Where in the World Have You Been?

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
Number6

Where in the World Have You Been?

Post by Number6 »

Many of us have been fortunate to have been able to travel to different states and countries. How many states and countries have you been in and/or visited? For me, being in a military family we move a number of times, but never overseas, and during my career I had to the opportunity to serve in multiple stateside and overseas bases. Here are a number of them where I've been.

Stateside: California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Virginia, Florida, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Tennessee, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming, and Ohio.

Overseas: Germany, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, South Korea, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, and Croatia.

If I had to choose my favorite state and country it would be California and England, respectively.

So, where have you been?
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Re: Where in the World Have You Been?

Post by gounion »

Easier to say what states I HAVEN'T visited. Alaska, Hawaii, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. Also been to Puerto Rico.

Been to Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama and Columbia. Not bad for a non-military kid from Kansas. I've been very lucky.

I'd love to see Venice before I die, but I have no plans to make it happen.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:25 pm Easier to say what states I HAVEN'T visited. Alaska, Hawaii, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. Also been to Puerto Rico.

Been to Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama and Columbia. Not bad for a non-military kid from Kansas. I've been very lucky.

I'd love to see Venice before I die, but I have no plans to make it happen.
You've done well traveling. I was talking to one of the bowlers, retired Navy, in a league I was substituting in this morning and he was saying next summer he'll be traveling to the Philippines to visit his wife's family. He doesn't really want to go but it's important to his wife so he'll go. I told him I've done enough traveling while in the military and I have no desire to do any more. He agreed saying he's seen most parts of the world. Some of the guys I bowl with are going on cruises and to Europe. One guy in the last year has visited Finland and is returning tomorrow from Spain and Portugal. Another visited Ireland last month. They're both retired civilians who worked for the Navy and I figure in their they didn't do much traveling.

One thing I like to tell people, especially young people, if you have the opportunity to travel do so. Even if it's just in the U.S. because you get to see how other live as well as experience their cultures. In some European countries I'll see something and say "that's smart" and wonder why it's not common in the U.S.. Traveling opens people minds and makes you understand we share more things in common than what makes us different. You'd be surprised how much people will open up to you in other countries if you try to speak in their language. In Europe, in most cases, once you make the effort to speak their language they begin speaking to you in English.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:41 pm You've done well traveling. I was talking to one of the bowlers, retired Navy, in a league I was substituting in this morning and he was saying next summer he'll be traveling to the Philippines to visit his wife's family. He doesn't really want to go but it's important to his wife so he'll go. I told him I've done enough traveling while in the military and I have no desire to do any more. He agreed saying he's seen most parts of the world. Some of the guys I bowl with are going on cruises and to Europe. One guy in the last year has visited Finland and is returning tomorrow from Spain and Portugal. Another visited Ireland last month. They're both retired civilians who worked for the Navy and I figure in their they didn't do much traveling.

One thing I like to tell people, especially young people, if you have the opportunity to travel do so. Even if it's just in the U.S. because you get to see how other live as well as experience their cultures. In some European countries I'll see something and say "that's smart" and wonder why it's not common in the U.S.. Traveling opens people minds and makes you understand we share more things in common than what makes us different. You'd be surprised how much people will open up to you in other countries if you try to speak in their language. In Europe, in most cases, once you make the effort to speak their language they begin speaking to you in English.
Before got involved in the union, I had done very little traveling. The union opened the world to me. My Canadian and Mexico trips (whoops, forgot Mexico -went there to visit the Maquiladoras and the people that worked in them). The other countries were on a cruise from LA to Miami through the Panama Canal.

And if you want to go to ONE place in the lower 48 that is the closest to visiting another country? Go to coastal Louisiana. The culture is the most different that I've seen anywhere. Hawaii is probably similar. I don't think Alaska is, but it would be the most different geographically and in nature.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Some of the more isolated hilltop neighborhoods around downtown LA are as close to rural Mexico as you'll ever get in the US. It's pretty close. I did sound on a movie that shot up in the Heights on the way to Pasadena, and let's just say it was lucky that the director was first generation Chicano and spoke the right Spanish dialect. Lots of chickens, roosters, and faith healers.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bird

Post by bird »

I would like to see Alaska. Hawaii is beautiful.

