RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

A San Francisco jury Friday ruled in favor of a former Benicia Unified School District groundskeeper Lee Johnson who claimed the chemical glyphosate – contained in the popular herbicide “Roundup” – caused his cancer.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/ ... rs-cancer/.

The jury ordered that Roundup manufacturer Monsanto pay Lee Johnson, who is suffering from terminal non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, nearly $290 million in damages. The breakdown was $819,882 for loss of past earnings; $1,403,327 in future earnings; $4 million in past non-economic losses and $33 million in future non-economic losses.

Mr. Johnson is dying and Monsanto did what it usually does, deny.....deny.....deny.

And Monsanto will appeal. Maybe they think they run out clock. If Mr. Johnson dies they don't have to pay.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

I can't imagine that this verdict stands up. So far as I know, the National Institute of Health has specifically rejected this claim. Further, while there are experts who are critical of that decision (and the findings of pretty much all governments worldwide who have reviewed the issue), I've never seen evidence that Roundup causes any form of cancer sufficient to make that the most likely conclusion. Then again, I don't know what the California courts look like on issues such as this.

What will almost certainly happen is a settlement where Monsanto does not admit liability, so that it can prevent a citeable precedent.

Of course, a company being sued is going to deny. That isn't that strange really. Most individuals being sued deny too. Of course, denial is sometimes based on the belief you are innocent. In this case, Monsanto may well be innocent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Googling whether or not glyphosate causes cancer generates a whole lot of words and no consensus. Animal trials are not useful because animals are not humans. So no one including Monsanto, the NIH, other laboratories and various attorneys knows.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Googling whether or not glyphosate causes cancer generates a whole lot of words and no consensus. Animal trials are not useful because animals are not humans. So no one including Monsanto, the NIH, other laboratories and various attorneys knows.

I don't know.

I do know that gasoline for my car causes cancer. Spray paint, and Bacon. :|

Yeah! Bacon. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know.

I do know that gasoline for my car causes cancer. Spray paint, and Bacon. :|

Yeah! Bacon. :(

So, you believe if you get cancer, you have a legitimate lawsuit against Oscar Meyer?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, you believe if you get cancer, you have a legitimate lawsuit against Oscar Meyer?

No.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 am 
Board Emeritus

No.

Then your post was a non-sequitur.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Not the first...won't be the last.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Monsanto will drag their appeals out for years until Johnson dies then they'll settle for much less with his family. Either that or they'll get a judge to decide the award was too high and reduce it by 90%.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Does that mean I have a syndicated political cartoon strip?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Does that mean I have a syndicated political cartoon strip?

Nope, you're not funny. But you should look up the actual definition of the term. It might improve your posting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 am 
Board Emeritus

So this guy accidentally dumps a couple of gallons of glyphosate on himself and develops cancer (a cancer which has not yet been clinically linked to glyphosate). And so Stella Liebeck dumps a cup of McDonald's coffee on herself and needs a skin graft. And so, a couple dozen guys will shoot themselves in the groin this year. And then...so a millenial texting while crossing the street steps out in front of a moving garbage truck.

Sue Monsanto, sue McDonalds, sue Charter Arms, sue Waste Management. Theres a jury half full of people stupid enough to vote for Donald Trump who will make you, or your heirs, rich.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:09 am 
Board Emeritus

No, it means I haven't been eating, nor have I ever tended to eat the premium priced name brand products made by Oscar Meyer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 am 
Board Emeritus

So this guy accidentally dumps a couple of gallons of glyphosate on himself and develops cancer (a cancer which has not yet been clinically linked to glyphosate). And so Stella Liebeck dumps a cup of McDonald's coffee on herself and needs a skin graft. And so, a couple dozen guys will shoot themselves in the groin this year. And then...so a millenial texting while crossing the street steps out in front of a moving garbage truck.

Sue Monsanto, sue McDonalds, sue Charter Arms, sue Waste Management. Theres a jury half full of people stupid enough to vote for Donald Trump who will make you, or your heirs, rich.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here it was PokemonGO players walking in front of buses or off bridges.

