RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

No Senator, you are lying...you have not released your full tax returns.

And you wont and I know why.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Kamala Harris set to toss hat into presidential ring: Sources

Sen. Kamala Harris has decided to seek the 2020 Democratic nomination for president, sources close to her told KCBS Radio. She'll announce her candidacy on or around Martin Luther King Day, probably at a campaign rally in Oakland, the sources said.

Harris, 54, has been making the rounds of television talk shows and appearing at several events this week as part of a brief tour to promote her new book, "The Truths We Hold: An American Journey."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... smsnnews11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard announces run for president in 2020

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) said that she is running for president in 2020. According to CNN Gabbard told Van Jones she is running.

She plans to make a formal announcement soon. Gabbard is the first Hindu member of Congress.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/rep-tu ... ifications

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I realize some think Gabbard is a progressive, but I question that. Notice who took what side on Trump's judicial nominee.

Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard accuses fellow Democrats of ‘religious bigotry’ in questioning judicial nominee
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 793adde29e

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a potential 2020 White House contender, is accusing some of her fellow Democrats of “religious bigotry” in their questioning of one of President Trump’s judicial nominees.

Gabbard’s claim, made in an op-ed in the Hill newspaper, drew a rebuke Wednesday from another Hawaii Democrat, Sen. Mazie Hirono.

In the op-ed, Gabbard did not name any names. But she argued that some lawmakers had gone too far in their questioning of Brian Buescher, whom Trump nominated in October to serve as a district judge.

“While I oppose the nomination of Brian Buescher to the U.S. District Court in Nebraska, I stand strongly against those who are fomenting religious bigotry, citing as disqualifiers Buescher’s Catholicism and his affiliation with the Knights of Columbus,” Gabbard said in the op-ed.

During his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee in November, and in written questions that he answered in early December, Buescher was asked about his public statements during his 2014 campaign, his position on issues such as abortion as well as his membership in the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic fraternal society.

The organization has in recent years taken steps into the political realm, funding anti-same-sex marriage initiatives in a number of states.

Among those questioning Buescher over his membership in the Knights of Columbus were Hirono and Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.). In response to one question, Buescher defended his membership in the organization, which he said “does not have the authority to take personal political positions on behalf of all of its approximately 2 million members.”

[snip]

Hirono’s office responded Wednesday that Gabbard was mischaracterizing her questioning of Buescher, and that the senator was voicing her concerns about the nominee’s past public statements rather than his religion.

“It is unfortunate that Congresswoman Gabbard based her misguided opinion on the far-right wing manipulation of these straightforward questions,” Hirono spokesman Will Dempster said in a statement.

He added that over the past two years, Hirono “has been attacked by right wing ideologues for her examination of Donald Trump’s ideologically-driven nominees to the courts.”

“Senator Hirono asks all judicial nominees — particularly those who have expressed very strong personal ideological views in conflict with Supreme Court precedent — if they can be fair,” Dempster said. “She asked Mr. Buescher, who has a clear record of anti-choice activism, whether he could separate his personal beliefs from decisions he would make if confirmed for a lifetime appointment on the federal bench.”

[snip][end]

Hirono and Harris were not engaging in "bigotry" against Buescher, and Gabbard was wrong. I'm putting this incident in my already large "do not want" Tulsi G. file.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just saw this on CNN. This is a decent article on her out of The Intercept. It's one of a few that have kept the heat on her about her relationship to Hindu nationalists.

TULSI GABBARD IS A RISING PROGRESSIVE STAR, DESPITE HER SUPPORT FOR HINDU NATIONALISTS

Quote:
THE HINDU AMERICAN Foundation is a prominent, not-for-profit advocacy organization of Hindu-Americans with strong ties to Gabbard. In a 2014 Atlanta speech, Gabbard said she and her team are in touch with HAF on a weekly, if not daily, basis. HAF co-founder and former VHPA activist Mihir Meghani has donated $18,500 to Gabbard’s campaigns and has organized several fundraisers for her. Meghani, a California physician, did not respond to The Intercept’s request for comment. In the 2017-2018 election cycle, individual board members of HAF collectively donated $24,000 to Gabbard’s campaign, the news outlet Sludge reported.

In 2016, the HAF lobbied against the replacement of the word “Indian” with “South Asian” in middle-school history textbooks in California, arguing that the change was essentially an erasure of India itself. These efforts were protested by South Asian academics and activists belonging to India’s minority groups, who said that those on the side of the HAF sought to whitewash California’s history textbooks to present a nativist, blemish-free view of how the Hindu caste system was enforced in India. They also argued that the term “South Asia” correctly represents India’s collective history with countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh. A letter to the California State Board of Education about this issue, which garnered thousands of signatures, was spearheaded by the HAF and signed by more than 100 people who have the same names as donors to Gabbard.

