RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trump skewered after calling Hurricane Florence 'tremendously big and tremendously wet'

President Donald Trump became the butt of jokes on Tuesday as he warned Americans about a "tremendously big and a tremendously wet" hurricane this week.

Trump made the comment while speaking at a White House briefing on the administration’s battle plan for Hurricane Florence, but he appeared to struggle when it came to describing the forthcoming storm.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-m ... d=57762713

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's bigly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

watch the temps climb as clear cutting goes wide spread global commercial.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/gl ... mperature/
GLOBAL LAND-OCEAN TEMPERATURE INDEX
Time Series: 1884 to 2017
Data source: NASA/GISS

The time series below shows the five-year average variation of global surface temperatures. Dark blue indicates areas cooler than average. Dark red indicates areas warmer than average.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tropical Storm Olivia hit the Hawaiian Islands yesterday going between Oahu and Maui which is the first time in recorded history that's happened.

Hurricane Florence landed in North Carolina.

Super Typhoon Mangkhut (Category 5) made landfall in the Philippines today.

And there are still some shills people claiming there's no such thing as Climate Change.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:20 am 
Board Emeritus

Today in the Washington Post I read something I have disagreement with:

"Seas have risen about a foot along the Carolina coast since 1900, according to Rahmstorf and his colleague Andrew Kemp, a Tufts University sea-level rise expert who has studied the Carolinas, in particular. (You can also see this in the tide gauge at Wilmington, N.C.) About a third of that change is due to land sinking, or subsidence, which cannot be blamed on humans or climate change. But the remaining amount — about eight inches, or 20 centimeters — is the result of sea-level rise, a substantial part of which is attributable to humans."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-e ... 568cbfb10d

I think that statement I set in bold overlooks the possibility that water wells having been in place and having been pumped for several centuries may well have contributed to that one third foot subsidence of the land. I would estimate that the odds of that being the case is likely.

:|

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Seas have risen about a foot along the Carolina coast since 1900, according to Rahmstorf and his colleague Andrew Kemp, a Tufts University sea-level rise expert who has studied the Carolinas, in particular. (You can also see this in the tide gauge at Wilmington, N.C.) About a third of that change is due to land sinking, or subsidence, which cannot be blamed on humans or climate change. But the remaining amount — about eight inches, or 20 centimeters — is the result of sea-level rise, a substantial part of which is attributable to humans."

I think that statement I set in bold overlooks the possibility that water wells having been in place and having been pumped for several centuries may well have contributed to that one third foot subsidence of the land. I would estimate that the odds of that being the case is likely.

:rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)
Quote:
About a third of that change is due to land sinking, or subsidence, which cannot be blamed on humans or climate change.

thats funny.
all the big heavy buildings built on the "continental shelf" as tho it were made of rock.
as well the wells. the rains, the growing heavy rains like Florence washing all the "land" and "dirt" into
the ocean(s). no probs!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Florence: News Channel Takes Shelter Live on Air Over Tornado Warning

Staff at a North Carolina news station was forced to shelter in place due to a tornado warning triggered by Florence.

The news team at WWAY in North Carolina was reporting on a tornado threat in the area on Sept. 16 when they were told that it wasn’t safe to stay on set due to a tornado in Leland.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/florence- ... 62333.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Typhoon Mangkhut: South China battered by deadly storm

A powerful storm which killed dozens of people in the Philippines is now making its way across southern China.

Typhoon Mangkhut is one of the most powerful storms to hit the region in decades.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45543664

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 am 
Board Emeritus

If the subsidence were caused by water wells then wouldn't the Ogallala Aquifer, under the Plain States, cause the same type of subsidence? That aquifer has been overused for well over a 150 years and the water levels have decreased substantially.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 am 
Board Emeritus

If the subsidence were caused by water wells then wouldn't the Ogallala Aquifer, under the Plain States, cause the same type of subsidence? That aquifer has been overused for well over a 150 years and the water levels have decreased substantially.

The Ogallala Aquifer is under my grandfathers farm. I have a bit of that land and it has a well sticking down into it. It's sand, silt, clay, and gravel in that order. Mostly sand. It's been subsiding over time. Where there had been a flowing creek when my grandfather was young a depression grew under and around his main household well and became a marsh with an inlet and an outlet. Other than minor local signs like that of subsidence, at 5,000 feet elevation above the sea few inches, even a few feet of subsidence doesn't show up much.

Down in the valley here is a similar aquifer. There's a band across it where the subsidence is reversing the flow direction in the canals. In some places it's approaching 20 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Long Island Rescue Saves More Than 30 Dogs From Florence

A Long Island animal rescue organization has opened its doors to animals from hurricane-hit areas in Virginia and South Carolina.

