RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Strong 5.5 quake rattles Venezuela before dawn; people flee

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — A strong earthquake jolted Venezuelans from their sleep early Thursday, forcing residents in the capital to evacuate buildings in their pajamas before sunrise. There were no immediate reports of casualties.

The 5.5 magnitude quake struck just before 5 a.m. Thursday (1000 GMT) and was centered near the town of San Diego, 165 kilometers (100 miles) west of Caracas, the capital. It had a depth of 6 miles (10 kilometers) and was felt across seven states, along with a 5.0 magnitude aftershock a few minutes later.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Stron ... 52331.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

5.0 magnitude earthquake strikes Southcentral Alaska

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - A 5.0 magnitude earthquake hit Southcentral Alaska just after 6:00 p.m.

The earthquake was said to have hit seven miles northwest of Anchorage. According to the Alaska Earthquake Center the earthquake hit at a depth of just under 27 miles.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/50-ma ... 46361.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

City Of Los Angeles Sues The Weather Channel App For Deceptive Data Collection Practices

The City of Los Angeles has sued the makers of the Weather Channel App, saying it uses the data it gathers in ways that have nothing to do with providing accurate local weather forecasts.

The suit accuses TWC Product and Technology, the company behind the app, of using the popular app to covertly mine the private data of its users and sell the information to third parties, including advertisers.

https://theworldnews.net/us-news/city-o ... -practices

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018 ... nd=premium
Rising Waters Are Drowning Amtrak's Northeast Corridor--

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... nvestors--
Tackle climate or face financial crash, say world's biggest investors---

UN summit urged to end all coal burning and introduce substantial taxes on emissions
Global investors managing $32tn issued a stark warning to governments at the UN climate summit on Monday, demanding urgent cuts in carbon emissions and the phasing out of all coal burning. Without these, the world faces a financial crash several times worse than the 2008 crisis, they said.

Investment firm Schroders said there could be $23tn of global economic losses a year in the long term without rapid action. This permanent economic damage would be almost four times the scale of the impact of the 2008 global financial crisis. Standard and Poor’s rating agency also warned leaders: “Climate change has already started to alter the functioning of our world.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
Standard and Poor’s rating agency also warned leaders: “Climate change has already started to alter the functioning of our world.”

Darn right it has.

The rain in the SE US is climate change all the way. It's caused by warmer water in the Gulf. Ditto in the NE US, where in 2018 it rained a lot more than it used to.

In the west it's the second El Nino in three years. This is unheard of. We're talking about a measurable shift in the Pacific Ocean that affects around 1/3 the planet's surface. ENSO is supposed to be more like decadal. Only one variable has changed... the climate.

PCH is closed after the fire area got 1" of rain in a half hour. Everything came down. Here, same storm, only 20 miles away, lucky if we got 1/3 of an inch the whole night. Obviously, more than ever, Malibu is Native American for "Only Stupid White People Will Ever Want To Live Here."

Lotta fabulous celebrity homes are gonna go away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

the reckoning, of then and now. 50years. Quicksilver Messenger Service – What About Me Lyrics--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvjXhUSUpU

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/q/quicksilv ... 40350.html
Recorded: October 8, 1970 / Released: December, 1970
You poisoned my sweet water.
You cut down my green trees.
The food you fed my children
Was the cause of their disease.
My world is slowly fallin' down
And the air's not good to breathe.
And those of us who care enough,
We have to do something...

[Chorus:]
Oh... Oh What you gonna do about me?
Oh... Oh What you gonna do about me?
Your newspapers,
They just put you on.
They never tell you
The whole story.
They just put your
Young ideas down.
I was wonderin' could this be the end
Of your pride and glory?

I work in your factory.
I study in your schools.
I fill your penitentiaries.
And your military too!
And I feel the future trembling,
As the word is passed around.
"If you stand up for what you do believe,
Be prepared to be shot down. "

And I feel like a stranger
In the land where I was born
And I live like an outlaw.
And I'm always on the run...
And I'm always getting busted
And I got to take a stand...
I believe the revolution
Must be mighty close at hand...

I smoke marijuana
But I can't get behind your wars.
And most of what I do believe
Is against most of your laws
I'm a fugitive from injustice
But I'm goin' to be free.
'Cause your rules and regulations
They don't do the thing for me

And I feel like a stranger
In the land where I was born
And I live just like an outlaw.
And I'm always on the run.
And though you may be stronger now, my time will come around.
You keep adding to my numbers, and you shoot my people down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Minor earthquake felt in western NC

CANTON, N.C. — Residents of western North Carolina were wakened early Monday with a shock. According to the United States Geological Survey, an earthquake of 2.2 magnitude was reported just after midnight.

https://www.wral.com/minor-earthquake-f ... /18108556/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

That album cover is one of the classics.

