RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: bye
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/13/scarlett-johansson-rub-tug-exit-transgender-casting-backlash - EW

Quote:
Scarlett Johansson has decided to exit the lead role of Rub & Tug, the film from director Rupert Sanders that would have seen the Avengers star playing trans man Dante “Tex” Gill.

“In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project,” Johansson said in a statement Friday to Out magazine. “Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I’ve learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive. I have great admiration and love for the trans community and am grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues.”

Scarlett Johansson should have known better than to try and pull this. Next time, she and a bunch of others will think twice.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/13/scarlett-johansson-rub-tug-exit-transgender-casting-backlash - EW

Scarlett Johansson should have known better than to try and pull this. Next time, she and a bunch of others will think twice.

Are you being serious or is this post satire? While either way I will watch the movie once it gets to Netflix. To me it is as wrong to blast Johansson for playing a trans character as it would be to bash Neil Patrick Harris for playing a ladies man.

No check that it is worse or at least stupid to bash Johansson. Because with an actor of her caliber more people would have seen the movie and it might have altered public opinion about Trans people. [ I hope that is an acceptable term. If it isn't I apologize and meant no harm]

Next up will be the project either getting cancelled altogether or scaled back to where no matter who plays what the movie will be crappy.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Are you being serious or is this post satire? While either way I will watch the movie once it gets to Netflix. To me it is as wrong to blast Johansson for playing a trans character as it would be to bash Neil Patrick Harris for playing a ladies man.

No check that it is worse or at least stupid to bash Johansson.

Have you confused criticism with blasting? Sounds oversensitve to me. I don't see what you're so defensive about, unless it's out of some resentment that a cis actor got dinged for trying to play a trans person.

The comparison to Neil Patrick Harris is out of ignorance. You guys had no problem believing Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter playing ladies men. (And also had no problem with a society-wide forced closet for all gay people and especially those in the public eye.)

That said, as much as you guys claim to despise Hollywood for various reasons, there has been a longstanding matter of opportunities for artists that mirrors conservative social ideology. Start here: expanded opportunites for white artists. Limited opportunities for every other group of artists.

That includes white artists playing everyone including Latinos, Asians, African Americans, and of course Native Americans. It's still an issue, which is why Scarlett Johansson of all people ought to know better.

That problem pre-dates "Hollywood". It's important for this story because it's duplicated in expanded opportunities for heteros and cis artists and extremely limited opportunities for trans and LGBQ artists. This doesn't even broach the issue of representation.

Why would what I said be satire?

Quote:
Because with an actor of her caliber more people would have seen the movie and it might have altered public opinion about Trans people. [ I hope that is an acceptable term. If it isn't I apologize and meant no harm] Next up will be the project either getting cancelled altogether or scaled back to where no matter who plays what the movie will be crappy.

Crappy because a non-trans actor got pushback for a part?

Has it occurred to you that the movie could be better with a trans actor in the role? You seem to think trans persons should be grateful for a name-brand cis person playing a part that a trans man could easily knock out of the park. That's a paternalistic view along the lines of saying African Americans should have been grateful to Al Jolson.

Do you know who Dante "Tex" Gill is?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Related both to "bye" and the Scarlett Johansson flap:

These trans actors could have been cast instead of Scarlett Johansson in her new movie - NBC2/CNN

Quote:
Ellie Desautels

Desautels is among the few actors who are nonbinary -- people who identify themselves as neither male nor female -- and who have appeared on prime-time network series. Most recently, Desautels played a transgender high school student named Michael Hallowell in the now-canceled NBC drama "Rise."

"We need roles written for everyone -- and casting directors should then know how to cast those roles accordingly," the actor said in an interview with GLAAD.

Chaz Bono (if you know who Dante "Tex" Gill is, you can really see this casting! -cj)

The LGBT advocate and child of performer Cher and the late entertainer and politician Sonny Bono was the first transgender contestant on "Dancing With the Stars."

Last year, the 49-year-old actor starred on "American Horror Story: Cult."

Bono also is the author of several books, including "Transition," in which he talks about identifying as a transgender man.

Emmett Jack Lundberg

Lunderg is a filmmaker and actor known for "Brothers," a web series following the lives of four transgender male friends in Brooklyn.