I haven’t traveled as much as Mrs. Bird. We went to St. Martin several years ago. She has been to England 3 times, Germany, Austria and Israel. We want to get to England next year.

I would love to see St. Petersburg but no way will I go as long as Putin is in power.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bird wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:14 pm I would like to see Alaska. Hawaii is beautiful.

I haven’t traveled as much as Mrs. Bird. We went to St. Martin several years ago. She has been to England 3 times, Germany, Austria and Israel. We want to get to England next year.

I would love to see St. Petersburg but no way will I go as long as Putin is in power.
I was stationed in both Germany and England in the 80s and 90s. I left England in 1988 and a year later a Captain and I who were both stationed in England together and then at the same stateside base caught a hop back to the same base with a group from an Oklahoma Air National Guard medical unit doing their two week service there. The Captain and I went down to London and one of the things we did was take the Jack the Ripper Walk. It was a guided tour starting at Eustion Station and took you to all the locations where the murders took place. When I was assigned to England again, I took a female friend on the same walk and while we were early for the tour I pointed out to her the site where the Liberty Bell was made and the hospital where the Elephant Man lived.

I always found using Piccadilly Circus a central point to go travel on foot throughout most of London. Using the Tube there will take you just about anywhere in London quickly. Don't forget to take in a play or two while you're there. You can usually catch a matinee on Saturdays.

Also, don't just visit London, go to Stonehenge, Salisbury, Bath, and if you can go to Edinburgh, Scotland.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

London is definitely worth it. Yes its theater is comparable to Broadway and definitely world class. The Tube makes the NYC subway look simple, but it does go everywhere. There are also lots of those double decker buses only unlike here, they are actually the basic bus service that everyone rides.

Main thing is that if you're used to US street grids, London doesn't have one of those. It's old-school, probably laid out along the cow paths like parts of Boston, and equally incomprehensible. Maps don't always help. It's a maze. You can be a block from the place you're looking for, and still never find it.

Stonehenge is a day trip and definitely worth it. The site itself is amazing, the sheep are friendly, and the rocks make you wonder how they ever built the thing. Remember that they were twice the size as you see them now (erosion, very windy place). Tours will usually throw in Bath, which has one (Roman), and if you're lucky a stop at some village pub for a pint.

I'm also a big fan of France, though better take a conversational French class first if you intend to go very far from Paris. Also expect street closures for strikes and demonstrations. The French do politics the way we do college football, only all year around.

In both places, crime against tourists is something of a fine art. The pickpockets are especially world class. One definitely needs to stay aware.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:13 pm London is definitely worth it. Yes its theater is comparable to Broadway and definitely world class. The Tube makes the NYC subway look simple, but it does go everywhere. There are also lots of those double decker buses only unlike here, they are actually the basic bus service that everyone rides.

Main thing is that if you're used to US street grids, London doesn't have one of those. It's old-school, probably laid out along the cow paths like parts of Boston, and equally incomprehensible. Maps don't always help. It's a maze. You can be a block from the place you're looking for, and still never find it.

Stonehenge is a day trip and definitely worth it. The site itself is amazing, the sheep are friendly, and the rocks make you wonder how they ever built the thing. Remember that they were twice the size as you see them now (erosion, very windy place). Tours will usually throw in Bath, which has one (Roman), and if you're lucky a stop at some village pub for a pint.

I'm also a big fan of France, though better take a conversational French class first if you intend to go very far from Paris. Also expect street closures for strikes and demonstrations. The French do politics the way we do college football, only all year around.

In both places, crime against tourists is something of a fine art. The pickpockets are especially world class. One definitely needs to stay aware.
Yes, London is a maze but if you have a paper map or one on your phone it's easy to figure out where you are and how to get where you want to go. I always found if you know where a Tube station is in relation to your destination it's easy to get there. As I said, I used Piccadilly Circus as my central point for getting around London but it was mainly a tourist area. From there, I could walk to the West End, Convent Gardens, Trafalgar Square, Soho, Regent's Park, and Buckingham Palace. Other place takes only about 10 minutes by the Tube.