Imagine having such a large space to put your public art on. All gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

USPS Hit With $150K Fine For Heat-Related Death Of Woodland Hills Mail Carrier

WOODLAND HILLS (CBSLA) – A federal agency has fined the U.S. Postal Service nearly $150,000 for its role in the heat-related death of a 63-year-old mail carrier in Woodland Hills last summer.

On July 6, 2017, Peggy Frank was found unresponsive in her mail truck amid temperatures of up to 117 degrees Fahrenheit. Paramedics were unable to revive her and she died. Frank had worked for the Postal Service for nearly three decades and was a few years away from retirement.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/01 ... l-carrier/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

No shutdown for Weather Service 'tirelessly' forecasting snowstorm

As winter weather threatened to dump up to eight inches of snow in Washington, D.C., the National Weather Service's staff kept providing vital forecasts for the nation even as its meteorologists tracked the storm without pay in the government shutdown.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which the weather service is under, confirmed in a statement to USA TODAY that its forecasts are on track despite the partial federal closure.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 558998002/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 am 
Board Emeritus

They're moving highway earth moving and power line tree removal machines up into my area in anticipation of a storm which has been predicted for later this week.

:|

We've had about five inches of rain this month so far, and so far so good it came down slowly. The top surface is well saturated.

Dead tree removal and fires have laid bare a lot of acres of land along the highways and power line right of ways.

:|

PG&E are filing for bankruptcy over fire liability. Up here in the hills for as long as I've been here one of the most common sights I see is seeing a PG&E vegetation removal contractor out with a limb chipper and hopper truck trimming the trees around the power lines.

Based on what I've seen they're doing about all I can imagine they could do to prevent fires. What they have standing when whipped by high winds does spark fires which the winds then provide a draft to.

Then it is decided that those fires are not acts of god and the power line company is held wholly liable for billions in damages to those people who's homes burn.

High winds have a way of creating an ignition source. One I've seen happen, wind knocked down a repair shed. That shed had a heater hooked to a propane tank. That fire got put out but is illustrates how wind has a way of creating ignition sources where people don't, and won't, expect them.

I hope the California Legislature passes a law which defines a wind driven wildfire as an act of god, making immune from liability PG&E and all other persons who have the bad luck to own a place or hold a right a way where wind created a spark. Already immune are people who don't have enough money to make it worth suing.

When fire almost got my place in 2008 I would have had no one to sue. Two kids started it shooting at targets on a neighbors place. The damage and costs ran toward a 50 or a 100 million. Those kids had pocket money.

I didn't want their lives ruined, they didn't intend it, they need a way forward without a cloud over their head for the rest of their lives. That fire was more caused by high winds and climate change, than it was caused by that spark they produced.

Our community forgave those kids. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Couple of neighbor kids torched the hill behind our place in the Rich Kid Ghetto. Same thing, it was so obvious that they were just messing around that they weren't charged with anything. It was a dandy fire, which FD controlled before it got anything important. With the wind being off the ocean it would have burned their house first.

PG&E however has been grossly negligent on several occasions, and they used up their good feeling. The one most people know about is from Myra Breckenridge, but there's also the San Bruno gas blast and others.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Couple of neighbor kids torched the hill behind our place in the Rich Kid Ghetto. Same thing, it was so obvious that they were just messing around that they weren't charged with anything. It was a dandy fire, which FD controlled before it got anything important. With the wind being off the ocean it would have burned their house first.

PG&E however has been grossly negligent on several occasions, and they used up their good feeling. The one most people know about is from Myra Breckenridge, but there's also the San Bruno gas blast and others.

We may have to come up with much bigger penalties for this shit. Kids or not.

Myra Breckenridge?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066115/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

We may have to come up with much bigger penalties for this shit. Kids or not.

Myra Breckenridge?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066115/

There's no deterrence in it Libertas. Greater penalties are just going for more vengeance.

If something is unintentional, a mishap, not caused by someone thinking they were causing a fire when they did something which provided the ground conditions a spark, then there will be no thought given to the penalty they will receive for having done what caused a spark which caused fire. If someone does't think about a deterrence, then there is no deterrence in the deterrence.

I'm into healing, not into vengeance. Those two kids had a dark cloud over their heads for about two years while the government decided what to do with them.

