RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

For about a week now, the National Solar Observatory in Sunspot, NM has been evacuated of all personnel and sealed off by the government. FBI is on scene. Agents come and go in Blackhawk helos. They have also shut down the local post office.

This has really got the conspiracy press going. It's the biggest flap since that book on HAARP came out, and that was a LONG time ago.

I can't put up any links. It's all too out there. Find it on Google News.

Suggested reasons for the government action include:

1. Law enforcement saw something it didn't like at the beginning of last week's solar wind geomagnetic storm, which the conspiracy people are also really on about. Well, there was indeed a magnetic storm at the time, but it wasn't all that big a one. I think it briefly got to G2. You need G5 for the fun stuff. Not even close. Made some nice aurora, and that was about it.

1a. The observatory had predicted the end of the world due to last week's pissy magnetic storm, and the government is suppressing information to prevent mass panic.

2. Terrorists had taken over a secret magnetic weapon at the observatory (it's around 9/11 after all), and were foiled by swift government action.

3. The observatory had found space aliens. (They're serious.)

3a. The E.T.s had taken over the observatory. (Where's Peter Coyote when we need him?)

4. Russian hackers had seized control of radio antennas at the site, and were using them to spy on White Sands.

5. It's all Hillary's fault. (I made that one up.)

Developing...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

They have an 8 ton Mercury float bearing at the top of the place.

Eight tons of metallic mercury could pose some risk to the environment if say it were to be a the center of an explosion which would disperse and vaporize it. It would contaminate New Mexico Oklahoma and Texas.

Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia.

Florida.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

all i can add is this....from texas to NM(mid to southern) we have net outages each day lately.
one person called the phone co re the wifi and was told...the sun is at such an angle presently
it interferes with the signal. TX today mentioned their PC issues each day lately.
as soon as i heard this i remembered hearing it some years back in CO. we'd get lousy signal
as the sun moved lower in the sky in the fall, when the rays were very highly directly more Direct.
Bransons the Sunport is also down in this area, they fired off a rocket was it yesterday?, day before?

wiki sunspot nm....
Quote:
The road leading to Sunspot from Cloudcroft is New Mexico State Road 6563, named for the brightest wavelength of hydrogen emission, H-alpha. This scenic byway features signposts marking the relative locations of the planets from the sun in proportion to their distance to Sunspot.

The telescope is open to the public, and the visitors center offers guided tours of the site on Saturdays and Sundays. On other days there is a self guided 1/2 mile trail around the telescope and White Sands overlook

In 2018, Sunspot Solar Observatory took over the operations of the Dunn Solar Telescope and Visitors Center under the Director, Dr McAteer, faculty member in the Astronomy Department at New Mexico State University

On September 6, 2018, AURA voluntarily closed Sunspot temporarily for 'security reasons'.[5]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Solar outages affect mostly TV networks and rural Internet providers fed by geostationary satellites. They happen when the sun reaches the same position in the sky as some bird in the Clarke Belt. The weak radio waves caused by hyperfine quantum transitions on the sun are still strong enough to interfere with these downlinks. You get a fuzzy picture, or it goes away altogether. It lasts about 10-15 minutes.

When I had more time, or something, I got pretty good at predicting these. They do happen around now, after the spring equinox and before the fall one. You get a good fix on your location. (GPS will suffice.) You can get the sun's position from tables and the satellite's position from reference lists. You can find out which bird your channel is on, then you can watch it go away.

Frankly, that was more interesting than what those channels did the rest of the year.

-----

I wish I could explain the solar observatory thing that easily.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Falling into the "just because I am paranoid that doesn't mean they are not out to get me" category: on Tuesday our landline crapped out. ATT said it would take until September 27 to fix. WTF?? Then they were supposed to have someone here on Wednesday to fix it. They did not show up. When I called them they said it was a problem at one of their centers, whatever the flock that means, and they would have it fixed by 5:00. 5:00 rolls around and it wasn't fixed. Thursday I step out for some errands and lo and behold ATT truck shows up at the house. My mother-in-law tried to keep the guy here but he said he had to address something down the road. I get back and see the truck down the road where the guy is in the cherry picker doing something in one of those big access cylinders on the phone line. Was fixed about an hour later. Who the hell knows what goes on.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

For about a week now, the National Solar Observatory in Sunspot, NM has been evacuated of all personnel and sealed off by the government. FBI is on scene. Agents come and go in Blackhawk helos. They have also shut down the local post office.

