Baseball History With Game Played in Mexico City

Football, Baseball, Curling... All the Important Ones!
Number6

Baseball History With Game Played in Mexico City

Post by Number6 »

The San Fransisco Giants played the San Diego Padres in the first scheduled major league baseball game ever in Mexico City. The Padres are the home team for this two-game series and the Giants are the visitors. Mexico City's altitude is 7,349 feet, over two thousand feet high than Denver where the Colorado Rockies play. The higher the altitude the further the ball travels and that was no exception in Mexico City where the Padres and Giants combined for 11 home runs. Not only do the balls travel further but the balls pitched reacted differently as well. Granted, the stadium, which holds 20,000, and field is smaller there were still a pile of hits and runs scored. The Padres had 16 runs on 17 hits to the Giants 11 runs to 13 hits.
https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-hit-6-h ... ity-opener

In addition to this being the first scheduled game in MLB history, Padre Xavier Bogaerts became the first play in MLB history to have hit a home run in four different countries; US, Canada, England, and Mexico.
https://www.mlb.com/news/xander-bogaert ... -countries

The second game in Mexico City is scheduled for tomorrow at 1 pm PDT.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Re: Baseball History With Game Played in Mexico City

Post by ap215 »

That was a fun series that altitude was no joke with the baseball it's 7,349 feet high or 2240 meters in Mexico City similar to what Colorado has.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Fun for a couple days but the park wasnt fit for major league players due to the elevation and way too many home runs.

Did I see Juan Marichal pitch against Sandy Koufax at Candlestick, yes.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ap215 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:02 pm That was a fun series that altitude was no joke with the baseball it's 7,349 feet high or 2240 meters in Mexico City similar to what Colorado has.
Actually, Mexico City is more than 2,000 higher than Denver so the ball can travel further. The series was interesting and entertaining. The first game produced 11 home runs, 30 hits, and 27 runs in the first game. The second game, surprisingly, was more like an ordinary game with four home runs, 19 hits, an 10 runs.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:40 pm Fun for a couple days but the park wasnt fit for major league players due to the elevation and way too many home runs.

Did I see Juan Marichal pitch against Sandy Koufax at Candlestick, yes.
The park wasn't to major league specifications but the purpose of the game being held there was, IMO, to increase the MLB brand in Mexico. There will be regular scheduled games in other countries to bet the MLB brand started in those countries. I expect at sometime in the future we'll see MLB leagues in Europe and Asia with the winners of each league and the U.S. playing in a true World Series.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:48 pm The park wasn't to major league specifications but the purpose of the game being held there was, IMO, to increase the MLB brand in Mexico. There will be regular scheduled games in other countries to bet the MLB brand started in those countries. I expect at sometime in the future we'll see MLB leagues in Europe and Asia with the winners of each league and the U.S. playing in a true World Series.
Could be, someday.

For now I dont want to go to robots for umpires and Barry Bonds needs to be in the Hall.
I sigh in your general direction.