RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

While I doubt a public pillory of Facebook would accomplish much, I don't really what happens to that gang of thieves. People tell me that I should cut Zuckerberg slack because his behavior in Congress looks like he's on the autism spectrum.

I don't care about the autism spectrum. I don't discriminate for that.

I care about the asshole spectrum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:04 am 
Policy Wonk

While I doubt a public pillory of Facebook would accomplish much, I don't really what happens to that gang of thieves. People tell me that I should cut Zuckerberg slack because his behavior in Congress looks like he's on the autism spectrum.

I don't care about the autism spectrum. I don't discriminate for that.

I care about the asshole spectrum.

You probably know more about Zuckerberg than I do. I don't know anything about his personal life, nor do I wish to know about him. He is the founder and CEO of Facebook. That makes him responsible.

As to the question of whether raising awareness about his conduct will make a difference, all I can say is that it should.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

They even made a movie about it. I most certainly don't believe everything I see in the movies, but the Winklevoss legal case is public record. Anyone who can make you feel sorry for those two overprivileged airhead twins has gotta be pretty bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Social Network isn't a documentary. I usually check non-documentaries against what can be found in the actual historical record.

So yeah, the film does portray Zuckerberg as a massive dick, going back to his college days. The thing is, a lot of that checks out against the word of people who actually knew him.

That he screwed over those jock twins ... yeah, they are not very sympathetic. It's how Zuck treated women, treated Sean Parker (ok, on the deserving part of the spectrum, we can debate that), treated former friends, screwed over other people in building Facebook ... that's the stuff that's really disturbing.

Though it isn't a documentary, you can check out these portrayals. Thing is, it seems to be spot on.

Of course, when you read about most of the Silly-Con billionaires and their behavior, the horrible way Steve Jobs treated his own daughter Lisa, etc., you realize ... Zuck just fit himself into a mold. I can respect that Jobs was a genius and a visionary and that's why they lured him back to Apple. But let's be honest - in many ways, as you also can observe from recent films, which are not documentaries, but can be checked against the record ... he was an asshole.

P.S. just heard some stuff about Elon Musk and his factories, this morning, that reminds me he fits this mold - as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

A close relative was a classmate of Divya Narendra, the other person instrumental in developing the Harvard Connection. From what I can tell, he's just moved on from the affair.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

I wondered earlier what Zeynep Tufekci might think of FB's new Koch-funded initative to study itself. Or something.

It's not ZT, but the Chronicle carried this, today

WHY INTERNET SCHOLARS ARE CALLING OUT FACEBOOK FOR RESTRICTING ACCESS TO ITS DATA

Quote:
The scholars will not be able to publish that information, but they will learn what the company will and won’t share with outside researchers and, presumably, why. They will then serve as a filter, meting out the data to researchers whose projects will seek to answer one question: How have social media influenced democracy?

Those announcements may sound like welcome changes to social-media users worried about their privacy. User data will be less accessible to outside companies and researchers who may have nefarious intentions, but trustworthy scholars will still be able to tap into the endless trove of information.

RELATED CONTENT
Facebook Says It Will Help Academics Use Its Data. Here’s How That’s Supposed to Work.
That’s the theory, at least. But some scholars of the internet say the new restrictions are actually a problem.
A group of those scholars last month published an open letter sounding the alarm. They also created a document listing research papers that would not exist, they say, under the new restrictions Facebook has imposed on the use of its data.

The Chronicle recently spoke to the author of the letter, Axel Bruns, a professor of communication and media studies at the Queensland University of Technology, in Brisbane, Australia. Bruns is also president of the Association of Internet Researchers. The interview has been edited for clarity and length.

More in link

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Lawmakers Release Trove of More Than 3,500 Russian-Backed Facebook Ads - Bloomberg

Quote:
The ads, which are one of the clearest demonstrations of Russia’s financial investment in disrupting American politics, have been much discussed by Congress, Facebook and Special Counsel Robert Mueller behind closed doors.

For some lawmakers, they raised questions about whether Russia was successful in swaying public opinion, in Trump’s favor or otherwise. For Facebook, the ads deepen the reckoning over the company’s responsibility in society, and especially in elections.

The 3,519 ads, released Thursday by Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, were posted between 2015 and 2017. They were designed to draw clicks from people who had liked Facebook groups on both sides of emotional issues involving gun regulations, Muslims, gay rights, immigration, African-Americans -- and various candidates.

Wonder how many so-called radicals, Jill Stein supporters, and Bernieville residents were sent these ads and clicked on them. :? :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

The 3rd quarter 2017, in a .rar archive, is half a gig right there.