This has really got the conspiracy press going. It's the biggest flap since that book on HAARP came out, and that was a LONG time ago.

I can't put up any links. It's all too out there. Find it on Google News.

Suggested reasons for the government action include:

1. Law enforcement saw something it didn't like at the beginning of last week's solar wind geomagnetic storm, which the conspiracy people are also really on about. Well, there was indeed a magnetic storm at the time, but it wasn't all that big a one. I think it briefly got to G2. You need G5 for the fun stuff. Not even close. Made some nice aurora, and that was about it.

The probably had their computers hijacked and were told to unlock their computers they'd have to take the ransom to the National Solar Observatory

Quote:
1a. The observatory had predicted the end of the world due to last week's pissy magnetic storm, and the government is suppressing information to prevent mass panic.

It takes very little time (from less than 10 minutes to a couple of days) for the particles from a solar flare to reach Earth. Not much time to prepare for it unless you're in a ScFiB-movie.

Quote:
2. Terrorists had taken over a secret magnetic weapon at the observatory (it's around 9/11 after all), and were foiled by swift government action.

The way the Trump Administration leaks it would be hard for this to be kept quiet.

Quote:
3. The observatory had found space aliens. (They're serious.)

And Trump's kids are colluding with them, under the guise of adopting children, to ensure the gop wins in 2018 and Trump wins in 2020.

Quote:
3a. The E.T.s had taken over the observatory. (Where's Peter Coyote when we need him

Why would E.T.s want inferior technology unless they're trying to phone home. Maybe they ought to change their cell phone carrier.

Quote:
4. Russian hackers had seized control of radio antennas at the site, and were using them to spy on White Sands.

And they're downloading movies from HBO.

Quote:
5. It's all Hillary's fault. (I made that one up.)

Have you been channeling your inner-Donald Trump?

Quote:
Developing...

Probably a nothing story but just the same, it's interesting something is happening at such a remote spot. In the later part of 1990, I was on temporary duty (TDY) to Holloman AFB and on weekends I'd drive to the nearby Sacramento Mountains where Sunspot is located. It sounds like there's a massive complex there like the name might imply. It's more like a rural bump-in-the-road. If you look on Google Earth, you'll see it's nothing impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

They have an 8 ton Mercury float bearing at the top of the place.

Eight tons of metallic mercury could pose some risk to the environment if say it were to be a the center of an explosion which would disperse and vaporize it. It would contaminate New Mexico Oklahoma and Texas.

Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia.

Florida.

That would have to be a helluva explosion to contaminate three states. If was a mercury spill, it would seem more appropriate for the EPA to close the facility than the FBI.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

hmmmmm.
here is Bransons built space center now owned by "Spaceport America is owned and operated by the State of New Mexico, via a state agency, the New Mexico Spaceport Authority.[1][2][3]"

"Spaceport America is an FAA-licensed spaceport located on 18,000 acres (7,300 hectares) of State Trust Land in the Jornada del Muerto desert basin in New Mexico, United States directly west and adjacent to U.S. Army's White Sands Missile Range"

vs Almagordo to the east.
https://www.kvia.com/news/top-stories/c ... 793035021'
Closure of National Solar Observatory remains shrouded in secrecy---
Sept 12, 2018

SUNSPOT, New Mexico - The National Solar Observatory in Sunspot New Mexico has been closed since last Thursday.
The post office near Sunspot also remains closed. Its employees have been temporarily transferred to the post office in Cloudcroft, a USPS official told ABC-7.

ABC-7 has confirmed the post office in Sunspot will not be re-opened until further notice, and cannot be re-opened until approved by local law enforcement officials.

ABC-7 Monday spoke with Shari Lifson, who is with Aura, the company that co-manages the Observatory with NMSU. Lifson told ABC 7 there is no time-table for the Observatory to be re-opened.

