It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who Is Sharice Davids? She Could Be The First Indigenous Woman In Congress
https://www.elitedaily.com/p/who-is-sha ... ve-9370505

The first time she stepped into the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) ring in 2006, it only took a matter of seconds before Sharice laid out her opponent with a chokehold. The fight to get onto the November ballot in the 2018 midterm elections, on the other hand, might take slightly longer. Sharice Davids, a former MMA fighter, is in the running to represent Kansas' 3rd congressional district in the U.S. House, and her candidacy is a big deal for a lot of reasons.

In most typical campaign videos, candidates are shown volunteering or shaking the hands of blue-collar workers. In hers, Davids is throwing kicks and punches in a boxing gym. "It's 2018, and women, Native Americans, gay people, the unemployed, and underemployed have to fight like hell just to survive," Davids says, wailing on a bag. "And it's clear: Trump and the Republicans in Washington don't give a damn about anyone like me or anyone that doesn't think like them. That's why I'm running for Congress."

If elected, Davids might well be the only person in the House who's well versed in mat work. But the 37-year-old Democrat would also become the first openly gay representative from Kansas, one of the only LGBTQ members of Congress, and potentially one of the first female Native Americans in Congress. Davids is a member of the Ho-Chunk nation, a Native American tribe primarily based in Wisconsin.

[snip]

Though two men who identify as Native American are currently serving in the House, no indigenous woman has ever done so. But that could change this year; Debra Haaland, another indigenous candidate just won the Democratic primary in New Mexico. If Davids makes it past her Aug. 7 primary, she and Haaland could become the first two Native American women in the House — going from zero to two in one election cycle. On the Senate side, candidate Eve Reyes-Aguirre is looking to do the same in Arizona, and other native women are vying for governorships and state-level offices this year.

[snip][end]

Our Revolution has endorsed Brent Welder, a white guy primary opponent. :(

She is a decent progressive - this is not just about identity politics so-called - and it's a competitive six-way primary.

I wish her luck. I'd like to see her in Congress.

Of course, I'll support whoever comes out of the primary. Even the boring white bread guy. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Some people are claiming support for Sharice is just because of who she is. Though that's important, what's more important is what she's going to do.

For the working class. Of all colors, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and genders. ;)

Sharice Davids could be the first Indigenous woman ever elected to Congress, and she's just the fighter we need in our corner
https://hellogiggles.com/news/politics/ ... ds-kansas/

The November 2018 election is coming up, and more women than ever are running for Congress. In our She’s Running series, HelloGiggles is highlighting some of the young, progressive women candidates who are reshaping the face of politics just by campaigning — and could have a hand in reshaping our future. Still need to register to vote? Do it here.

[snip]

Case in point: Sharice Davids. One of six Democrats vying for the party’s nomination in Kansas’ 3rd congressional district in the August 7th primary, Davids’ platform prioritizes issues like education, health care, gun safety, the environment, immigration, and equality for all. A first-time candidate for Congress, Davids joined the race back in February. Since then, she’s secured coveted endorsements from Moms Demand Action For Gun Violence in America, Victory Fund, and EMILY’s List.

And like Ocasio-Cortez, Abrams, and Haaland, Davids is poised to make history. If she wins her congressional bid in November, Davids will be the first Indigenous woman ever elected to Congress. What’s more, she will be the first openly queer U.S. House representative from Kansas in the state’s history.

[snip]

HG: What urgent issues concern you and your Kansas constituents most?

SD: I’ve got kind of a top five list. Right now, we’re in the middle of trying to figure out how to make sure our public schools are properly funded, and while that’s primarily a state issue, having equitable, properly funded public education is a huge concern of a lot of the folks in the district. And because I am running for a federal office, there are a lot of discussions about Head Start, technology access, skyrocketing student loans, and college education costs. Gun safety is another huge issue here that people are really concerned about. Health care — health care access, insurance access — are big things, [too.] Then, immigration and environmental issues. Those are the top five issues consistently brought up by people as concerns.

HG: Should you win your congressional bid, how do you hope to address issues like education, gun safety, and health care?

SD: Children in America should have access to quality public education, no matter their zip code or ability. We need a strong partner at the federal level who will be a strong advocate and staunch defender of the public school system. [When it comes to] gun safety, we must recognize that America has a public health crisis in regards to gun violence. It is a public health issue and we must treat it as such. That means, in part, allowing the CDC to study the problem so we can find holistic solutions to addressing the problem. [Regarding] health care, everyone deserves easy access to affordable, quality health care. We must not only address coverage, but affordability, quality, access, and literacy.