As for the theater being as good as Broadway, I wouldn't know. My theater experience has only been in London in the 90s. My favorites were Les Miserable and Cats. I did see a matinee of Damn Yankees starring Jerry Lewis. In one instance, on of the actors forgot his lines and what he was suppose to do and Jerry Lewis started telling jokes using the forgetting actor as the butt of the jokes and the actor was cracking up with laughter. During intermission, Lewis came out and told more jokes instead of taking a break. That's probably something few, if any, actors would do.
Drak

Post by Drak »

The only travelling I've done is in North America, with a light visit to Mexico then to various places across this country and the USA. I've always wanted to head over to Europe but haven't done so yet. I'd also like to see Ireland. And New Zealand, mostly to visit Mordor and Hobbiton. I've been throughout BC, Alberta, Saskachewan, as well as Ontario (Ottawa), Quebec (Hul and Montreal). In the US I've been to WA, Oregon, Idaho, Montana. California and Nevada.

I better get on it.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Drak wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:16 pm The only travelling I've done is in North America, with a light visit to Mexico then to various places across this country and the USA. I've always wanted to head over to Europe but haven't done so yet. I'd also like to see Ireland. And New Zealand, mostly to visit Mordor and Hobbiton. I've been throughout BC, Alberta, Saskachewan, as well as Ontario (Ottawa), Quebec (Hul and Montreal). In the US I've been to WA, Oregon, Idaho, Montana. California and Nevada.

I better get on it.
I've only been to Mexico twice in my life and that was to Tijuana. Once when I was in my early 20s and then again in the 80s when I was on leave I accompanied my sister and her husband's female cousin who was a police officer in another state.

The thing I like about traveling is seeing how other people live. There are people who like to live away from town and cities where it take a half-hour or more to get to a store. Others, like to live where houses are a city block apart. Some, who like houses closer together. And then there are people who think living in apartments or brownstone homes, like in New York, is the best. To each their own.

The point about traveling is learning. There are different parts of the country that has their own culture. Even within states, you have different cultures. While stationed in Germany, I learned the German language had two dialects; High-German and Low-German. High German is the official language and is spoken throughout the country. Low-German is the local dialect spoken in a region. Even within that region, there can be a number of dialects. One German civilian woman who worked in our squadron told us when she went to school, the bus picked up students from different villages and it wasn't unusual for each village to have their own dialect. When the students talked among themselves and didn't want others to know what they were saying they'd use their village dialect.

Travel can be fun but if your just visiting tourist attractions you're missing out on the real value of travel.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Agreed, you want to get out where the people are and see how they live, though unless you make an attempt to learn the language you won't get as much as if you did. I suck at languages, so this is always a challenge for me.

One nice thing about the UK is that the language is close enough to ours that you can converse in it. France, forget it, they speak French. You might get some English in Paris, but otherwise they have a cultural Thing about their language. Italy, hell, half the signs are in English, at least in Rome. If you look American, they expect you to speak it. YMMV.

Getting away from the tourist thing is a good way to understand that there's more to this planet than what scared white Protestants in American suburbs want you to believe.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:57 am Agreed, you want to get out where the people are and see how they live, though unless you make an attempt to learn the language you won't get as much as if you did. I suck at languages, so this is always a challenge for me.

One nice thing about the UK is that the language is close enough to ours that you can converse in it. France, forget it, they speak French. You might get some English in Paris, but otherwise they have a cultural Thing about their language. Italy, hell, half the signs are in English, at least in Rome. If you look American, they expect you to speak it. YMMV.

Getting away from the tourist thing is a good way to understand that there's more to this planet than what scared white Protestants in American suburbs want you to believe.
The thing I learned having been stationed in Europe is if you make an attempt to talk to people in their language they'll respond to you in English. In many European countries, students are required to learn and be fluent in a second language. In Germany, when I was out and about and talked to a German I'd use my limited German vocabulary and they're recognized I'm an American and they begin speaking in English. There were Germans who pretended not to understand English but once I tried speaking in their language they opened up and spoke English. A friend and myself were in the Netherlands doing a staff assistance visit and we finished early so we took the train to Amsterdam. We were sitting and talking to each other on the train and there was a young woman across from us. She asked, in English, if we were Americans and we said yes. She was a college student and as we talked to her we asked her how to say things in Dutch and she said the Dutch would rather have us speak English to them because their language is difficult for others to speak plus the like to practice their English whenever they can.