ABC-7 also reached out the FBI, but did not hear back from the federal agency in time for deadline. The FBI did speak with local law enforcement about the length of the observatory closure.

"They spoke with my sergeant initially and they said that they would be down for a few days so that could be anywhere from a few days to months, from my past experience," said Sheriff Benny House.

The FBI did not tell Sheriff House the reason for the closure.

Sheriff Benny House did tell ABC 7 that his local law enforcement did not have anything to do with either the observatory closure, or the Sunspot post office Closure.

A spokesperson for the United States Postal Service told ABC 7 that they were given specific instructions. "We were told on September 6th that we would be evacuated along with the surrounding area, we were not told why," Rod Sturgeon said, "We were told just to be out of the area."

Sturgeon told ABC 7 that he did not know who ordered the evacuation, adding "We remain suspended until we are allowed to return.

Last edited by rainwater on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

sorry, not to confuse but Sunspot NM is diff from the spaceport in NM.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/te ... 7/?cat=500
September 13, 2018 10:12 PM
SUNSPOT, NEW MEXICO – The mystery surrounding the evacuation of a small mountainous area in Southern New Mexico has led to a lot of conspiracy theories.

The Sunspot Solar Observatory is blocked by a line of caution tape. Officials with the observatory say they are investigating a security incident.

Local law enforcement said the FBI is the agency investigating, but they remain in the dark.
'Telescope did not see aliens,' but Sunspot mystery continues

“The FBI has not contacted us. We don't know what they took, what their reason for being there was. We have no information on it," said Sgt. Jon Emery of the Otero County Sheriff’s Office.

Residents who have been evacuated said they haven’t gotten many answers either.

“It is very frustrating being out of our home. I will say that and I can't wait until this is over," Sean Williams said.

He’s heard about the conspiracy theories flooding the internet.

“Boy, people come up with some outlandish stuff," he said. “An alien landed here."

However, James McAteer, a New Mexico State University professor who is also the director of the Sunspot Solar Observatory said the “telescope did not see aliens. All data will be made public in its unaltered form. Nothing is hidden or kept secret."

The FBI has not commented on the investigation.

Evacuees said they have not been told when they could possibly return home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

from sept 6 until Currently people have been evac'd from this area and not allowed back home.
and, they dont know why.

no one is giving out a reason(s) for having to mandatory evacuate leavin all yer shit behind.
this is pretty weird.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, they evacuated the whole town of Sunspot, NM, such as it is. It's on a mountain peak. The observatory is really the only thing up there. It has about 25 small buildings on a couple of little streets, including the visitors' center and post office (such as it is). I assume the post office exists for the same reason as the one in Harmony, CA (population 18). Tourists like the postmark. There's also the solar tower, and two other domes.

All this place does is take pictures of the sun. These telescopes work best up in the air (above hot ground) and with a very long focal length. There's typically a tower over a pit, which then sends the beam back up the tower. Like Sam said, the whole top of this one rests on a huge mercury bearing. They send the light through various optical systems to various instruments. Spectroscopes, optical filters, beam splitters, that kind of thing. H-alpha filter. Etc. No active probes, just observing.

I keep reading about "antennas," but I can't find anything of any consequence on the site with Google Earth. HAARP it ain't. There's a small radio that links data to a university or something, but it's about the size of a home CB. The news stories all say people were climbing towers and checking things. What towers? The only tower (besides the telescope) that's visible has water in it. Radio towers are hard to see, but their shadows aren't. Is Google Earth censored? They usually just blur things.

It's all too strange.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

dont know if "antenna" means these or not. SocorroNM is not that far from both the
space center or the sunspot tower. couple hours for both. 90mins maybe.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14701
The Very Large Array (VLA)
Socorro, New Mexico

It's huge, it's spacey, it's free. The Very Large Array has become a destination for people like us who know nothing about astrophysical masers or aperture synthesis interferometry.

We drove out to the remote Very Large Array because it's a sci-fi icon, instantly recognizable eye candy from films such as Contact, Independence Day, and Terminator Salvation. Bon Jovi shot a rock video here.

