Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/ ... emo-595129

Judge is Reagan appointee, is he a Clarence Thomas clone? Will he try and derail the entire investigation as such?

I dont know, I am asking. I have a bad feeling though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._S._Ellis_III

Quote:
Special counsel Robert Mueller appears to have provided a federal judge with an unredacted version of the Justice Department memo laying out the scope of his investigation and the potential crimes he's authorized to pursue.

However, the memo — long sought after by President Donald Trump's allies on Capitol Hill, who regularly accuse Mueller of overstepping his bounds — remains classified and not public, leaving its details hidden.

The document was filed as an "unredacted memorandum" under seal with the U.S. District Court's Eastern District of Virginia, where Mueller is expected to try former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort on bank fraud charges.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Don't worry about the judge, T.S. Ellis too much.

He's well known for scolding prosecutors and then supporting them, and upholding the law in a no nonsense way. Law blog folks talk about him quite a bit. Overall he's considered to be a pretty good judge. But he's a funny guy who has handled a lot of national security cases which involve secrets. He's not known for leaking what is brought before him.

This is one example of his view on leakers from an old article in Lawfare:

Quote:
In a 2009 hearing in the so-called “AIPAC” leak case, Judge T.S. Ellis III memorably presented his view that there is an indispensable requirement for whistleblowers who unlawfully disclose classified information to answer in court for their actions.

"I don't have a problem with people doing that [leaking classified information] if they are held accountable for it," Judge Ellis said at the time. "One might hope that, for example, someone might have the courage to do something that would break the law if it meant they're the savior of the country. But then one has to take the consequences, because the rule of law is so important…. Disclosing it was okay if the person is willing to stand up and say, 'I did it. Give me the consequences’."

https://www.lawfareblog.com/secrets-and ... ahul-sagar

That is why I said he's a funny guy. I don't think Ellis will want to be handed the consequences, so I don't think he'll leak Mueller's stuff to the administration. :|

From another article:

Quote:
More controversially, the Bush Administration also indicted Rosen and Weissman, third parties who had received rather than disclosed the classified information, with conspiracy to violate § 793(e). In 2006, Judge T.S. Ellis, III of the Eastern District of Virginia rejected Rosen and Weissman's First Amendment and Due Process Clause challenges to their Espionage Act indictments, holding that the statute was neither unconstitutionally vague nor overbroad. Ellis did, however, require the government to prove not only that the information Rosen and Weissman received and intended to pass on was classified, but that it was in fact potentially harmful to American national interests. See United States v. Rosen, 445 F.Supp.2d 602 (E.D. Va. 2006). In part of because of this and other pretrial setbacks, the government ultimately dropped the charges against Rosen and Weissman in 2009.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/explainer-e ... osecutions

That's a pretty good example of fair and no nonsense.

If Mueller has factual evidence rather than suspicion his case should go fine. Ellis will toss a case if someone tries to bring a case based on suspicion as he did in Wikimedia v NSA. Here's his ruling on that case: https://www.aclu.org/legal-document/wik ... md-opinion

There's some similarity with the motions which the judge was dealing with for this Wikimedia case and the motion in Mueller's case. The difference is that Mueller more than likely has his case based on factual evidence, where as the Wikimedia plaintiff lawyers were trying to base theirs on suspension. In reading that ruling I found a sense that Ellis is a fair no nonsense judge.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Since he is a Reagan appointee he will go by the law, no worries. Whatever he rules it will be according to the law the way it is written. Not the way a partisan judge would decide to interpret it to fit their personal bias.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Since he is a Reagan appointee he will go by the law, no worries. Whatever he rules it will be according to the law the way it is written. Not the way a partisan judge would decide to interpret it to fit their personal bias.

Glen that's a bit much. A stretch like would break a rubber band.

Need I mention Bork Bork Bork!

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

A bit thick. A bit rich.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Some of the Reagan appointees sucked. :|

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Or the Republican-appointed Supremes that handed the 2000 election to Bush, then said that the decision could not be used as a precedent - some that has never been done before, as I recall.

Admittedly, I did not come up with the phrase, but I'm nearly positive that I got it from one of my white nationalist buddies. It just fits so well.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Or the Republican-appointed Supremes that handed the 2000 election to Bush, then said that the decision could not be used as a precedent - some that has never been done before, as I recall.

Yes! Reagan's Supreme Court appointees had a hand in that.

That's why I answered Glen's horse blanket statement post with the Swedish Chef (Bork Bork Bork) blowing up the kitchen. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 am 
Board Emeritus

That is another libetal lie. Fact is we dont know who won Florida. Had CBS not called it befote the polls closed or had Al Gote Jr won his home state there never would have been any controversy.

As for the vote count it depends on how you do the counting.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Since he is a Reagan appointee he will go by the law, no worries.

Yep...those Obama appointees are a bunch of unscrupulous law braking judges who can't be trusted.

And those Clinton appointees...they eat dead babies.

WTF is wrong with you?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wait, you're serious.

:o

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wait, you're serious.

:o

I’m not sure if he was serious or not. The level of man-crush Glen has for the Great Prevaricator is pretty high but it is possible he was being sarcastic.

Then again...

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus