RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

county info map saying its 3200acs 10% contained.

the pictures are mindlblowing. these, are the Sierra Nevada Mountains...now 99% Denuded.
stripped of all pines all tree growth. the people sat back and watched this happen.
the pols laid back and let this happen, all so you could have paper towels and they could
make profits.
you can see the lone pine here and there, which somehow survived the clear cutting.
this is fucked.

http://www.alertwildfire.org/sierra/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

that kind of tree loss all across a large mountain range which creates the weather going east...is akin
to the damage the mayans caused across centralAm causing the civilization killing droughts that
wiped them out.

you did this wallst. capitalism did this. capitalism is the downfall of merica and much of the planet.
capitalism is the looming drought.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

these pictures are why groper is in office. planted as a distraction from the Seriousness of
the Environmental Disaster the US has become. these pic show a fucking disaster but
look this way move along read some tweets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

county info map saying its 3200acs 10% contained.

the pictures are mindlblowing. these, are the Sierra Nevada Mountains...now 99% Denuded.
stripped of all pines all tree growth. the people sat back and watched this happen.
the pols laid back and let this happen, all so you could have paper towels and they could
make profits.
you can see the lone pine here and there, which somehow survived the clear cutting.
this is fucked.

Every bit of this is true. The fire blew up to 3200+ acres. I don't need to tell you that it's what fires do now. They go off like bombs. There were time lapses of the pyrocumulus. We never used to get pyrocumulus down here, now it's typical.

My understanding is that clear cutting became the normal procedure after the Koch Brothers bought Georgia Pacific. At least that's when I started hearing about its suddenly being allowed again.

Yup, no pines means worse fires. It sounds crazy, but that's how it is. We could have had billions of stately trees all making O2 for us, but no, a couple of assholes wanted more money, presumably for more mansions and bigger yachts.

You might to notice that I'm really pissed off today. This shit is out of control and we the people are the only ones who can stop it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hello Melissa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

wheres Sam....seems theres more fire in CA...

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ire-sylmar
Saddleridge fire explodes to 4,700 acres, burns 25 homes in San Fernando Valley--- Oct. 11, 2019
9:41 AM

A fast-moving brush fire continued its destructive march into the northern foothills of the San Fernando Valley on Friday, burning at least 25 homes, closing freeways and forcing thousands to flee.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

wheres Sam....seems theres more fire in CA...

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ire-sylmar
Saddleridge fire explodes to 4,700 acres, burns 25 homes in San Fernando Valley--- Oct. 11, 2019
9:41 AM

A fast-moving brush fire continued its destructive march into the northern foothills of the San Fernando Valley on Friday, burning at least 25 homes, closing freeways and forcing thousands to flee.

I dont want to give away his location but I think he is far from that spot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

sams fire...

https://fire.ca.gov/incidents/ Briceburg fire
30% of 4905 acres contained as of 7:26am

Sacramento Fire
‏ @SacFirePIO
16h16 hours ago
Members from Sacramento Fire assigned to strike team 4802C assisting on the #BriceburgFire have been safe and report that good progress has been made. The fire is 4,905 acres and 28% contained. Evacuation orders in place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

crowds around the earth.

Extinction Rebellion ⌛️ @ExtinctionR
Non-violent Rebellion against the governments of the world for climate and ecological justice: https://rebellion.earth/international-rebellion/

https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR

this is on-going.
https://rebellion.earth/international-rebellion/
International Rebellion

Begins Monday 7 October 2019

To governments of the world, we declared a Climate and Ecological Emergency. You did not do enough.

To everybody else, rebel.

10am, October 7th, 60 cities worldwide. See you on the streets.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hello Melissa

Here I sit in L.A. with the annual choke on the Santa Ana winds and run from the fires thing, though so far no fires are near here. I miss being in NYC and worrying about noreasters instead.

I'd noticed that this one had a name. Sort of reminds me of Nor'Ida more than Sandy.

Sam is several hundred miles from the Saddleridge Fire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

i know where sam lives. im wondering where he is today since that fire.. the briceburg fire.. is the one
near him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm here. It sounds like Vietnam, here.