The pop culture image impression is that the giant antennas in the Very Large Array are part of SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence). In fact, they aren't. Officially the dishes only listen to intergalactic noisemakers such as black holes and pulsars, although if someone from another planet said hello it would probably be picked up here pretty quickly. ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

This has been bugging me. I asked who would have the authority to have done this and then worked down from the White House looking for the governing authority which have shut it down.

I found it:

https://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2018 ... fy2018.pdf

Quote:
Prior to receiving the PRC report, NSF had instructed NSO to begin divestment of the facilities on Kitt
Peak, including the McMath-Pierce solar telescope and the Vacuum Tower (no longer in use), thereby
accelerating the already-planned divestment by a few years. The PRC endorsed this decision. The PRC
recommended continued operation of the Dunn Solar Telescope (DST) at Sacramento Peak through 2017
and a 50 percent reduction in funding of the NSO integrated synoptic program (NISP). The status of the
divestment of NSO operated facilities is as follows:

• McMath-Pierce solar telescope, Kitt Peak, AZ: A university-based consortium previously expressed
interest in continuing operations of the McMath-Pierce at a reduced level; however, this consortium
has not materialized. NSO is in the final year of the ramp down of its participation in McMath-Pierce
from $200,000 in FY 2014 to $0.0 by the end of FY 2017. NSF completed a divestment options study
of NSO facilities on Kitt Peak and anticipates beginning the environmental impact statement (EIS)
process in FY 2017. On March 31, 2017, NSO/AURA issued a request for proposals from parties
interested in taking over operation of McMath-Pierce for scientific and educational purposes.
Applicants submitted letters of intent by the May 1, 2017 deadline.

• Sacramento Peak Observatory, Sunspot, NM: This facility includes the DST and associated
infrastructure including office space, laboratory space, dining facilities, and housing. Funding for full
operations of Sacramento Peak ramps down to the end of FY 2017 at which time NSO will cease
operating the facility. A proposal from New Mexico State University (NMSU) to transition operations
of the facility from NSO to an NMSU-led consortium was funded in FY 2016. NSF completed a
divestment options study of NSO facilities on Sacramento Peak in Q3 of FY 2016. In compliance with
the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), NSF began preparation of an Environmental Impact
Statement (EIS) in Q4 of FY 2016. The EIS is expected to be completed in FY 2018.

• NSO Integrated Synoptic Program: NISP consists of the Global Oscillations Network Group (GONG)
and the Synoptic Optical Long-term Investigations of the Sun (SOLIS). GONG now has a component
of its operations funding provided through a 5-year (FY 2016 – FY 2020) interagency agreement with
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). This NOAA funding supports the
use of GONG and its data products for operational space weather forecasting (see Partnerships section
below).

This is still a loose end. I think it likely that in this decommissioning impact statement is the reason they have told folks to go away and not be there.

"In compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), NSF began preparation of an Environmental Impact
Statement (EIS) in Q4 of FY 2016. The EIS is expected to be completed in FY 2018."

I mentioned that huge amount of Metallic Mercury. Which by the way is worth about 120,000 dollars. They might be guarding that to prevent a major contamination risk and guard it because it is worth something as well, until it can be removed.

There might be all sorts of scientific contamination which needs to be mitigated before the site can be abandon by the government.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

The site was taken over by AURA, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy. They're finally talking, and the observatory is re-opening.

http://www.aura-astronomy.org/news/news.asp?newsID=389

Quote:
On September 6th, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) made the decision to temporarily vacate the Sunspot Solar Observatory at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico as a precautionary measure while addressing a security issue. The facility closed down in an orderly fashion and is now re-opening. The residents that vacated their homes will be returning to the site, and all employees will return to work this week.

AURA has been cooperating with an on-going law enforcement investigation of criminal activity that occurred at Sacramento Peak. During this time, we became concerned that a suspect in the investigation potentially posed a threat to the safety of local staff and residents. For this reason, AURA temporarily vacated the facility and ceased science activities at this location.

The decision to vacate was based on the logistical challenges associated with protecting personnel at such a remote location, and the need for expeditious response to the potential threat. AURA determined that moving the small number of on-site staff and residents off the mountain was the most prudent and effective action to ensure their safety.