The series was named one of Indiewire's 10 Best Indie TV Series in 2014.

Ian Harvie

A former standup comedian, Harvie has starred in several TV series.

The trans actor appeared in Amazon's "Transparent" in 2014 and since then has been a guest star on several other shows, including NBC's "Will & Grace."

"When we get to see ourselves in the media, we get to feel like we exist, especially when there's positive representations of trans people," Harvie said in an interview with CNN's Brooke Baldwin.

Jeffrey Tambor played transgender woman Maura Pfefferman in Amazon's "Transparent." After winning a second Emmy for that role, he made a plea to Hollywood to open its doors to transgender talent.

"I'm not going to say this beautifully: To you people out there ... please give transgender talent a chance. Give them auditions. Give them their story," Tambor said in his acceptance speech in 2016.

"I would be happy if I were the last cisgender male to play a transgender female," he added.

There are others.

Also, Jeffrey Tambor made it into the Big Perv thread. So many of these threads overlap, as in most of those clowns in Big Perv eventually end up in Bye.

This is a very, very good development.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Billy Bush's wife files for divorce ending nearly 20-year marriage, reports say

Billy Bush‘s wife Sydney Davis has filed for divorce, ending their marriage of nearly 20 years, according to E! News and TMZ.

Davis filed legal documents to end their marriage in Los Angeles Superior Court citing irreconcilable differences, according to TMZ. The two have been separated since September, 11 months following the leak of the infamous "Access Hollywood" tapes featuring Bush and Donald Trump.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 784898002/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:33 am 
Board Emeritus

City Winery NYC moving in 2020; block is being demolished for new Disney HQ

City Winery has been at the corner of Varick and Vandam for 10 years, but will soon be moving as the entire block is being razed to make way for Disney’s new headquarters. (Disney signed a 99-year lease from block owners Trinity Church for $650 million). Gothamist talked to City Winery owner Michael Dorf who said he knew this was coming, but didn’t know it’d be so soon. “When we signed our lease ten years ago there was a discussion and a clause about what would happen if they were to demolish the building. It foretold of the future,” he said, adding, “Trinity Church has been a good landlord and communicating with me about what was happening over the last couple of years.”

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/city-winer ... disney-hq/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Have you confused criticism with blasting? Sounds oversensitve to me. I don't see what you're so defensive about, unless it's out of some resentment that a cis actor got dinged for trying to play a trans person.

The comparison to Neil Patrick Harris is out of ignorance. You guys had no problem believing Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter playing ladies men. (And also had no problem with a society-wide forced closet for all gay people and especially those in the public eye.)

That said, as much as you guys claim to despise Hollywood for various reasons, there has been a longstanding matter of opportunities for artists that mirrors conservative social ideology. Start here: expanded opportunites for white artists. Limited opportunities for every other group of artists.

That includes white artists playing everyone including Latinos, Asians, African Americans, and of course Native Americans. It's still an issue, which is why Scarlett Johansson of all people ought to know better.

That problem pre-dates "Hollywood". It's important for this story because it's duplicated in expanded opportunities for heteros and cis artists and extremely limited opportunities for trans and LGBQ artists. This doesn't even broach the issue of representation.

Why would what I said be satire?

Crappy because a non-trans actor got pushback for a part?

Has it occurred to you that the movie could be better with a trans actor in the role? You seem to think trans persons should be grateful for a name-brand cis person playing a part that a trans man could easily knock out of the park. That's a paternalistic view along the lines of saying African Americans should have been grateful to Al Jolson.

Like 99pct of the rest of the country I had never heard of him before.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Gee, glen says. It's Hollywood, and all make-believe. Why should we EVER hire minority or any non-straight white people EVER, when, obviously white, straight actors are the more gifted actors. If we hire a trans actor, that means that the BETTER actor is pushed aside.

Such is right-wing logic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Gee, glen says. It's Hollywood, and all make-believe. Why should we EVER hire minority or any non-straight white people EVER, when, obviously white, straight actors are the more gifted actors. If we hire a trans actor, that means that the BETTER actor is pushed aside.

Such is right-wing logic.