I have friends who've gone to Europe recently and I've recommended to them to get away from the cities, about 10 - 20 kilometers, to get a real taste of the country's food and culture. In Germany, I went on a number 10K Volksmarches through the Germany countryside. At the end of the Volksmarch was food you could buy made by the locals rather than from supermarkets or restaurants and that's where some of the best food I ate in Germany came from.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That's certainly true in Italy, unless you get way out in the boonies. Dutch, I can't say, never having been there, but it does seem as if English is well established as a second language there. Europe of course is a collection of little countries where the language changes ever few hundred miles, so it's definitely true that they learn more than one of them, and English gets you a long way most places.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:02 pm That's certainly true in Italy, unless you get way out in the boonies. Dutch, I can't say, never having been there, but it does seem as if English is well established as a second language there. Europe of course is a collection of little countries where the language changes ever few hundred miles, so it's definitely true that they learn more than one of them, and English gets you a long way most places.
I was stationed in Europe in the 80s during the Red Brigade bombings and we were told to keep a low profile off base and not draw attention to yourself otherwise you could become a target. That was kind of hard to do because our clothes gave us away as well as some of our peculiar behavior such as talking and laughing too loud and expecting everyone to treat us special because we were Americans. I'll tell friends going to Europe to tone it down when talking, laughing, or doing things. Also, be respectful of the people where you are. Don't talk about how much better the US is but instead notice the differences and understand why they do things that way.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I try to stay conscious of that. I attempt to stay aware that everything I'm thinking about, say, the British monarchy, is what they are thinking about the mass shootings and Congressional infighting in this country. Cultural relativism will get you a long way here.

I'm actually learning a lot when I look at how they do things in other countries. It's a big help if you don't go in thinking that the rest of the world just hasn't caught on to how great America is, even though this country does still live up to its rhetoric on occasion.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:36 am I try to stay conscious of that. I attempt to stay aware that everything I'm thinking about, say, the British monarchy, is what they are thinking about the mass shootings and Congressional infighting in this country. Cultural relativism will get you a long way here.

I'm actually learning a lot when I look at how they do things in other countries. It's a big help if you don't go in thinking that the rest of the world just hasn't caught on to how great America is, even though this country does still live up to its rhetoric on occasion.
I was stationed at Osan AB, South Korea and my AF apartment was in an off-base complex. I took the bus each way to and from work and often I'd see a new, multi-storied building being built and instead of steel scaffolding they were using bamboo. I thought that was crazy but I later learned that bamboo is a stronger material for scaffolding than steel. In another instance, I say three South Korean men digging a pit with a shovel and it wasn't the way we'd do it. The shovel didn't have a handle but had three ropes tied to it. One rope at the top corner of the shovel and the third at the bottom. The men would position themselves in a triangle and drop the shovel into the pit. The man with the rope tied to the bottom of the shovel would pull his rope towards him and then all three would raise the shovel with their ropes and deposit what they dug to the side of the pit. They worked in a rhythm and dug the pit faster and if all three had a shovel.

I like learning new things even if they don't affect me directly. Observing how others do things is one way I learn.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:29 pm I was stationed at Osan AB, South Korea and my AF apartment was in an off-base complex. I took the bus each way to and from work and often I'd see a new, multi-storied building being built and instead of steel scaffolding they were using bamboo. I thought that was crazy but I later learned that bamboo is a stronger material for scaffolding than steel. In another instance, I say three South Korean men digging a pit with a shovel and it wasn't the way we'd do it. The shovel didn't have a handle but had three ropes tied to it. One rope at the top corner of the shovel and the third at the bottom. The men would position themselves in a triangle and drop the shovel into the pit. The man with the rope tied to the bottom of the shovel would pull his rope towards him and then all three would raise the shovel with their ropes and deposit what they dug to the side of the pit. They worked in a rhythm and dug the pit faster and if all three had a shovel.