Gabbard’s ties to VHPA members have seeped over from the professional to the personal. Rishi Bhutada, a former director of the Hindu Heritage Youth Camp and officer of the Hindu Students Council — both projects of the VHPA — was invited to Gabbard’s intimate Hawaii wedding. (Also present was prominent BJP strategist Ram Madhav, who delivered a gift from Modi.) Bhutada, who runs a business in Houston, has donated $15,200 to Gabbard’s campaigns.

He told The Intercept that that he initially supported Gabbard because she was the first politician to ever directly ask for his support, which she did after reading about him in a 2011 CNN post. “In that first conversation, I heard something in the way she articulated her views on leadership and on how politicians should serve America, and realized that those were qualities that I wanted to see reflected in the political sphere at large,” Bhutada wrote in an email. “We’ve been friends ever since.” He noted that he’s also donated to the other Hindu-American members of Congress, as well as candidates for office. Bhutada said his involvement with the VHPA-affiliated groups did not make him a Hindu nationalist. “I’ve never been interested in such a philosophy, and I (and HAF in general) routinely get blasted by actual right-wing Hindus,” he wrote.

Like Barai, Meghani, and Bhutada, most of Gabbard’s Sangh-affiliated donors are not from Hawaii. This is reflective of a broader trend in her donor base. Since the 2014 election cycle, California residents have given her campaign $725,520, Texans have contributed $215,060, and New Yorkers have donated $215,810. In the most recent cycle, Gabbard’s campaign received $692,198 — 80.2 percent of her total contributions — from individuals outside Hawaii. Out-of-state contributions are normal for politicians with national ambitions, but Gabbard’s political opponents frequently point to this as one of her weaknesses.

Shay Chan Hodges, Gabbard’s 2016 primary opponent, said that Gabbard skews the political dynamics of Hawaii by not paying attention to the small state. “I say, whatever she thinks about Syria or the Indian prime minister, how does that affect us?” Hodges said. “She’s our congresswoman. We have our own problems.”

Much more in link.

We have been here so many times before. I have an online friend, white guy, progressive Christian pastor, who really wants to see a "progressive woman of color," yadda yadda in Gabbard. I haven't told him this yet but I want to say, give your vote to an actual person, not a fantasy. Tulsi Gabbard is a fantasy candidate for the same left that keeps getting in bed with Alex Jones and RT. Maybe not quite that bad. But the same dynamics are at play.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I realize some think Gabbard is a progressive, but I question that. Notice who took what side on Trump's judicial nominee.

------

I'm putting this incident in my already large "do not want" Tulsi G. file.

Understandable. I rationalize her as being a Southern Democrat from the George Wallace era. She's from the really deep down South.

Hawaii lies North of 19, South of 22. Compare that to Key Largo which is located at 25, every elsewhere being North of that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Former Obama housing chief Julian Castro joins 2020 campaign

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Assailing President Donald Trump for "a crisis of leadership," former Obama Cabinet member Julian Castro joined the 2020 presidential race Saturday as the rush of Democrats making early moves to challenge the incumbent accelerates, while anticipation grows around bigger names still considering a White House run.

Castro, who could end up being the only Latino in what is shaping up to be a crowded Democratic field, put immigration and the record-long government shutdown squarely in the forefront of his announcement in his hometown, less than 200 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-obama-hou ... on-brknews

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Former Obama housing chief Julian Castro joins 2020 campaign

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Assailing President Donald Trump for "a crisis of leadership," former Obama Cabinet member Julian Castro joined the 2020 presidential race Saturday as the rush of Democrats making early moves to challenge the incumbent accelerates, while anticipation grows around bigger names still considering a White House run.

Castro, who could end up being the only Latino in what is shaping up to be a crowded Democratic field, put immigration and the record-long government shutdown squarely in the forefront of his announcement in his hometown, less than 200 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-obama-hou ... on-brknews

The article kind of gives advance suggestion about how his media campaign might go. The article say's he was housing chief in one spot, and cabinet member in another. That's faint praise, he needs to see a more respectful press than that.

The article doesn't say he was Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, of the thirteenth level of Presidential succession.

Back then had the president and the twelve before him in succession been nuked, he would've been President.

Some folks say it's unlucky to be number thirteen.

:|

That which I brought up would tend to suggest that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 am 
Board Emeritus

The one person i know who works for CBS that fits this topic James Brown

Ocasio-Cortez calls out CBS News for not assigning a 'single black journalist to cover the 2020 election'

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y) criticized CBS News Saturday night for what she considered lack of diversity in its team of reporters covering the upcoming 2020 presidential election.

“This WH admin has made having a functional understanding of race in America one of the most important core competencies for a political journalist to have, yet [CBS News] hasn’t assigned a *single* black journalist to cover the 2020 election,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a tweet.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4250 ... journalist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am 
Board Emeritus

She's running.

