Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Five Things You Can Do Right Now to Stand Up for Voting Rights

Ohio Republicans have been attacking voting rights for years, and a 5–4 decision Monday by the U.S. Supreme Court upheld our state’s aggressive voter purging policies, which have removed millions of lawfully registered voters from the rolls at the direction of our GOP secretary of state, Jon Husted.

This isn’t a defeat. It’s a call to action. Here’s what you can do to fight back:

https://medium.com/@ohdems/five-things- ... 3a9bf88b43

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:57 pm 
Policy Wonk

Michigan uses controversial voter registration check

Quote:
A federal judge on Friday blocked an Indiana voter registration law which would allow the state to immediately strike voters from the electoral rolls based on data from the controversial Interstate Crosscheck system, used by Michigan and dozens of other states.

The Interstate Crosscheck system is run by the Kansas Secretary of State. Other states send in their voter data and Kansas processes it, then notifies them if there are any possible matches. Matches can occur when people move to a new state and register to vote there without cancelling their previous registration. In 2017, 28 states participated and 7.2 million potential matches were identified.

However, the system is not perfect. In 2014, Idaho officials incorrectly purged more than 750 voters from the electoral rolls based on faulty Crosscheck data. A study conducted by the New Hampshire Secretary of State found that out of 94,610 potential matches identified by the system for the state, 94,468 were not of concern. The remaining 142 are under investigation.

Researchers from Stanford University concluded in a study that in Iowa, “one of Crosscheck’s proposed purging strategies would eliminate about 300 registrations used to cast a seemingly legitimate vote for every one registration used to cast a double vote.”............

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:40 pm 
Policy Wonk

Democrats propose changing Michigan voting age to 16

Quote:
The unprecedented outpouring of activism from students after the shooting at Marjorie Douglas Stoneman High School in Parkland, Fla., in February is the genesis for a bill introduced in the Legislature this week that would change the voting age in Michigan to 16.

"We allow 16-year-olds to go off and get jobs and pay taxes, but we fail to allow them to exercise their voice come election time," said Sen. David Knezek, D-Dearborn Heights. "Young people are setting aside their differences and identifying issues they think need to change. And they can do everything to get that change except vote."

The shooting at Parkland, which left 17 students and teachers dead, prompted multiple school walk outs and large demonstrations across the nation by students calling for more gun control.

The bills, simultaneously introduced in both the House and Senate, would also require a change in the federal and state constitutions, which would require a super majority in the House and the Senate, which is unlikely in the Republican-controlled state Legislature, and a vote of the people. To change the U.S. Constitution, the U.S. Congress would have to pass the change and send it back to the states for ratification. The last time the voting age was changed — from 21 to 18 — was 1971.

"People are trying to turn this into a partisan issue, but it’s a voting issue," Knezek said. "It’s integral in ensuring our democracy can survive in the United States.".................

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just curious. Anybody have a read on how other states maintain their voter records? I doubt it is advisable to allow them to grow without some type of procedure to maintain the database from time to time. So what if anything do other states do?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just curious. Anybody have a read on how other states maintain their voter records? I doubt it is advisable to allow them to grow without some type of procedure to maintain the database from time to time. So what if anything do other states do?

They simply compare them to other State lists, as was pointed out to SCOTUS in this decision.

DMV and U.S. Postal forwarding were two I heard addressed.

Many of us have the opportunity to register on voting day at our location. The problem with Ohio is it does not. So if you show up to vote, that is likely the first notice you will have that you are no longer registered. At that point, it will be too late. Miss one notice and don't vote for a while, and you are going to be disenfranchised.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the reason the right doesn't care if someone doesn't get to vote, is they don't believe in voting. I think they're royalists at heart - that's why they love Trump.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the reason the right doesn't care if someone doesn't get to vote, is they don't believe in voting. I think they're royalists at heart - that's why they love Trump.

If every person has a vote, then they're no longer anyone's superiors in the eyes of the government they claim to hate so much.

