Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
Advisory: Red Flag Warning 11:00AM Friday until 11:00PM Saturday (North S.F. Bay)
Just received the following Nixle alert ...

--------------------------------------------------

RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM FRIDAY TO 11 PM PDT SATURDAY FOR GUSTY NORTH WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY FOR THE NORTH BAY MOUNTAINS AND EAST BAY HILLS

The National Weather Service in San Francisco has issued a Red Flag Warning, which is in effect from 11 AM Friday to 11 PM PDT Saturday.

Gusty northerly winds coupled with hot temperatures and low humidity values Friday through Saturday evening... .High pressure will build inland and bring a combination of gusty northerly winds, hot temperature and low humidity values late morning Friday through Saturday evening. The areas of greatest concern will be located in higher terrain of northern and eastern Napa County. Any fire starts may spread rapidly in these conditions. Avoid activities that may lead to fire ignition, including lawn work, driving on grass, tossing cigarettes, lighting campfire or fireworks, especially during Friday and Saturday afternoons.

* WIND...Northerly winds of 20-25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Isolated highest terrain could see locally higher winds.
* HUMIDITY...Minimum humidity readings of 10 to 20% will be common during the day. Overnight humidity recoveries will be poor and less than 30%.
* IMPACTS...Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly. Outdoor burning or other activities that may lead to fire creation is not recommended.
* HIGHEST THREAT...Elevations above 1000 feet, especially in the extreme northern and eastern portions of the North Bay Mountains
* AFFECTED AREAS: NORTH BAY MOUNTAINS

Instructions: A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Same thing in the hills down here. It's unheard of. August is supposed to be SoCal monsoon season, with humidity and mountain thunderstorms. Not the dry winds of October. Ever.

People have to get it:

This has never happened before in our time.
Not this time of year.
Not for as long.
Ever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am still in AWE that our nations response is to follow the advice of people like this...Some are dumb, and are not capable of learning, some are corrupt.

The Climate Change Deniers in Congress

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... n-congress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

In San Diego, we've had hotter than normal weather for July and August isn't looking that great either. Scripps Institute of Oceanography has been collecting ocean temperatures for decades and they recorded the water temperature at their pier at 78 degrees; the hottest it's ever been.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:55 am 
Board Emeritus

We got a letter from our power company. They said during red flag conditions they would be shutting the power off. There is that four billion in fire liability their stockholders have to accept as a loss, they can't pass it on to the users.

High winds means somewhere overhead wires will be whipping around. They'll arc and start a fire.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

We got a letter from our power company. They said during red flag conditions they would be shutting the power off. There is that four billion in fire liability their stockholders have to accept as a loss, they can't pass it on to the users.

High winds means somewhere overhead wires will be whipping around. They'll arc and start a fire.

I recall the huge blackout in the Northeast several years ago cause by high temps and massive power usage. Power needed to be re-distributed. According to wikipedia a software bug caused the failure to re-distrbute. Power lines sagged, broke and no more power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast ... ut_of_2003

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

San Diego is having an alert starting on Monday and the local power company is issuing a flex-alert. During the days of the flex-alert, they'll increase the price of power to encourage people to use less electricity so they won't have to do cutback or "brownouts." It won't affect me much since I live near about 6 blocks from the ocean and my electric usage is way below average and during the summer days I usually have TV, lamp, fan, and computer & printer on and none of them use much electricity. I can feel for those who live inland where the temperatures will hit the high 90s and they need air conditioners.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

LA, being in the dark ages, has no consumer load-shedding or peak pricing to speak of. I think big buildings do peak pricing.

The power company had enough trouble getting accurate bills at all. It experimented with a system using meters that communicated on the very sexy 900 MHz band, but nothing came of it. Meanwhile central Europe does it on the same non-sexy low-frequency band as aero beacons and such, and it works just great with about 1/10 the buildout expense.

Once again, this is the kind of thing Brexit will undo in the UK. No soup (ERCC) for YOU.

78 degree water would be catastrophic up here. 73 is considered anomalous. I wonder: is this an El Nino precursor?