[snip][end]

She's on the right side of the issues, it's not just about her so-called "identity". And she is a progressive fighter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday ... tFuhtFFbg/

It is exciting to see a young woman run and win the primaries? Why she then takes time out of her candidacy to go after a very democratic progressive Kansas Rep Sharice Davids, A Gay Native American young American Woman whose single mother raised her while serving our country,” tweets Jill Kaiser Adams. “I think you are young @Ocasio2018 and you are making some major missteps … I was inspired by you, until I see you are actively working against Sharice Davids. This is NOT progressive. Focus on your candidacy. This is going to hurt you.”

[snip]

The Kansas Progressive, a local diary for Daily Kos, says Sanders is “big footing” women candidates. She writes,”the optics of two east coasters coming into two separate districts to campaign for two white guys is bad. There is no way to spin it.”

“Welder faces two women in his primary. His main challenger, Sharice Davids is the face of Democrats today. Her mother was an Army drill sergeant. Davids grew up in a single parent household, attended a Kansas community college, and earned her law degree at Cornell. She worked as a fellow in the Obama White House, crafting high-level policy. She is Native American, a former MMA fighter, and an out lesbian,” the post says. “She is also a committed progressive. Welder's followers have criticized a $360,000 ad buy from Women's Voice, an Emily's List-linked PAC. They have also linked the Emily's List endorsement to the Sander's visit. Emily's List endorsed Davids on May 24, 2018, but the Sanders campaign stop was announced just this past week, facts which they simply ignore.”

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/a-vice-president-now-bernie-sanders-sharice-davids-race-is-getting-attention-OXB9pDdgS0eQTtFuhtFFbg/

It is exciting to see a young woman run and win the primaries? Why she then takes time out of her candidacy to go after a very democratic progressive Kansas Rep Sharice Davids, A Gay Native American young American Woman whose single mother raised her while serving our country,” tweets Jill Kaiser Adams. “I think you are young @Ocasio2018 and you are making some major missteps … I was inspired by you, until I see you are actively working against Sharice Davids. This is NOT progressive. Focus on your candidacy. This is going to hurt you.”

[snip]

The Kansas Progressive, a local diary for Daily Kos, says Sanders is “big footing” women candidates. She writes,”the optics of two east coasters coming into two separate districts to campaign for two white guys is bad. There is no way to spin it.”

“Welder faces two women in his primary. His main challenger, Sharice Davids is the face of Democrats today. Her mother was an Army drill sergeant. Davids grew up in a single parent household, attended a Kansas community college, and earned her law degree at Cornell. She worked as a fellow in the Obama White House, crafting high-level policy. She is Native American, a former MMA fighter, and an out lesbian,” the post says. “She is also a committed progressive. Welder's followers have criticized a $360,000 ad buy from Women's Voice, an Emily's List-linked PAC. They have also linked the Emily's List endorsement to the Sander's visit. Emily's List endorsed Davids on May 24, 2018, but the Sanders campaign stop was announced just this past week, facts which they simply ignore.”

[snip][end]

thanks for all this information...maybe people will listen to you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm not trying to attack Sanders, O-C, or even Welder. I'm not trying to tear down him or anybody in the primary race.

I just think Sharice Davids is the one I want to support, and encourage other people to support, and so I'm going to do so.

So, if it ends up being Welder, or worse yet one of the moderate white guys, well, yes, we agree, we need more Democrats, of all flavors, so that person I'm supporting in the general.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:15 am 
Board Emeritus

She may win the primary.

I'm using NYT live results as of this morning (updated 8 AM), but even that shows only 71% of precincts reporting. More data could come in.

Kansas District-03 Dem Primary results:

Sharice Davids 36.2%
Brent Wlder 35.3%

BTW: in the Republican Kansas gubernatorial primary, it's razor close with 95% of precincts reporting.

Kris Kobach has 40.7%
Jeff Colyer has 40.5%.

Within the recount threshold ... Kobach, of course, was endorsed by Trump.

EDIT: Kansas City Star is reporting as of 8 AM Kansas time, Sharice Davids is the winner for KS-03, 37-34, and will go on to face Yoder.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 60795.html