RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:30 am 
Board Emeritus

mike reyonolds Is Earthship Taos. his vision was and is too cool and independent.
they dont cost a lot, land does. the house costs come in resale value as you finish add-on make more
of the house over time. they are way too cool.

im so glad to read this. i met this guy when i stayed two nights in one of his earthships.
its nice to see people just get off their ass and teach others how to get shit done. :D

https://www.earthshipglobal.com/puerto-rico
STAGE 1 is finished! Now we are ready for Stage 2!

On February 1, Michael Reynolds and Phil Basehart led the Earthship Army to Aguada, Puerto Rico for the first stage of an ongoing project.

The goal is to offer an example of autonomous and hurricane-resistant architecture to help create a more self-reliant and resilient future in Puerto Rico.
The building will be used as a school and community centre which will promote all aspects of sustainable living.
Learn More

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:59 am 
Board Emeritus

What Mike Reynolds calls a pod or an earthship, I and Navajos would call a Hogan. I could live in one if I had to.

I wonder why Reynolds thinks his style of Hogans are hurricane resistant, being from Taos I doubt he's been able to test that theses. I have a suspicion he's just saying that biased upon his vision or belief.

I don't think they would survive hurricanes all that well, I think they would washout and the roof would fly off.

This is what I and Navajos call an Earthship, or a Shiprock: Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

since the walls are usually built with used rubber tires, and, theyre mostly built into the land itself,
id say they'd be a good build in puerto rico and other places. and, since many interior walls are
beautifully made from bottles and sundry objects of color i dont think many of them will fall
over and be blown away.

they are so unlike Hogans which usually were five walled structures of one room only.
now, today, they will make them with more sides, 6 to 8 sometimes.
they are for ceremonial purposes.

pictures. earthship.
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=earthship+home ... a326e8.jpg

hogans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wind won't take that out, but the flood will. PR will still need surge barriers and since the president doesn't consider these American citizens to be Americans, I don't see a lot of money going for these.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wind won't take that out, but the flood will. PR will still need surge barriers and since the president doesn't consider these American citizens to be Americans, I don't see a lot of money going for these.

well thats the point....people can build these themselves with used materials now found allll over that island.
its what the original earthship people did...they gathered the surplus, or, the 'garbage' thrown away
and used it all to build an earthship home.

i dont think many will build along the ocean coast anymore so these will do well up in the hills.

about the only walls left standing on the islands of the caribe are the ACE structures they built with
concrete walls to withstand hurricanes. the walls are mostly still there and its 70years later.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

since the walls are usually built with used rubber tires, and, theyre mostly built into the land itself,
id say they'd be a good build in puerto rico and other places. and, since many interior walls are
beautifully made from bottles and sundry objects of color i dont think many of them will fall
over and be blown away.

they are so unlike Hogans which usually were five walled structures of one room only.
now, today, they will make them with more sides, 6 to 8 sometimes.
they are for ceremonial purposes.

I followed the link you provided. I saw this:

Saw this:

Saw this:

I saw Hogans. Hogans are fine in a hot dry climate. Puerto Rico is a hot humid climate. Structures there need more ventilation and need to be up off of the ground, out of the ground water zone. Out of the burrowing crawling critter and insect zone. Out of the mold.

They need to have adequate drainage around them not be built in a embankment which funnels water in. And they need a roof structure which is tied down with steel to prevent it from blowing away in a hurricane. One can't tie a roof to stacked tires. And if one did figure out a way to tie them to stacked tires one would have a roof and tires blowing away in the wind.

The things are primitive shanties. Earth floors, not made for plumbing or wiring. Typical Taos impractical artsy-fartsy. There's been a colony of them living there for years. Another colony of them in Santa Fe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

well sam, i guess you need to tell all these people to stop doing this!!!
i still think theyre using too much wood, ive seen a few with out as much wood.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com