Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:13 am 
Board Emeritus

'Half a dozen' injured in shooting at California bar: Police

Multiple people were injured late Wednesday when a gunman opened fire at a bar in Southern California, authorities told ABC News.

"About a half a dozen" patrons and a sheriff's deputy were among the injured, according to an officer with the Ventura County Sheriff's Office

https://abc7chicago.com/multiple-people ... r/4644713/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Those poor people :(

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:38 am 
Board Emeritus

13 dead. It was reportedly College Night so there were probably a bunch of Cal Lutheran and Pepperdine kids there. :( :( :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

If it is discovered that this was a disgruntled RWNJ who was angry because Republicans didn't sweep the election then take him out and give him a Lubyanka special.

And just to stop Glen the same would apply if it were a LW-er upset that the Dems didn't take the Senate.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 am 
Board Emeritus

'He died a hero': Ventura County Sheriff Sgt. Ron Helus among those killed in bar shooting

The Ventura County Sheriff's Office said one of its officers "died a hero" following a mass shooting at a bar in Thousand Oaks, Calif., which left 13 dead including the gunman.

During a briefing early Thursday morning, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said among those killed was Sheriff Sergeant Ron Helus, a 29-year veteran of the department. Helus was looking to retire "in the next year or so," Dean said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 927917002/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 am 
Board Emeritus

This is the culture we live in. Obviously it's a small percentage of those living in the culture who commit such acts but these acts happen in this culture at this rate like in no other culture in the developed world. It's the gun culture, the self-absorbed, individualist culture that tells us all we can become whatever we want to become and do whatever we want to do. And we have put the epitome of all self-absorbed individualist Americans in the driver's seat just to prove it to the rest of the world and to ourselves. So we have this amazing culture with it's amazing tradition of democratized gun carnage.

Anybody who says there's any way to impact this outside of outlawing the possession all handguns and multi-shot long and short barreld semi-automatic rifles...is really just a self-absorbed asshole following in the tradiiton of wanting what I want regardless of the greater consequences.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 am 
Board Emeritus

This is the culture we live in. Obviously it's a small percentage of those living in the culture who commit such acts but these acts happen in this culture at this rate like in no other culture in the developed world. It's the gun culture, the self-absorbed, individualist culture that tells us all we can become whatever we want to become and do whatever we want to do. And we have put the epitome of all self-absorbed individualist Americans in the driver's seat just to prove it to the rest of the world and to ourselves. So we have this amazing culture with it's amazing tradition of democratized gun carnage.

Anybody who says there's any way to impact this outside of outlawing the possession all handguns and multi-shot long and short barreld semi-automatic rifles...is really just a self-absorbed asshole following in the tradiiton of wanting what I want regardless of the greater consequences.

The American people, in the aggregate, are too immature to handle guns.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am 
Board Emeritus

The American people, in the aggregate, are too immature to handle guns.

I'm pretty sure both of us have been saying for years that this country is not mature enough to have a Second Amendment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:38 am 
Board Emeritus

Ian Long: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy

Quote:
The white male from California died of a gunshot wound at the scene. According to NBC News, the shooter drove his mother’s vehicle to the bar. Police later said they weren’t sure whom the car was registered to, though. Police said the gunman was “heavily tattooed,” but did not provide details about the tattoos, which were used to identify him along with fingerprints, NBC News reports.

4. David Ian Long’s Motive Is Not Yet Known & Some People in the Bar Survived the Las Vegas Mass Shooting :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 am 
Policy Wonk

From Huffington Post.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/th ... il__110818

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am 
Board Emeritus

lived with his mom, "mental health," dodgers fan, ptsd, bla bla blah blah :problem:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

lived with his mom, "mental health," dodgers fan, ptsd, bla bla blah blah :problem:

No shit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is the culture we live in. Obviously it's a small percentage of those living in the culture who commit such acts but these acts happen in this culture at this rate like in no other culture in the developed world.

