RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

I saw an article on-line about a new type of bicycle; the chainless drive. A standard type of bike from a street bike to beach bike to mountain bike to racing bike uses a chain running from a front sprocket to a rear sprocket through a derailleur(s). That is the usual setup for a bike. A company has developed, but not yet on the market, a chainless bike utilizing a drive train. The drive train has gears at each end so when you pedal the front gear meshes with the drive train transferring power to the gears on the back of the drive train which meshes with 13 gears on the back wheel. A battery inside the drive train allows you to change gears on the back wheel to increase or decrease your speed. The maker claims when the rider hits 380 watts of output the bike's efficiency climbs to 99 percent. Note, 380 watts would be obtained by serious (think profession) riders whereas the average bicyclist would generate about 50 to 150 watts.

I like the idea of the chainless bike but having to have a battery to make shifting work is the only drawback I see. I'd love to be able to tryout this bike.
digitaltrends.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

My first bike when I was about five was chain-less, it had a v-belt. It wouldn't coast down a hill, one had to pedal it all the time. Didn't have brakes either.

They got me a new bike when that having no brakes issue caused me to have a seriously big knot on my head and a sprained ankle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 am 
Policy Wonk

My first bike when I was about five was chain-less, it had a v-belt. It wouldn't coast down a hill, one had to pedal it all the time. Didn't have brakes either.

They got me a new bike when that having no brakes issue caused me to have a seriously big knot on my head and a sprained ankle.

One of my cousins lost her life when her son complained that the brakes on his bike weren't working, and she decided to try it out. Unfortunately, they lived on a steep hill and the brakes really weren't working. She slammed into a phone pole, and died instantly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 am 
Board Emeritus

One of my cousins lost her life when her son complained that the brakes on his bike weren't working, and she decided to try it out. Unfortunately, they lived on a steep hill and the brakes really weren't working. She slammed into a phone pole, and died instantly.

That's sad. :(

That which happened to me was pretty bad but not even close to that bad. I hit the back end of a parked tractor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 am 
Policy Wonk

That's sad. :(

That which happened to me was pretty bad but not even close to that bad. I hit the back end of a parked tractor.

Ouch indeed.