All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Observations
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

All personal.

NYC:

1. In previous Octobers, the remnants of Atlantic hurricanes have combined with wind currents around cold fronts to produce noreasters. That's pretty normal. This year, there was one rain storm and one real cyclonic noreaster that came from the remnants of PACIFIC hurricanes. Willa and some other one. (I have a terrible memory for names.) The remnants tracked all the way across North America and contributed to storms in the other ocean. This is new.

1a. I don't remember tornadoes in the NE US in October. This year, at least six in PA and about the same in NY state. This is new.

2. Everyone is trying to build the world's tallest residential tower in a line along roughly 55th St. between Park Avenue and maybe 8th or 9th. The promised phalanx of these has materialized. The one that's been finished for 3 or so years still has hardly anyone living in it. Apparently, the whole phenomenon is parking for Chinese capital. It sure messes up the skyline.

3. City Law (whatever) has caused a construction boom in Manhattan, since one whole class of buildings now needs to be refaced. There's a sidewalk shed, as they call construction scaffolds, every couple of blocks. Ugly, but they do keep the rain off when you're walking in the street. Someone's son-in-law in the construction business sure made out on this one.

L.A.:

1. It wasn't 85 and allergic as I predicted, but it was 75 and allergic. The plane landed and taxied to the gate, and even before they opened the door I was stuffy and sneezing. 85 and allergic is predicted for today.

2. In my absence, the scooters took over. Now groups of teenagers are riding around, shouting and breaking traffic laws. God help us.

3. This time of year, the light really is about one f/ stop brighter than in NYC. Woody Allen nailed that one.

Both:

Happy Halloween/ All Hallow's Eve/ Samhain/ whatever you call it at your house.

Post subject: Re: Observations
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I thought you lived in LA...oops

If you live in Manhattan you are richer than anybody else here I think. Not that it matters. Sorry if that is too personal.

I am a Woody Allen fan, dont believe he did anything. But what do I know.

Louis CK is making a comeback, opinion?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. I've been bicoastal for something like 25 years. By now, I've spent long enough in NYC to be an honorary member of the tribe. (Ms. Z is one by birth anyway.) We have NY library cards, and I'm thinking about getting the city ID. It would give way too much away to describe how this situation came about. It also wouldn't be all that interesting.

2. We do conduct business on both coasts.

3. There's rich and there's rich. Were we to liquidate everything, we'd be rolling. I mean, serious money. We'd also be sleeping in the cars, and mine has no back seat. Otherwise, personally, I don't have any money. My checking account is woefully low, and seems to stay that way despite monthly funds coming into it. What did Woody Allen say? "I'm not liquid, or something. Something isn't flowing." Or something like that.

4. I've spent enough time in both cities to say with some credibility that Manhattan is vastly superior. Yes, it is an expensive pain in the ass, and you don't want to know how expensive. Yes, the weather can kill you. It's worth it. Otherwise, I think I'd rot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. I've been bicoastal for something like 25 years. By now, I've spent long enough in NYC to be an honorary member of the tribe. (Ms. Z is one by birth anyway.) We have NY library cards, and I'm thinking about getting the city ID. It would give way too much away to describe how this situation came about. It also wouldn't be all that interesting.

2. We do conduct business on both coasts.

3. There's rich and there's rich. Were we to liquidate everything, we'd be rolling. I mean, serious money. We'd also be sleeping in the cars, and mine has no back seat. Otherwise, personally, I don't have any money. My checking account is woefully low, and seems to stay that way despite monthly funds coming into it. What did Woody Allen say? "I'm not liquid, or something. Something isn't flowing." Or something like that.

4. I've spent enough time in both cities to say with some credibility that Manhattan is vastly superior. Yes, it is an expensive pain in the ass, and you don't want to know how expensive. Yes, the weather can kill you. It's worth it. Otherwise, I think I'd rot.

Well if you own real estate in Manhattan, yes, we live in different worlds for sure.