Here is a lost opportunity for the transgender community to get mainstream attention and perhaps change or soften pubic opinion. But, the pc police put a stop to that because a mainstream movie star was chosen for the part
As opposed to a trans actor that nobody had ever heard of who would have no box office appeal.

Such is lw logic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Here is a lost opportunity for the transgender community to get mainstream attention and perhaps change ot soften punlic opinion. But, the pc police put a stop to that because a mainstream movie star was chosen for the part
As opposed to a trans actor that nobody had ever heard of who would have no box office appeal.

Such is lw logic

...and the blacks that protested lynching in the sixties should have shut up too, right? Wrong.

And glen can’t conceive that an actor that is trans and not a straight white could become a breakout star. That is quite telling right there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:26 am 
Board Emeritus

...and the blacks that protested lynching in the sixties should have shut up too, right? Wrong.

And glen can’t conceive that an actor that is trans and not a straight white could become a breakout star. That is quite telling right there.

You mean like the woman who played Precious. She has had so many big roles and has become such a box office sensation it is hard to count her many roles.

Such is lw logic. Cant have a big well known star play a transgender role. It has to go to a person with no box office appeal.

Newsflash it is called showBUSINESS. Lost opportunity for the trans community. I doubt the movie even gets made.

Sidebar, I am assuming there would have been many roles in the picture for trans actors. A supporting role could have been the breakout role you mentioned.

I really dont have a dog in this fight and before some fool says it, no I am not outraged. Just pointing out the stupidity of LW logic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 am 
Board Emeritus

You mean like the woman who played Precious. She has had so many big roles and has become such a box office sensation it is hard to count her many roles.

Such is lw logic. Cant have a big well known star play a transgender role. It has to go to a person with no box office appeal.

Newsflash it is called showBUSINESS. Lost opportunity for the trans community. I doubt the movie even gets made.

Sidebar, I am assuming there would have been many roles in the picture for trans actors. A supporting role could have been the breakout role you mentioned.

I really dont have a dog in this fight and before some fool says it, no I am not outraged. Just pointing out the stupidity of LW logic.

Of course you have a dog in the fight. The usual white privilege dog. Never hire a minority actor when a straight white actor is available, because OBVIOUSLY they are superior actors! That's why David Carradine was the star of the 70's TV series Kung Fu, instead of the better actor Bruce Lee, who conceived the entire thing. Don't put an actual minority into a role, when a white actor can PRETEND to be a minority! Don't want to take jobs from the obviously superior whites, do we?

It shows the whole mindset - glen, you just can't believe that an ACTUAL trans actor could put in a superior performance than a straight white woman. Don't EVER give them a chance!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Here is a lost opportunity for the transgender community to get mainstream attention and perhaps change or soften pubic opinion. But, the pc police put a stop to that because a mainstream movie star was chosen for the part

Such is lw logic

What "lost opportunity" are you even talking about?

Are you labeling the same trans community that raised the issue "the PC police"?

You might also interested to know that the LW and more importantly the trans community is of varied opinion on this matter.

But then, that would take actually knowing either some "LW" or trans people and not getting your info on social issues from Tucker Carlson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 am 
Board Emeritus

What "lost opportunity" are you even talking about?

Are you labeling the same trans community that raised the issue "the PC police"?

You might also interested to know that the LW and more importantly the trans community is of varied opinion on this matter.

But then, that would take actually knowing either some "LW" or trans people and not getting your info on social issues from Tucker Carlson

An opportunity for the masses who rarely if ever have contact with a transgender person to see them portraited in a sympathetic light. Perhaps showing us that their day to day life isnt nearly as different or bizarre as people might believe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:21 am 
Board Emeritus

It's called a breakout role.

Do you know who Dante "Text" Gill is?

Quote:
I really dont have a dog in this fight and before some fool says it, no I am not outraged.

More like over-emotional about an issue that will never even affect you.

Quote:
Just pointing out the stupidity of LW logic.

I don't think that's working out very well for you. You have a lot to learn before trying to instruct others.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am 
Board Emeritus

An opportunity for the masses who rarely if ever have contact with a transgender person to see them portraited in a sympathetic light. Perhaps showing us that their day to day life isnt nearly as different or bizarre as people might believe.

Yeah, especially if it were a REAL transgender person!

