. Throughout the course of their conversation on Twitter, Thorleifsson confirmed the worst: His days at Twitter were over.

Thorleifsson, founder of Ueno, a digital agency acquired by Twitter in 2021, found himself caught in a Musk-produced chaos a little more than a week ago, when he suddenly lost access to his work computer. The Ueno founder stated that he asked Twitter’s human resources department whether he still had a job but was told they didn’t know. After emailing Musk himself to no avail, Thorleifsson decided to do the next best thing. He tweeted at the Twitter CEO.

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-laughs-tw ... 1850196254
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Any good replacements for twitter yet? I'm waiting to see.