But I know the feeling of owning property and people assuming you are rich, sure no house payment but so what. In our case the cost to live in a house without a house payment is still substantial.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's like a boat. Bring Out Another Thousand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's like a boat. Bring Out Another Thousand.

That brownstone of yours will be worthless when Putin says the NYC recorders office no longer has authority.

My house out here the same.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

My library card gets used more than any other card in my wallet. I just checked-out, this afternoon, a book I placed a hold on. I also go there to read the local paper and sometimes the L.A. Times. The library is the best bargain in town.

Quote:

If I liquidated everything I would be okay. I could rent an apartment probably for the rest of my life and still have some money left over. However, since much of my money is tied to my condo (with a $200K mortgage left to be paid) I can still get by on my military retirement and Social Security. People seem to think just because you live in place X means you're rich; it doesn't. I had one guy ask me where I live and when I told him he said You must be rich." I told him "No, just fortunate." I know a couple of people worse off than me who live here and they say the same thing.

Quote:

I've never spent time in New York City so I don't have an opinion however from what I've seen of it on TV and from friends who've lived there it is community oriented. I could move to Podunk, Idaho and save a lot of money but like you I choose to live somewhere I feel comfortable and part of the community.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:59 am 
Board Emeritus

you couldnt drag my corpse back into NYC or for that matter any city back east.
not. on. a. bet.

there is no depth perception.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. Brownstone, I wish. Actually, I don't wish. Way too big. We'd have to rent it out to afford it, then someone else is living in it, so what's the point? Otherwise, there's not enough money in the world. Those are for billionaires, and the heirs of same. Try small 1-bedroom co-op apartment. A co-op is like a condo, only you own shares in the whole building. Either way you get assessed to fix the pipes on a fairly regular basis. BOAT.

2. Z's Law applies to NYC same as anywhere else. You can find deep people. I used to have more friends in New York than L.A.. They were deep. One guy was especially deep, and a joy to interact with, but he moved for business reasons.

2a. What I do notice is that people are more into status, and also it seems to matter more where you went to college. I find these customs rather quaint. I'm sure they find L.A. hang loose equally quaint.

3. NYC is a city created by successive waves of immigration, and this led to a number of ethnically based communities that remain fairly strong to this day. NYC, like London, is also big on neighborhoods, each with a very slightly different identity.

4. It's all a matter of what you grow up with. I know many people who won't set foot in New York, having grown up there. One snow storm and they'd lose it. Then there's Los Angeles, and Z. If I ever see another goddamn santa ana wind, it's one too many. I don't kick walls, because I'd hurt my foot and damage the wall. I suffer quietly. Also the earthquakes get old, and they keep promising I'll die in one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have spent my life cold.

I want to be warm. Doing something about it soon, but not soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

1. Brownstone, I wish. Actually, I don't wish. Way too big. We'd have to rent it out to afford it, then someone else is living in it, so what's the point? Otherwise, there's not enough money in the world. Those are for billionaires, and the heirs of same. Try small 1-bedroom co-op apartment. A co-op is like a condo, only you own shares in the whole building. Either way you get assessed to fix the pipes on a fairly regular basis. BOAT.

Co-ops are like an HOA but if you're getting assessed regularly then it sounds more like mismanagement by the co-op board than anything else. I'm the president of our 10-unit condo HOA and we, the owners, made the decision to raise our HOA fees to raise our reserve funds so that in five years our reserves will be 100% funded. This means we don't have to pay special assessments whenever something arises. Our philosophy is the owners pay now for future repairs because we're benefiting now for their use. It's unfair for a new owner to be assessed for something they haven't used.

Quote:
2a. What I do notice is that people are more into status, and also it seems to matter more where you went to college. I find these customs rather quaint. I'm sure they find L.A. hang loose equally quaint.

Status is prevalent in California too but it's mainly among those who think owning an Audi SUV or driving a Porsche is important. For most Californians, from my experience, status is only among people's own peer groups.

Quote:
3. NYC is a city created by successive waves of immigration, and this led to a number of ethnically based communities that remain fairly strong to this day. NYC, like London, is also big on neighborhoods, each with a very slightly different identity.

