Traveling for the Holidays?

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
gounion

Traveling for the Holidays?

Post by gounion »

I usually don't. As I've said on the board, I'm not a big holiday person. But my wife's dad is, I dunno, 86 or 87. In 2022 his health got real bad, and he wouldn't go to a doctor, and we ended up damned near forcing him into the hospital. I thought we would lose him. But he had surgery, went through rehab, and is doing GREAT. But his other daughter, who lives in the same town, probably won't visit him, so my wife asked to go down. So, we'll drive down a week from Saturday, and drive home the day after Christmas. The turkey dinner and sports is about the only thing I REALLY look forward to at Christmas - and Thanksgiving.

I'm happy because all three of us are in much better health than we were to begin the year. Both him and my wife had some serious issues that are MUCH better now - I didn't have any real problems, but I started last June changing my lifestyle, as I've said. So we've got a lot to celebrate.

My only issue is the trip. I'm driving, and I gotta go through Atlanta. Yech. Of course, I'm used to Atlanta, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. More people all the time, but you can't make the roads any bigger very often. One time I went to get my wife, and spent about three extra hours on I-85. No wrecks, just bad time of day.

I'll leave really early Saturday, I figure the truck traffic may be lighter that weekend as the truckers try to be home for Christmas. But going back through Atlanta the day AFTER Christmas, a Tuesday? I'm betting that day the truck traffic will be twice as bad as usual, as they all go back to work!

I used to love to drive, I liked hitting the road. Not anymore! I much prefer my own adjustable Tempur-Pedic bed. It's heaven! I get eight solid hours of sleep every night with it. I guess that's what will bother me the most.

As for New Years? I'll be asleep well before midnight as I almost always am.
Number6

Re: Traveling for the Holidays?

Post by Number6 »

I don't celebrate Christmas or New Year's and haven't in over 40 years. I'll do like I always go and stay home and off the roads as much as possible. I'll get a couple of books or videos from the library to keep myself busy. I'm currently watching the first season of Picard on DVD and I'll check out the second season next week.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Yeah, we don't even do gifts at all. But we're in the situation that if we want something, we get it. And I found out at the beginning of our relationship that I am NOT to buy jewelry for my wife without her input! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I kid that Christmas helps people forget that a long, cold winter is on the way. But after Christmas, it's nothing but bleak, bleak, bleak until at least March.

Of course, you wouldn't know anything about this in Southern California!
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

In SoCal, there are two options. You can usually tell by Thanksgiving what kind of "winter" it will be.

One is where it never stops raining. Then people complain about the rain. The other is where a Santa Ana wind pattern establishes itself just before Halloween and lasts until March. It is too hot (sometimes 85-90 F) in the day, too cold at night, and everything catches fire. People complain about that too.

There used to often be a happy medium when both things would alternate. That was before climate change. Now it's always months of one or the other. Both get old in about the same amount of time.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:58 am Yeah, we don't even do gifts at all. But we're in the situation that if we want something, we get it. And I found out at the beginning of our relationship that I am NOT to buy jewelry for my wife without her input! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I kid that Christmas helps people forget that a long, cold winter is on the way. But after Christmas, it's nothing but bleak, bleak, bleak until at least March.

Of course, you wouldn't know anything about this in Southern California!
My parents and siblings stopped exchanging gifts back in the 80s deciding it's better if we just buy ourselves what we want.

I look forward to the period after Christmas because it signals a return to "normal." Where I live we have mild winters (no snow, yeah!) but we'll have plenty of days of overcast skies. It's also the time we get most of our yearly rainfall as well.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:07 pm In SoCal, there are two options. You can usually tell by Thanksgiving what kind of "winter" it will be.

One is where it never stops raining. Then people complain about the rain. The other is where a Santa Ana wind pattern establishes itself just before Halloween and lasts until March. It is too hot (sometimes 85-90 F) in the day, too cold at night, and everything catches fire. People complain about that too.

There used to often be a happy medium when both things would alternate. That was before climate change. Now it's always months of one or the other. Both get old in about the same amount of time.
After Halloween in the 70s, it would be just cold enough for a light jacket or sweater. It seems, lately, it's warmer and we know because of climate change our wildfire season is now yearlong. I like the warmer winter in that it allow me to continue wearing shorts outside. A nice, mild winter is what I like.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

San Diego is a different microclimate zone than LA. A lot of people up here miss the earlier pattern of chilly winter nights with warm afternoons for parades you can televise back to the Midwest and sell more real estate. Ideally, this is punctuated by just enough rain to make plants grow and keep the fire danger down. Now it seems like it's either one or the other for months at a stretch.

We actually have a forecast that would indicate just enough rain to keep the fire danger down for a few weeks. I don't trust weather forecasts in LA. Too many variables, and we don't understand all of them as well as we should. I am not a meteorologist, though, so we shall see what we shall see.

The only trips I make during the holidays are sports car fun. The freeways and mountain passes I leave to the madding crowd.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
plunderer
Site Admin

Post by plunderer »

You guys are a bunch of wet blankets.

We celebrate and we exchange gifts. It doesn't have to be about what you want/need. A gift can be priceless with no money spent.

Merry Christmas.
-P