What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Re: Stop Calling the Cops on Us

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:50 pm
Nobody says BLM to get the goat of ignorant racists...POINTING out it that it HAPPENS to drive them crazy has nothing to do with why I or any non racist says it...

But I dont have to say this to anyone who is having an honest conversation...I hadnt even thought of how much her comment was true until she said it.

Any other 3 words no problem, anything but THOSE 3 words...

If I yelled

"White people are not superior to anyone!"

would I be "getting their goat?" or whoever it is you think goat was got?

Obviously the "ding ding ding" was my realization of just how much RACISTS hate to hear the truth...
"All lives matter," "your life matters," "black lives splatter," white lives matter," and the rest are all born of the same kneejerk impulse. All it is is white backlash.

There are tons and tons and tons of historical parallels. We can count on them go into this tired old dance every time there is a Black-led civil rights movement that criticizes the institutions and structures that give them unearned socioeconomic handouts.

Stop calling the cops on us.

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

NYPD suspends officer who allegedly used chokehold on unarmed Black man in Queens

A police officer has been suspended after being accused of using a chokehold common in mixed-martial arts to take down a Black man who was unarmed, as depicted in video footage that surfaced Sunday on social media.

According to a police source, the arrest took place 8:45 a.m. on June 21 on the Rockaway Boardwalk at Beach 131st Street, and a man can be seen on video being held to the ground before being hoisted up and led to a squad car.

https://qns.com/story/2020/06/21/see-it ... black-man/

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Is this the right thread to put the DAILY killings of POC or the daily beatings?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN23X0MX

Fired Miami Gardens police officer charged for putting knee on Black woman's neck

(Reuters) - A former Miami Gardens police officer was charged on Thursday with battery and misconduct after a video surfaced showing him pressing his knee on a Black woman’s neck and tasing her stomach, while she kept screaming, U.S. media reports said.

Jordi Martel, 30, was charged with official misconduct for filing two reports with false details about the incident that took place outside a striptease club on Jan. 14, State Attorney Katherine Rundle told a press conference.

Martel and another officer, Jaiver Castano, were fired last week, although Miami Gardens Police Department has not said why they were dismissed, according to the Miami Herald newspaper.

The video of the incident, filmed by a bystander, showed Martel dragging Safiya Satchell, 33, out of her car and subsequently forcing her down on a grass verge by the roadside.

The video clip showed Martel stunned her twice with a Taser, a weapon that delivers an electric shock. Another officer held Satchell’s arm as she struggled to free herself.
And then this, there is not enough hours in the day to put up the links, go to DU and see

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213662849

Motor City
Policy Wonk

Post by Motor City »

Sometimes they call themselves on people

He was arrested because of a computer error. Now he wants to fix the system.
...…..While Williams was in custody, a DPD officer showed him an image taken from Shinola surveillance footage of a Black man in a red cap.
"He turns over this picture and says, 'So that’s not you?' I laughed a little bit, because it looked nothing like me, and said, 'Nope, that's not me,'" he said. The officer presented two more pictures — neither of Williams. "So I guess the computer got it wrong, too," Williams remembers the officer saying.

It was the officer's offhand remark about the computer that let Robert and Melissa Williams start to understand what had happened, along with the couple's decision to reach out to the ACLU, and their ability to hire a defense attorney.

technology that falsely accuses innocent people for the police
When the Detroit Police Department called Robert Williams, he thought it was a prank.

The voice on the other end of the line told Williams to turn himself in at the DPD's Third Precinct. Why? The cop wouldn't say.
"I can’t turn myself in if you can’t tell me," Williams recalls saying. "I said, 'If you want me, you can come to my house and bring a warrant.'"

But it was late in his work day, and Williams was disturbed enough to head home, calling his wife, Melissa, as he drove. When she answered, the cops were already there.

What Williams didn't know on that day back in January is that he had been misidentified by the Detroit Police Department's controversial facial recognition technology as a shoplifter who allegedly stole five watches from Midtown's trendy Shinola store in October 2018, making him the first person known to have been arrested because of a facial recognition failure..........

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

AI may not be racist (they're also not sentient), but the coders who write the software algorithms have implicit biases and blindspots.

There seems to be a strange problem where facial recognition systems are more likely to misrecognize darker and female faces.

The funny thing, this keeps happening so often, I suspect it's not a bug, it's a feature. I don't mean racist programmers are writing the software to do this intentionally ... but it does keep happening. As I said, more like a persistent way of miscoding facial recognition software.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:50 pm
AI may not be racist (they're also not sentient), but the coders who write the software algorithms have implicit biases and blindspots.

There seems to be a strange problem where facial recognition systems are more likely to misrecognize darker and female faces.