The summer here so far is best described as a 7-day heat wave every 7 days. Tuesdays and Wednesdays seem to be the worst. Every Friday, the weather people dutifully get out their "new experimental product" with the red map of SoCal and the lists of "excessive heat warnings," with the admonitions to not be stupid in hot weather. Rinse on Friday, then repeat. Yes, we have one for this coming week, avec Red Flag.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

L.A. just turned purple on the "new experimental product." The legend on the scary looking map says something about a life threatening heat event.

Weather map is unreal... this setup happens maybe once a year, and never, ever, EVER in summer. You need a cutoff low over Mexico, way east of Baja. Usually in March after a rain storm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

It has been cool here the last three days, mid nineties. But so damned smokey I can't go outside and use it.

It has a harsh smells like cheat grass burning off without enough air. Coal stokers kind of have that smell as well. It kind of has a bite to it.

I'm going to go out and water the garden, it takes about 10 minutes to do that. When I come back in I'll feel kind of light headed and my eyes will burn. I'll feel OK in ten minutes but I'll have to rinse off my face or my eyes will continue to burn and will get red.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Last weather forecast I heard on the radio for downtown L.A. said the high temperature would be "way up there in triple digits somewhere." They can't even give a number.

Someday the brush around the Getty is going to ignite, and the fire will run all the way to the sea. They got lucky last year, and stopped it at the freeway. Now that side is conveniently de-fueled, but the other side isn't.

The evacuations alone defy imagination. The damage will be third world.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

With water temperatures way above normal it would be helpful if we had a "mild" typhoon or a tropical storm hit California. The reason we don't get typhoons is because the Pacific Ocean waters are cooler than the Atlantic and Caribbean waters and warmer water feed hurricanes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would imagine, with this kind of water temperature, that a tropical storm hanging together long enough to hit SoCal is a real possibility. It happened once a real long time ago, and totally destroyed some places which are now heavily built up beach real estate.

Typhoons start at the date line. Hector is still a hurricane, but soon he will be a typhoon. Only position matters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would imagine, with this kind of water temperature, that a tropical storm hanging together long enough to hit SoCal is a real possibility. It happened once a real long time ago, and totally destroyed some places which are now heavily built up beach real estate.

Typhoons start at the date line. Hector is still a hurricane, but soon he will be a typhoon. Only position matters.

I was reading an interview with a National Weather Service meteorologist in the local paper yesterday who said you need deep water temperatures above 78 to feed a hurricane. The problem in Southern California with that happening is the water along the coast is shallow and a hurricane would bring up the deeper colder water and weaken the hurricane. The last time San Diego was hit with a hurricane (thought to be a category 1 hurricane) was back in 1858.

So I doubt Southern California, or any part of California, will see a hurricane.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

L.A. had a tropical storm in 1939, after a summer much like this one.

Wiki:

Quote:
The flooding killed 45 in Southern California, although some of these may be attributable to the rain immediately before the tropical storm. At sea, 48 were killed.[1] The National Hurricane Center only attributes 45 deaths to this system.[7] Six people caught on beaches drowned during the storm. Most other deaths were at sea. Twenty-four died aboard a vessel called the Spray as it attempted to dock at Point Mugu. The two survivors, a man and a woman, swam ashore and then walked five miles (8 km) to Oxnard. Fifteen people from Ventura drowned aboard a fishing boat named Lur. Many other vessels were sunk, capsized, or blown ashore.[6]

Many low-lying areas were flooded. The Hamilton Bowl overflowed, flooding the Signal Hill area. Along the shore from Malibu to Huntington Beach houses were flooded. Throughout the area, thousands of people were stranded in their homes. Streets in Los Angeles proper were covered with water, flooding buildings and stalling cars. Flooding in Inglewood and Los Angeles reached a depth of 2 to 3 feet. Construction on a flood control project in the Los Angeles River's channel by the Army Corps of Engineers was stopped by the flooding. Windows throughout Long Beach were smashed by the wind. At Belmont Shore, waves undermined ten homes before washing them away. Debris was scattered throughout the coast. Agriculture was disrupted. Crop damage in the Coachella Valley reached 75%.