Southern California too experienced waves of immigration, primarily from the end of WWII to the late 90s. In the early migrations people settled with their ethnic peers so you'd have white, black, Mexican, and Asian enclaves.

Quote:
4. It's all a matter of what you grow up with. I know many people who won't set foot in New York, having grown up there. One snow storm and they'd lose it. Then there's Los Angeles, and Z. If I ever see another goddamn santa ana wind, it's one too many. I don't kick walls, because I'd hurt my foot and damage the wall. I suffer quietly. Also the earthquakes get old, and they keep promising I'll die in one.

The Santa Winds don't bother me. Perhaps it's because I was stationed in the desert outside Victorville, CA. for four years, spent a year in Phoenix, AZ., and four years in Eastern New Mexico where it's considered part of the High Plains but in the summer it's more like desert weather. As for earthquakes, I'll take them over waiting for a blizzard, tropical storm or hurricane to hit. At least with an earthquake, you either know what to do or you don't and besides, most of the earthquakes don't even get strong enough to wake me from a nap.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Co-ops and HOAs work a lot better when they city they're in doesn't keep passing laws that require lots of expensive construction.

City Law (whatever) came out of nowhere. Although a considerable investment had been made to keep everything up to codes, the new law suddenly required considerable time and money to reface the entire building. In the 2.5 or so years required for that to happen, some other infrastructure issues were put off. Now it's time to address those. New York weather requires a lot of equipment, which like anything else, wears out.

L.A. does have ethnic neighborhoods, especially in the west central areas, but you never hear about them. There isn't the level of civic participation you see in New York.

I.
Hate.
Santa.
Ana.
Winds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Co-ops and HOAs work a lot better when they city they're in doesn't keep passing laws that require lots of expensive construction.

City Law (whatever) came out of nowhere. Although a considerable investment had been made to keep everything up to codes, the new law suddenly required considerable time and money to reface the entire building. In the 2.5 or so years required for that to happen, some other infrastructure issues were put off. Now it's time to address those. New York weather requires a lot of equipment, which like anything else, wears out.

Why do the building have to be refaced?

Quote:
L.A. does have ethnic neighborhoods, especially in the west central areas, but you never hear about them. There isn't the level of civic participation you see in New York.

If you're a local then you know about them and where they are. If you're from out of town you only know Disneyland and a couple of other tourist traps.

Quote:
I.
Hate.
Santa.
Ana.
Winds.

The winds come with the territory. I'd rather put up with them than blizzards and rain storms.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Gimme those winds any day as opposed to it never going over 70 degrees and almost always is 56 and cloudy.

FUCK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why do the building have to be refaced?

About 10 years ago, there were several instances of pieces falling from buildings and injuring pedestrians. Subsequently, a law was passed requiring regular inspections and certain changes in construction. The building complied by replacing some brick facing, and a few balcony railings. It took about a year. Nothing happens fast in New York.

This situation is described here:

https://cooperator.com/article/on-the-bricks/full

Right after that, maybe around 2015 or so, before other matters could be attended to, the city hugely toughened up the inspections. It meant that many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of buildings would need to be completely refaced. Ours was one of these. Another assessment, several more years of construction. This concluded last year, and the building looks great. It hugely enhances its desirability.

Now it's time to get to other stuff that was deferred, such as the boiler and a lot of corroded piping. This turned out to be worse than expected. BOAT.

Such is life in New York. There's no cheap way to do it, and given the situation with rising sea levels and bigger storms, it's only going to get worse. Those of us who love NYC will find the money somewhere.

Quote:
If you're a local then you know about them and where they are. If you're from out of town you only know Disneyland and a couple of other tourist traps.

Pretty much true. Out of towners head straight for Hollywood, even though The Stars all live and cavort farther west. Everyone knows about the Latin@ influence, which created many neighborhoods, and of course the historically black places, but the Asians are just as present. L.A. has a Chinatown, a Koreatown, and two Japantowns.