The funny thing, this keeps happening so often, I suspect it's not a bug, it's a feature. I don't mean racist programmers are writing the software to do this intentionally ... but it does keep happening. As I said, more like a persistent way of miscoding facial recognition software.
I am looking for something to watch...just cant get into Doom Patrol or Watchmen, maybe i will, and I started SILICON VALLEY again, having loved it first time. I am really enjoying it, now I dont know if the terms they use are all accurate as to coders, but it is fun to listen to it.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ProfessorX wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Much of what make features on a face are shadow lines beneath and to the sides of the cheek bones nose and eyebrows. The lighter skin a subject has the more those lit contrast features stand out. Thus a program picking them out will make a better ID.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

I don't believe that's a sufficient explanation for why these programs have more problems with women of color, including Asian women.

Black and Asian faces misidentified more often by facial recognition software
Microsoft Corp. had almost 10 times more false positives for women of colour than men of colour
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/faci ... -1.5403899

There's a coding problem that's deeper than what you just said. And again, it's interesting, as it's widespread.
Malaclypse the Younger

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

Sam Lefthand wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:23 pm
Much of what make features on a face are shadow lines beneath and to the sides of the cheek bones nose and eyebrows. The lighter skin a subject has the more those lit contrast features stand out. Thus a program picking them out will make a better ID.
Nah, that's b.s.

Lit by what kind of light. It's not simply a calibration issue, though. It's a longstanding who's-the-crook issue.

Tomes have been written on this problem over the past decade or so. But now that these technologies are actually being implemented in real time and in real private & public situations, it's going to be those who will never be affected by it that will as usual be the ones justifying their use.

We could never count on them anyway. :|

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

i remember when we were worried about the first of the cameras going up, now this.

Ya, John likes playing on the edge of the abyss. Still, he has good points........
(9:00 minutes in is the black and white issue.)

Finger prints have come a long way in solving crimes............
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

Motor City
Policy Wonk

Post by Motor City »

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:29 am
i remember when we were worried about the first of the cameras going up, now this.

Ya, John likes playing on the edge of the abyss. Still, he has good points........
(9:00 minutes in is the black and white issue.)

Finger prints have come a long way in solving crimes............
Law enforcement and tech co. oversurveillance of protesters is unrelated to solving crimes.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Yep, these facial recognition systems are notoriously bad at misidentifying minorities, and BTW they're increasingly being used to (mis?)identify people at protests for SUSPICION of being involved in looting or rioting ... please note the difference between that and actually doing it ... because a camera simply may have caught them at the wrong place, at the wrong time, even though they had nothing to do with crimes going on at that moment.

Yep, what could go wrong? I ask, rhetorically.

Fingerprints and DNA are marvelous crime-solving tools, although in the latter case there have been some infamous lab/sample problems. The problem with facial recognition is that this misidentification of minorities issue is so widespread, it's almost looking more like feature than bug.

It is why some Big Tech companies are starting to pull out of working on it, and cooperating with LE/gubmint.
Malaclypse the Younger

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

ProfessorX wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 am
Yep, these facial recognition systems are notoriously bad at misidentifying minorities, and BTW they're increasingly being used to (mis?)identify people at protests for SUSPICION of being involved in looting or rioting ... please note the difference between that and actually doing it ... because a camera simply may have caught them at the wrong place, at the wrong time, even though they had nothing to do with crimes going on at that moment.

Yep, what could go wrong? I ask, rhetorically.

Fingerprints and DNA are marvelous crime-solving tools, although in the latter case there have been some infamous lab/sample problems. The problem with facial recognition is that this misidentification of minorities issue is so widespread, it's almost looking more like feature than bug.

It is why some Big Tech companies are starting to pull out of working on it, and cooperating with LE/gubmint.
Initially, finger prints and DNA had the same kind of problems. They've perfected them over time, and they will do the same for facial recognition. If it's used to solve crimes, fine. As Oliver notes at the end of the video i posted the problem is in the oversight. There is none.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

bradman wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am
the problem is in the oversight. There is none.
The problem also seems to be in how this software is coded. Oliver also touched on that, as have I. Whether these coding problems are inadvertent or resulting from something else, they need to be fixed.

BTW, the problem I have with the red light cams was always this: you may know I occasionally do a quasi-Luddite dance around problems of AI and automation. Well, this is another area. The problem with those cams is they photograph your plate, and you get your fine in the mail. The whole system is automated. There is no human in the loop for example let's say you had a pregnant wife, it's 3 AM, you have to rush her to the hospital to deliver ... should you still get a ticket for running that red light? When you leave LE to AI, there's no human to appeal to for compassionate/contextual exemptions.
Malaclypse the Younger

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:56 am
The problem also seems to be in how this software is coded. Oliver also touched on that, as have I. Whether these coding problems are inadvertent or resulting from something else, they need to be fixed.

