Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Report: Steny Hoyer encouraged Democrat to leave congressional race

Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer, the second highest-ranking Democrat in the House of Representatives, encouraged a progressive congressional candidate to end his campaign, according to The Intercept.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-ste ... onal-race/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Since this is a retread of a January 15th thread titled: Hoyer Admits Trying To Rig A Colorado Congressional Race:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21988

I'll retread my post from that original thread and save myself all that typing:

This video is on topic. Levi Tillemann mentioned above is one the original innovators, and holds some of the patents for it's design.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

By comparison Jason Crow is not nearly as interesting. Nor is he likely to be as intelligent. But I can see why the state party has picked him over Tillemann. While it might be true that in 2016 Hillary beat Trump 50.2% to 41.3%, Mike Coffman (R) beat Morgan Carroll (D) 50.9% to 42.6%.

That district is up for grabs in 2018, and it was up for grabs in 2016. What happened in 2016?

Morgan Carroll was a strong candidate, and like Levi Tillemann she's very smart, very liberal. She served as President of the Colorado State Senate from 2013 to 2014 and as minority leader in 2015. She's got everything in order. What went wrong?

I expect what went wrong is:

She "was endorsed by Democratic Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper, Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice America, EMILY's List, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and the League of Conservation Voters. A super PAC called Immigrant Voters Wins supported her, spending $10,000 as of September 2016. Carroll raised the majority of her contributions from individual donors." -wiki

That's a lot of things to have wrong if one wants to win an election in a district like the Colorado 6th. The perfect candidate to win a primary there, but one who will lose in the general election. :(

On the other hand what might be right about Jason Crow?

Denver attorney, combat veteran Jason Crow launches Democratic challenge to Mike Coffman
https://coloradopolitics.com/denver-att ... e-coffman/

Quote:
Democrat Jason Crow, a Denver attorney and decorated Army Ranger veteran, announced Tuesday he’s running against U.S. Rep. Mike Coffman in the battleground 6th Congressional District in next year’s election.

“As a combat veteran and father of young children, I’m running for Congress because our political system is broken, and we’re not going to solve our problems with the same politicians and same thinking that got us here,” Crow said in a statement.

“I have always gone to where the fight is — and I believe that our most important fight is right here in the 6th District, especially when it comes to standing up to President Trump and fighting for Colorado values,” Crow said.

I've never lived in that district, but I've lived both below and above it, north and south. I've known a bunch of veterans who do live there. I knew a bunch of cadets who came from there too. I think Jason Crow will sound more interesting to them than Levi Tillemann.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:27 am 
Board Emeritus

And now he has his own primary challenger.

https://www.dennislfritz.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:14 am 
Board Emeritus

And now he has his own primary challenger.

https://www.dennislfritz.com/

I see that. I tried to look him up and in the process I saw that old Steny Hoyer is getting kind of old. I also noticed that in 2014 Hoyer said bad things about pot legalization, that's kind of irritating. :|

I found out Dennis Fritz has run against Hoyer before, in 2014. That time Fritz was running as an independent not as a Democrat. I tried to look up how well he did but found that the vote totals didn't list him by name, only as others. Others may include others, in total others got 562 votes, Hoyer got 144,725, some Republican got 80,752.

I tried to look Fritz up and that was kind of frustrating, other than his web site and a free YouTube video all I could find was one article which did mention his previous run against Hoyer but every thing it mentioned about him was in one sentence.

This was all it had: "In the race for Maryland’s fifth congressional district seat, Rep. Steny Hoyer,78, will run again. He has served in Congress since the early 1980s. In the Democratic primary, he’ll be opposed by Dennis Fritz, who ran against him as an independent in 2014. Republicans Johnny Rice and William A. Devine III also have filed, along with Libertarian candidate Jacob Pulcher."

http://www.capitalgazette.com/bowie_bla ... story.html

I also found a letter to the editor at the New York Times:

"Frankly, in the wake of District of Columbia v. Heller, I don’t see how any meaningful gun control could be enacted without a repeal of the Second Amendment. Heller elevated the right to own a gun to such a high level, it is right up there with freedom of speech and the right to due process. Even the most mild, seemingly sensible gun control measures can now be challenged on constitutional grounds, with a high probability of success. Heller created such an impregnable shield around the Second Amendment that tearing it out root and branch seems like the only way. — Dennis Fritz"

One thing to be aware of if you try to look Fritz up is there's another Dennis Fritz who is kind of famous. That "Dennis Fritz, along with co-defendant Ron Williamson, was convicted in 1988, in Pontotoc County, Oklahoma, of the murder of Debra Sue Carter. Her body had been found six years earlier. Fritz was sentenced to life in prison. Williamson was sent to death row."

He was later exonerated by DNA evidence and was freed after 12 years in prison. Grim. John Grisham wrote a book about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: Establishment Democrats need to let the primary process play out and let the people decide who they want their candidate to be, not Steny "friggin" Hoyer, Nancy Pelosi or Tom Perez.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just a question.