When the government squelches the votes of others for them, they call that "freedom." :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think they are just purely self-motivated. If restricting access to the ballot hurt them instead of helping them, they would be against it. They don't really have principles. Notice how they don't even care about free trade anymore?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think they are just purely self-motivated. If restricting access to the ballot hurt them instead of helping them, they would be against it. They don't really have principles. Notice how they don't even care about free trade anymore?

I think you're right, they DON'T have any principles. But I also don't think they have any love for our Constitutional government - they'd love to go back to royalty. They don't really care about voting, just power.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

They simply compare them to other State lists, as was pointed out to SCOTUS in this decision.

DMV and U.S. Postal forwarding were two I heard addressed.

Many of us have the opportunity to register on voting day at our location. The problem with Ohio is it does not. So if you show up to vote, that is likely the first notice you will have that you are no longer registered. At that point, it will be too late. Miss one notice and don't vote for a while, and you are going to be disenfranchised.

What would you have to present on voting day in order to register?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

What would you have to present on voting day in order to register?

Well, it used to just be proof of residency (it was one item from group A and one from group B). Now we have voter ID though. So I think a license with your current address is enough. Or a qualifying photo ID and something else (Group B again)...i.e. a lease, government bill, utility, college registration, etc.

You fill out the registration form the same as you ever would. Then you get a ballot. You can even get a provisional ballot which won't be counted until you come back if you show up and don't have the right documents. Then you have x days to supply the documents at the registration point.

16 states have SDR for everyone.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections- ... ation.aspx

What we really need is Automatic Voter Registration. Somehow, even though it saves money and increases security (from bogus voter fraud claims), it can't gain traction with Republicans. It's almost as if they aren't really interested in increasing security and saving money, if it means making voting easier for citizens.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/ ... ion-states

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, it used to just be proof of residency (it was one item from group A and one from group B). Now we have voter ID though. So I think a license with your current address is enough. Or a qualifying photo ID and something else (Group B again)...i.e. a lease, government bill, utility, college registration, etc.

You fill out the registration form the same as you ever would. Then you get a ballot. You can even get a provisional ballot which won't be counted until you come back if you show up and don't have the right documents. Then you have x days to supply the documents at the registration point.

16 states have SDR for everyone.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections- ... ation.aspx

What we really need is Automatic Voter Registration. Somehow, even though it saves money and increases security (from bogus voter fraud claims), it can't gain traction with Republicans. It's almost as if they aren't really interested in increasing security and saving money, if it means making voting easier for citizens.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/ ... ion-states

I don't know much about automatic registration but I would imagine as technology takes over more and more of our day to day lives, automatic registration or some derivation of it will soon follow. I am a bit old school. I like the idea of someone examining documents so the item from group A and item from group B seems reasonable to me for folks who need to register on election day.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

Woke and dangerous: Why we mustn't let 16-year-olds vote

Quote:
If you don't understand why letting 16- and 17-year-olds vote is a terrible idea, I suggest you ask a qualified expert to remind you how badly things have gone in the past whenever America gave some previously disenfranchised group of citizens a seat at the table.

Just ask any man what happened when women secured the right to vote.

Or ask any plantation owner how his life went South when a bunch of smug Yankee lawmakers decided that African-Americans should have access to the ballot box.

Or, if you really want to get to the root of this nonsense, ask Queen Elizabeth II to recall the trauma her country endured when King George III's American subjects started tweeting nonsense like "No taxation without representation!" (The British monarchy still hasn't recovered from that fiasco.)

If they could turn back the hands of time, I bet you that none of these experts would make the mistake of inviting newcomers to crash their elections again.

But here comes state Sen. David Knezek, D-Dearborn Heights, a troublemaker in the disruptive tradition of Thomas Jefferson, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony, to propose that voting eligibility in Michigan be extended yet again, this time to include all U.S. citizens over the age of 16.

What can he be thinking?...........