Since about 8 am there have been four helicopters dipping from a pond about a hundred yards west of the house. Old Vietnam troop ships, whop whop, whop, all daylong. One hangs out above the house waiting for it's turn at the pond, whop whop, whop. At the pond, whop whop, whop

One of them has a bent rotor, it goes WHOP, WHOP, WHOP.

This is a good sign, they're mopping up. The highway reopened, and the evacuations and advisement's got lifted this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

good sam. seems whats burnable is now gone. good. i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

good sam. seems whats burnable is now gone. good. i guess.

Well, not quite. On the highway where my turn off is, and from the standpoint of what's under my feet that is also where my turn off is. The road goes up a side canyon past my place to the north, then winds around and climbs on a ridge which leads back toward the highway.

All of that slope is wooded, up that side canyon was a grove of old growth, drought killed it. It's a tangle below the road down in the gully. And still standing is about half of the pines and all of the oaks which were a vigorous healthy stand ten years ago.

So what it is, is my place is in the center of a small island of what is left of those Midpines. It surrounds me on all sides and and a fires path would be upward. Fires like that...

:|

I have a mile wide hedge around me to worry about, a flammable moat. It's getting harder for fires to start somewhere else and then come here. However a fire could start at the bottom of the gorge and climb up and out to get at me. On a windy day it could get going down there in the thicket and cover that distance to up here in a half hour.

When it got to the top it would continue up as an angry pryocumulus event, and spew fire up into the sky to rain down over the whole township.

I saw that happen one afternoon to the southwest of here, but still within view back in 2008. In three minuets a fire in the bottom got away from them on the third day of a fire, and it climbed mount Bullion to the top. Then beyond the top up into the sky. All of a sudden one fire became seven fires on both sides of me and one big one running off toward the north.

It was like whoosh. About five minutes after that happened firemen arrived and shooed me out of here for the following two weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:01 am 
Board Emeritus

:happy:

Applause at Global Summit as Ocasio-Cortez Calls Climate Crisis 'Consequence of Our Unsustainable Way of Life'

Freshman Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez advocated for a Global Green New Deal to combat the climate crisis that humanity has created with an "unsustainable way of life" during a speech that closed out the C40 World Mayors Summit in Copenhagen on Friday.

The New York congresswoman took her first trip abroad as an elected official to deliver the closing keynote address at the event organized by mayors of major cities around the world who are committed to taking ambitious climate action.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/ ... quence-our

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

sam...what you describe seems, now, to sound like a hellish situation. it was paradise, as was Paradise.
if you are surrounded by the only remaining trees then you are aware of the potential.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

WTF???? I'm from the hilly part of town. I know a L.A. brush fire when I smell one. It smells like, well, an L.A. brush fire. Can't mistake the smell.

The Saddleridge fire is about as far away from here as you can get and still be in L.A.. Even so, it has stunk up this place big time, and it smells different. It's a really toxic chemical smell, which makes your throat tighten up and your eyes burn. What the hell did that fire get into? Media, if they know, won't tell. They just say that if you have central heat, run the fan and filter the inside air. Tried that, made it worse.

Outdoor events were being cancelled all over the place. Didn't stop one, which was apparently a fireworks display, and a huge one, biggest one I've ever heard around here. Couldn't see where it was. It sounded more like a war.

Interesting. The city is on a red flag fire warning. The humidity measured at 3% yesterday. We're getting robocalls from the city warning us that there's no street parking in hilly neighborhoods, so the fire department can get in faster. Blowing off ten grand worth of fireworks seems like an odd thing to be doing. Well, this is L.A., so who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rains, tornado, earthquake: Typhoon Hagibis forecast to be Japan's worst in 6 decades

TOKYO — A heavy downpour and strong winds pounded Tokyo and surrounding areas on Saturday as a powerful typhoon forecast to be Japan's worst in six decades made landfall and passed over the capital, where streets, nearby beaches and train stations were long deserted.

Store shelves were bare after people stocked up on water and food ahead of Typhoon Hagibis. The Japan Meteorological Agency warned of dangerously heavy rainfall in Tokyo and surrounding prefectures, including Gunma, Saitama and Kanagawa, and later expanded the area to include Fukushima and Miyagi to the north. A coastal earthquake also rattled the area.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 957691002/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

WTF???? I'm from the hilly part of town. I know a L.A. brush fire when I smell one. It smells like, well, an L.A. brush fire. Can't mistake the smell.

The Saddleridge fire is about as far away from here as you can get and still be in L.A.. Even so, it has stunk up this place big time, and it smells different. It's a really toxic chemical smell, which makes your throat tighten up and your eyes burn. What the hell did that fire get into? Media, if they know, won't tell. They just say that if you have central heat, run the fan and filter the inside air. Tried that, made it worse.

Outdoor events were being cancelled all over the place. Didn't stop one, which was apparently a fireworks display, and a huge one, biggest one I've ever heard around here. Couldn't see where it was. It sounded more like a war.

Interesting. The city is on a red flag fire warning. The humidity measured at 3% yesterday. We're getting robocalls from the city warning us that there's no street parking in hilly neighborhoods, so the fire department can get in faster. Blowing off ten grand worth of fireworks seems like an odd thing to be doing. Well, this is L.A., so who knows?

fireworks.... :o :o

could the toxic smell come from the slurry they put on the fires....you know, since there are no "trees"
to suck up the carbon toxins and the burn off of the slurry has no place to be cleansed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

see, birds nest. they nest in "trees".
if they cant find "trees" they cant nest. they fly and they die.

ive seen so few birds across the west in recent, its been very noticeable.
coyotes and other critters get the bodies.

Birds Are Vanishing From North America - The New York Times
[Search domain www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/science/bird ... anada.html]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/scie ... anada.html
Sep 19, 2019 · The number of birds in the United States and Canada has fallen by 29 percent since 1970, scientists reported on Thursday. There are 2.9 billion fewer birds taking wing now than there were 50 years ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

a much better source.
ive not seen "deforestation" used yet...just 'habitat loss'..which of course is DEFORESTATION.

thorough article. links and charts.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180973178/
North America Has Lost Nearly 3 Billion Birds Since 1970
The staggering population loss of 29 percent of North American birds could signal an ecological crisis
Grassland birds, such as meadowlarks and grasshopper sparrows, took the biggest hit. They’ve lost 700 million individuals across 31 species, equivalent to a 53 percent population loss since 1970. Forest-dwelling birds, which are more abundant, lost one billion individuals. Shorebirds, which traverse across full hemispheres during migration, are “experiencing consistent, steep populations loss” at a rate of 37 percent in less than 50 years.
Famed 20th century ornithologist Roger Tory Peterson called birds “an ecological litmus paper.” They are crucial to the health of many ecosystems, and their populations anticipate the health of whole environments.
“Birds are at the top of the food web,” Sillett says. “Birds are the sentinel. If you have huge declines of birds, it tells you something is amiss.”

Other organisms on Earth are experiencing similar losses. We’re facing an “insect apocalypse,” and amphibians are declining at an “alarming and rapid rate.”

Scientists do know what birds are up against, however, with habitat loss identified as the biggest damager. Climate change, disrupted migration patterns and pesticide use are also major factors. All in all, birds are likely being hit with a several threats at once. no "trees".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

fireworks.... :o :o

could the toxic smell come from the slurry they put on the fires....you know, since there are no "trees"
to suck up the carbon toxins and the burn off of the slurry has no place to be cleansed.

They did drop a lot of retardant, but mostly at ridge tops without much vegetation. The idea is to let the fire go uphill, where it's pretty much unstoppable, and then stop it at the top. It works, as long as they can put out the spot fires when the 60 MPH winds drop embers a mile downwind.

This stuff does go right into the environment. I'll have to read up on what happens then.

One small clue... the fire got into an enormous peat yard. They had the stuff piled up in huge mounds. Peat burns with a lazy flame and smokes a lot. I wonder what's in the stuff besides decayed organic material and your occasional traces of heavy metals.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wait, remind me, who called Republicans mass murderers, who called Trump a mass murderer, who said there was nothing they wouldn’t do

Zowie

Every time I come Here on my iPhone it wants me to open up this site on an app does anyone use an app to use this site on their phone?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Strong Earthquake Damages Buildings in Southern Philippines

A strong, shallow earthquake shook parts of the southern Philippines Wednesday, injuring at least one person at a shopping mall.

The U.S. Geological Survey rated the temblor at 6.4 magnitude. It was centered about 5 miles from Columbio town in Sultan Kudarat province, southwest of Davao City.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-10-1 ... hilippines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1024 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41