They got forgiveness but it wasn't an easy time for them. Their lives will never be the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Antarctica losing six times more ice mass annually now than 40 years ago

Antarctica experienced a sixfold increase in yearly ice mass loss between 1979 and 2017, according to a study published today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Glaciologists from the University of California, Irvine, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the Netherlands' Utrecht University additionally found that the accelerated melting caused global sea levels to rise more than half an inch during that time.

"That's just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak," said lead author Eric Rignot, Donald Bren Professor and chair of Earth system science at UCI. "As the Antarctic ice sheet continues to melt away, we expect multi-meter sea level rise from Antarctica in the coming centuries."

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-antarctic ... s.html#jCp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK, OK, Erin Brockovich.

Actually, though, Erin's story made a better movie than the one about Myra/Myron. That one is, let's say, of its time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

4.7 magnitude earthquake recorded off coast of Virginia

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) -- A 4.7 magnitude earthquake was recorded Tuesday night off the coast of Virginia, according to the United States Geological Survey.

The agency specifically measured the quake as 219 kilometers from Ocean City, Maryland, about 125 miles away.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/47 ... 1704642633

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://grist.org/article/let-it-go-the ... zen-again/
Let it go: The Arctic will never be frozen again
By Eric Holthaus on Dec 18, 2017

Last week, at a New Orleans conference center that once doubled as a storm shelter for thousands during Hurricane Katrina, a group of polar scientists made a startling declaration: The Arctic as we once knew it is no more.

The region is now definitively trending toward an ice-free state, the scientists said, with wide-ranging ramifications for ecosystems, national security, and the stability of the global climate system. It was a fitting venue for an eye-opening reminder that, on its current path, civilization is engaged in an existential gamble with the planet’s life-support system.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.newsweek.com/did-anthropoce ... ans-313319
Did the Anthropocene Begin with the Deaths of 50 Million Native Americans?---

Columbus’ arrival in the “new world” in 1492 marked the start of an epoch of mass death. An estimated 50 million inhabitants of North, Central, and South America died between that date and the mid 1600s, from warfare, enslavement and the rapid spread of European disease among the native populations — who had no community-ingrained immunity. The scale of human obliteration was so massive that it ushered in a shift in the makeup of atmosphere, leading scientists to propose that 1610 be recognized as the beginning of the Anthropocene — the moment when humans began to alter Earth’s processes.

The term “Anthropocene” means, simply put, the “era of us.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Africa in the period was looking rather depopulated too. Not just slave trading in the west but religious wars in the east.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Showers likely, strong/severe weather possible Saturday

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - It’s a mild start to our Friday across Alabama... the sky is mostly cloudy and we are likely going to stay that into the afternoon, with the exception being a few peeks of sunshine.

Temperatures that started in the 50s will climb through the 60s as we call today the calm before the storm; while we cannot rule out a light shower, but most are dry today.

http://www.wsfa.com/2019/01/18/first-al ... -saturday/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Indonesia earthquakes: Two strong quakes ROCK Sumbawa - Ring of Fire shakes

A STRONG earthquake of magnitude 6.1 hit an Indonesian island today shortly before another magnitude 6.6 quake struck the island again, according to the US Geological Survey.

The earthquakes hit south of Indonesia's Sumbawa island. Indonesia has a deadly and unlucky history with earthquakes due to its position in the Ring of Fire. The latest earthquakes come as the country was hit by an earthquake on Lombok and a double earthquake-and-tsunami on Sulawesi last year.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/10 ... ad-injured

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's almost to the minute when I dreamed Krakatoa blew up again, but when I woke up I remembered that recently it really did, or at least collapsed. Cancel all bets.

Definitely seems to be magma shifting under Indonesia.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

(Learning to Fly)
Well the good ol' days may not return
And the rocks might melt and the sea may burn ...

"And the rocks might melt and the sea may burn" line was commented by Tom Petty, when he said, "That was inspired by the Gulf War. I remember that line about the rocks melting and the sea burning being directly inspired by seeing this whole thing on TV."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am 
Board Emeritus

:-o

Idaho’s new governor: ‘Climate change is real’

Less than two weeks after being sworn in as the 33rd governor of Idaho, Gov. Brad Little, a Republican, has broken with national party leaders on climate change, declaring unequivocally that the phenomenon is real.

In an address Jan. 16 at an event organized by the Idaho Environmental Forum, an association focused on discussing environmental policy in the state, Little bluntly told the gathered crowd, “Climate change is real.” In the stunned silence that followed his unexpected pronouncement, he went on to discuss how he’d seen Idaho’s seasons shift over his lifetime: “I mean, I’m old enough that I remember feeding cows all winter long in deep snow … boy, back in the old days when I was a kid, we had winters.”

https://www.hcn.org/articles/climate-ch ... ge-is-real

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next