Amen Corner: Liberal and Progressive Religion Stories in the News

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Amen Corner: Liberal and Progressive Religion Stories in the News

Post by carmenjonze »

@RobertEllsberg
@RobertEllsberg

The 1st issue of the Catholic Worker was distributed at a rally in Union Square on May 1 1933, but perhaps the true origin of the CW was on Dec 8 1932, Feast of the Immaculate Conception, when Dorothy Day offered a prayer with “tears and anguish” to find her vocation.

https://twitter.com/RobertEllsberg/stat ... 2601652226

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

Want to fix racist policing? Take away immunity. Give officers more ethics training instead.
Jim Wallis Opinion contributor

As the writer Ta-Nehisi Coates has written, the combination of maximum power, in some cases the power over life and death, with minimum responsibility means that, too often, police departments “lord over (minority communities) with all the moral authority of a protection racket.”......

.....Most of us agree our policing system is broken – and qualified immunity is at the core of that broken system. It has become a shield for police abuse, protecting law enforcement from accountability, which is the only way to create trust.

How can we change this? Moral instruction would be a good start. I don’t except police departments to start Bible study programs, but why not introduce ethics classes in police academies? These classes could be nonsectarian, rooted in religious concepts such as imago Dei but inclusive of all – including those of no faith background.

When we are granting these officers the power over life and death, we should ensure their consciences are informed by the best of our religious and moral traditions. Anything less is criminal negligence.......
more at link
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:46 am The Amen Corner continues.

Archbishop Riordan is a RCC diocese school in San Francisco.

S.F.'s Riordan high school students walk out during antiabortion presentation - SF Chronicle
Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone is one of group very Conservative R.C. who want Pope Francis to resign, step down, step back or whatever you want to call it. Cordileone is also big on denying Pelosi and Biden Communion.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

marindem01 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:49 pm Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone is one of group very Conservative R.C. who want Pope Francis to resign, step down, step back or whatever you want to call it. Cordileone is also big on denying Pelosi and Biden Communion.
Cordelione is a far right fascist.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Field Guide to Christian Nonviolence
Christian nonviolence is not a settled position but a vibrant and living tradition. This book offers a concise introduction to diverse approaches to, proponents of, and resources for this tradition. It explores the myriad biblical, theological, and practical dimensions of Christian nonviolence as represented by a variety of twentieth- and twenty-first-century thinkers and movements, including previously underrepresented voices. The authors invite readers to explore this tradition and discover how they might live out the gospel in our modern world.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Rev. Dr. Chuck Currie
@RevChuckCurrie

For all those rage Tweeting "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED,” I’ll raise you one Biblical verse:

“YOU SHALL NOT MURDER.”

- Exodus 20:13

https://twitter.com/RevChuckCurrie/stat ... 5296026624

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

These churches exist, by the way. I know of several, and know many people who attend them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

I wouldn’t be surprised if BoBo’s “church” is involved in human trafficking, considering who she and her husband are.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Hon. Vicky Kolakowski is also an ordained minister, and professor at USF School of Law.

The Role of Religious Objections to Transgender and Nonbinary Inclusion and Equality and/or Gender Identity Protection - ABA
Protections for transgender rights have increased in recent years, largely through executive action and litigation. Unsurprisingly, these advancements come into conflict with the sincerely held religious beliefs of some people. Ultimately, the clashes of rights are resolved in the judicial arena.

Few religious traditions have clearly stated positions on the place of transgender people either in their institutions or society at large, and most of those have been crafted in the past few decades. This is not surprising, because although transgender people have existed throughout time, access to viable medical treatments to modify the human body to conform anatomy and physiology to a person’s gender identity only developed over the past century or so. Direct guidance from holy texts does not exist.

The core basis for many of the faith-based objections to transgender and nonbinary acceptance comes from deeply ingrained theologically grounded worldviews. Certain people see humanity as having been created by a divine being who specifically created humans as male and as female. This serves a reproductive purpose, and, for many, also differentiates the roles that people are expected to play in the world. To them, biological sex is divinely ordained and assigned to each person according to divine will.

It is therefore unsurprising that some people of faith will treat others according to their assigned sex at birth and will consider requiring them to acknowledge another’s gender identity to either be untruthful and/or unfaithful. They will not accept a person’s stated gender identity, and they will not accept the possibility that there are any nonbinary people.
More in link.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Drak wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:59 am I wouldn’t be surprised if BoBo’s “church” is involved in human trafficking, considering who she and her husband are.
All of these cons are perverts and the groomers they accuse us of being. :problem:

Their whole social background is based in human trafficking starting in like 1511.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Mr. Rogers was a Presbyterian minister.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Florida clergy lawsuits say abortion ban violates religious freedom
https://news.yahoo.com/florida-clergy-l ... 59890.html

Clergy members of five religions sued the state of Florida on Monday over a new law criminalizing most abortions in the state after 15 weeks of pregnancy, saying the ban violates their religious freedom rights.