BTW, the problem I have with the red light cams was always this: you may know I occasionally do a quasi-Luddite dance around problems of AI and automation. Well, this is another area. The problem with those cams is they photograph your plate, and you get your fine in the mail. The whole system is automated. There is no human in the loop for example let's say you had a pregnant wife, it's 3 AM, you have to rush her to the hospital to deliver ... should you still get a ticket for running that red light? When you leave LE to AI, there's no human to appeal to for compassionate/contextual exemptions.
Are you a coder, at all? I am fascinated by it, just watched Silicon Valley again.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

ProfessorX wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:56 am

Regarding red light cameras, I find there are very few reasons justifying running a red light. From my understanding, just like any other driving ticket you can contest the ticket in court but your chances are probably low of getting it cancelled.
When you vote Left you vote right.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Red light cameras took the fun out of driving for me.

I have a history with racing and have owned cars that are fun, fast to drive. Did some short track stuff, mostly as a mechanic but a little driving.

Now I dont like to drive because I am constantly second guessing myself, is it red? Is it green? I am also noticing here and there "cant turn right here on red", so at all lights I am looking to see if there is one of those.

Ruined it for me.

I can look at the light, see that it is green but if I am thinking about something else or listening to XM about how the GOP and traitor are trying to kill me, I will have to look several times to make sure what the light is.

I have never been ticketed for running a light and I dont think I have ever run one, sober.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 pm
Red light cameras took the fun out of driving for me.

I have a history with racing and have owned cars that are fun, fast to drive. Did some short track stuff, mostly as a mechanic but a little driving.

Now I dont like to drive because I am constantly second guessing myself, is it red? Is it green? I am also noticing here and there "cant turn right here on red", so at all lights I am looking to see if there is one of those.

Ruined it for me.

I can look at the light, see that it is green but if I am thinking about something else or listening to XM about how the GOP and traitor are trying to kill me, I will have to look several times to make sure what the light is.

I have never been ticketed for running a light and I dont think I have ever run one, sober.
I've driven faster than most Americans ever have but that was on the Autobahn in Germany getting up to 120-130 mph in a German spec Mercedes. I learned defensive driving in high school in the late 60s and I still follow those lessons. I'm always careful at intersections with a light because you never know when some fool decides to run one. When stopped at a red light and it turns green, I wait about two seconds looking left, right, and left again to make sure the intersection is clear.

Since you mentioned XM radio, did you know you can get it online in your home at no extra cost?

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:42 pm
I've driven faster than most Americans ever have but that was on the Autobahn in Germany getting up to 120-130 mph in a German spec Mercedes. I learned defensive driving in high school in the late 60s and I still follow those lessons. I'm always careful at intersections with a light because you never know when some fool decides to run one. When stopped at a red light and it turns green, I wait about two seconds looking left, right, and left again to make sure the intersection is clear.

Since you mentioned XM radio, did you know you can get it online in your home at no extra cost?
I get it online as part of my contract, it is included if you pay for the car radio.

They drastically raised the price for internet only, I found out recently. Are you referring to another way?

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Libertas wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58 am
Are you a coder, at all? I am fascinated by it, just watched Silicon Valley again.
The last programming language I took, and this will date me, of course, is Pascal. In junior high. I also have used AppleScript and HyperTalk, though I don't know if those count as programming languages.

I actually know enough UNIX to do some stuff in the Console on a Mac, a lot of people don't even know it exists, but you can get to it through Utilities. There is a line prompt hiding under the GUI, if you want to mess with it. (Believe it or not, in OS X, what's lurking under the Quartz GUI shell is basically a fork of BSD-UNIX).
Malaclypse the Younger

marindem01
Policy Wonk

Post by marindem01 »

San Francisco Police End Common Practice of Releasing Suspect Booking Mugshots.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/ ... -mugshots/.
"The Clouded Mind See's Nothing", The Shadow.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm
The last programming language I took, and this will date me, of course, is Pascal. In junior high. I also have used AppleScript and HyperTalk, though I don't know if those count as programming languages.

I actually know enough UNIX to do some stuff in the Console on a Mac, a lot of people don't even know it exists, but you can get to it through Utilities. There is a line prompt hiding under the GUI, if you want to mess with it. (Believe it or not, in OS X, what's lurking under the Quartz GUI shell is basically a fork of BSD-UNIX).
:rw) :rw)

Not a single clue :rw) :rw)

I remember seeing commercials on TV and this weird thing at the bottom of the screen

get more information at www.dowchemicalkills.com

I guess I am remembering the 90's when I had no clue what the internet was.
Last edited by Libertas on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:44 pm
I get it online as part of my contract, it is included if you pay for the car radio.

They drastically raised the price for internet only, I found out recently. Are you referring to another way?
I was referring to if you pay for them for your car radio then you can get them online for free. I found that out two weeks ago when I had to contact them about not receiving the signal in my car radio. The problem wasn't with SIrius/XM but with my radio but the service rep told me about receiving their channels online.