Bracing for Hurricane Florence, the North Shore Animal League America took in more than 30 dogs, including puppies, from Martinsville, Virginia earlier this week. That freed up space for other dogs in low-lying shelters.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/L ... 96161.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

subsidence. land sinking.

i parked my horse trailer last year. when i went to hook it up to sell it...it had sank about 6".
the land did not look any different. my truck has a Bundy Bumper hitch,
i had to get a receiver hitch under it to connect. the tires did not leave sink marks where they
had been a year. they didnt appear sunk.

rains have washed 5-8INCHES of sandy dirt downhill. elsewhere. somewhere not here.
im on a sedimentary rock hill area where everything moves, things are constantly moving here.
expand contract repeat every day every nite. repeat every hot day.

Last edited by rainwater on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

L.A. sinks, but it's 90% from oil drilling. 12 feet in places.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

i hike up the hill behind me to this open area--think half dome--ive got half a hillside above me,
someone bucketed out the other half for fill.
so, a year ago the top of the 'dome' here was all a long mostly solid chunk of sedimentary rock.
all ochre in color and such. i did see the big cracks top to bottom in the biggest pieces which
were all connected behind the cracks. the small cracks. :shock:

its like watching a show, reading a book, i find it entertaining to hike up there and See which part
has fallen in, dropped off, expanded contracted expanded again and rolled down the face to land
in a new place and become an even smaller bit of sand.
im :shock: at how much has broken and fallen off the big boulders.

its a trip, watching this earth here return to sand. big boulders...sand. just like that!!!
that sedimentary hillside has been up there millions of years and im seeing it turn to sand.

ive got this huge-o moon and some really intense stars up there--i watch StarGazer,
they pointed out the Venus to Saturn line to me late July. clearly here everything around me is moving.
im fuckin dizzy man.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

Mummified Ice Age wolf pup, caribou still covered with fur found by gold miners

Quote:
.......A mummified wolf pup and caribou believed to have walked Earth over 50,000 years ago were discovered with tissue and fur intact — a remarkable find, Canadian authorities say.

The caribou was found at the site of a 80,000-year-old volcanic ash bed and officials believe it's among the oldest mummified mammal tissue in the world, according to a release.

The head, two front limbs and torso of the caribou were intact. The wolf pup was found with a complete body. .......

something to clone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Florence - Dramatic video of tornado in Chesterfield Co.

https://www.wavy.com/video/dramatic-vid ... 1454493535

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Something to eat. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

Sam Lefthand wrote:

Something to eat. :D

wolf jerky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

ive got this huge-o moon and some really intense stars up there--i watch StarGazer,
they pointed out the Venus to Saturn line to me late July. clearly here everything around me is moving.
im fuckin dizzy man.

Friday the sky lineup along the ecliptic here was was Venus - crescent moon - Jupiter - Mars. Those were the ones you could see at dusk when Venus was still out. The sky was still dark blue. Nice show.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Friday the sky lineup along the ecliptic here was was Venus - crescent moon - Jupiter - Mars. Those were the ones you could see at dusk when Venus was still out. The sky was still dark blue. Nice show.

Can I get $1 for every post here and out there stated to me like this

"no, Libertas, the sky is not falling"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Can I get $1 for every post here and out there stated to me like this

"no, Libertas, the sky is not falling"

:o

I thought I was supposed to get that dollar each and every time someone said "no, Libertas, the sky is not falling."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

yes that is part of the unique line-up this summer.
straight line, W to E it was..BRIGHT Venus, tiny jupiter, small mars and Large Saturn.
then, the moon shows up between jupiter and mars, neither of which appear big bright or noteworthy.
venus and saturn...now that was a show. saturn is a bit smaller this moon and a big lower to the SE.
venus starts out bright now then dulls down by 10pmish. saturn is smaller now too.

im still amazed i saw the rings of saturn this summer. if those rings were up close youd have 8billion
humans standing outside staring up at the sky 24/7/365.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've seen Saturn through some decent refracting telescopes. Even in L.A. you could practically count every rock in the rings. It does restore a sense of scale when politics seem to take over the whole universe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

im seeing moon craters with my binocs. dad had a telescope, but these binocs do a fine job of showing
moon craters.
im in one of those locations where the sunsets and night skies are really deeply cool.
5miles in any direction and its not the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh sure, craters show right up. I can get very nice ones with a 200 mm camera lens.

The best stuff I'm seeing right now is the pictures of gases circulating on Jupiter. They put false color on it, and it looks like good art. Some of the turbulence is positively fractal. I can't remember which spacecraft shoots these.

Best Perseids I ever saw were outside Taos. There really was one a minute. In the city, you're lucky to see one every half hour. There were also good red sunsets on the mountains. You see where they got the name Sangre de Christo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next