The five separate lawsuits https://tmsnrt.rs/3BBEdIr, filed in Miami-Dade County, claim the state's ban curtails the clergy members' ability to counsel congregants about abortion in accordance with their faiths, since Florida law prohibits counseling or encouraging a crime.

The plaintiffs are three rabbis, a United Church of Christ reverend, a Unitarian Universalist minister, an Episcopal Church priest and a Buddhist lama. They asked the court to declare that the state's abortion law violates Florida and U.S. constitutional protections for freedom of speech and religion.

They also claim the abortion ban violates a Florida religious freedom law that prohibits the government from “substantially burdening” the exercise of religion, unless there is a compelling state interest that cannot be met with fewer restrictions.

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody said in a statement that her office will continue to defend the statute. Marci Hamilton, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania representing the plaintiffs, said the cases are "absolutely essential" to address the tension between abortion restrictions and religious freedom.

A Florida synagogue has also filed a lawsuit challenging the abortion law. That case is pending in a different state court.

[snip][end]

BTW:
https://www.americamagazine.org/politic ... gbt-243108

64% of American Catholics describe themselves as pro-choice (or supporting such policies on abortion). This is HIGHER than evangelical Protestants.

Only 25% of evangelicals hold that view.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Sept. 3, 1868: Henry McNeal Turner Addressed the Georgia Legislature - Zinn Education Project

Nooobody gave sicker burns than Bishop Henry McNeal Turner! Haha I love him.
Mr. Speaker: Before proceeding to argue this question upon its intrinsic merits, I wish the members of this House to understand the position that I take. I hold that I am a member of this body. Therefore, sir, I shall neither fawn nor cringe before any party, nor stoop to beg them for my rights. . . .

You may expel us, gentlemen, but I firmly believe that you will some day repent it.

The Black man cannot protect a country, if the country doesn’t protect him; and if, tomorrow, a war should arise, I would not raise a musket to defend a country where my manhood is denied.

The fashionable way in Georgia, when hard work is to be done, is for the white man to sit at his ease while the Black man does the work; but, sir, I will say this much to the colored men of Georgia, as, if I should be killed in this campaign, I may have no opportunity of telling them at any other time: Never lift a finger nor raise a hand in defense of Georgia, until Georgia acknowledges that you are men and invests you with the rights pertaining to manhood. Read in full.

On Sept. 3, 1868, Henry McNeal Turner addressed the Georgia Legislature on its decision to expel himself and the other African American representatives from the legislature.

Listen to an excerpt of the speech read by Danny Glover from Voices of a People’s History of the United States and read the full speech at BlackPast.
[VIDEO]

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:09 pm Sept. 3, 1868: Henry McNeal Turner Addressed the Georgia Legislature - Zinn Education Project

Nooobody gave sicker burns than Bishop Henry McNeal Turner! Haha I love him.

[VIDEO]
Some things havent changed

The fashionable way in Georgia, when hard work is to be done, is for the white man to sit at his ease while the Black man does the work
I sigh in your general direction.
bird

Post by bird »

ProfX wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:15 am Florida clergy lawsuits say abortion ban violates religious freedom
https://news.yahoo.com/florida-clergy-l ... 59890.html

Clergy members of five religions sued the state of Florida on Monday over a new law criminalizing most abortions in the state after 15 weeks of pregnancy, saying the ban violates their religious freedom rights.

The five separate lawsuits https://tmsnrt.rs/3BBEdIr, filed in Miami-Dade County, claim the state's ban curtails the clergy members' ability to counsel congregants about abortion in accordance with their faiths, since Florida law prohibits counseling or encouraging a crime.

The plaintiffs are three rabbis, a United Church of Christ reverend, a Unitarian Universalist minister, an Episcopal Church priest and a Buddhist lama. They asked the court to declare that the state's abortion law violates Florida and U.S. constitutional protections for freedom of speech and religion.

They also claim the abortion ban violates a Florida religious freedom law that prohibits the government from “substantially burdening” the exercise of religion, unless there is a compelling state interest that cannot be met with fewer restrictions.