After all, we've had straight white men in drag for decades, and straight white women as men before too. How about giving a trans actor a chance?

The answer to that is not to give anyone a chance to take a job from a straight white actor.

I notice you ignored my point about Bruce Lee and Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Have you considered that "the masses" may not be the intended audience for this film or that showing them anything might not be the point of making it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:29 am 
Board Emeritus

It's called a breakout role.

Do you know who Dante "Text" Gill is?

More like over-emotional about an issue that will never even affect you.

I don't think that's working out very well for you. You have a lot to learn before trying to instruct others.

So you are saying it is better now that the movie might not get made. Or if it does it will have a smaller budget and less box office appeal. Not to mention all the positive press and response the left in general and trans in particular are currently recieving.

That is much better than a movie with a bigger budget. With a known star. With a bigger box office reaching more people with a positive message.

LW logic indeed. A minority community had a great opportunity for the mainstream to get a peak behind the curtain and spit the bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 am 
Board Emeritus

It shows the whole mindset - glen, you just can't believe that an ACTUAL trans actor could put in a superior performance than a straight white woman. Don't EVER give them a chance!

It really does. And this very mentality is why trans artists raised the issue.

Limited job opportunities for trans people. Expanded job opportunities for cis people. And Ms. Johansson JUST went through this regarding playing a character of Asian descent, so it's not like she is a stranger to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:34 am 
Board Emeritus

[quote="[url=http://radiofreeliberal.com/viewtopic.php?p=416061#p416061]glenfs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:29 am[/url]"]

So you are saying it is better now that the movie might not get made. Or if it does it will have a smaller budget and less box office appeal. Not to mention all the positive press and response the left in general and trans in particular are currently recieving.

That is much better than a movie with a bigger budget. With a known star. With a bigger box office reaching more people with a positive message.

LW logic indeed. A minority community had a great opportunity for the mainstream to get a peak behind the curtain and spit the bit.[/quote]

You have an opportunity to take a moment to stop ranting, and educate yourself.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am 
Board Emeritus

LW logic indeed. A minority community had a great opportunity for the mainstream to get a peak behind the curtain and spit the bit.

Why won't you answer Carmen's question?

And how do you know it'll have a smaller budget and box office appeal? You do know that many big-budget movies have been made with an unknown in the lead, to be big hits, right?

Oh, I dunno... Like Kevin Costner in The Untouchables. I remember reading in Entertainment magazine months before the movie came out, that you've never heard of this actor, but he's going to be a big star when this movie comes out. Before the Untouchables, he played a dead body in The Big Chill, whose flashback scenes were cut in the final movie, and a small role in Silverado. He was an unknown whose breakout role in a big-budget movie made him a star.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Let's remember that Scarlett Johansson was already in one movie where she was a whitewashed character. Ghost in a Shell was a box-office dud where she pretended to be asian, and it was a dud both with critics and movie-goers.

So, another such movie sure wasn't guaranteed to be a hit with Johansson, which, of course, is a fact you ignore, glen, because you want to see straight white actors, not real trans or minority actors, because you see straight white actors as superior.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am 
Board Emeritus

Like 99pct of the rest of the country I had never heard of him before.

How come you still do not know who he is? Are you resistant to looking him up?

Or looking up what various trans people are saying about this issue?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 am 
Board Emeritus

glen, you mentioned the movie Precious. I admit I never saw it, not really into most dramas. But it was a critical and box-office success. Are you saying it would have been a better movie and a bigger success if a white woman, say Scarlet Johansson, had played the lead in a fat suit and blackface?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Let's remember that Scarlett Johansson was already in one movie where she was a whitewashed character. Ghost in a Shell was a box-office dud where she pretended to be asian, and it was a dud both with critics and movie-goers.

So, another such movie sure wasn't guaranteed to be a hit with Johansson, which, of course, is a fact you ignore, glen, because you want to see straight white actors, not real trans or minority actors, because you see straight white actors as superior.

They've been conditioned by Birth of A Nation which employed whites in blackface to play the key black roles.

And phenomenons like Elvis and Pat Boone making a mint singing Black-invented music to an audience that looks down on such music when performed by the originators.

It really does date back to that one film.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next