Huh? This doesn't answer much. Why so hush hush if it's a bad guy in the woods? Why FBI in Black Helicopters? What were they after the "suspect" for? Or is that the cover story?

There's a hell of a movie script in here somewhere, crying to get out. Cell phones are being picked up all over Los Angeles. Many lunches impend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

hmmm. about two weeks ago i heard, Heard a chopper heading down the canyon, there is a AF base
down there, we get them overhead now and then. mostly Hueys and they do med evacs up here.

this one, it was bigger, bigger Sound and looked to be packing two long tubes of fury beneath the wings.
i thot it a bit different at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

i wonder if the "suspect" had big round eyes...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's above White Sands, not Roswell. ;-)

I'm wondering if there isn't a national security angle to all this, and the observatory was just in the wrong place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's above White Sands, not Roswell. ;-)

I'm wondering if there isn't a national security angle to all this, and the observatory was just in the wrong place.

its NM, everyone is suspect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:13 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes, they evacuated the whole town of Sunspot, NM, such as it is. It's on a mountain peak. The observatory is really the only thing up there. It has about 25 small buildings on a couple of little streets, including the visitors' center and post office (such as it is). I assume the post office exists for the same reason as the one in Harmony, CA (population 18). Tourists like the postmark. There's also the solar tower, and two other domes.

All this place does is take pictures of the sun. These telescopes work best up in the air (above hot ground) and with a very long focal length. There's typically a tower over a pit, which then sends the beam back up the tower. Like Sam said, the whole top of this one rests on a huge mercury bearing. They send the light through various optical systems to various instruments. Spectroscopes, optical filters, beam splitters, that kind of thing. H-alpha filter. Etc. No active probes, just observing.

I keep reading about "antennas," but I can't find anything of any consequence on the site with Google Earth. HAARP it ain't. There's a small radio that links data to a university or something, but it's about the size of a home CB. The news stories all say people were climbing towers and checking things. What towers? The only tower (besides the telescope) that's visible has water in it. Radio towers are hard to see, but their shadows aren't. Is Google Earth censored? They usually just blur things.

It's all too strange.

Sounds like someone might have been on the verge of going "postal" prompting the evacuation and investigation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:35 am 
Board Emeritus

It turns out it was thieves. The government gave the old telescope and logistics site to an organization which several universities created to take and run the observatory.

A change of hands and some expensive instruments took that opportunity to grow legs. :|

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Could be, the time frame is right. I think the transition started in 2017.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I read an article where that is what they said, thieves hauling off expensive electronic test gear for the instrumentation, and I got the impression that telescopes diffraction instruments were growing legs as well, without the part about they're being new about it, and perhaps making some basic mistakes with their change of command.

That telescope is a gigantic optical spectrometer. There's some pretty exotic instrumentation available for placing at the target area of a spectrometer.

The issue I see is if the telescope is going to continue to be used it has to be maintained and the cost of that is simply too high for even several universities banding together to foot the bill.

Just to have a receptionist lead staff and a grounds flunky around full time would pretty much eat up that $200,000 annual budget the government had cut back to just before they handed it over. And from what I've read i have the impression the universities have reduced the budget even further.

It is a neat instrument with just days in the Sun to go before it would become a walk around inside it museum at best. It's not cutting edge.

CU in Boulder has been the school which had the government contract to operate the observatory in the past. They come close to having a free standing astronomy department, few universities do.

At CSU also in Colorado the astronomy department there amounted to one lonely professor who taught the elective courses the department needed covered to turn out well rounded graduates. I liked him. :)

He used to come down to my lonely instrument shop down in the basement. I cut some fine threads on the ends of optical tubes for him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

its still weirdsville.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/sun ... 5/?cat=500
Sunspot Observatory reopens as mystery surrounding closure continues--
September 17, 2018 05:26 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Sunspot Observatory in southern New Mexico reopened Monday. However, the FBI is still not saying why it was closed and nearby homes and businesses were evacuated for 11 days.

A man, who says he works at the observatory, said $15,000 worth of equipment was stolen.
The employee also said loose security has led to criminal trespassing, vandalism, and theft.