Quote:
The winds come with the territory. I'd rather put up with them than blizzards and rain storms.

I guess I just had one too many. Like snow storms for a lot of people who now live in Florida. Hate 'em.

For me they bring allergy, power failures, trouble sleeping, and fear of fire. Also they're getting a lot more common, as if they're the new default most of the year.

It's all what you grew up with. I'd love a cooler climate but Libertas wants a warmer one. Fine. It's all OK. C'est la vie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

John Bolton is praising fascist strongman

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... -strongman

Quote:
Praising Openly Fascist Bolsonaro as 'Like-Minded,' John Bolton Hails Brazilian Strongman as Welcome Ally in Crushing Latin American Left
"This is frankly terrifying. A wave of fascism is sweeping the globe, led by Trump and his malevolent, unhinged cronies."

We have actual traitors occupying our govt. Something must be done if elections are stolen. Might be time to give up our comforts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

....fear of fire...

in SCa the only shit left to burn is housing. you dont got no vegetation formerly known as "trees"...
and that "national forest" is just dirt and cacti and buckbrush now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

About 10 years ago, there were several instances of pieces falling from buildings and injuring pedestrians. Subsequently, a law was passed requiring regular inspections and certain changes in construction. The building complied by replacing some brick facing, and a few balcony railings. It took about a year. Nothing happens fast in New York.

This situation is described here:

https://cooperator.com/article/on-the-bricks/full

Right after that, maybe around 2015 or so, before other matters could be attended to, the city hugely toughened up the inspections. It meant that many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of buildings would need to be completely refaced. Ours was one of these. Another assessment, several more years of construction. This concluded last year, and the building looks great. It hugely enhances its desirability.

As you probably know, California passed a law years ago requiring buildings built before a certain year need to be reinforced to withstand an earthquake. We have one unoccupied store in town than's been empty for at least 15 years and the brothers that own it refuse to make modifications to reinforce it so there's a sign on the building saying it's unsafe in the event of an earthquake. The city won't do anything because they're adverse to using eminent domain and the brothers are in negotiations with supermarket next door to either sell it or lease to them and have the supermarket make the modifications.

Quote:
Now it's time to get to other stuff that was deferred, such as the boiler and a lot of corroded piping. This turned out to be worse than expected. BOAT.

It's like I tell people if you want to live in Coronado then you need to be ready to spend the money to live here. In our HOA, we plan and budget fairly well to pay for our maintenance. We're not afraid of spending money on things that need it but we're not spendthrifts.

Quote:
Such is life in New York. There's no cheap way to do it, and given the situation with rising sea levels and bigger storms, it's only going to get worse. Those of us who love NYC will find the money somewhere.

[quoe]guess I just had one too many. Like snow storms for a lot of people who now live in Florida. Hate 'em.

For me they bring allergy, power failures, trouble sleeping, and fear of fire. Also they're getting a lot more common, as if they're the new default most of the year.

I have allergies that kick up during throughout the year and I don't have air conditioning to filter out the pollen. Living about 8 blocks from the ocean on an island, I really don't have to worry about the fires like people who live in the East County or near the foothills.

Quote:
It's all what you grew up with. I'd love a cooler climate but Libertas wants a warmer one. Fine. It's all OK. C'est la vie.

My father was in the Navy so as a kid I lived in Coronado, Florida, Tennessee, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Alabama so I've experienced a variety of weather conditions. Since I retired here, I become acclimatized and now it's cold when the temperature dips into the low 60s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have allergies that kick up during throughout the year and I don't have air conditioning to filter out the pollen. Living about 8 blocks from the ocean on an island, I really don't have to worry about the fires like people who live in the East County or near the foothills.

If you have a forced air furnace you can put an allergen air filter in where the normal filter goes. If you don't have a forced air system there are fans with an allergen filter available which free stand in a room and hum away.

Allergen air filters for furnaces and air conditioners are air filters which are marked as MERV rated 13 through 16. Free standing units are rated as being HEPA.