Gillibrand hires 3 senior staffers ahead of Iowa visit
The New York Democrat is expanding her political operation ahead of an expected presidential run.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... rs-1097166

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's political operation has hired three senior staffers ahead of an expected presidential campaign launch.

It's the latest sign of movement toward a 2020 campaign from the New York Democrat, who is also planning a trip to Iowa next weekend. Gillibrand has kept a close-knit circle of staff around her in the Senate, and her longtime chief of staff, Jess Fassler, has been tapped to serve as her presidential campaign manager.

The expansion of Gillibrand’s team to include wider roster of veteran Democratic operatives is the strongest signal yet that a presidential announcement is imminent.

[snip][end]

Is she gonna be my first choice in what I think the primary field of candidates is shaping up to be? No. I like her, could theoretically be an excellent nominee, but ehrrrm, not certain she's best option. And I will say this, though, I think too many people sort of "blame" her for Franken's resignation, but it was his choice and she was hardly the first to inveigh against him.

We certainly could still use our first female president, but even as of now I think I prefer certain other females likely to be in the race.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

She's running.

Gillibrand hires 3 senior staffers ahead of Iowa visit
The New York Democrat is expanding her political operation ahead of an expected presidential run.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... rs-1097166

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's political operation has hired three senior staffers ahead of an expected presidential campaign launch.

It's the latest sign of movement toward a 2020 campaign from the New York Democrat, who is also planning a trip to Iowa next weekend. Gillibrand has kept a close-knit circle of staff around her in the Senate, and her longtime chief of staff, Jess Fassler, has been tapped to serve as her presidential campaign manager.

The expansion of Gillibrand’s team to include wider roster of veteran Democratic operatives is the strongest signal yet that a presidential announcement is imminent.

[snip][end]

Is she gonna be my first choice in what I think the primary field of candidates is shaping up to be? No. I like her, could theoretically be an excellent nominee, but ehrrrm, not certain she's best option. And I will say this, though, I think too many people sort of "blame" her for Franken's resignation, but it was his choice and she was hardly the first to inveigh against him.

We certainly could still use our first female president, but even as of now I think I prefer certain other females likely to be in the race.

Not my first choice either. What sets her apart is she had the standing to have run in 2016, it would have been nice to have had her in that race. Early in 2015 it didn't look like Democrats were going to have it easy, it was the Republicans turn, risky for an aspiring kind to run and then not win. Now Democrats have an apparent tail wind. So it's pretty clear she's a fair weather sailing sort.

Harris started positioning herself before it became apparent that there would be a really nice tail wind for 2020.

:| A little big thing.

Gillibrand's a Yankee. Seems to me like Yankees have been dominating both parties quit enough. Time for change. And it would be near the halfway point in 2019 before I would have the spelling of her name down to the point I wouldn't feel the need to look it up.

Might as well list out all of the issues I have with her. Which is a round about way to saying in the primary, no, in the general heck yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

De Blasio on 2020 bid: 'I never rule things out'

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) on Sunday said he is "focused on the job I have" but "never" rules out the possibility of running for president.

"You never know what life brings," de Blasio told CNN's "State of the Union."

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... t-2020-bid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Gillibrand to kickstart 2020 White House bid before weekend Iowa trip

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) is expected to announce this week that she is forming an exploratory committee for a 2020 presidential bid, according to a source familiar with the plans.

The move would represent a formal step toward seeking the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020. Gillibrand would join Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) as the second Democratic senator to announce forming an exploratory committee.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... re-weekend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Campaign workers demand minimum wage, progressive culture from 2020 Dems

Unionizing. Paying interns $15 an hour. Ensuring time off. Institutionalizing salary transparency.

To staffers on presidential campaigns past, who were long accustomed to brutal hours and low pay, that was the stuff of liberal fantasies.

But this cycle, there is an intensifying conviction among progressive operatives that internal campaign culture should reflect the very values that 2020 Democratic hopefuls passionately tout on the trail.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politi ... 23110.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Campaign workers demand minimum wage, progressive culture from 2020 Dems

Unionizing. Paying interns $15 an hour. Ensuring time off. Institutionalizing salary transparency.

To staffers on presidential campaigns past, who were long accustomed to brutal hours and low pay, that was the stuff of liberal fantasies.

But this cycle, there is an intensifying conviction among progressive operatives that internal campaign culture should reflect the very values that 2020 Democratic hopefuls passionately tout on the trail.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politi ... 23110.html

IDK what "progressive culture" is supposed to be, but paying interns $15 and ensuring time off is a good start. I think this is a really good idea.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:06 am 
Board Emeritus

Headlines are popping up, this is CNN's:

Elizabeth Warren to pitch 'wealth tax' on richest Americans

Some countries do it. France did it until recently. It amounted to something like one to two percent of what they collected, required an additional tax system be created and maintained. But they dropped it, so did Sweden, quite a few European countries have dropped it.