Dunno. I once raised this point. The stats are there. Next thing I knew the kernel wanted to divert the subject to the # of African-Americans with single mothers.... anything but the subject of the actually most obvious reason for these disparities ... gun availability. The funny thing is some RWers will want to change the subject to 3rd world countries and point out some of those have a higher gun homicide rate. OK, but should we be bragging that our gun homicide rates are lower than that of the Ivory Coast? I think the U.S. should be compared to other developed societies, and there it fares poorly.

We lead the developed world in these insane, ongoing mass shootings. No contest.

Norway leads in fatalities because of how many people, including children, that homicidal maniac Anders Breivik killed. But the more important stat:

Out of 166 mass shootings between 2000 and 2014, 133 of them occurred in the U.S.

Spread around the T & P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno. I once raised this point. The stats are there. Next thing I knew the kernel wanted to divert the subject to the # of African-Americans with single mothers.... anything but the subject of the actually most obvious reason for these disparities ... gun availability. The funny thing is some RWers will want to change the subject to 3rd world countries and point out some of those have a higher gun homicide rate. OK, but should we be bragging that our gun homicide rates are lower than that of the Ivory Coast? I think the U.S. should be compared to other developed societies, and there it fares poorly.

We lead the developed world in these insane, ongoing mass shootings. No contest.

Norway leads in fatalities because of how many people, including children, that homicidal maniac Anders Breivik killed. But the more important stat:

Out of 166 mass shootings between 2000 and 2014, 133 of them occurred in the U.S.

Spread around the T & P.

Yes sir. And it's why I referenced the "developed world." Perhaps it would have been better to say "first world"?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think they mean the same thing, more or less. ;)

And now, here comes gun-cons favorite subject to avoid: what makes the U.S. have these ridiculously high numbers? Graph #3.

No, no, we can't talk about the relationship between chart #3 and the other two I posted.

The 2nd amendment is some kind of bizarre fetishistic talisman that prevents rational discussion of the ginormous elephant in the room. What makes the U.S. so different from all these other societies? Its abject refusal to enact sensible and rational gun control policies that are found in all the others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think they mean the same thing, more or less. ;)

And now, here comes gun-cons favorite subject to avoid: what makes the U.S. have these ridiculously high numbers? Graph #3.

No, no, we can't talk about the relationship between chart #3 and the other two I posted.

The 2nd amendment is some kind of bizarre fetishistic talisman that prevents rational discussion of the ginormous elephant in the room. What makes the U.S. so different from all these other societies? Its abject refusal to enact sensible and rational gun control policies that are found in all the others.

You know me by now...what makes us different is the ingrained and inbred foundation...

Puritanism, utopianism, individualism...combine and season heavily with manifest destiny, and there you have it.

Some sick fucking shit to found the great experiment on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 pm 
Policy Wonk

maybe not a good idea to keep people vulnerable and miserable so they are easy to take advantage of. a lot of misery out there that is imposed and even if not directly imposed on everyone everyone is still interacting with each other.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

True. This is not a good country for ordinary people right now, but you're not supposed to know that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:21 pm 
Policy Wonk

Marchers carry 22-pound packs to raise awareness of veteran suicides

Quote:
Lance Hoey and his 15-year-old son, Connor, marched Saturday morning through three Oakland County cities hauling 22-pound rucksacks in subfreezing temperature with wind and snow whipping their faces.

The Hoeys, of Allen Park, and scores of other people — including Royal Oak Mayor Michael Fournier — participated in the the 5k Ruck 22 March to raise awareness of the roughly 22 U.S. veteran suicides that occur daily and to reflect on the sacrifices military members and their families make to serve.

“I’m a vet, so this is near and dear to my heart,” said Hoey, who served in the U.S. Army. “I was in Operation Desert Shield and have friends who never came back, and I have some friends who came back and were never the same.”

Fournier commended those who braved the mid 20-degree cold to attend the event.

“Thank you to all the great people who came out for such a great cause,” he said. “The number 22 is stuck in my head -- I think about it a lot. We need to bring attention to this serious issue, and we need to do more for our veterans who serve this country and protect our American values.” .................