I like learning new things even if they don't affect me directly. Observing how others do things is one way I learn.
Usually, I would take your word for it, as you are credible, and not prone to repeating shit you just hear without confirming it. Having said that, you made me curious, and it seems for the most part you ARE correct. https://interestingengineering.com/inno ... t-to-steel

It DOES have a higher tensile strength, but, having said that, there are a few minor caveats, being that they are prone to weakening by insect or water, but it is widely used, I guess where they grow a lot of bamboo. Good stuff.

Yes, always good to learn something new. Some folks think we’re the smartest on the planet, and that’s not always the case, and we always can learn from others.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:51 am Usually, I would take your word for it, as you are credible, and not prone to repeating shit you just hear without confirming it. Having said that, you made me curious, and it seems for the most part you ARE correct. https://interestingengineering.com/inno ... t-to-steel

It DOES have a higher tensile strength, but, having said that, there are a few minor caveats, being that they are prone to weakening by insect or water, but it is widely used, I guess where they grow a lot of bamboo. Good stuff.

Yes, always good to learn something new. Some folks think we’re the smartest on the planet, and that’s not always the case, and we always can learn from others.
A couple of years ago, 60 Minutes did a report on bamboo being used in Asia as scaffolding. In addition to using bamboo, it's the way workers use rope to tie the bamboo to stabilize the scaffolding. The bamboo use grown in a similar manner to the way tree farms in the U.S. are. The difference is bamboo is a fast growing plant so it can be harvested over and over again.

Another thing I saw a Osan AF was how they insulated the base theater. In the winter, you'd have to wear a coat and gloves to stay warm. The base let a contract to insulate the building and what the local contractor did was to use construction glue to glue thick squares of styrofoam to the outside of the building, covered it with chicken wire, and then applied stucco to it. I've got to admit, it worked.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Bamboo is good for a whole lot of things, and yes, even in a climate like SoCal it grows like a weed only faster. It's remarkable how fast the stuff grows. It has those weird segments, which make good places to tie it together with plain old rope, as opposed to some fancy material made from non-renewable resources.

It's also light and flexible, making it the most commonly used material for spreaders in wire quad antennas.

I love it.
plunderer
Site Admin

Post by plunderer »

Been to many of the continuous 48 - bucket list is Hawaii. Outside of US is only Canada and Aruba.

I'm happy remaining domestic, for the most part.

-P
gounion

Post by gounion »

plunderer wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm Been to many of the continuous 48 - bucket list is Hawaii. Outside of US is only Canada and Aruba.

-P
Hey, where you live might as well be a foreign country! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Number6

Post by Number6 »

plunderer wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm Been to many of the continuous 48 - bucket list is Hawaii. Outside of US is only Canada and Aruba.

-P
I haven't been to Hawaii and I've never had an urge to visit it either. I figure it's too touristy. My neighbor, retired Navy, is headed out to Hawaii for work for a couple of weeks. He said he was stationed there for four years so he's familiar with the area.

I've done enough traveling outside the U.S. so like you I'm happy to remain domestic.
Glennfs

Post by Glennfs »

I have driven every mile of every interstate in the USA multiple times.
Driven in Canada Toronto to Montreal
Visited many Mexican border towns
Regret not having visited foreign countries
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Glennfs wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:00 am I have driven every mile of every interstate in the USA multiple times.
Driven in Canada Toronto to Montreal
Visited many Mexican border towns
Regret not having visited foreign countries
If you get to opportunity to visit an overseas country, take it. The thing I saw with a lot of Americans is they see things in a country and then compare them to the U.S. instead of thinking of how and why they do things there. I was with some friends in Kaiserslautern, Germany and there was a dump truck on the street next to a building site. Instead of cordoning off the street so the dump truck could back up and dump it's load the dump truck could tilt its bed to the left or right and dump its load. I thought that was smart. In South Korea, I saw people moving into a high rise apartment and instead of carrying boxes and furniture up the stairs or in an elevator they used a rail system to the apartment's balcony or window. They removed the balcony's sliding door or window, attached the rail, and loaded it with boxes/furniture and up it went where movers unloaded it.

The other thing to do in another country is to get away from the cities and into the country to sample the country's real cuisine.