They do work for many people. If you need a free standing unit I recommend Honeywell but feel other some other brands are OK too. Here's the place to begin selecting one: https://www.honeywellpluggedin.com/air-purifiers I would think one could spend somewhere around 150 to 300 on this depending on the size of the apartment.

There are cheesy little do nothing units for sale. Little bitty humming things one set on a desk. They are good for producing that humming noise and little else.

If the price is less than 150 I would think it's more than likely to be a noise making gadget for folks who swear by humming noise. I'm saying that because it's remarkable how many folks will swear by those little does next to nothing desktop hummers. I've noticed one thing about those folks they tend to be smokers and smokers spouses. They set them next to an ash tray and think they've solved the problem, wishing for a solution to please another seems to please. A placebo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you have a forced air furnace you can put an allergen air filter in where the normal filter goes. If you don't have a forced air system there are fans with an allergen filter available which free stand in a room and hum away.

Allergen air filters for furnaces and air conditioners are air filters which are marked as MERV rated 13 through 16. Free standing units are rated as being HEPA.

They do work for many people. If you need a free standing unit I recommend Honeywell but feel other some other brands are OK too. Here's the place to begin selecting one: https://www.honeywellpluggedin.com/air-purifiers I would think one could spend somewhere around 150 to 300 on this depending on the size of the apartment.

There are cheesy little do nothing units for sale. Little bitty humming things one set on a desk. They are good for producing that humming noise and little else.

If the price is less than 150 I would think it's more than likely to be a noise making gadget for folks who swear by humming noise. I'm saying that because it's remarkable how many folks will swear by those little does next to nothing desktop hummers. I've noticed one thing about those folks they tend to be smokers and smokers spouses. They set them next to an ash tray and think they've solved the problem, wishing for a solution to please another seems to please. A placebo.

As I said earlier, I don't have an air conditioner and I don't have a furnace. I have electric ceiling radiant heating which I haven't used in over two years. My allergies aren't as bad as some people's and I can usually control it with generic Zyrtec from Costco. During the summer, I'm in and out all the time so I don't know whether an air purifier would be worth getting. Also, I leave my windows, on both floors, open for the cross-breeze to keep the place cool so I'd probably have to have a unit for the living room and bedroom. Funny, but when I do a 20 - 30 mile bike ride my allergies don't act up. Maybe it's because I'm breathing harder and I'm clearing my system of the pollen.

The only thing I've thought about was buying a portable air conditioner for the couple of weeks of hot weather we have at night. I'm hesitant to buy one because many of the review from companies that test them haven't been overenthusiastic about them so I'll continue to muddle through. I have learned two new ways to clear stuffed sinuses and I'll give them a try next time my are stuffed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I take Zyrtec for the allergy. Works. It also got rid of the hives that the santa ana wind gave me every October.

We do have one of those allergen air filters on the central heat/cool.

It is true that much of the national forest land east of L.A. is now scrubby brush. Of course, the hills I refer to are nearer the ocean. They've always been scrubby brush, at least in historic times since the Spanish stole the land from Native Americans, the Mexicans took over from the Spanish, and the US stole it from the Mexicans. The stuff evolved to burn. It explodes, and the updrafts scatter seeds. Pretty clever. Worked great until silly humans wanted to live in it.

Fear of fire is old, since all they do here is stink up the place and drop ashes all over everything. It's all what you grew up with. We had some dandies in the Rich Kid Ghetto. I have pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

OT:

I was in LA for E3 when the Lakers won. I think it was 2009? Or 2010?

Anyway, we stayed an extra day which was a mistake. We went out for dinner then a few drinks at the website owner's hotel. The riots started up.

We couldn't leave the hotel. We smelled smoked at one point. They flipped a car (I think it was a cab) and set it on fire right at the base of the hotel. Looking out the window offered an insane view. Streets lined everywhere with people.

When my motel mate and I finally left, it was like being in a movie. Cops everywhere, people being arrested on corners. People jumping on cars.

Crazy.