Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:40 am 
Board Emeritus

matters to you, and it does or should.

I am just trying to help my friends save some time and money.

TV, fridge, washer/dryer, they all connect to internet now and that feature is very good and helpful.

Problem is Samsung has a company wide problem with staying connected. I have two of their new 4k tv's and had to get wifi extenders to keep them connected when devices in same area dont need the extender.

Their newest versions of TV are not fixed, still have this issue. I was about to buy one of the connected fridges, but since we are talking $3200 aprox, I have to choose now between LG and Kenmore.

Future tv's for me will be LG OLED's. Or Sony OLED.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm all for equal opportunities for everyone but the fridge, and the washer and dryer at my place would find it difficult to surf the web. They're clunky, clumsy and squat.

They'd fall off the surf board and sink.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

matters to you, and it does or should.

I am just trying to help my friends save some time and money.

TV, fridge, washer/dryer, they all connect to internet now and that feature is very good and helpful.

Problem is Samsung has a company wide problem with staying connected. I have two of their new 4k tv's and had to get wifi extenders to keep them connected when devices in same area dont need the extender.

Their newest versions of TV are not fixed, still have this issue. I was about to buy one of the connected fridges, but since we are talking $3200 aprox, I have to choose now between LG and Kenmore.

Future tv's for me will be LG OLED's. Or Sony OLED.

I'm suspicious of appliances connected to the internet. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older and it's an "age" thing. What is the advantage of having a refrigerator connected to the internet?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Supposedly "smart" refrigerators will track what you're out of, and order more of it. Who delivers it? An Amazon drone, I suppose.

I'm not sure how they will track what is what inside the door. Optical scan? That seems to be the technological problem.

I like that Progressive ad where the kid is asking his trash can to order a pizza for him. Maybe some appliances don't need any smarts. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Supposedly "smart" refrigerators will track what you're out of, and order more of it. Who delivers it? An Amazon drone, I suppose.

I'm not sure how they will track what is what inside the door. Optical scan? That seems to be the technological problem.

I like that Progressive ad where the kid is asking his trash can to order a pizza for him. Maybe some appliances don't need any smarts. :D

It probably would have to be some sort of optical scanner. Of course, you'd have to program your refrigerator as to what foods and their quantities you want. That's good for refrigerated items but then you still have canned and dry goods you have to do yourself.

I'm not sold on having my refrigerator or another appliance automatically ordering groceries for me. It seems that a person is limiting their choices in food and not taking into account changes in the types and variety of meals you want to make. Food delivery would mean I'd have to be home at a certain time to receive my groceries and that's limiting me. I can see where something like this can be a benefit for the elderly or shut-ins who would have a hard time getting to a store but personally, I'd rather go to the supermarket and do my own shopping.

I have a grocery app on my phone and I use that to make my grocery list. It takes me about five minutes to check my refrigerated items, canned and dry goods and enter them into the app. The app keeps my time in the store to a minimum, usually five to ten minutes before hitting the self-checkout lanes.