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody said in a statement that her office will continue to defend the statute. Marci Hamilton, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania representing the plaintiffs, said the cases are "absolutely essential" to address the tension between abortion restrictions and religious freedom.

A Florida synagogue has also filed a lawsuit challenging the abortion law. That case is pending in a different state court.

[snip][end]

BTW:
https://www.americamagazine.org/politic ... gbt-243108

64% of American Catholics describe themselves as pro-choice (or supporting such policies on abortion). This is HIGHER than evangelical Protestants.

Only 25% of evangelicals hold that view.
I recall reading somewhere that the RW stopped using free speech as their weapon and shifted to freedom of religion. It would be nice to see them kicked in the ass by their own methods.

That being said, they do NOT want religion in the public square because the end result would be discussion, critique and derision of dogma. They simply want their own religious dogma enshrined as law by skipping legislation at firs, utilizing activist judges and then legislation if they have majorities.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

James Martin, SJ
@JamesMartinSJ

Once again the Supreme Court will take up the question of whether someone can refuse to do business with a same-sex couple because it offends their Christian beliefs. But notice that these business owners don't have a problem with (nor should they) serving non-Christians...

More broadly, Christian business owners have no problems serving Jewish, Buddhist or Hindu customers (nor should they) who don't believe in the most fundamental Christian beliefs, like the Trinity, the Incarnation and the Resurrection....

In other words, these Christian business owners have no problems serving people who don't believe in Jesus, perhaps the most basic Christian belief...None of these Catholic or Christian business owners has said, as far as I know, "If I am forced to serve a non-Christian, it would mean that I was supporting someone who doesn't believe in Jesus, and this is something that my conscience will not allow..."

In the guise of "religious liberty," Catholic business owners could deny services to Protestants and, more broadly, Christians could deny services to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists, agnostics and so on. But this, as far as I know, would be illegal...

So if this is about a business owner's conscience being offended by serving a person with different beliefs (or a person who practices something that they find offensive) then the most generous interpretation is that their consciences are being highly selective...

The only matter that seems to offend the consciences of these few Catholic and Christian business leaders is same-sex marriage. So let's not call this a case of "religious liberty." Let's call it what it is: homophobia.

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/statu ... 6988869635

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

SC will take away all rights for everyone but str8t white xtian males.

ALL...

Not hard to predict. And the DNC under Biden or whoever will NOT increase the court and that is the end as far as I am concerned.

Of course this court will side with the bigot Gay haters...The law is basic stuff, you CANT accept the benefit of the commons that we ALL pay for including Gay people and refuse to serve them. CANT unless you want to violate the Constitution, which this SC will do over and over again.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Clergy United Against the Death Penalty - Facebook
OUR BOARD OF ADVISORS:

Bishop Jim St. George
Catholic Representative
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Dr. Sahar Alsahani
Muslim Representative
Stoney Point, New York

Stefanie Anderson
Abolitionist Representative
Seattle, Washington

Cantor Mike Zoosman
Jewish Representative
Bethesda, Maryland

The Rev. Dr. Kyle Sigmon
Unite Methodist Representative
Boone, North Carolina

Bishop John Gee
Emergent Representative
Cibolo, Texas

The Rev. Dr. Horace McMillan
Mennonite Representative
Jackson, Mississippi

The Rev. Dr. Jerry Maynard
Catholic Representative
Houston, Texas

Alli Sullivan
Abolitionist Representative
Eugene, Oregon

Dr. Majadi Buruti
Emerging Representative
Birmingham, Alabama

The Rev. Dr. Scott Masters
United Methodist Representative
Chesterfield, New Hampshire

The Rev. Dr. Augustine Tanner-Ihm
Church of England Representative
Manchester, United Kingdom

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Satire post of the day:

Benjamin Dixon
@BenjaminPDixon

It’s come to my attention that @elonmusk has declared war our faith.

We at the First Church of Antifa will not suffer any attacks on our religious liberty.

We defend our faith and our comrades with the second amendment.

Sincerely,

Pastor Dixon
Pastor of Antifa

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/stat ... 3883718657

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:14 pm Satire post of the day:

Benjamin Dixon
@BenjaminPDixon

It’s come to my attention that @elonmusk has declared war our faith.

We at the First Church of Antifa will not suffer any attacks on our religious liberty.

We defend our faith and our comrades with the second amendment.

Sincerely,

Pastor Dixon
Pastor of Antifa

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/stat ... 3883718657
Perfect, now if we can just get rid of Twitter completely. And We can all meet on Mastodon and later on, a place called Post.