It wouldn't pass in the US unless it had been thoroughly sabotaged in the drafting of the bill and attached poison amendments. So it's Warrens shines brightest object going nowhere.

It's not a great way to get the primary going. Sanders started the bidding for shines brightest policies pipe dreams last time around.

:|

Trump's going to hit her for this, hit her hard. After all it's his idea, he'd have to lie to say it wasn't.

Warren proposed a 3% rate per year for billionaires, Trump proposed a one time 14.25% rate. He's going to call her a piker.

I'm not kidding, read about it here:

Trump proposes massive one-time tax on the rich
By Phil Hirschkorn/CNN
November 9, 1999

I made that headline Trump sized for Trump's rump. Notice that 1999 date. He was a candidate for the Reform Party presidential nomination back then.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/ ... LLPOLITICS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

LA Mayor Eric Garcetti will not be running for president in 2020: report

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti will not be running for president in 2020, Politico reported Tuesday.

The political report was based on three sources.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/la-may ... ifications

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 am 
Board Emeritus

So, we can use this for not-running as well as maybe-running or is-running announcements.

Podesta: Clinton is not running for president
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... of-vpx.cnn

He also said while he enjoyed being in the barrel, he was glad Roger Stone was going to be spending time there now. :D

I don't think her public life is over. The Clinton Foundation is still operating, and now that neither of them are formally in government, probably freer to do stuff.

SCOTUS appointment? My oh my. Heads would explode. :rw)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Marianne Williamson is Oprah’s spiritual adviser. She’s also running for president.

The 2020 election has already seen a motley crew of non-politicians express interest in running for the presidency, from fugitive/disgraced cybersecurity impresario John McAfee to former Starbucks CEO and self-aggrandizing billionaire Howard Schultz. Yet perhaps none of the potential nominees has been as head-scratch-worthy as author and spiritual leader Marianne Williamson, who formally announced her candidacy on Monday night.

In a live-streamed event broadcast from a Beverly Hills theater, Williamson strode onto the stage against the backdrop of a giant American flag, to rapturous reception from the crowd. She announced that she wanted to run for president as a way “to engage voters in a more meaningful conversation about America, about our history, about how each of us fit into it, and how to create a sustainable future.”

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/30/18203811/ ... -candidate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

Marianne Williamson is Oprah’s spiritual adviser. She’s also running for president.

The 2020 election has already seen a motley crew of non-politicians express interest in running for the presidency, from fugitive/disgraced cybersecurity impresario John McAfee to former Starbucks CEO and self-aggrandizing billionaire Howard Schultz. Yet perhaps none of the potential nominees has been as head-scratch-worthy as author and spiritual leader Marianne Williamson, who formally announced her candidacy on Monday night.

In a live-streamed event broadcast from a Beverly Hills theater, Williamson strode onto the stage against the backdrop of a giant American flag, to rapturous reception from the crowd. She announced that she wanted to run for president as a way “to engage voters in a more meaningful conversation about America, about our history, about how each of us fit into it, and how to create a sustainable future.”

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/30/18203811/ ... -candidate

Just what we need, she could be called the "Woo Woo President." Maybe nominate Nancy Reagan's astrologer for Secretary of State. :o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

IF she chooses Dr. Phil for her vice president, I'm really going to attack this ticket. :D

I understand "being Oprah's spiritual guru" brings her some automatic cachet, but not my support.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

IF she chooses Dr. Phil for her vice president, I'm really going to attack this ticket. :D

I understand "being Oprah's spiritual guru" brings her some automatic cachet, but not my support.

My wife adores the Dr. Phil family.

The first and LAST time I watched a full episode was 5 or more years ago, I watched a typical substance abuse story, I watched Phil diagnose it exactly the way I would have and prescribe exactly the way I would.

Now granted I have more experience than most in this area, but he did nothing unusual or unique or special. I could have just as easily done the show, resolved the issues the same way.

Whether or not I would come across ON CAMERA as convincing and interesting as he does (not to me but obviously to others, hence his huge fortune) is another question. But is he a highly skilled professional that warrants the show and attention he gets, hell no.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

We can argue about his diagnostic skills. I think his televisual performance ones are stronger. :D

Is he qualified to be VP? No more so than Marianne is for the top slot, and that's my main point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 pm 
Policy Wonk

I just find him incredibly annoying. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

No Chance.

Swalwell: 'I'm close to making a decision' on 2020

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) says he is close to deciding whether to run for president in 2020.

"I'm close to making a decision. I'll be in New Hampshire tomorrow, so I'm excited for that," Swalwell told CNN on Wednesday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... on-on-2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next