Don't start me on digital disruption, or we'll be here all day. Anyway, this is about Monsanto's pesticide, which may or may not cause cancer, but it sure screws up the environment other ways.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Y'know...I'm no cheerleader for Monsanto. But whenever I get into a discussion with my progressive friends and family about Roundup, I begin to get this creepy feeling like I'm surrounded by anti-vaxxers, GMO-fearmongers, and flat earth society members.

Anti-science is anti-science regardless of which direction it comes from.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't use it but I have some and I keep thinking I'm going to get around to spraying the poison oak with it.

I'm always going to do it after I finish doing something else. Ten years of that. :|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 am 
Board Emeritus

Y'know, theres really more to the Liebeck case.
1. Stella's car has no drink holders.
2. Stella has had hundreds of papers cups full of McDonald's coffee before.
3. Stella knows good and goddamn well that it's almost as hot as Starbucks.
4. It needs sugar, so...
5. Stella holds the open cup between her knees, squashes it and dumps the contents therein, into her lap.

How many of these steps were McDonald's responsibility? And then an American jury half full of people stupid enough to vote for Donald Trump, hands her millions of dollars on a silver platter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Y'know, theres really more to the Liebeck case.
1. Stella's car has no drink holders.
2. Stella has had hundreds of papers cups full of McDonald's coffee before.
3. Stella knows good and goddamn well that it's almost as hot as Starbucks.
4. It needs sugar, so...
5. Stella holds the open cup between her knees, squashes it and dumps the contents therein, into her lap.

How many of these steps we McDonald's responsibility? And then an American jury half full of people stupid enough to vote for Donald Trump, hands her millions of dollars on a silver platter.

As Paul Harvey used to say "And now for the rest of the story."

Stella Liebeck was a passenger in her grandson's car when they went through a McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast. He parked the car so Stella could could add cream and sugar to her coffee. She placed the coffee between her legs to remove the lid and the cup flipped backwards onto her causing third-degree burns to her legs and genitals.

She spent seven-days in the hospital and three-weeks recuperating at home with her daughter taking care of her. She asked McDonald's for $20,000 to cover the cost of her medical bills and her daughter's lost income. McDonald's offered to settle for $800 dollars.

During the trial, the following facts came out:
1. McDonald's heated their coffee around 180 - 190 degrees compared to other restaurant's who served coffee between 135 - 140 degrees. (My opinion, by heating the coffee so high it enabled McDonald's to get produce more cups of coffee per coffee maker because the water at a higher temperature expands and occupies more space.)

2. McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.

3. McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.

4. McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 for compensatory damages and reduced that amount to $160,000 because Liebeck was 20% responsible. The jury awarded her $2.7 million in punitive damages. The court reduced that amount to $480,000 even though the judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.
lectlaw.com
findlaw
[color=#8000FF]caoc.org[/color]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
The jury awarded her $2.7 million in punitive damages. The court reduced that amount to $480,000 even though the judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.

Feh...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Feh...

Facts are facts and urban legends are urban legends.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tort suits are the only way to keep corporations honest and from killing us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tort suits are the only way to keep corporations honest and from killing us.

I agree and the way corporations are fighting tort suits is to make class lawsuits illegal and binding arbitration by a corporations picked arbitration judge mandatory.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

As a Vet who saw Men he served with Die from Agent Orange, Mansanto knew the risk, and failed to warn users.

Round Up is hazard. A Health Hazard. Mansanto did not care.

They will stretch out the suit until the man dies and give pay out to the family for a lot less than the original suit.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

As a Vet who saw Men he served with Die from Agent Orange, Mansanto knew the risk, and failed to warn users.

Round Up is hazard. A Health Hazard. Mansanto did not care.

They will stretch out the suit until the man dies and give pay out to the family for a lot less than the original suit.

My step children's father died from agent orange, Nam vet, etc.

Toward the end of is life BECAUSE of Obama he got monthly checks, big ones, for his cancer. $4500 a month I think, tax free, but only lived a couple of years to enjoy it.