However, the observatory director disputes the employee’s claims.
"There is not $15,000 of stuff stolen. That's just false," said Dr. James McAteer.

Dr. McAteer manages the site from Las Cruces. He admits that he’s in the dark about the reason behind the shutdown and evacuations.
"When anyone is in charge of the investigation or in charge of the site is ready to come out say what those things are, I'll find out, same time you find out," Dr. McAteer said.

Aura, which owns and operates the site, said there was a security risk. In a statement, the company said a suspect, in a criminal investigation, posed a potential threat to staff.
KOB reached out to the FBI. It referred all questions to Aura, which has not answered any questions
:rw) :rw)

http://www.aura-astronomy.org/news/news.asp?newsID=389
AURA Statement about the Status of the Sunspot Solar Observatory at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico
September 16, 2018
Sunspot Solar Observatory is transitioning back to regular operations as of September 17th

On September 6th, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) made the decision to temporarily vacate the Sunspot Solar Observatory at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico as a precautionary measure while addressing a security issue. The facility closed down in an orderly fashion and is now re-opening. The residents that vacated their homes will be returning to the site, and all employees will return to work this week.

AURA has been cooperating with an on-going law enforcement investigation of criminal activity that occurred at Sacramento Peak. During this time, we became concerned that a suspect in the investigation potentially posed a threat to the safety of local staff and residents. For this reason, AURA temporarily vacated the facility and ceased science activities at this location.

The decision to vacate was based on the logistical challenges associated with protecting personnel at such a remote location, and the need for expeditious response to the potential threat. AURA determined that moving the small number of on-site staff and residents off the mountain was the most prudent and effective action to ensure their safety.

In light of recent developments in the investigation, we have determined there is no risk to staff, and Sunspot Solar Observatory is transitioning back to regular operations as of September 17th. Given the significant amount of publicity the temporary closure has generated, and the consequent expectation of an unusual number of visitors to the site, we are temporarily engaging a security service while the facility returns to a normal working environment.

We recognize that the lack of communications while the facility was vacated was concerning and frustrating for some. However, our desire to provide additional information had to be balanced against the risk that, if spread at the time, the news would alert the suspect and impede the law enforcement investigation. That was a risk we could not take.

About Sunspot Solar Observatory

Since late 2017, the Sunspot Solar Observatory Consortium has run the Sunspot Visitors Center as well as daily research activities for the solar community with the Dunn Solar Telescope, in collaboration with The National Solar Observatory (NSO.) AURA, through NSO, continues to manage the site. There are approximately nine New Mexico State University and AURA staff employed at the observatory.

Sunspot Solar Observatory was established on Sacramento Peak in 1947, and is based in Sunspot, NM, in the United States. Sunspot is an unincorporated community in the Sacramento Mountains in Otero County. Named after the nearby solar observatory, Sunspot is located within the Lincoln National Forest, 18 miles south of Cloudcroft, at an elevation of 9200 feet (2800 m).

NSO operated the Dunn Solar Telescope at the observatory from 1969 to 2017, managed by AURA under an agreement with the National Science Foundation (NSF). Beginning in 2016, the New Mexico State University initiated a drive funded by NSF to upgrade and update the Sunspot facility, through a newly-formed Sunspot Solar Observatory Consortium. All observational data is sent to New Mexico State University servers and research from the data is performed nationwide.

The National Solar Observatory (NSO) is the national center for ground-based solar physics in the United States and is operated by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) under a cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation Division of Astronomical Sciences

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

UCLA has a large astronomy department. They helped restore the Mt. Wilson 100-inch and 60-inch telescopes, which I believe are now essentially used for rental star parties. Despite L.A. lights, the location of the mountain above the inversion still makes for nice calm air and pretty good darkness. The place is very spiritual.

I believe Wilson still has a large array of small telescopes that does real science.

There's an optical observatory on another hill right next to Sunspot, NM that also does star parties, I think.

I still want to hear from the FBI on this whole affair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
In light of recent developments in the investigation,

...um, such as? did you find the little grey unit that stole all the equipment?
maybe the grey was just looking thru it, maybe heeTee was just calling home.