When the DCCC endorses and supports the more moderate candidate in the primary (which is not always the case, as I've said, but we'll stick to this argument), that's interference with the voters' will, right?

But when Our Revolution endorses the progressive, or just OR-identified (because I agree sometimes we can debate how progressive their picks really are), candidate, from their POV, that is not interference and leaving it up to the voters to decide?

What's the difference?

Outside organizations make endorsements. Is it only wrong if the organization is connected to the party itself?

The party may favor the candidate that in their past history has made the most effort to build up the party organization and support other party candidates. What's wrong with that?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
Just a question.

When the DCCC endorses and supports the more moderate candidate in the primary (which is not always the case, as I've said, but we'll stick to this argument), that's interference with the voters' will, right?

But when Our Revolution endorses the progressive, or just OR-identified (because I agree sometimes we can debate how progressive their picks really are), candidate, from their POV, that is not interference and leaving it up to the voters to decide?

What's the difference?

Outside organizations make endorsements. Is it only wrong if the organization is connected to the party itself?

The party may favor the candidate that in their past history has made the most effort to build up the party organization and support other party candidates. What's wrong with that?

:arrow: There is a difference between the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee who is there to support the eventual Democratic candidate in the general election to the US House and outside groups like Our Revolution, Emily's List or Howie Klein's Blue America, who are supporting their own specific candidate and their own agenda. The DCCC or the Party's Congressional leadership should not be telling anyone to get out of a primary race, or threaten to withhold funding for their campaign if they stay in.

If I were a candidate who has the backing of Our Revolution or Blue America and I win the primary, I would also expect that because I'm running as a Democrat, that I recieve welcomed support from the DCCC. That often doesn't happen after all, so it's a good thing that there are these groups like Our Revolution. I wouldn't expect support from Emily's List if I wasn't a female Democratic candidate. I don't think maxing out on political donations to a Party qualifies one as the best candidate out there~

The DCCC Should Only Fight Republicans And Stop Picking Losers In Primaries

<snip>

The most important question to be asking is why the DCCC keeps interfering in primaries when their candidates often lose, at least in part because Democratic voters hate the DCCC and their interference. In Texas they-- and their allies-- heavily backed slick establishment creep Jay Hulings, who spent $554,903 while dedicated Berniecrat Rick Treviño spent around $20,000. Treviño came in second and proceeds to the May 22 runoff. Hulings spent the most and came in 4th. Crappy DCCC candidates keep losing. But the committee refuses to look at the evidence that Democratic grassroots voters don't want them picking corrupt conservatives as nominees. The DCCC is interfering, very heavily, in CO-06, CA-39, NY-24 and AZ-02 and that interference appears to be losing the races for their crap conservative candidates.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

The DCCC or the Party's Congressional leadership should not be telling anyone to get out of a primary race, or threaten to withhold funding for their campaign if they stay in.

How far would you take that rule? What if one of the candidates running in a primary as a Democrat is a Larouchian, a Klansman, or a neo-Nazi?

Tell you what. Would you at least accept if they can't tell that candidate not to run in the primary, they withhold endorsement and support? (Republicans did that to Art Jones and Patrick Little.)

BTW, if the person's not objectionable like that in some fundamental way, I definitely agree with you they shouldn't tell them to drop out of the race. I'm not sure I agree with you they have to give every candidate in a primary, if there's 8 candidates, equal levels of support during the primary.

I guess I just don't see a problem if they favor a person they think is most likely to win (even if they're wrong), or if they favor a person who has been a good party loyalist and stalwart that helps other Democrats win and legislate (and btw, that goes beyond merely fundraising.)

Should they tell others to drop out - if they're not completely objectionable. Yeah, I think that's wrong.

If a progressive person in that district is the most likely person to win, and a good party stalwart, and they make the same primary pick as Blue America (it happens) ... would you be OK with that, then?

Quote:
That often doesn't happen after all,

Got examples of when it does? I ask because I don't know of any.

Quote:
at least in part because Democratic voters hate the DCCC

I don't.

Cue accusations of being a DINO, and all the usual epithets.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Our revolution is going to elect republicans.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Our revolution is going to elect republicans.

I don't think so, they aren't winning their primaries. If they won those primaries then they would elect Republicans.

They did win one primary in Idaho, but it doesn't matter and I'm not counting it because the Republican would win there no matter what.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Democrats have it too good to shoot themselves in the foot
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 49fffabe41

[snip][end]

Midterm elections are also part local. There are 435 House contests, and obviously no cookie-cutter candidate or campaign will suit all of them.

Democrats should worry less about whether a given primary candidate is progressive or centrist and more about whether he or she can connect with voters in that particular district. Period.

Stop fretting about possible battles next year. Remember that an ideological debate within a House majority isn’t a problem. It’s a byproduct of winning.

[snip][end]

Here's to you, Mr Robinson.