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:07 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't know much about automatic registration but I would imagine as technology takes over more and more of our day to day lives, automatic registration or some derivation of it will soon follow. I am a bit old school. I like the idea of someone examining documents so the item from group A and item from group B seems reasonable to me for folks who need to register on election day.

That has little to do with registration. Voter ID and such is a separate issue. There is no reason at all to have all these separate registration systems not connected to other systems. There is no reason why known persons shouldn't be registered somewhere all the time, and there is no reason that the State can't use that system to update changes as the State becomes aware of them. The "person" can review something on voting day.

However, the people who volunteer on voting day, in my experience, are less likely to catch something than a comprehensive computer system. They are almost all retirees. Here in Wisconsin, they attend one 4 hour training one time, and if they keep working at least once every 4 elections, that is all the training they will ever get.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:37 am 
Board Emeritus

That has little to do with registration. Voter ID and such is a separate issue. There is no reason at all to have all these separate registration systems not connected to other systems. There is no reason why known persons shouldn't be registered somewhere all the time, and there is no reason that the State can't use that system to update changes as the State becomes aware of them. The "person" can review something on voting day.

However, the people who volunteer on voting day, in my experience, are less likely to catch something than a comprehensive computer system. They are almost all retirees. Here in Wisconsin, they attend one 4 hour training one time, and if they keep working at least once every 4 elections, that is all the training they will ever get.

Point well taken. However the problem is linking a bunch of different systems together and having them communicate and then protecting that database. I am working on a similar project and it sounds easier than it is. It takes time and the more people and organizations that are involved, the more difficult the task. I think something similar to what you mention will eventually come to pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:55 am 
Board Emeritus

Point well taken. However the problem is linking a bunch of different systems together and having them communicate and then protecting that database. I am working on a similar project and it sounds easier than it is. It takes time and the more people and organizations that are involved, the more difficult the task. I think something similar to what you mention will eventually come to pass.

Problem is, the Republicans don't want to make it so that all eligible voters can vote. Their view is to suppress the vote, that's the only way you can win. That's why if you go to vote in Republican part of town, you can walk in, vote quickly, and leave in five minutes. But in heavily democratic and black or Hispanic areas, you can stand in line for eight hours to vote, because they make sure they don't have enough voting machines. Tell me, Joe, when's the last time you stood in line for four or more hours to vote?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Problem is, the Republicans don't want to make it so that all eligible voters can vote. Their view is to suppress the vote, that's the only way you can win. That's why if you go to vote in Republican part of town, you can walk in, vote quickly, and leave in five minutes. But in heavily democratic and black or Hispanic areas, you can stand in line for eight hours to vote, because they make sure they don't have enough voting machines. Tell me, Joe, when's the last time you stood in line for four or more hours to vote?

I vote early. I have a number of choices of where to vote in early voting so I may wait for 30 or 40 minutes from time to time. I have not voted on Election Day in years and cannot speak to waiting times in my designated polling place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

Rubio and Warren Seek to Protect Licenses of Student-Loan Debtors

Quote:
Senators Marco Rubio and Elizabeth Warren introduced a bill on Thursday that would prevent states from suspending residents’ driver’s and professional licenses over unpaid federal student loans. Critics have called the practice a self-defeating approach that denies borrowers the means to pay their debts.

The bipartisan proposal came after a November report by The New York Times revealed that 20 states had laws allowing government agencies to seize licenses from residents who had defaulted on their education debts. Records requests turned up 8,700 cases in which borrowers had lost their credentials in recent years, although that figure most likely understated the true tally.

“It makes no sense to revoke a professional license from someone who is trying to pay their student loans,” Mr. Rubio, Republican of Florida, said in a statement. Ms. Warren, Democrat of Massachusetts, called the policies “wrong and counterproductive.”

Under the bill, states would no longer be permitted to deny, suspend or revoke the driver’s and professional licenses of those who have defaulted on federal student loans. States will have two years to comply if the law is enacted.................